Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

My Father Suprised Me Today

comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
edited June 2005 in Buddhism Today
My dad called me today and boy did he suprise me. My mom was killed by a doctor almost 2 years ago. He messed up a procedure and my dad to watch my mom screaming for help while she died. It was horrible. Well my dad has been spending all this time depressed and all that.

All my life my father has been very anger, judgemental, and he loves those racial slurrs. Typical American, lol. Well lately he has been spending time with a lady at work who is white, indian, and black. Suprising since he always said he never wanted my little sister to date any "n1gger". Well I asked him about all the stuff when I was kid and he said "I never really believed all that". Funny because this is the first I have ever heard of it, lol.

My dad has also been a heavy smoker. He told me he is trying to quit. I really have hope for him. I worry about him all the time and I am glad to see he is coping better and getting on with his life.

Comments

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited June 2005
    everyone is redeemable. No matter how low they've sunk, they can become enlightened in this life. Read the story of Angulimala :)
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited June 2005
    And where would I read that Brian?
  • edited June 2005
    I happy to hear that comic! :bigclap:

Maybe meeting someone made him think about life. And cherish it more. ^_^
    edited June 2005
    I don't know. I am curious to see how he turns out.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2005
    I don't know about anybody else, but it's got to the point where I'm kinda becoming the Mum to my mother.... you know the song that contains the line, "Children, teach your parents well..."
    (Who IS that by??!!)
    Well, she's on the 'phone to me all the time asking me stuff, and wanting info and opinion.... really odd... i'm conscious of it as I speak to her... I'm thinking; "shouldn't this be the other way round....?" But what the heck.... in 40 years, I can hassle MY daughter....! :lol:
    edited June 2005
    I can see my two daughters doing the same to me in 40 years. LOL
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited June 2005
    comicallyinsane:

the story of Angulimala :)
  • edited June 2005
    Wow, what a story...It makes me happy to think that anyone can become enlightened, no matter what their background history is. And comicallyinsane, I hope your father finds happiness in this new girl you're talking about. I also hope he is successful in his decision to quit smoking. I wish him good luck. ^_^
    edited June 2005
    Thank you.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2005
    Fede,

This?
    You, who are on the road must have a code that you can live by.
    And so become yourself because the past is just a good bye.
    Teach your children well, their father's hell did slowly go by,
    And feed them on your dreams, the one they fix, the one you'll know by.
    Don't you ever ask them why, if they told you, you would cry,
    So just look at them and sigh and know they love you.

And you, of the tender years can't know the fears that your elders grew by,
    And so please help them with your youth, they seek the truth before they can die.
    Teach your parents well, their children's hell will slowly go by,
    And feed them on your dreams, the one they fix,the one you'll know by.
    Don't you ever ask them why, if they told you, you would cry,
    So just look at them and sigh and know they love you.

Written by Graham Nash (Crosby, Stills and Nash)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2005
    Yep, that's the one.... cool; love C S & N.... makes my hairs stand on end....
    Simon you are such a font of knowlege... you remind me of the Jeeves and Wooster quotation

Wooster: "I say Jeeves, jolly well done! Gosh, do you know EVERYTHING?
    Jeeves: "I don't know sir"....

Thank you Simon! :)