Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Translation please

edited April 2006 in Buddhism Today
I heard a beautiful chant the other day. I was told it was the *Green Tara mantra*. I can't find a translation anywhere. Could anyone confirm and translate?:

on dalieh du dalieh dulieh souha

Thanks

Emma

Comments

• BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Hi, Emma.

I can't find any translation either but these mantras are usually just a repetition of Tara's names along with OM and other sounds.

This is all I could really find:
    Mantra of Joy by Wind Records ($29.95)

mantraj_small.jpg

The words "on dalieh du dalieh dulieh souha" comprise the Green Tara mantra of Tibetan Buddhism. It is believed that these sacred words hold great power and that disease, disasters and bad karma are eradicated by the chanting of this mantra. The Wind Records album MANTRA OF JOY features five compositions that are cantered on these words. The pieces are contemporary by nature, featuring piano, violin, flute, drums and keyboards fused together to create atmospheres that are euphoric and joyful. Also included are two extended length cuts of the songs "Young Girls' Mantra of Joy" and "Garden of Paradise."

It was on a website called brainwaves.
  • edited April 2006
    Hi Emma....it may not have a direct translation, but I have on my 'favorites' list this site that explains the different backgrounds and such of Tara...hope you can find it useful...

www.khandro.net/deities_Tara1.htm

Sharpie
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2006
    emma wrote:
    I heard a beautiful chant the other day. I was told it was the *Green Tara mantra*. I can't find a translation anywhere. Could anyone confirm and translate?:

on dalieh du dalieh dulieh souha

Thanks

Emma

This sounds like the Tara Mantra......

Om Tare Tuttare Ture Soha.....

10 Syllables (they're big on syllables, is Buddhists...!)

I quote -

"Although Mantras cannot usually be translated, here is an approximate sense of what the words mean:

OM represents the Body, Speech and Mind of Tara, and your own body speech and mind as you recite the mantra.

TARE (pron. Tah-rey) Means 'one who liberates from suffering'.

TUTTARE (pron. Too-Tah rey) Means one who liberates from the Eight Fears.*

TURE (pron. Too-rey) Means 'one who liberates from all illnesses'.

SOHA (pron. So-har) Means 'Lay the foundation'. You are asking Tara to join her Body Speech and Mind to yours and bring you closer to her, so that your Essence may meld indistingushably with hers."

Godsfield Publications.

* THE EIGHT FEARS:
    Lions = Pride (appropriately!)
    Drunken Elephants = Ignorance
    Fire = Anger
    Snakes = Jealousy
    Thieves = Wrong Views
    Shackles = Stinginess
    Water = Desire
    Ghosts = Doubt
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Hey, Fede!

That was cool! I'll have to get my hands on a copy of that book. I like the vibrations of mantra chanting and it makes my back feel better. I've always wanted to know what they meant so I could chant them with my heart. I think I'm going to do some research on this.

I've copied your post for my own reference. Thank you!

Love,
    Brigid
  • edited April 2006
    Thanks for all your help! I like to know what it is I'm chanting just because ... well, just because I like to know what I'm chanting!

Thanks again,

Emma
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited April 2006
    I have an example of me chanting...

www.claymohr.com/mp3/chanting.wav

-bf
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited April 2006
    I was going to use this soundfile initially, but had a hard time finding it.

Reminds me of Palzang when he chants...

www.claymohr.com/mp3/jibbrish.wav

-bf
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2006
    :lol:

BF I love you....You always bring such depth to the discussion....
    You're such a dong-brain....

Don't you ever change...... !!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited April 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    Reminds me of Palzang when he chants...

OM MOMMY PAT MY HEAD
    OM MOMMY PAT MY HEAD
    OM MOMMY PAT MY HEAD
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2006
    LOL!!!

I'm never going to get that one out of my head!

Brigid