Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Has Anyone Experienced Feeling Like They Are Turning To Stone?

AllbuddhaBoundAllbuddhaBound Veteran
edited April 2012 in Meditation
Weirdest sensation while meditating. Never had it before. Just wondered if anyone else has.

Comments

• Like solid?
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    I think you're going to have to describe this a little bit more...
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    @AllbuddhaBound, do you mean you feel heavy and that you can't move?
    Do you feel cold?
    Do you feel completely rooted to the spot?
  • Yes. Sometimes it feels like my arms, and rarely my legs, are gigantic and/or made of stone. Just go with it :)
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited April 2012
    @AllbuddhaBound Yes. I experienced all kinds of funny physical sensations... but not for a while. They are not unique or special....they are typical, It is just what happens when sitting with concentration ...and sustaining it.

...some of these might be familiar

...the body dissolves in a swarm of electrified particles
    ...Body distortion,, sensations of really long arms, or being only one inch tall..
    ....feeling like the inside of the body is infinite space
    ....the feeling of weighing many tons yet being weightless at the same time..
    ...micro-pain in every cell
    ...micro-pleasure in every cell
    ... having a knee suddenly go ballistic with excruciating pain
    ....the feeling of having cracked bones
    ....the body disappearing
    ... the body, thought and feeling disappearing..
    ...dissolving into space..
    ...dissolving into a dimensionless point
    ....stopping.. like before God for flash.. timelessness.
    ....getting assaulted by fierce and violent images.. one time I was treated to a series of executions
    ....sudden sexual arousal
    .... hyper-charisma
    ...feeling like sludge
    ......falling asleep.

... there is so much of this kind of thing.. it just comes and goes.. "not about a condition, but conditions as such". they just come and go..
  • Did you open your eyes and saw before you that greek goddess who turns people to stone when one looks into her eyes by any chance?
  • Medusa was a nasty piece of work...
  • That wuld be a case of bad luck, trying to find some inner peace and meditate, when you open your eyes and Medusa is sat their gazing at you with her snake fro.
  • I thought you were talking about Lot's wife there for a minute, but that was salt, not stone. :)
  • LMAO, oh mountains. Your sense of humor is akind to that of British humour in a way, always makes me smile :) The bitter sarcasm :lol:
  • Just to clarify, it was a feeling like my arms and feet were encased in stone, but it was also as if they were solid stone. Hard to explain. A very funny sensation.

The day before I meditated for two hours solid and then another hour this morning and I experienced the feelings today, not yesterday. That was the first time I ever meditated for a long time like that.

I know it will come and go but I will enjoy it while I can. I seem to experience things like being wood and now stone. So weird.
  • @AllbuddhaBound, do you mean you feel heavy and that you can't move?
    Do you feel cold?
    Do you feel completely rooted to the spot?
    I felt cold and very solid. I did not want to move. I liked the feeling and I guess I thought it would go away if I moved.

• xabirxabir Veteran
    Weirdest sensation while meditating. Never had it before. Just wondered if anyone else has.
    Does the sense of body seem to disappear? Does bliss arise?

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited May 2012
    Give it a few seconds for the first few lyrics. :D

• VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    Just to clarify, it was a feeling like my arms and feet were encased in stone, but it was also as if they were solid stone. Hard to explain. A very funny sensation.

The day before I meditated for two hours solid and then another hour this morning and I experienced the feelings today, not yesterday. That was the first time I ever meditated for a long time like that.

I know it will come and go but I will enjoy it while I can. I seem to experience things like being wood and now stone. So weird.
    If you stay still for a long while this is a pretty common feeling. Feels a bit weird but not uncomfortable.

When you wake in the morning and very very slowly close your hands you get a similar feeling.

/Victor
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    In one monastery, that meditative state was called the "iron man". Those experiencing it would describe feeling something within that was immovable like an iron ball. A number of scriptures make reference to it. Like all meditative experiences, it has a birth, a life and a death. Your job as a meditater is to just not fiddle with it.