Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

New? Introduce Yourself to NB Members!

Lady_AlisonLady_Alison Veteran
edited March 2014 in General Banter
Hi, newbies... I guess I'm considered a newbie, too, in a way. I just joined like in January so I'm fairly new.

I just wanted to say welcome to everyone that joined in the past week. We seem to have more traffic than I've seen in Months!

Which makes it so nice... Fresh meat!

So If you want to just pip in a say a few words about yourself that would be cool.

Maybe you can share a weird hobbie or trick you can do that no one else can.

In any case! WELCOME NEWBIES!!
TheEccentricanatamanEarthninjazenyattaSophie101[Deleted User]primada

Comments

• enkoenko Explorer
    edited April 2012
    guess i qualify.....i was looking for a buddhist forum and newbuddhist was top of googles list :D

from sydney, australia, 35 ....work as a financial adviser which is interesting considering i am a lefty/greeny buddhist

some of my fav things....the ocean, DJ', my dogs and animals generally and football (real football!)

thanks for the welcome :)
    herberto
  • Well, thx for the welcome. I have no "tricks" to share w/you guys. I can tell you a few interesting things about myself. I raise Baldwin, Cuy and Skinny pigs, as well Russian Wolfhounds, Giant Flemish Bunnies, and Standard Poodles. We also have Russian Legless Lizards, parrots, and Kei Island Blue Tongue Skinks.

I'm currently pursuing my 2nd grad degree in mental health counseling (1st is in Human Services and my undergrad is in IT).

I love to ride my bike (Vstar Classic, 1300), read, and drink hot tea on cold mornings. I should also add that I love to snuggle under warm blankets on cold mornings and that I think I might be part Eskimo because I love the cold. This gives me the opportunity to lead with the information that I have to sleep with my feet out of the covers, if it's anything over 60 degrees! LOL.

I once lived with 9 monkeys on the property (worked with released lab monks), consisting of Rhesus/Java Macaques, Snow Macaques, and New World monks such as Capuchins, Spider monks, and Squirrel monks. If it matters, I always seemed to get along better with the Old World Monks.

I also drove a truck throughout 48 states, Mexico and Canada, from 1998-2003 with Interstate Distributor Company, out of WA.

Oh and every time I've ever had my aura "read" (by machines, or people) it is always white which I have been told means I'm a spiritual seeker...Go figure, with me ending up here....

Hope I haven't bored anyone and I'll sign off here before this turns into a long autobio!

With Much Love,

Greenfire AKA Traci
    oceancaldera207SwaroopSkyDakini2
  • guess i qualify.....i was looking for a buddhist forum and newbuddhist was top of googles list :D

from sydney, australia, 35 ....work as a financial adviser which is interesting considering i am a lefty/greeny buddhist

some of my fav things....the ocean, DJ', my dogs and animals generally and football (real football!)

What constitues real footy?
    Adelaide Crows ( my team ) are beating Greater Western Sydney as we speak - lol

• enkoenko Explorer
    guess i qualify.....i was looking for a buddhist forum and newbuddhist was top of googles list :D

What constitues real footy?
    Adelaide Crows ( my team ) are beating Greater Western Sydney as we speak - lol

Not aerial ping pong.....i dont follow that :D

I am talking about the game played in just about every country in the world, the game where the pinnacle is bigger then the olympics .....the game known around the world as football .....;)

Adelaide Reds are doing well in Asia!
    PrimMary
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited April 2012
    Yes, I believe so ... I heard on the radio today " we " were doing well - lol. For me it is all good fun, and I can appreciate the dedication to fitness and practice.
    The game was here in Adelaide tonight and with all the rain, it was difficult to even pick the ball up let alone kick it into the air ...haven't heard a final score as yet.
  • Quoting The Sydney Morning Herald online -

ADELAIDE CROWS 5.4 7.8 10.13 13.18 (96)
    GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY GIANTS 1.1 5.3 6.6 7.8 (50)
    Goals: Adelaide: K Tippett 4 J Porplyzia 2 B Smith D Mackay M Wright R Henderson R Sloane S Thompson T Walker.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-news/folau-ticks-off-a-goal-but-crows-take-the-points-20120421-1xe4w.html#ixzz1sftQFzOQ
    PrimMary
  • Well, hello! I'm new here and to the Buddhist path, I found this forum while searching for information and decided I had to join up! I just wanted a place where I could find new resources and learn from people who share a similar interest and have been around the block a bit longer than myself.

So anyways a bit about myself! My name is Garrett and I am 17 years young, I live in Canada and was raised in a Christian household. I told my parents about my interest recently and they took it surprisingly well, which is fine by me. ;) Uhm as far as what I do for fun I like to work with my hands, I like drawing, skateboarding, reading, and playing sports. I live a fairly boring life because I live in a small town. I'm really not sure what to say, I'm not very good at writing about myself or in general. It gets even worse when I'm working on schoolwork at the same time.

So basically I'm just here to learn as much as I possibly can and hear other peoples opinions. :)

Looking forward to it! :P
    EarthninjaSkyDakini2
  • snGussnGus Veteran
    I might have joined these forums about 1 year ago but I'm going to present myself anyway.

I live in Vitória, Brazil. I'm a lawyer and I've been studying the Damma since about 1 year. This is the only religion/philosophy that interests me. I intent to be the most successful I can without breaking the Precepts and I also intent to become a vegetarian someday (the reasons I have not become one yet are exposed and discussed in a proper thread).

I got a gf, we love each other very much and we intent to marry next year and spend our honeymoon in Europe.

Europe is a nice place to go on honeymoon because it's romantic and she will be able to tell others we did something special on our honeymoon. But the travel of my life will be a trip to India to see and feel the birthplace of Buddha and the other Buddhist pilgrimage places.

That's all.
    PaisleySunshine
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I guess I joined about a year ago, also. I was a science teacher for 13 years, followed by 20 years as a vice-principal and then principal in Virginia. I spent about 40 months traveling in Thailand (over 20 years), and then lived there for about 2 years before the riots of 2 years ago. After that I returned to the States. I have one foot in Buddhism and the other foot in Christianity. I seek wisdom wherever I find it.
    SarahTPrimMarySkyDakini2orlanda
  • ArthurbodhiArthurbodhi Mars Veteran
    Hi, I'm here from March, or February. I live in La Serena, Chile. I came to Buddhism about 5 or 6 year ago and I really feel that Buddhism is the way.

Here in my country Buddhism is not know very well (the big majority are Christians) and when someone hear that I'm Buddhist they look at me with a weird expression. :)

I'm not the talking type of person but I like the light-hearted way of this place.

Nice to meet you guys!

Blessings.
  • Ok I'll have a go. I'm sorta new to Buddhism. Currently I am studying the 3 vehicles of Buddhism, with a preference to Deity Yoga. After a long career in Aged Care I have taken the plunge and am studying to be an Integrated aid (Teacher's Aid). I love working with the Preps, 1/2's.
    Have found NB to be great support and hope to have many more journeys into knowledge with you all.
    Cheers Pravardigar.
    Clementine
  • Gassho to all. I am a Soto Zen practitoner glad to share vies and knowledge. My practice is regular and slow. I focus on sitting daily and weekly meeting with a sangha and techer.
    My favorite part is reading the ancient Chan buddhist from Bodhidharma on.
  • Hi! My 2 cents worth. Interesting and varied life. Was a horticulturalist for many years, knee probs, went back to college to study international business and languages, while there, worked in security, on leaving college was employed by government. When youngest daughter finished art school my partner of 36 years and I moved to Spain. During my adult life have travelled to Kenya, Morocco Tunisia Cuba Dominica and have worked in England, Scotland France and Spain. Still reading and thinking a lot about buddhism (that's why I'm here) but certainly lead my life pretty much according to the 8fold path. Apart from right speech,( I can be rather "colourful" in my use of language) ;)
    shep83ClementineSkyDakini2
  • Hi Everyone,

I wanted to say hello to everyone as well. I've been on the path for about a year officially, but have like Etherea feel I have been doing this since much earlier in my life. Other than reading here and books about Buddhism, I really enjoy my time with my girlfriend and her daughter. I am in Texas so am basically surrounded by Christians, but family tends to be understanding for the most part. I work in database analysis. Though I don't join in the conversations here much I do alot of watching and thinking, love the community here.

With Feeling,
    Graham
    SkyDakini2
  • snGussnGus Veteran

Here in my country Buddhism is not know very well (the big majority are Christians) and when someone hear that I'm Buddhist they look at me with a weird expression.
    I know this expression very well. That's why I don't let most of people know I'm a Buddhist.
  • Hi everyone, i'm Yusuf 22 yrs old Nigerian, my quest for true knowledge led me here, born into a christian home, I enjoy metaphysics. I like to read books by Lobsang.T Rampa. And i'm here with so much questions which I dont feel free asking anyone, but i'm happy to have found a community of people who share similar intrest with me.
    SkyDakini2
  • JohnGJohnG Veteran
    Hello everyone, I'm a fifty year old cop, whose been dabbling in Buddhist thought for many ears, and a resident of the North East Pennsylvania all my life, and some events have led me to seek out community in life. No, nothing dangerous, just some feelings, dreams and such. :D
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited May 2012
    Hello everyone, I'm a fifty year old cop, whose been dabbling in Buddhist thought for many ears, and a resident of the North East Pennsylvania all my life, and some events have led me to seek out community in life. No, nothing dangerous, just some feelings, dreams and such. :D
    Nice to meet you, John. I imagine being a cop involves regularly dealing with a side of human nature most of us seldom encounter. It would be interesting to see how Buddhist practice can be brought into the work of policing. Maybe much the the same as any occupation.. maybe a bit different?
  • Hello! I'm 21 years old, and I'm a self employed writer. For the past year I've been traveling around America in an RV, deciding where to settle down. My husband and I decided on Oregon, and I've been loving it here.

I enjoy biking, writing poetry, reading Sci Fi and Fantasy, and I love to cook.

I'm new to Buddhism (obviously) but I find it's helped me a lot in a short period of time. My only goal in life is to be happy, and I feel like this is the path that will guide me there.

Nice to meet you all!
  • Hi, I'm absolutely brand new to Buddhism. Like really new. I've read a couple of books, and I stalk the Dalai Lama's facebook page every day, but that's about it.

I'm married to a wonderful woman, and despite the prejudice we encounter, both of us being female, we are quite happy being married since July and living in Kentucky.

I'm planning on staying home this coming fall and doing the housewife thing while my wife attends school full time studying theology (she is a Christian). I've been reading "If the Buddha got married" which has been really helpful to my relationship. I don't know how strictly it sticks to the Buddhist teaching, but I love it, and it has helped me accept life as it is and love my wife better.

I'm 28, I have a growing addiction to tattoos, I have blue hair, my ears are stretched to 6g, I'm proudly bisexual, I have bipolar disorder, and I am a former special education teacher, happily teaching students with very significant cognitive disabilities.
    Benevolent1SkyDakini2
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    In other words - you're just a regular gal!

Welcome to all newbies!
    Benevolent1
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    @EmFlanBtimes3 - You and your wife may enjoy Thich Nhat Hanh's book "Living Buddha, Living Christ." It's basically and interfaith book, linking the two religions by examining how they are rooted in compassion.

@Kayleekakes - west coast represent! I'm a bit further north (Vancouver, Canada), but it's close enough!

Welcome everyone!
  • I *love* that book! I'm still trying to talk my wife into reading it, but we do own it and I like it, because after being Catholic until a year ago, I am used to a Christian mindset and this helps me sort of resolve and combine the two, as I get used to a new practice more suited to me (and my beliefs). Thanks!
  • JohnGJohnG Veteran
    Nice to meet you, John. I imagine being a cop involves regularly dealing with a side of human nature most of us seldom encounter. It would be interesting to see how Buddhist practice can be brought into the work of policing. Maybe much the the same as any occupation.. maybe a bit different?

Thank you; yes I have used the ideals and teachings in my work. I also use these as a tool when I teach self defense and ASP training. One of the things I noticed, is that these ideals have granted me a new vision to see what's happening. And, I'm one of the few who actually settle an issue without an arrest. :D
  • Hi.

In the past year meditation and the 8fold Path have really helped me out. I live in Arizona and dream about hiking in the desert while I spend most of my time working in a grocery store. I'm 33 ,married, and have a 6 year old son. I'm here to learn and share my thoughts.
  • FireSongFireSong Explorer
    Hello everyone.

My name is Meag; I'm twenty-seven years old and I live in Ohio with my beautiful sixteen month old boyo. I'm studying to become a medical transcription editor, and come fall I will return to college to get a degree in Japanese.

I'm quite new to Buddhism, but the way that it is resonating with me is astounding. I joined here to make connections with others, and to discuss and further my Buddhist education. I'm fairly introverted so I may generally be a lurkypants for the time being, but I do look forward to "meeting" all of you.
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    Hello to everyone!

It's been a while now since I stumbled across this little dharma discussion corner, but I well remember the happy welcome I received when I popped up here. I had some quiet time with a cup of coffee this morning and enjoyed all the bios. Diverse doesn't even begin to describe the people that lurk here, it seems.

So welcome fellow travelers! Grab your walking sticks and let's go find some dharma!
    Benevolent1
  • Hello everyone, I'm a fifty year old cop, whose been dabbl
    ing in Buddhist thought for many ears, and a resident of the North East Pennsylvania all my life, and some events have led me to seek out community in life. No, nothing dangerous, just some feelings, dreams and such. :D</
    blockquote>

Hey there. Welcome from a fellow officer. Gets interesting trying to gel the career and this practice doesn't it??
  • Hello everyone!
    My name's Victor. I was born in the part of USSR that is known as Ukraine. Immigrated with my parents to Sweden when I was 15. Came to Buddhism very gradually.
    Last year I decided that it's not too late to go to University, and so I began preparatory studies -- since my school grades are too old to be a basis for admittance I have to get new grades. The idea is that after I complete my studies I'll be able to do research in cognitive science.
    Besides cognitive sciences I'm interested in quantum physics, philosophy, mathematics, history, mythology, cosmology... well... almost anything can be interesting. :)
    I also train BaGua zhang.
    @zeron, what's BaGua zhang? What language is that?
  • Hi folks, I'm Christine from Scotland... I will be 40 this year. I am a CBT (Cognitive Behavioural) Therapist and also manage a Homelessness Charity here in Scotland. I have studied Mindfulness which has opened up my journey into Buddhism. I have recently signed up for a 3 year home study Dharma Course and feeling excited about the way ahead. It would be lovely to have this wee corner of the virtual world to explore, share and learn. Warmest wishes, Christine x
    Benevolent1
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Welcome wildflower72/Christine, nice to meet you! :wave:
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited May 2012
    @zeron, what's BaGua zhang? What language is that?
    @Cinorjer: It's a form of martial arts. Mandarin Chinese.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baguazhang
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited May 2012
    Name's Howard from Vancouver BC. I'm 58, 6'1' 195 lbs. vegetarian, kayaker, like long walks on the beach, sunsets, my phone number is...oh dam...wrong site.

As an OC zafu pilot for 38 years, I should probably ask for a pardon in advance for any zen smell. An unfortunate incident with Buddhist conditioning has left me leery of nearly all religous soap.

I do get mesmerized by shiny computer screens and so in bows before my one eyed god, I say howdy all. I hope that this Dharma chat site may help keep all our spiritual noggins sparking.

Cheers
    How
    Earthninja
    edited May 2012
    Name's Howard from Vancouver BC. I'm 58, 6'1' 195 lbs. vegetarian, kayaker, like long walks on the beach, sunsets, my phone number is...oh dam...wrong site.

As an OC zafu pilot for 38 years, I should probably ask for a pardon in advance for any zen smell. An unfortunate incident with Buddhist conditioning has left me leery of nearly all religous soap.

I do get mesmerized by shiny computer screens and so in bows before my one eyed god, I say howdy all. I hope that this Dharma chat site may help keep all our spiritual noggins sparking.

Cheers
    How
    A fellow Vancouverite! Hello @how! :cool: :
  • Hey is Vancouver a very rainy city. And do you think it is a good place for Buddhist centres. And are people friendly generally or how would you characterise them.

3 questions.
    Merci.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Hey -Abu
    Yes, gortex socks & underwear can be found here.

Being one of the most temperature friendly spots North of the 49th means you'd have some searching to do to find a Buddhist linage that hasn't some representation here.

People friendliness is probably diminishing as Vancouver swells & densifies.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited May 2012
    Buddhist friendly then? (Sometimes I miss the subtleties :) )
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    If Buddhist friendly means societal acceptance of buddhists..Yes. There are few places with as much religious & ethnic diversity as Vancouver.
    edited May 2012
    Hey is Vancouver a very rainy city. And do you think it is a good place for Buddhist centres. And are people friendly generally or how would you characterise them.

3 questions.
    Merci.
    Just to add to what @how said - Vancouver is rainy, but it's more of a constant drizzling/showering than anything too unpleasant. Weeks full of clouds are not that uncommon in fall/winter.

There are many Buddhist centres, yes.

As for friendliness - from some people I know who have moved here, they say it's friendly. But as for someone who's born and raised in Vancouver, I'd say it's not that much more friendly than other cities, but then again I haven't been to NYC. It's mostly the younger (<35 I'd say) crowd that is more "about themselves" and won't really give you the time of day or smile or reply to your "good morning." I like to think of myself as an exception to that though :p

Are you thinking of moving over here, @Floating_Abu?
    Vancover sounds like British weather. I was stationed in England for three years, and I think we had about a week's worth of sunny days every year.
  • Hey thanks so much for the detailed answer @Invincible_summer, and also @how for the assistance!

IC - Yah potentially, it's an option we are looking at :)

Metta,
    Abu
  • HI! I'm new to this

I've recently started looking into Buddhism & I think it's the right lifestyle for me.

My name is dannie, I'm 17, I'm from Florida in the US.

I'd love some help. :)
  • enkoenko Explorer
    Welcome Dannie .....a young fresh mind ready to absorb!
  • Hi everyone. I'm MaryAnne and I'm brand new to this site as of today. :)

I'm in my mid-50's, married 37 years to the same man, three grown children and a few grandchildren. I turned away from the Catholic church at the age of 15 or so. From that point up until just a couple of years ago I was a Pagan of the Dianic tradition (Goddess centered Paganism). But I've had a strong interest in Buddhism and meditation for many years.
    I've read quite a bit about it over the last 15+ years or so, and I've practiced meditation for various reasons intermittently during those years, too.
    I greatly admire the Dalai Lama and his message of Peace and Compassion. I'm currently reading a few different beginner's books (once again) on Buddhism. I'm looking forward to learning different perspectives / opinions here and having a good place to ask questions as well.

MaryAnne*

• Welcome MA
  • My name is Jake. I live in sheboygan Wisconsin. I have always been interested in Buddhism and recently I've been having thoughts about how i want to lead my life differently so I've been trying to be the "observer" of what happens while being more in the moment. Soi started looking for a Buddhist community to converse with. I'm 19 and I live with my gf and son. Uhm an cool trick I guess is I can walk on my hands. I enjoy listening to music. I play the djembe(African hand drum) annnd I don't wear shoes :) also I mostly use the sun to figure the time or if I have to do something. Otherwise if I have an important appointment ill pay attention to a clock lol
  • Also I enjoy growing plants.
  • Welcome youmaywalkalone.

If you wish to search for centers near you, google BuddhaNet Directory or Zen centers of the world.

Well wishes, and happy walking :)

Abu
  • Hello my name is Wathana and I am from the State of Kansas in the "state" LOL. Public speaking is what i do best, i like to speech so much my wife even gave me a nickname of "Speech-er". I look at things through many perspective to get insight, by connecting the dots every problem in the world can be resolve. My goal is to become a Enlightened, i believe through meditation i can sustain my goal. I have a son name Uriel, he is one. My Hobbies is surfing the internet, reading, listening to books, and i enjoy doing nothing(I do, really)LOL. I joined Newbuddhist because i want find insight on how other perceive the Buddha words.
    Benevolent1