Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

the marks of methamphetamine use

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
edited May 2012 in General Banter
This may not be the appropriate venue for such a question, but I'm hoping there may be a doctor in the house ... or someone factually familiar with the fallout from methamphetamine use.

The springboard for the question came when I was watching a documentary about the widespread use of methamphetamines in the United States. Mug shots of users in the early stages of use were set side-by-side with mug shots of the same person after prolonged use. Besides the pronounced aging that was visible, it also seemed that many users had healing, blotchy sores on their faces and looked a bit like the Black Death.

Looking it up, I found that the physical effects of methamphetamine use can include dry, itchy skin and I wondered, but didn't know, if the ravaged faces had to do with scratching the itches. Any factual info appreciated.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I'll be honest with you... this looks like a bad simulated, reconstructed "not actual footage" kind of photo... you know, "pictures posed by model"... that kind of thing.

The days of 'the camera never lies' are long none - if indeed, they ever existed at all.
    I fully understand why these images would be presented, and what message they are attempting to convey.
    And I'm in complete agreement with both the sentiment and message -
    But my first thought was - photoshop....
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    @federica ... I agree with you. It looks hokey. But when you see photo after photo, as I did in the documentary, the hokey designation loses its steam.
    matthewmartin
  • I've known some users before and after. The photos are real.
  • That's scary :(

I looked it up a bit more on Wiki:

Methamphetamine increases alertness, concentration, energy, and in high doses, can induce euphoria, enhance self-esteem and increase libido.[3][4] Methamphetamine has high potential for abuse and addiction, activating the psychological reward system by triggering a cascading release of dopamine in the brain. Methamphetamine is FDA approved for the treatment of ADHD and exogenous obesity. It is dispensed in the USA under the trademark name Desoxyn[5] and manufactured by Ovation Pharmaceuticals which was purchased in 2009 by Danish pharmaceutical Lundbeck.[6]

OK and how the skin thing, a PBS report: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/meth/body/

The meth mouth is yucky.

Then there is a segment on visible signs on skin:
    Visible Signs

- Meth abuse causes the destruction of tissues and blood vessels, inhibiting the body's ability to repair itself.
    - Acne appears, sores take longer to heal, and the skin loses its luster and elasticity, making the user appear years, even decades older.
    - Poor diet, tooth grinding and oral hygiene results in tooth decay and loss.

One of the most striking effects of meth is the change in the physical appearance of meth users. Because meth causes the blood vessels to constrict, it cuts off the steady flow of blood to all parts of the body. Heavy usage can weaken and destroy these vessels, causing tissues to become prone to damage and inhibiting the body's ability to repair itself. Acne appears, sores take longer to heal, and the skin loses its luster and elasticity. Some users are covered in small sores, the result of obsessive skin-picking brought on by the hallucination of having bugs crawling beneath the skin, a disorder known as formication.
    I can't look anymore, but the PBS report seems to have what you are looking for @genkaku.

Abu
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Thanks all. I appreciate the postings.
  • I watched the video on youtube probably about 6 or so years ago now. I have never taken meth myself, but I do know that it changes something within your body to slow down or stop itself from healing properly. So if you get a cut or a graze, it stays there for a long time. Along with the fact you just don't give a crap about your apperance due to there being one priority in life for a hardcore user, you have a messed up looking individual. Here is the original video.

• Also this video illustrates the issue well apart from the annoying captions, you can tell at least some are real.

• Good grief, this is so sad. Is it very common? I assume so :(
  • Meth is cut with all sorts of things from baking soda to rat poison and its use is considered to be epidemic in larger cities these days, but you can find it in some of the smallest out of the way places as well.
  • It is pretty much unheard of in the UK which is probably why I never tried it in my 'experimental years', if it was available I most likely would have. I know how bad it is in the US though, and yes it is a sad sight seeing people getting eaten up by this :(
  • Hmm well I have heard of it -- maybe from movies and news articles, but I had never seen or investigated the effects of various drugs before. My knowledge on such things is poor.

Thanks for the info, both.
  • It is pretty much unheard of in the UK which is probably why I never tried it in my 'experimental years', if it was available I most likely would have. I know how bad it is in the US though, and yes it is a sad sight seeing people getting eaten up by this :(
    An investigation carried out by the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) in the UK was already addressing its grwing use there in back in 2008, though its use isn't on the same scale as other drugs, such as crack cocaine, heroin, ect:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1578760/Police-say-crystal-meth-use-rising-in-UK.html

• Far out, what is amazing is that in the photos genkaku first posted, that is just a 3 month lapse time. It's pretty scary when they put it like that. I wonder why governments don't advertise that on a TV ad, that is a good shock campaign. THAT SAID I think people who do use the drugs have circles, and in those circles, they would see those as extreme/rare cases aimed to scare people. I think things don't seem so scary or odd when you are doing them ( kind of like chanting... :p )
  • DharmakaraDharmakara Veteran
    edited May 2012
    They have commercials on TV here in the US --- well, at least here in California, but since they're from national organizations I suspect they're aired in other markets too.

I've seen similar sores and scaring on people along Skid Row who are meth users, but not quite to that degree --- the police here not only check the eyes of those they encounter down here if the suspect use of drugs, but actually also look for such tell-tale signs.

Also came across a statistic chart based on info from the OECD, listing amphetamine use by country of orgin, though the data is old:

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/lif_amp_use-lifestyle-amphetamine-use
  • chanrattchanratt Veteran
    Watch Loius Theroux's The City Addicted to Crystal Meth. Sad stuff. And that photo isn't a construct. These guys were all real life meth addicts who volunteered to show the consequences....image
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Notice that there is something majorly wrong in most of the before pictures too except for the pretty lady in the just above my post. Just thinking out loud.
  • Mug shots not glamour shots.
    Notice that there is something majorly wrong in most of the before pictures too except for the pretty lady in the just above my post. Just thinking out loud.
    I know lol. They were rough before the meth
  • Those pics are absolutely real. We have a HUGE meth problem where I live and practice, and we see that *all* the time. What you can't see in most of those pics is "meth mouth" - black, rotting, foul smelling teeth. Meth is probably the single worst drug ever invented by mankind's twisted mind.
    matthewmartin
  • Those pics are absolutely real. We have a HUGE meth problem where I live and practice, and we see that *all* the time. What you can't see in most of those pics is "meth mouth" - black, rotting, foul smelling teeth. Meth is probably the single worst drug ever invented by mankind's twisted mind.
    I don't know if this is true but I heard meth was created using a variety of chemicals but one of them battery acid? If that is true and not just an urban legend then that is really bad indeed.
    An investigation carried out by the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) in the UK was already addressing its grwing use there in back in 2008, though its use isn't on the same scale as other drugs, such as crack cocaine, heroin, ect:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1578760/Police-say-crystal-meth-use-rising-in-UK.html

Good for me then I guess as I stopped messing around with hard drugs during 2009. I have never even seen meth before or met anybody who was a user, maybe it is a different story now back in the UK I don't know... I never tried heroine,DMT crystal or meth thankfully.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    If ever there was a visual harsh lesson on what some drugs can do, and how they can ravage you on the inside (kerrist only knows what effect they have on the INside!!) this is it - these pictures should be posted up in every senior school for every kid in the country to have a good look at.
  • enkoenko Explorer
    edited May 2012
    Those pics are absolutely real. We have a HUGE meth problem where I live and practice, and we see that *all* the time. What you can't see in most of those pics is "meth mouth" - black, rotting, foul smelling teeth. Meth is probably the single worst drug ever invented by mankind's twisted mind.
    Not the worst. Research Krokodil, used in Russia. Horrific drug.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/krokodil-the-drug-that-eats-junkies-2300787.html

I note the pharmaceutical industry's involvement and others in basically killing these people due to greed. Average life expectancy of a Krokodil addict is 1 year.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2012
    The battery acid is used in a chemical reaction. It's not like a potion that has battery acid as a component.

Chemistry is the real witchcraft of the 20th century, unfortunately, and it has cooked up some negative drugs.

Meth has no known therapy benefit, captain obvious(ly).

I took Ritalin, prescribed, in an attempt to make me more like I was before my psychotic break. Instead I have auditory hallucinations/voices that have been nearly constantly with me.

Drugs are dangerous. Only take them if there is a possibility of therapy.
  • ginabginab Veteran
    I watched that show a couple of weeks ago. The channel that was showing it would not typically show *fake* stuff... I believed it! These stories are incredibly sad.
    Theres a worse one down there in Columbia. I just watched a docu on it. I'll try to find the link
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    Photos are real. I live in an area that has widespread meth use. I have seen patient's deteriorate rather percipitously. It's incredibly addictive, burns out dopamine receptors in the brain and greatly reducing one's ability to feel pleasure. Anxiety, depression and suicidal ideation are high on the list for side effects of this drug. People can stay up for days on a meth high making them incredibly paranoid and aggressive. There was this guy that worked at the lumber yard and was helping me. Somehow the conversation turned to the area and its drug problem. He related he used to use. He told me he would stand in front of a mirror "for hours" picking at his face. The chemicals, decreased saliva and lack of oral hygiene on a prolonged high rot your teeth. Meth mouth is common here. As a ER nurse for 14 years it is my opinion your probably better off slamming heroin, that's how bad meth is.
  • Take it from someone who used meth for 10 years, using it is like digging yourself a grave.
  • Take it from someone who used meth for 10 years, using it is like digging yourself a grave.
    only not as productive.
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    Those pics are absolutely real. We have a HUGE meth problem where I live and practice, and we see that *all* the time. What you can't see in most of those pics is "meth mouth" - black, rotting, foul smelling teeth. Meth is probably the single worst drug ever invented by mankind's twisted mind.
    Not the worst. Research Krokodil, used in Russia. Horrific drug.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/krokodil-the-drug-that-eats-junkies-2300787.html

I note the pharmaceutical industry's involvement and others in basically killing these people due to greed. Average life expectancy of a Krokodil addict is 1 year.

Krokodil-Did some research on it...........Mentally searing.
  • robotrobot Veteran
    Same here. Could have done without seeing that.
  • I live in a meth/crack heavy city, and I know many people who do either. Honestly, some daily meth users are difficult to distinguish from any normal person.. there are definitely some who display some of the aforementioned signs. Usually people who look like those in the pictures are in the middle of a binge in which they stay awake for many many days at a time.
    What people don't realize is that almost all of the negative side effects of meth use come from extreme sleep deprivation, which the drug allows. I have known several every other day for years users who have trained themselves to sleep; while they are *very* dependent on the chemical, they do not necessarily show any obvious signs of it.
  • robotrobot Veteran
    If someone uses meth every day it shows. No way around it. Casual use could go unseen for sure. Crackheads and meth addicts are pretty easy to spot.
    Having shot meth myself many times I will go out on a limb and say that one cannot train them self to sleep while using.
    The only way to sleep is with Valium or another kind of sedative which only compounds the problem.
  • If someone uses meth every day it shows. No way around it. Casual use could go unseen for sure. Crackheads and meth addicts are pretty easy to spot.
    Having shot meth myself many times I will go out on a limb and say that one cannot train them self to sleep while using.
    The only way to sleep is with Valium or another kind of sedative which only compounds the problem.
    How long have you been clean @robot and also congratulations! I had a friend who seemed to have a great life, wealthy parents, good education, popular etc, and his older sister was the same. She moved to the US and ket a guy who she became intimate with. She subsequently got into meth because of it. She somehow left it all and came back to the UK and schooled us on it, how addictive it can be and soul destroying. Funnily enough we were both on MDMA at the time. But now she is fine, back to her normal weight and self.
  • robotrobot Veteran
    Hey Tom. I used needles in my teen years and stopped completely by about 25. Around the time I stopped drinking. I learn to shoot up in the washroom at high school when I was 15. ( that was Northern Secondary btw Richard) Needless to say I was not a good student and dropped out. Maybe it was the glue sniffing.
    I am glad your friend is healthy now and that you have put the drugs behind you.
  • I have NEVER thought of using needles simply because I could never use them as I find them disgusting. I also have never laid eyes upon heroine or Meth. I have smoked 'ya-ice' twice here in Thailand, I think that is meth but I am not sure. 'ya' means drug. It was crystal and clearish. Anyway I have put all of that behind me to an extent, I have not used MDMA or anything like that for 3-4 years now. I do however believe the drug classing system is way flawed. I did some math the other day and worked out that alcohol is 6.6x more lethal than ecstasy. LSD and those types of drugs are even less deadly. I do not understand why governments do not make such substances legal because we all know that the west needs money bigtime right now, how much tax could be made from less harmful substances than cigarettes and alcohol.. It is stupidity to me to think a loaded gun is legal in the US, yet cubensis mushrooms or LSD is a schedule 1 substance giving the person a 5year-life setence. Anyway, sorry for the rant, that is just something I had to get out lol.
  • robotrobot Veteran
    Good for you for steering clear of the needles, Tom. It's weird how some people are attracted to it and others are repulsed. The first time I saw it, I wanted to try it. There really wasn't much drug education available at the time. Or maybe I wasn't listening if there was.
    I have always talked about it with my kids. Always said drugs are bad, all drugs. I think they have a pretty good understanding about the risks.
    We have talked about the lower risk drugs like pot. And I have shown them examples, by way of people that I know, of the down side of long term pot use.
    You may be right about how drugs are classified. People are being punished who need help or for having some fun.
    Still, peoples live's have been affected or even ruined by less than deadly drugs. So I am not convinced that increased tax revenue is the reason to change the laws. That said i think people should be able to legally grow and share pot if they wish. And are old enough.
    Ice is meth.
  • Good for you for steering clear of the needles, Tom. It's weird how some people are attracted to it and others are repulsed. The first time I saw it, I wanted to try it. There really wasn't much drug education available at the time. Or maybe I wasn't listening if there was.
    I have always talked about it with my kids. Always said drugs are bad, all drugs. I think they have a pretty good understanding about the risks.
    We have talked about the lower risk drugs like pot. And I have shown them examples, by way of people that I know, of the down side of long term pot use.
    You may be right about how drugs are classified. People are being punished who need help or for having some fun.
    Still, peoples live's have been affected or even ruined by less than deadly drugs. So I am not convinced that increased tax revenue is the reason to change the laws. That said i think people should be able to legally grow and share pot if they wish. And are old enough.
    Ice is meth.
    If ice is meth then I have smoked meth, 3 times in fact. However I was taking valium at the time which looking back is maybe why I questioned the high, basically there was no high lol.
    I am young and do not plan on having kids, that is not just the average young gun saying that, I really don't want the hassle. I would not know how to introduce or educate my kids about drugs because I would be such a hypocrite. Even if I said that I use to use certain drygs, that would still give an idea that daddy use to take drugs, why can't I? In this day and age it is so easy to get wrapped up in that culture at a young age, when I was 14 about 35-40% of my year group had at least tried weed.

Sure tax income for the government is no exscuse, but the classing system is highly flawed. Why is LSD and Mushrooms in the same class as heroine and cocaine? Just go and google Prof Nutt, he got fired from the UK government because he released a report about ecstasy and LSD. he even said ecstasy was safer than horse riding. That guy is from my home city by the way lol.
    Regardless of what happens, people are going to use drugs legal or not. Education is the key thing I think, as you have done educating your children. The thing is if said drugs were legal, they would be pure and not mixed with other substances. I am pretty convinced that in this day and age more people are using drugs than back in the 60s.

By the way yes needles really do gross me out. My dad has diabeities, the type which is gentic. When I went to work with him as a young teen he would have to inject and be too lazy to pull over so I had to take the wheel lol. I could find it really hard to even do that, and that is only injecting into fat tissue and not a vein. I however did have a calling to snorting things, to each their own.
  • robotrobot Veteran

If ice is meth then I have smoked meth, 3 times in fact. However I was taking valium at the time which looking back is maybe why I questioned the high, basically there was no high lol.
    I am young and do not plan on having kids, that is not just the average young gun saying that, I really don't want the hassle. I would not know how to introduce or educate my kids about drugs because I would be such a hypocrite. Even if I said that I use to use certain drygs, that would still give an idea that daddy use to take drugs, why can't I? In this day and age it is so easy to get wrapped up in that culture at a young age, when I was 14 about 35-40% of my year group had at least tried weed.
    Even if you never have kids, you may see it as your responsibility to help to educate young people about life, when you are older.
    You would not be a hypocrite to use yourself as an example while talking about substance abuse.
    Of course you will have to select your words carefully, to suit the circumstances.
    With my daughter I used myself as an example and she has never felt the need to show me up in that department.
    With my son I don't talk about my history. Thanks to my ex, who insisted that I didn't. As it turns out I think she was right because of the boy's inclination to take suggestions from my experience and to compete with me.
    It's been several years now that both kids are living on their own and making their own choices. I still drone on at them any chance I get. I told them that it's my job and not to expect me stop doing it.

• There are several factors with regards to my parents where they failed to stop me from experimenting. One, my mum said she cannot be around me 24/7, so I just used that to my advantage. My father left when I was 7 and he was the hardass, my mum felt guilty for his depature so she was too soft on me and my sister. As a young teen I would work out my mum and slowly allow myself to be able to do things. I eventually was growing weed in my room at 16, I told her I took ecstasy and LSD, heck she even bought me a factual book on ecstasy when I was 17 for my birthday. My dad, he has always been money orientated, one day I remember him asking me if it was a good idea to setup around 50 weed plants and I would look after them for half the profit lol... He doesn't take drugs and obviously he didn't give a damn about the responsibility. That never materialized though thankfuly, I may have been caught big time.

However you can put the blame here there and everywhere, at the end of the day you are old enough to decide what is right and what is wrong. I had a lot of fun with so many drugs, there is no denying that, but it came at a price and now I understand more than ever where I went wrong.
  • ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran
    @ThailandTom Meth has surfaced in the UK Tom - I took it myself about and ended up in a Psych hospital with a diagnosis of Schizophrenia as a result its a god awful drug. There was a recent report in a Yorkshire newspaper about a guy being arrested for the production of class A drugs where the local police had to handle some seriously unstable chemicals that made me think he was probably cooking up Meth in his garage.
  • @ThailandTom Meth has surfaced in the UK Tom - I took it myself about and ended up in a Psych hospital with a diagnosis of Schizophrenia as a result its a god awful drug. There was a recent report in a Yorkshire newspaper about a guy being arrested for the production of class A drugs where the local police had to handle some seriously unstable chemicals that made me think he was probably cooking up Meth in his garage.
    Not good, I wonder if it will take off like it has done in the US... But that really is bad news, speaking on behalf of Brits, I can safely say that we are one hell of a drug consuming nation. That is to mention my generation and the one above mainly. I don't know what it is about these generations but they just take a lot of drugs. My school was not a bad school as such, but in my year group maybe 35-40% smoked weed on a regular basis.