Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Badges?

Comments

• SileSile Veteran
    When you comment, it checks the number of comments you've made for the "Comments" badges. So, your first comment after I turned on the system will trigger all those badges.

Likewise, logging in is what triggers the "Anniversary" badges. You'll get badges for X number of years when you next log into the site.
    Well...just in case, I'm going to post "gots no money" and see what happens.
  • Can I have the first badge for: "NB's Moodiest Member?"
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    Forget the badges and bring back the "Like" button. :thumbsup:
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    ^ I agree, Doug!!!!!
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    ^ Of course, that's not where the quote really came from. It came from "The Treasure Of Sierra Madre" with Humphrey Bogart.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    ^ Of course, that's not where the quote really came from. It came from "The Treasure Of Sierra Madre" with Humphrey Bogart.
    Pfft, you're too old. :p
    Agreed, though I was a fan of "Blazing Saddles", as well.

And, BTW, the real original quote, from the book that led to the original movie, was much more racist in tone.

• ZaylZayl Veteran
    Yeah lol I got them as well. I saw the feature on Brian and Lincoln's other site, Icrontic, and figured it would show up here as well. I don't pay much attention to them, but they are interesting nontheless.
  • @lincoln, is the like button gone for good? I will miss it if so. :(
    ^ I agree. Very much. Please do bring it back.
  • possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran
    edited May 2012
    Badges suck, So do points. :-( . How about a dislike button..... Never mind, the fact that you (owners) subscribe to this juvenile crap is very disturbing.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited May 2012
    I don't see how badges or crowns or points or like buttons do anything but diminish this site and the postings. On other Buddhist sites they were dropped to the relief of most. All this is promoting is the quantity of postings over quality. This is up there with notebook stickers and stars that belong in a kindergarten art class.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    I just got a badge sign for mentioning someone's name in a post. And it said something to the effect of "Good job! You just mentioned a member's name in a post. Doing that helps stimulate discussion, we love that" (not the exact words, but the gist). It made me feel like a child, getting a candy for good behavior and a "Good Girl! Mommy and Daddy like it when you use the potty on your own!"

Yeah, I preferred the "like" button.
    @lincoln, is the like button gone for good? I will miss it if so. :(
    I think some of these badges are good, but some are over the top, just my 2 cents.

• enkoenko Explorer

Why do people need to be rewarded for posting on a discussion forum?
  • How many badges does it take to achieve enlightenment?
    hahaha, got to laugh at this comment, and there is no like button :(
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited May 2012
    Badges suck, So do points. :-( . How about a dislike button..... Never mind, the fact that you (owners) subscribe to this juvenile crap is very disturbing.
    That seems a bit harsh, don't you think? Badges are simply a way of trying to get members (especially new ones) to be more active in the community and commemorate certain milestones, much like they do on Icrontic, NewBuddhist's sister site.
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    Actually, technically the misquote "I don't need no stinkin' badges" was first used in an old Monkee's TV episode and popularized by Mel Brooks in Blazing Saddles. The correct quote of "We don’t need no badges! I don’t have to show you any stinking badges!" is from the movie. It is a condensed version of a longer rant that includes cusswords in the book the movie was based on, so the movie had to rewrite it. See? Thanks to this site and the wonders of google, I now know more useless trivia.

And really, if you don't like the little badges and brief popups then ignore them and repeat after me: "Buddhists are allowed to have fun once in a while." If it stops us from taking this place too seriously, it's actually useful.

As for a dislike button mentioned in some posts, you must be joking. If you actually dislike someone's comment to the point you want the world and the person to know about it, you can be brave enough to post your reasons so someone can respond if they'd like.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited May 2012
    @Dakini To be fair, that badge is targeted at getting brand new members to learn how to use the forum software. Turning on the badge system means you only now get some badges that you might've otherwise had ages ago had it existed.

The goal is this: "Oh look, badges. What badges can I earn? There's a badge for "mentioning" someone? Let me try that." and thus another member has learned an important feature.

And if I turned off the 'beginner' badges for you veterans, then someone would complain that the new people got all the badges and they can't earn them. :p
    edited May 2012
    If you don't wish to be notified of badges you earn, you can disable those notifications under Edit Profile -> Edit Preferences: http://newbuddhist.com/profile/preferences/
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Thank you Lincoln for telling us where the off switch is. While it makes it easier for the individual who doesn't want in on the rewards program, I still think you are encouraging a type of posting that will change the nature of your site. I was showing some other Buddhist friends my discovery of your site just when all these badges started showing up. Certainly those that have fought hard to change the infantilizing that some Asian Buddhist traditions engage in with newbies, did not respond well.
  • possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran
    edited May 2012
    That seems a bit harsh, don't you think? Badges are simply a way of trying to get members (especially new ones) to be more active in the community and commemorate certain milestones, much like they do on Icrontic, NewBuddhist's sister site.
    NO, sorry Jason, (and I would have used the @ if I wouldn't earn a stupid badge or point for that, and get labeled 'name dropper' yuk! ) I find this system shallow and it's ridiculous to assume that the frequency of posts adds to the quality of this forum. A few months ago, I saw a sharp dip in quality when suddenly several threads outside the banter area were loaded with chatter.

I am a serious, thoughtful person hoping to to learn more about Buddhism and how to apply its intrinsic value to real life. I don't have time for chit-chat and I also believe *strongly* in the precept of right speech (i.e. don't waste your time/mind with yacking; say - for the most part - only what is necessary and thoughtful, helpful.) What you are doing here is trying to proclaim that quantity turns into quality and that is just plain wrong.

Less is more.

I have a suspicion that this forum has become a playground and trial run for the social networking, that the sister/parent site promotes as a source of income. It looks to me like the unsuspecting members of this forum have been turned into Buddhist guinea pigs, and IMO that becomes apparent in this latest move.
    I have, somewhere online, found an article by the owner, where he discusses the value of such venues using us as example, and, after the banning of a former member, the article expanded on how to deal with an unruly member of a social online community like ours. (Btw., I was aware of that conflict and the description was one-sided and blown way out of proportion.)
    All this would not be a problem, if the site would not proclaim to follow Buddhist guide lines, but, I guess there is a wide range of interpretations - mine is just a lot more narrow.

While I was hesitant to get more involved here, I am now even more reluctant. You guys are a much younger generation and seem to still have to go through a lot of trial and error to find real value - even though you have the 4/8 and precepts at your fingertips.

Best wishes, I appreciate the original effort.

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    I would say relax, breath in and out, it's ok. No one ever died from getting some website badge on their username.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    Wow... Not sure about your suspicions , possibilities,... but this forum has never pretended to be a "serious" Buddhist website.... and the owner(s) themselves have said that. It is also not an online Sangha, and anyone who thinks it is, is barking up the wrong tree. It is a light hearted Buddhist flavored social forum, and maybe a source of info for new people.

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited May 2012
    NO, sorry Jason, (and I would have used the @ if I wouldn't earn a stupid badge or point for that, and get labeled 'name dropper' yuk! ) I find this system shallow and it's ridiculous to assume that the frequency of posts adds to the quality of this forum. A few months ago, I saw a sharp dip in quality when suddenly several threads outside the banter area were loaded with chatter.

I am a serious, thoughtful person hoping to to learn more about Buddhism and how to apply its intrinsic value to real life. I don't have time for chit-chat and I also believe *strongly* in the precept of right speech (i.e. don't waste your time/mind with yacking; say - for the most part - only what is necessary and thoughtful, helpful.) What you are doing here is trying to proclaim that quantity turns into quality and that is just plain wrong.

Less is more.

I have a suspicion that this forum has become a playground and trial run for the social networking, that the sister/parent site promotes as a source of income. It looks to me like the unsuspecting members of this forum have been turned into Buddhist guinea pigs, and IMO that becomes apparent in this latest move.
    I have, somewhere online, found an article by the owner, where he discusses the value of such venues using us as example, and, after the banning of a former member, the article expanded on how to deal with an unruly member of a social online community like ours. (Btw., I was aware of that conflict and the description was one-sided and blown way out of proportion.)
    All this would not be a problem, if the site would not proclaim to follow Buddhist guide lines, but, I guess there is a wide range of interpretations - mine is just a lot more narrow.

While I was hesitant to get more involved here, I am now even more reluctant. You guys are a much younger generation and seem to still have to go through a lot of trial and error to find real value - even though you have the 4/8 and precepts at your fingertips.

Best wishes, I appreciate the original effort.

So does this verbal assault count as an example of right speech?
    Btw., I was aware of that conflict and the description was one-sided and blown way out of proportion.)
    I think the same can be said about some of the reactions to the new forum software feature.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Thanks possibilities!
    Loved the "right speech" angle as well as the history update. I hope there isn't a Buddhist in "newBuddhist" getting corp directives to introduce all of this.

Oh well, it was fun for the week.
    H
    According to worthofweb.com NewBuddhist is valued at $ 10,263... generating annual income of $ 5,760. Considering the effort the owners have put into it... I don't feel played.
    edited May 2012
    According to worthofweb.com NewBuddhist is valued at $ 10,263... generating annual income of $ 5,760. Considering the effort the owners have put into it... I don't feel played.
    It generates an income of $0. The server it's hosted on costs $300 a month, paid for by our other sites (sometimes) or my paycheck (usually). It can also consume between a dozen and 40 hours of my time a month, which is frankly vastly more valuable to me than the server cost.
    edited May 2012
    I find this system shallow and it's ridiculous to assume that the frequency of posts adds to the quality of this forum.
    Hey. I've had badges turned on for all of 48 hours now. Chill out and let me tweak it. You're talking to the guy who banned "General Banter" posts from the main page for half a year until it got under control again. The badges we have are still the default ones.
    This isn't an appropriate way of delivering feedback.

Forum technology changes. As a community builder and a forum software develop, I try out new things. The unsuspecting members of this forum are being given the most technically advanced software available and have as their admin one of the most engaged community software developers in the world. Those poor bastards.
    You're either misconstruing the content, misinformed of the conflict, or simply talking out of your ass. I don't really care which.

Reconsider your attitude or leave. I have no patience for your cynical, dissembling malarky.
    I was showing some other Buddhist friends my discovery of your site just when all these badges started showing up. Certainly those that have fought hard to change the infantilizing that some Asian Buddhist traditions engage in with newbies, did not respond well.
    This is very good feedback, thank you.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    I think the critics are blowing this all way out of proportion. You can ignore the badges and, evidently, turn them off.

As for it being "juvenile" or "condescending" or whatever... it's really your own ego-based problem if you feel too "grown-up" or "mature" to have these inconsequential icons on your profile.

"Why so serious?"

Thank you Lincoln for telling us where the off switch is. While it makes it easier for the individual who doesn't want in on the rewards program, I still think you are encouraging a type of posting that will change the nature of your site. I was showing some other Buddhist friends my discovery of your site just when all these badges started showing up. Certainly those that have fought hard to change the infantilizing that some Asian Buddhist traditions engage in with newbies, did not respond well.
    @how, could you elaborate on this "infantilization" that you are referring to?
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited May 2012
    FWIW I agree with @possibilities, @how, @Dakini and @enko

And please mods and @Lincoln, please don't tell people to get lost if they disagree with you in a way you don't like. If this was even mildly Sangha like or community like, it would be very nice to be able to cultivate empathy and tolerance with those comments you don't like, rather than playing an immediate 'right speech' card or get out card. How hurtful would that be, I imagine, and everyone gets upset sometimes. We're human OK. The Buddha put up with a lot too FWIW and I don't think possibilities was out of line, he is just sharing his perception and responses are made etc. If he got the facts wrong, that can be discussed.

Don't force out members who are here to learn, and everyone comes here for a different purpose, so I would respect those who also come here to discuss 'serious' issues and learnings as much as those whom come here to discuss the news or movies or just to chat.

Pelt me etc but give me my 5 year badge. :p And more seriously, I agree with many comments that it encourages certain behaviours that seem childish. The forum is not hard to navigate and if people want to talk, they will. I don't see why we would want people to post quantity over thoughtfulness.

PS With full recognition that this is a new trial so slack to the Admin team and I think you have plenty of feedback to work with. Thanks for your efforts.

_/\_
  • Social media site, dude.

I know what Facebook is, but I don't see how badges makes NB anything like FB.
    Forget it.

Abu
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Social media site, dude.

I know what Facebook is, but I don't see how badges makes NB anything like FB.
    Forget it.

Abu
    Great, now I'm going to be completely puzzled as to what your comment meant in the first place! :p
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited May 2012
    @Invincible_summers Quote
    As for it being "juvenile" or "condescending" or whatever... it's really your own ego-based problem if you feel too "grown-up" or "mature" to have these inconsequential icons on your profile.

It is natural that ego would relate to it as my problem or your problem. That's just an ego with a sweet tooth looking for another adversarial bon bon. Icons on there own on my profile are not the issue.

My concern is what the rewards system says about what we actually value here. Apparently, first and foremost, it is the encouraging of as many postings as possible. The information that this site was really a social exchange forum for Buddhists was something that was only related in later postings. I had mistakenly seen it as a three treasure site which comes with a different range of values. If there is a heading explanation for what this site really is..I plain missed it.

It seem that this is a Buddhist networking page where folks make of it what they want within the moderaters constraints but it's real value is measured by the volume of its postings. It also seems that the points system might just be an experiment that moderating Buddhists will keep or toss according to how it all unfolds.

As for your question on the treating of trainees like infants....I think it doesn't apply to this kind of site.
    On a good day that subject is a cultural minefield best left to opposing ex monastic volunteers bearing probing poles..

or were you just pulling my chain?

Cheers

>

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I posted over 5000 times and the only badges I got were for number of posts. :dunce:

My concern is what the rewards system says about what we actually value here. Apparently, first and foremost, it is the encouraging of as many postings as possible. The information that this site was really a social exchange forum for Buddhists was something that was only related in later postings. I had mistakenly seen it as a three treasure site which comes with a different range of values. If there is a heading explanation for what this site really is..I plain missed it.
    I understand your concern, @how. I wouldn't want a load of crap to appear on NB just for the sake of racking up posts. However, I don't see it becoming a cesspool of "FIRST!" or one-word posts that are totally devoid of any content. The mods/admin team could see to it (Speaking of which... @lincoln, is there any way for posts to only count as "posts" when posting in anything but "General Banter" or other more chit-chatty sub-forums?).

As for "social exchange forum," I'm not quite sure what you mean. There's plenty of discussion on Buddhist philosophy and practice. But almost all internet forums I've participated in are like this... there's the serious posters who only post pertinent things, and there's the posters who are okay with posting stuff related to their personal lives, and there's the people who like to be chatty.

Honestly, that's what I personally like about NB. It's not so stuffy and serious like other sites.

It seem that this is a Buddhist networking page where folks make of it what they want within the moderaters constraints but it's real value is measured by the volume of its postings. It also seems that the points system might just be an experiment that moderating Buddhists will keep or toss according to how it all unfolds.
    Networking? I don't know how many of the users on here "network" - I'm interpreting "networking" as getting others' contact info, providing links/connections to each others' social networks, etc.

It seems to me there's quite a bit of discussion on here.

The badge system was also just recently introduced, if you cant tell by all the other posts on this thread. So your statement that "It also seems that the points system might just be an experiment that moderating Buddhists will keep or toss according to how it all unfolds" is more correct.
    As for your question on the treating of trainees like infants....I think it doesn't apply to this kind of site.
    On a good day that subject is a cultural minefield best left to opposing ex monastic volunteers bearing probing poles..

or were you just pulling my chain?
    Why does it not apply to "this kind of site?" Why bring it up if you're not willing to talk about it?
  • ginabginab Veteran
    You should get a free mug or something...
    It generates an income of $0. The server it's hosted on costs $300 a month, paid for by our other sites (sometimes) or my paycheck (usually). It can also consume between a dozen and 40 hours of my time a month, which is frankly vastly more valuable to me than the server cost.
    ...5,760 is little more than 0 in the scheme of things. My point is that it is pretty evident that you guys have gone out of pocket and out of time for this forum.
    For us who post here it is a freebie. .... we are like squatters claiming squatters rights.. and being picky about it.

Thank you for providing this service.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I think we should have a special graphic or signature as a badge. Voluntary donation. 5 dollars for 6 months or something.

That's what they did on the Sacred 2 wiki forum.
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    It is very clear that NewBuddhist is the wrong site for some of you. If you don't like the way we do things or the way the site works, please feel free to start your own.

It's funny. Those who claim to be the most "serious" about Buddhism are some of the most high-strung, tense, angry people I know. Let go.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Brian, who are you talking to? Me?
  • edited May 2012
    It is very clear that NewBuddhist is the wrong site for some of you.
    I've noticed a sharp decline in Buddhism related posts in recent weeks. Only recently has this trend seem to be changing. To be honest, I know that I am part of the problem too. The site seem(ed) to be turning more into a social media site than anything. General Banter is very popular, as are "self help" or "personal progress" posts. These 3 things, to my knowledge, took up the majority of what is posted. Of course the admins or mods can't really change things in regards to this, but I just wanted to address this anyways - kind of get your guys' view on this.
    @Lincoln, please don't tell people to get lost if they disagree with you in a way you don't like.
    I could care less that it was in disagreement with me, it was the caustic way they chose to express themself. That they weren't banned either means I'm mellowing out or going soft.
    If he got the facts wrong, that can be discussed.
    But that's precisely the problem. Rather than exhibit any care or self-awareness with their perspective, they basically labelled me a fraud of a community manager on my own website. I have no time for that nonsense; they can say whatever they like about me, but not here.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    It is very clear that NewBuddhist is the wrong site for some of you.
    I've noticed a sharp decline in Buddhism related posts in recent weeks. Only recently has this trend seem to be changing. To be honest, I know that I am part of the problem too. The site seem(ed) to be turning more into a social media site than anything. General Banter is very popular, as are "self help" or "personal progress" posts. These 3 things, to my knowledge, took up the majority of what is posted. Of course the admins or mods can't really change things in regards to this, but I just wanted to address this anyways - kind of get your guys' view on this.
    This is true but all we can do is control our own posts. If there are not many Buddhist content posts you can always post one. I definitely think we shouldn't look down on GB or self-progress posts. Perhaps a category of self-progress posts, however, instead of saying they are beginner buddhist posts.
    In re Lincoln's comment:

A degree of civility is required in any good internet forum, and Lincoln has been more than fair over and over again. The post in question was rather rude. Little issues like how the forum looks can sometimes get blown way out of proportion, when that kind of topic isn't really what we're here to discuss. Lincoln is A+ in my book.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I'll second what vinylyn said, but I can understand a person getting bent out of shape due to changes which seem negative. That is one of the types of suffering, change. But just remember there are real problems to worry about and not to pile on and exhibit behaviour of a shark who smells blood.
  • Lincoln is A+ in my book.
    I will second and third what vinlyn said. Now would be a good time for a "like" button.

:D
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    In re Lincoln's comment:

A degree of civility is required in any good internet forum, and Lincoln has been more than fair over and over again. The post in question was rather rude. Little issues like how the forum looks can sometimes get blown way out of proportion, when that kind of topic isn't really what we're here to discuss. Lincoln is A+ in my book.
    If there was still a "Like" button I would have pressed it. ;)

But since there's not, I'll just quote and say... :thumbsup:
  • Bodha8Bodha8 Veteran
    I got some badges and a set of steak knives.