Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What did you think you would become?

JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
edited May 2012 in General Banter
I thought I would be a serene yogi eventually who meditates 6 hours each day and knows wisdom that he can teach to everyone.....

Instead I hear voices immediately when I wake up until I go to bed, and probably in my sleep. When I do meditation it is inevitable to get lost in the voices.

Getting through the day, meditating with the voices, and lighting candles in my shrine is my dharma practice.

Comments

• ToshTosh Veteran
    I thought I'd be calmer, more disciplined, wiser, kinder; better.

Sometimes it's two steps forward and three steps back, but at least I'm sober.
  • edited May 2012
    When I was younger, I always wondered who I would be when I was an adult, when I was older. Now that I am older (in my sixth decade of life) I finally realize that I have always been me.
  • ginabginab Veteran
    Me too... I thought I'd be more disciplined. I'm still the same old mess as usual! :rolleyes:
  • When I was younger, I always wondered who I would be when I was an adult, when I was older. Now that I am older (in my sixth
    decade of life) I finally realize that I have always been me.
    I really like that. Profound and simple all in one :)
  • @lamaramadingdong - Bingo! Buy that man (?) a banana! Wherever (or whenever) you go, there you are. :)

Egad... I just realized that *I'm* in my sixth decade of life!
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    I don't think I wanted to become something per se. Buddhism was more of something I stumbled upon, but having read some initial ideas I had to proceed. I would say that I had expectations of myself when I meditate and in my daily life. In my day to day activities I think I expected some sort of perfection in how I acted or felt. I have come to understand there is no perfection and there is no end to practice. I have also realized my joy and my anger are two sides of the same coin, they are part of me and this life I have and that's becoming okay. I'm slowly realizing I am okay.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited May 2012
    I came through Buddhist experience (practice, not cultural aspects) through some internet advice, after that I had an unmistakeable what some would call awakening experience. Thereafter, I was hooked. Buddhism definitely had my attention, not through belief, but through experiential knowledge. Soon after I had a couple more noticeable experiences so in some ways I came through the (what some might call) the mystical doors and therefore I guess I always expected/assumed a high degree of ... I dont know what the word is exactly, but I expected a lot of answers, and desired it very much. I always had a sense or vision/desire for the 'prize' - enlightenment, Nibbana, truth, peace, love, kindnesss (something liek that) - even though the process itself felt sometimes like stumbling in the dark many times. It took me some time to even sit, I was so resistant to it and each time I sat it felt like a whirlwind/a typhoon. I visited many centers in search of a home, and also met many Buddhist teachers and leaders. My teacher is the one though for sure and I am very grateful for it all, even though it was sometimes very hard.