Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Logic of the Triple Gem?

Why did Buddha insist on belief in the triple gem?

Buddha - do we need believe in him or buddha nature - Does belief in him simply serve as an example to aspire to or as a proof for followers?

Dharma - Perhaps we have to believe in the dharma because if we do not then it cannot function as a framework for action effectively enough?

Sangha - belief in this simply ensures the continuity of buddhism so all can learn about it?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2012
    You've got this a bit skew-wiff...

You don't Take Refuge because you 'Believe' in any of them.
    and the Buddha never 'insisted' anywhere, that you 'Believe' in anything.
    On the contrary....

You take Refuge because you have Faith in them - the Definition of 'Faith' in this case, being 'Confident'.

You have confidence in the Buddha as a teacher and Mendicant.

You have confidence in the Dhamma - his teachings - which of course, you do not take at face value...

You have confidence in the Sangha - the Community of followers who discuss and examine his teachings, and live their lives in the way of the 8Fold Path.

and you Take Refuge as and when you feel the right moment to do so, is arrived at.
  • To add to Fede's good words, I would add that when penetrated, the Triple Gem is not distinguishable
  • Ah, grasshopper, the Buddha is "Buddha" because of the Dharma, the Sangha is "Sangha" because of the Dharma, and the Dharma is changeless in time and space, hence it is highest in the World.
  • just replace the word "BELIEF" with "FAITH" in my post and then reply?

that makes more sense then i think. i'm interested in how to explain why faith in these is important.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    At first it starts with belief in the traditional sense.

Then belief becomes confidence.

You got to start somewhere.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    just replace the word "BELIEF" with "FAITH" in my post and then reply?

that makes more sense then i think. i'm interested in how to explain why faith in these is important.
    Faith is a word with varying implications, and for me it puts the discussion much more in the realm of "religion" and believing in something with no concrete evidence.

• Lets not get caught up in semantics. Basically, what i'm wondering is why you think the buddha reasoned that these 3 things were essential to believe/have faith in?
    It's not semantics. Faith has a totally different implication than belief.
  • SimplifySimplify Veteran
    You've got this a bit skew-wiff...

You don't Take Refuge because you 'Believe' in any of them.
    and the Buddha never 'insisted' anywhere, that you 'Believe' in anything.
    On the contrary....

You take Refuge because you have Faith in them - the Definition of 'Faith' in this case, being 'Confident'.

You have confidence in the Buddha as a teacher and Mendicant.

You have confidence in the Dhamma - his teachings - which of course, you do not take at face value...

You have confidence in the Sangha - the Community of followers who discuss and examine his teachings, and live their lives in the way of the 8Fold Path.

and you Take Refuge as and when you feel the right moment to do so, is arrived at.
    This is actually a big part of why I don't have confidence in Buddhism. Faith is an abandonment of critical thinking.
  • Personally I too do not like use the word faith, this has to strong a religious note for me since I was raised in the Roman Catholic "Faith".

I use the Triple Gems of Buddhism as a tool for inspiration and focus. And would rather use the word "Acceptance" in place of Confidence or Faith. I accept that the Buddha is "Enlightened" or "Awakened", and I understand that there where Buddhas before him and there will be more after. I accept the teachings (Dharma) of the Buddha's as guidelines to my own liberation from pain and suffering, and as a means to provide liberation of pain and suffering for all sentient beings. I accept the need to be part of a Sangha or community of other like individuals, so that we can constructively discuss the teachings and learn from each other.

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited May 2012

Buddha - do we need believe in him or buddha nature - Does belief in him simply serve as an example to aspire to or as a proof for followers?

Dharma - Perhaps we have to believe in the dharma because if we do not then it cannot function as a framework for action effectively enough?

Sangha - belief in this simply ensures the continuity of buddhism so all can learn about it?
    I think having a certain amount of conviction in these things is needed from a purely pragmatic point of view. For one thing, without at least a modicum of confidence in the Buddha as a teacher, there's no motivation to put his teachings into practice (and the same with the teachings and the advice of those who dedicate themselves to practicing them/passing them down). I think Thanissaro Bhikkhu sums up the logical behind the Triple Gem quite well in the beginning of his essay, "Faith in Awakening":
    The Buddha never placed unconditional demands on anyone's faith. And for anyone from a culture where the dominant religions do place such demands on one's faith, this is one of Buddhism's most attractive features. We read his famous instructions to the Kalamas, in which he advises testing things for oneself, and we see it as an invitation to believe, or not, whatever we like. Some people go so far as to say that faith has no place in the Buddhist tradition, that the proper Buddhist attitude is one of skepticism.

But even though the Buddha recommends tolerance and a healthy skepticism toward matters of faith, he also makes a conditional request about faith: If you sincerely want to put an end to suffering — that's the condition — you should take certain things on faith, as working hypotheses, and then test them through following his path of practice.
    And without faith that the Buddha had at least some insight into the nature of suffering, there's little reason to take anything he said as a working hypothesis to test.

• Ehipassiko --- come and see --- this has nothing to do with belief or faith and to imply such is an error of the worse kind, contrary to the very foundations of what the Buddha taught.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Ehipassiko --- come and see --- this has nothing to do with belief or faith and to imply such is an error of the worse kind, contrary to the very foundations of what the Buddha taught.
    The scriptures speak very beneficially about "Saddhā"

Saddhā: faith, confidence.

A Buddhist is said to have faith if "he believes in the Perfect One's (the Buddha's) Enlightenment" (M 53; A.V, 2), or in the Three Jewels (s. ti-ratana), by taking his refuge in them (s. ti-sarana). His faith, however, should be "reasoned and rooted in understanding" (ākāravatā saddhā dassanamūlika; M. 47), and he is asked to investigate and test the object of his faith (M. 47, 95). A Buddhist's faith is not in conflict with the spirit of inquiry, and "doubt about dubitable things" (A. II, 65; S. XLII, 13) is admitted and inquiry into them is encouraged. The 'ability of faith' (saddhindriya) should be balanced with that of wisdom (paññindriya; s. indriya-samatta). It is said: "A monk who has understanding, establishes his faith in accordance with that understanding" (S. XLVIII, 45). Through wisdom and understanding, faith becomes an inner certainty and firm conviction based on one's own experience.

Faith is called the seed (Sn. v. 77) of all advantageous states because, according to commentarial explanations, it inspires the mind with confidence (okappana, pasāda) and determination (adhimokkha), for 'launching out' (pakkhandhana; s. M. 122) to cross the flood of samsāra.

Unshakable faith is attained on reaching the first stage of holiness, 'stream-entry' (sotāpatti, s. ariyapuggala), when the fetter of sceptical doubt (vicikicchā; s. samyojana) is eliminated. Unshakable confidence (avecca-pasāda) in the Three Jewels is one of the characteristic qualities of the Stream-winner (sotāpannassa angāni, q.v.).

Faith is a mental concomitant, present in all karmically advantageous, and its corresponding neutral, consciousness (s. Tab. II). It is one of the 4 streams of merit (puññadhārā, q.v.), one of the 5 spiritual abilities (indriya, q.v.), spiritual powers (bala, q.v.), elements of exertion (padhāniyanga, q.v.) and one of the 7 treasures (dhana, q.v.).

See Faith in the Buddha's Teaching, by Soma Thera (WHEEL 262). "Does Saddhā mean Faith?'' by Ñānamoli Thera (in WHEEL 52/53).

• DharmakaraDharmakara Veteran
    edited May 2012
    Sorry, but proper practice does not have "faith" as a requirement. It might be beneficial, no argument about that, but when faith becomes a requirement it is then transformed into blind faith, certainly not beneficial.

Faith as a requirement is blind faith.
    edited May 2012
    Ehipassiko --- come and see --- this has nothing to do with belief or faith and to imply such is an error of the worse kind, contrary to the very foundations of what the Buddha taught.
    But who'd bother to 'come and see' without at least some amount of faith, confidence, or conviction that there was something worth seeing? That the path leads somewhere beneficial and is worth putting effort into? Who really says, "I don't think there's anything to this, but I'm going to jump in an dedicate myself to it anyway"?
  • I guess you'll have to take that up with the Buddha, it was his rule of thumb.
    edited May 2012
    Additional thoughts on "faith" --- in one of his essays on the Kalama Sutta, Victor Gunasekara put forth the following:

Six grounds are given which are considered unsatisfactory because they rely on faith and authority. There has been some disagreement on the exact meaning of each of these grounds, and this is reflected in the different ways they have been translated. We shall first give the Pali term used and then comment on the most likely meaning.

(1) anussavena;. This has been translated as ‘report’, ‘tradition’, and even more formally as ‘revelation’. The Vedas which formed the basis of the traditional religion were considered as being revealed (‘ruti’) by a divine source (Prajāpati, or Brahmā). The Middle Eastern religions like Judaism, Christianity or Islam are also considered as revelations from God through Prophets. According to the Buddha’s first condition this is not a sufficient ground to establish their validity as a correct form of belief.

(2) paramparāya. This refers to a teaching which is handed down from teacher to pupil. This was the normal method of propagation in those days, especially for upanihadic teaching, but was also common in other traditions also. The point is that the fact that a teaching had a long pedigree does not mean that it is a valid teaching. There must be other things attesting to its validity. The Buddha gives the analogy of a string of blind men (andavei), each leading the other and not knowing where they were going.

(3) itikirāya . This has usually been translated as ‘hearsay’ (Woodword for the Pali Text Society) and ‘rumour’ (Bhikkhu Soma) but it includes all kinds of legendary and historical material. The term was used in relation to Brahmanical teachings like the Nyāya Sūtra which relied on a kind of hearsay (aithiya) for its validity. The Buddha says that the Dhamma does not rely on itikirāya for its validity.

(4) piṭakasampadāya. This refers to a system which relies on a textual tradition for its validity. It would apply where a ‘holy book’ is the basis of belief, like the Vedas, the Bible or the Koran. What this implies is that the Pali Canon itself cannot automatically be considered as a divinely inspired source. What is contained there should be subject to examination and accepted only if they satisfy the criteria set down for valid belief.

(5) bhavyarpatāya. This is a difficult term to translate. Woodword has ‘because it fits becoming’. K.N.Jayatilleke gives the literal rendering as ‘because of its having the nature of what ought to be’ or more freely as ‘because of its suitability or fittingness’. Bhikkhu Soma has ‘another’s seeming ability’ which seems to be the simplest. What it means that you should not take the theory because its author appears to be well qualified.

(6) sama.no no garu . This literally means ‘our teacher (or recluse) is venerable’. The sramana may be venerable because of his personal qualities and high moral principles, but these do not necessary guarantee that his teaching is necessarily correct.
    I guess you'll have to take that up with the Buddha, it was his rule of thumb.
    His rule of thumb was to jump headfirst into things we have no confidence in? That doesn't seem like a very sound rule of thumb to me, nor something the Buddha would advise.
    edited May 2012
    Was that what I said? Was that what the Buddha said?

Please don't take this the wrong way, you being a moderator and all, but is your rhetoric here any different than other extremes found in a discussion or debate that's less than meaningful?

Dialectics, my friend.
    Additional thoughts on "faith" --- in one of his essays on the Kalama Sutta, Victor Gunasekara put forth the following:

Six grounds are given which are considered unsatisfactory because they rely on faith and authority. There has been some disagreement on the exact meaning of each of these grounds, and this is reflected in the different ways they have been translated. We shall first give the Pali term used and then comment on the most likely meaning.

(1) anussavena;. This has been translated as ‘report’, ‘tradition’, and even more formally as ‘revelation’. The Vedas which formed the basis of the traditional religion were considered as being revealed (‘ruti’) by a divine source (Prajāpati, or Brahmā). The Middle Eastern religions like Judaism, Christianity or Islam are also considered as revelations from God through Prophets. According to the Buddha’s first condition this is not a sufficient ground to establish their validity as a correct form of belief.

(2) paramparāya. This refers to a teaching which is handed down from teacher to pupil. This was the normal method of propagation in those days, especially for upanihadic teaching, but was also common in other traditions also. The point is that the fact that a teaching had a long pedigree does not mean that it is a valid teaching. There must be other things attesting to its validity. The Buddha gives the analogy of a string of blind men (andavei), each leading the other and not knowing where they were going.

(3) itikirāya . This has usually been translated as ‘hearsay’ (Woodword for the Pali Text Society) and ‘rumour’ (Bhikkhu Soma) but it includes all kinds of legendary and historical material. The term was used in relation to Brahmanical teachings like the Nyāya Sūtra which relied on a kind of hearsay (aithiya) for its validity. The Buddha says that the Dhamma does not rely on itikirāya for its validity.

(4) piṭakasampadāya. This refers to a system which relies on a textual tradition for its validity. It would apply where a ‘holy book’ is the basis of belief, like the Vedas, the Bible or the Koran. What this implies is that the Pali Canon itself cannot automatically be considered as a divinely inspired source. What is contained there should be subject to examination and accepted only if they satisfy the criteria set down for valid belief.

(5) bhavyarpatāya. This is a difficult term to translate. Woodword has ‘because it fits becoming’. K.N.Jayatilleke gives the literal rendering as ‘because of its having the nature of what ought to be’ or more freely as ‘because of its suitability or fittingness’. Bhikkhu Soma has ‘another’s seeming ability’ which seems to be the simplest. What it means that you should not take the theory because its author appears to be well qualified.

(6) sama.no no garu . This literally means ‘our teacher (or recluse) is venerable’. The sramana may be venerable because of his personal qualities and high moral principles, but these do not necessary guarantee that his teaching is necessarily correct.
    In reference to AN 3.65, I agree the Buddha is being critical of blind, unconditional faith ; but I don't think he's being critical of an informed conviction, or the guidance of others we have reason to have confidence in.
    edited May 2012
    But isn't an "informed conviction" still a personal conviction, where to require others to hold the same then becomes a requirement of faith?

So there's no mistunderstanding, I'm talking about the "requirement of faith", not "faith" in and of itself.
    Was that what I said? Was that what the Buddha said?

Please don't take this the wrong way, you being a moderator and all, but is your rhetoric here any different than other extremes found in a discussion or debate that's less than meaningful?

Dialectics, my friend.
    Ad hominem aside, maybe I simply misunderstood you. Perhaps you can clarify. I said: "Who really says, 'I don't think there's anything to this, but I'm going to jump in an dedicate myself to it anyway,'" to which you immediately replied, "I guess you'll have to take that up with the Buddha, it was his rule of thumb." To me, it sounded like you were saying that jumping headfirst into things we have no confidence in is the Buddha's rule of thumb. If not, feel free to correct me.
    edited May 2012
    But isn't an "informed conviction" still a personal conviction, where to require others to hold the same then becomes a requirement of faith?

So there's no mistunderstanding, I'm talking about the "requirement of faith", not "faith" in and of itself.
    I never said anything about requirements, only that I think having a certain amount of conviction in these things [i.e., the Buddha and his teachings] is pragmatic. I doubt anyone would follow his path if they didn't first think, for whatever reason, that it'd lead somewhere worth going.
  • The point I was making was who would go head first into anything without some degree of confidence or atleast open-minded enough to go forth and see for him or herself? The Buddha certainly didn't make demands contrary to that --- in fact, it's institutionalized religions that do.
    edited May 2012
    @Jason: It was just a misunderstanding --- I was referring to those who are of the opinion that it's somehow required, not that you were suggesting so.
    edited May 2012
    I see. I misunderstood what you were saying. Thanks for the clarification. I think we're more or less in agreement, then. :)
  • By the way, I didn't mean for that post to be taken as ad hominem --- it was in regard to dialectics, the art of debate, ect.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited May 2012
    I think the only thing you have to believe in to practice Buddhism is karma. The simple idea that actions have results. The rest comes after this. Why else would you practice? You only meditate and do other practices with the idea of gaining something out of it. So this is at least some basic idea of karma.

This understanding of this idea may grow in time, as will the understanding of the triple gem. In Therevadan Buddhism, one only understands the triple gem fully after the first step of enlightenment. It is literally said that someone after this first step (sotapanna it is called) has faith (better is conviction) in the Buddha, and those who aren't there yet have not (at least not to the same degree).

So this 'faith' is not something you usually start with. We start with an idea of faith in that's more like: "Well, maybe there is something in it, I'll check it out."
  • Faith is an abandonment of critical thinking.
    Dear @Simplify

Have you seen the laughter of a child, or the teardrop of an adult?

Analyse that.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    In the mahayana refuge doesn't have so much meaning until right view. But it can be a promise that energizes you and connects you with awakened beings.

When you do have right view you can perceive sambhogakaya, a body of the Buddha.
    edited May 2012
    Have you seen the laughter of a child, or the teardrop of an adult?

Analyse that.
    I don't mean to defend or speak for Sabre, but laughter differs in children with autism, not to mention that it has been proven that tears lower defences and often serve as signals of submission --- in other words, both can and have been analysed :)

Sorry, but proper practice does not have "faith" as a requirement. It might be beneficial, no argument about that, but when faith becomes a requirement it is then transformed into blind faith, certainly not beneficial.

Yes, but then again, unshakable faith is attained on reaching the first stage of holiness, 'stream-entry'. In other words, stream entry requires that there be this unshakable faith, otherwise it can't be called stream entry. Only oneself make faith blind or not blind. There is no "outside force" that transforms faith into blind faith. If you yourself don't make it blind faith, then it's not blind faith. if you don't have this "unshakable faith", then you don't have stream entry.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Sradda is faith. It means embodying your insight. It means 'walking the walk' in addition to talking the talk.
    edited May 2012
    Yes, but then again, unshakable faith is attained on reaching the first stage of holiness, 'stream-entry'. In other words, stream entry requires that there be this unshakable faith, otherwise it can't be called stream entry. Only oneself make faith blind or not blind. There is no "outside force" that transforms faith into blind faith. If you yourself don't make it blind faith, then it's not blind faith. if you don't have this "unshakable faith", then you don't have stream entry.

Wouldn't this be sociocentric in nature? Does it not allow others to define what is holy and what is not, what is appropriate and what is not, and finally who has obtained stream entry or not simplely on unshakable faith?

If John Doe #1 and #2 doesn't have the same "unshakable faith" as Jane Doe, then both are seen as lacking in some quality deemed important, that there's some kind of defect, that maybe they aren't as sincere in their practice, and on and on.

Then John Doe #1 feels the pressure, adopts the "unshakable faith" just to fit it, while John Doe #2 refuses to lie to himself, long enough others, and refuses to do the same.

Out of these three, who's closer to stream entry and who is not? Who even has the right to decide?

This is where critically thinking comes into play :)

Wouldn't this be sociocentric in nature? Does it not allow others to define what is holy and what is not, what is appropriate and what is not, and finally who has obtained stream entry or not simplely on unshakable faith?

If John Doe #1 and #2 doesn't have the same "unshakable faith" as Jane Doe, then both are seen as lacking in some quality deemed important, that there's some kind of defect, that maybe they aren't as sincere in their practice, and on and on.

Then John Doe #1 feels the pressure, adopts the "unshakable faith" just to fit it, while John Doe #2 refuses to lie to himself, long enough others, and refuses to do the same.

Out of these three, who's a stream enter and who is not? Who even has the right to decide that anothers practice is lacking in some way or another?

Sociocentric in nature regarding the Buddhist ideal of "enlightenment", yea I think you could say that because that is different than most other religion's idea of "enlightenment". The Buddhist scripture define what is holy and what is not and what is appropriate and what is not. They also define what enlightenment or stream entry is and is not.

That is really not enough information to say who is not the stream enterer as stream entry, according to Buddha's teaching, requires the cutting of 3 fetters, not just 1. So just having unshakable faith does not make one a stream enterer but it is an inevitable quality of a person who already is a stream enterer. It's an inevitable quality of a stream enter because what the buddha said actually is true, regardless if anyone believes it or not. The four noble truths are more like fact than beliefs. The abandonment of "skeptical doubt" is a naturally occurring product of practice. It's not something that one is "pressured into". If they are pressured into it, the pressure is coming from themselves, not some outside thing. John doe #1 is being foolish by doing that to himself. But like i said, it's not someone or something else doing the pressuring, it's john doe himself doing it to himself and if you don't do that to yourself, then there is no pressure.

Just my 2 cents. :)

edited May 2012
    Yes, John Doe #1 is doing it to himself, but you might be surprised how many there are out there who fit that bill, even monastics. And, to take this one step further, what does sociocenteric behavior mean if the Dharma is to be perceived as a universal Truth?

IMHO it would hardly be a "truth", long enough a universal one, if it can't be applied in and of itself without the trappings.

By the way, does anyone know why "#1" and the like is showing up as a hyperlink?

Yup!

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

It would seem to me that these are the source of all Buddhism. Without them there would be any Buddhism, so there must be some kind of belief in them if one is to follow Buddhism.

Did he actually insist we believe in them as a matter of principle or law? I'm not sure the word insist is accurate, can you post a link that shows that type of attitude?
  • My experiential knowledge is that it starts with an understanding that I, things, my life, my thinking, what is in my realm could be better and then seeing someone who has what I want, asking them about it, learning more and then getting involved with the process.
    It requires faith that things can better and that I can do something to help that happen. It requires belief in the ideas of the Buddha and whatever tradition you feel fits well for you. It requires faith in others who have come before and will come after.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Faith is sradda. It just means embodying the teachings.
    edited May 2012

It would seem to me that these are the source of all Buddhism. Without them there would be any Buddhism, so there must be some kind of belief in them if one is to follow Buddhism.

Did he actually insist we believe in them as a matter of principle or law? I'm not sure the word insist is accurate, can you post a link that shows that type of attitude?
    He didn't insist we believe in them so much as illustrate how conviction in regard to these things can lead one to practice the Dhamma and achieve the fruits of that practice, e.g., from MN 70:
    There is the case where, when conviction has arisen, one visits [a teacher]. Having visited, one grows close. Having grown close, one lends ear. Having lent ear, one hears the Dhamma. Having heard the Dhamma, one remembers it. Remembering, one penetrates the meaning of the teachings. Penetrating the meaning, one comes to an agreement through pondering the teachings. There being an agreement through pondering the teachings, desire arises. When desire has arisen, one is willing. When one is willing, one contemplates. Having contemplated, one makes an exertion. Having made an exertion, one realizes with the body the ultimate truth and, having penetrated it with discernment, sees it.
    edited May 2012
    What the Buddha did insist upon can be found in the Mahaparinibbana Sutta --- to take refuge in the Dharma and only the Dharma, to be an island unto oneself, a refuge between two waters, ect.

Of course, this doesn't diminish the existence of the Triple Gem in the life and practice of Buddhism as an institution, but it does provide a viable alternative.
    ^^ I wonder how he thought he could "insist" on that or anything?
    edited May 2012
    It was part of the last instructions he gave his disciples, no less than a last will and testiment one could say. How could he insist? If not the Buddha, who else?

"Therefore, Ānanda, be islands unto yourselves, refuges unto yourselves, seeking no external refuge; with the Dhamma as your island, the Dhamma as your refuge, seeking no other refuge."
    I'm just saying that we always say that Buddhism is not like (for example) Catholicism where people were forced to believe and do certain things. So, I just think "insist" may be the wrong word here.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    It was part of the last instructions he gave his disciples, no less than a last will and testiment one could say. How could he insist? If not the Buddha, who else?

"Therefore, Ānanda, be islands unto yourselves, refuges unto yourselves, seeking no external refuge; with the Dhamma as your island, the Dhamma as your refuge, seeking no other refuge."
    This means we have to internalize the teachings to come to understand what the Dhamma is. This is hardly a call for some (blind) faith or belief.
    edited May 2012
    Sabre, I never said it was a call to faith, blind or otherwise, but quite to the contrary ---that we place our refuge in the Dharma, internalize the teachings as you say, exactly.

• I'm just saying that we always say that Buddhism is not like (for example) Catholicism where people were forced to believe and do certain things. So, I just think "insist" may be the wrong word here.
    Oh, I see what you mean :)

• andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited May 2012
    I'm just saying that we always say that Buddhism is not like (for example) Catholicism where people were forced to believe and do certain things. So, I just think "insist" may be the wrong word here.
    Mmmm ... how does Catholicism or any other religion force people to really believe anything? How can a person be forced to believe anything? Getting children and indoctrinating them into certain beliefs from a young age which they do not question, brainwashing and physically torturing adults are activities I can think of which may lead to others being able to influence what another person says, not what they really believe from experience and investigation though.

The Buddha encouraged the idea of not believing anything unless it correlated with our own experience and critical analysis.

• It was part of the last instructions he gave his disciples, no less than a last will and testiment one could say. How could he insist? If not the Buddha, who else?

This means we have to internalize the teachings to come to understand what the Dhamma is. This is hardly a call for some (blind) faith or belief.
    Yes, once we have experienced something we see it and know it rather than having to believe it to be true.