Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Question about karma.

hermitwinhermitwin Veteran
edited May 2012 in Buddhism Basics
My cousin is not a buddhist. he is very kind and generous, a great guy.
he doesnt know much about buddhism. he has a small business and
he slaughters chickens everyday.
will he suffer bcos he kills hundreds of chickens?

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited May 2012
    When the chickens finally rise up and take over, anybody even remotely related to that great cousin of yours is going to be in for some serious pain.. Have you even looked into how chickens are raised & slaughtered. I think somewhere there is some serious payback on the way. Suffering is a good a word for it as anything.

Studying and understanding the four noble truths..may...help.

I know, I know, the argument can be made that that killing & eating of chickens is just our way of preventing the dinosaurs from launching an evolutionary counter offensive, but my attention span isn't long enough to work that one out.. It's more likely that every chicken is just another terrorist looking for the opportunity to clog some other overweight sods arteries. A revolution from the inside out.

Once again, try the 4 noble truths and pray that the pecking you heard on your door in the middle of the night, was just your imagination.
  • Bad karma is bad karma no matter how you try to dress it up. There's not much we can do about refraining or abstention if it is our profession.

In that case, try to create some good karma in return. Build a bird sanctuary for example. Plant trees etc.
  • Hi hermitwin,

In a general sense, from what you have said in your brief post, the information we have suggests your cousin is acting in a way which he finds ethical and consistent with good business practice and social responsibility. He subsequently will not develop suffering from his behaviour.

People who make comments about karma being a b@t#@ etc. need to have information about how the individual perceives their own behaviour and behaves towards others and in society, before they can make such judgements.

I would still watch out for that knock on the door though ... lol.
  • DharmakaraDharmakara Veteran
    edited May 2012
    I've never seen much discussion about this on Buddhist forums, per se, but another possible factor to take into consideration is the degree of suffering, the manner in which an animal is slaughtered --- for example, in Judiac law there's strict guidelines on the treatment of animals in a slaughter house, where employees can even get fired for speaking to an animal in a harsh way prior to slaughtering.

Still best to watch out for that knock on the door, especially if those scientists manage to breed that "chickensaurus" :)
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Buddhism teaches yes, he will suffer from engaging in the act of killing.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    But what about intent? If he doesn't see in as wrong, how can the intent bring bad karma?

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited May 2012
    But what about intent? If he doesn't see in as wrong, how can the intent bring bad karma?

I think it would be incorrect to say there is no intention of killing if one is making a living doing it. There is intent, it may not be "malicious", but it's still there. Not knowing that something is "wrong action" does not prevent the making of bad karma. Wrong acts still make bad karma even a person thinks they are not wrong. "Malicious intent" I think would probably make even worse karma. But even if there is no "maliciousness" bad karma can still be made, it just won't be as bad. I'm sure slave owners trading people back in the day did not think it was wrong, but they were still making bad karma regardless.

• Bodha8Bodha8 Veteran
    This is not right livelyhood. Just follow the eightfold path.

Namaste
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    He is the only connection the chickens have to the dharma of the Dalai Lama, kindness. If he is kind to the chickens and gives them a free range life combined with compassionate slaughtering he is creating good karma.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    There are lots of different view points with regards to karma. Some view points, particularly Tibetan Buddhist ones (I study Tibetan Buddhism) appear to sound extremely mechanical in that an example I heard recently was that an explanation for someone stealing your wallet is because you've stolen someone's wallet, in this or a previous life.

That just sounds daft to me. And then there's people who get killed by tsunamis - and what were the karmic causes for creating Thalidomide children; that's complex - I mean it affects both the Mother and the child?

There are also more subtle understandings of karma, but really, no-one (apart from a Buddha, so I'm taught) understands them all.

My own personal thoughts are that if your cousin looks after these chickens well, and kills them humanely, then he'll be fine.

And also, HH Dalai Lama is eating meat these days too!
  • robotrobot Veteran
    I would ask, does he suffer because of his actions? Does he have his health? Is he loved? Are his children happy and successful?
    If someone is experiencing the results of bad karma you should see it in their life. Like the meth addict photos. Are they bankrupt? Are they in jail? Does their family hate them? Do they have mental or physical suffering from their actions?
    Some people would have you believe that a person can go on creating bad karma throughout their life while living happily and successfully only to be punished in a future life. To me that is a very strange belief and a misinterpretation of the concept.
    I know hundreds of fishermen and many of them are hunters also. There does not seem to be any higher level of suffering among them than I would expect to see in any group of people. Other than the expected higher rate of workplace deaths and injurys associated with being at sea.

• jlljll Veteran
    does your cousin believe in cause n effect? for every action,
    there are consequences.
    what does your cousin think is the results of all killings, which
    he carries out everyday?
  • I must recuse myself, I love chicken.
  • Me too. They can be cute and lovely. I cannot imagine killing them.
    But having said this, I do love the taste of chicken.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    I suspect people in this position get de-sensitised.
  • my next question is, should i say anything to my cousins about karma?
  • There are lots of different view points with regards to karma. Some view points, particularly Tibetan Buddhist ones (I study Tibetan Buddhism) appear to sound extremely mechanical in that an example I heard recently was that an explanation for someone stealing your wallet is because you've stolen someone's wallet, in this or a previous life.

That just sounds daft to me. And then there's people who get killed by tsunamis - and what were the karmic causes for creating Thalidomide children; that's complex - I mean it affects both the Mother and the child?

There are also more subtle understandings of karma, but really, no-one (apart from a Buddha, so I'm taught) understands them all.

My own personal thoughts are that if your cousin looks after these chickens well, and kills them humanely, then he'll be fine.

And also, HH Dalai Lama is eating meat these days too!
    My instruction, also in Tibetan Buddhist tradition, has not, at any time, been anything like the example you were given Tosh.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    my next question is, should i say anything to my cousins about karma?
    No.

• I don't understand why 'Buddhists' in here are claiming that this guy will not suffer because of his actions.. The guy is breeding chickens and then getting them slaughtered. Every action with a conscious decision has a reaction and generates karma does it not? Does that mean if I go out right now and chop sombodies head off with the notion that it is fine I won't suffer because of it? Just because it is a chicken, a creature smaller than us doesn't mean that killing it or hundreds of thousands of them will not have any negative reproccusions.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    My whole point @ThailandTom, is that actually, I DO believe there will be a direct or indirect consequence to direct action.
    My personal opinion is that as the cousin is NOT Buddhist, such comment or teaching will not be either constructive or supportive.
    It will appear patronising, preachy and holier-than-thou.

By all means give opinion, and by all means make observation.
    But not in a condemnatory, critical or all-knowing kind of way.
    The guy is practising Wrong Livelihood.
    Indubitably.
    nobody here does that, because we know what wrong livelihood is.
    (A long time ago, on esangha a young chef was concerned that as part of his duties he had to shuck oysters and prepare shellfish for the menu.
    The advice he received was to speak to his employer about his dilemma, and fortunately, his employer was extremely sympathetic and excused him that task, but gave him another to keep his workload equal.... But he was a young Buddhist, and knew that he could not perform the task....)

The OP's cousin is clearly NOT Buddhist, and as such, speaking to him in a way that would impose guilt upon his shoulders, would not be skilful, considerate or compassionate.
    Sure, chickens need, deserve and have as much right to compassion as any person.
    But we must also take measure of how we apply things in life..

• I did not mention at all that I think he should go and confront his cousin, I was just pointing out for some reason people here seem to think this guy will not have anything negative because of his actions, killing thousands of chickens. Are some Buddhists moving firther and further away from the dharma or is it just me? Karma is one of the most fundamental teachings to recognize and bring into your everyday life. I do feel that trying to explain teachings of the Buddha to people who clearly are not religious is something that should not be done. Nobody likes to be preeched at and everybody has their own beliefs, but like I said I was just pointing out that obviously this guy is going to have negative reprocussions.
  • Hi Tom, The point that you make about chickens as opposed to any other creature really is not a or the factor of importance.
    Federica has explained it well above.
    Unless his cousin specifically asked him, there is no reason why it is appropriate to start talking about karma.
    If anything I would suggest he could tell him about his interest in Buddhism and the noble eightfold path.
  • Hi Tom, The point that you make about chickens as opposed to any other creature really is not a or the factor of importance.
    Unless his cousin specifically asked him, there is no reason why it is appropriate to start talking about karma.
    If anything I would suggest he could tell him about his interest in Buddhism and the noble eightfold path.
    I was not implying anybody should confront this person at all, I am just saying that he will suffer as a result of all of this in some way and cannot understand why buddhists would think otherwise, that is all...
    I agree with you Tom, personally.
    Everything has a consequence.
    I misunderstood the point of your post in that case, but my reasoning still stands, and it would with any situation where somebody who is NOT Buddhist may be acting and going against conventional Buddhist thought.

We cannot presume to appraise their actions and give them our opinion from a Buddhist viewpoint, if Buddhism means nothing to them.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited May 2012
    my next question is, should i say anything to my cousins about karma?
    That could sound judgemental or patronising. If it was me I'd be curious to know if they found killing the chickens upsetting, so I might ask that question.

And if I ate chicken I might ponder the consequences of my behaviour.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited May 2012
    Yes he will suffer greatly in the future because he engages in the harming of others, As you say however he also practices kindness and generosity these virtues will cause him to experience happiness in the future. Morale discipline is the source of happiness, There was once a butcher who took the vows not to kill sentient beings during the night and in his next rebirth experienced the pleasure of gods and so forth during the night, however during the day he experienced the sufferings of being torn apart by wild and vicious animals as a result of engaging in the actions of killing.
    I was not implying anybody should confront this person at all, I am just saying that he will suffer as a result of all of this in some way and cannot understand why buddhists would think otherwise, that is all...
    I wasn't thinking that you were suggesting confrontation.
    The important point about karma is that we can not know the exact workings and it is not up to us to contemplate how others will suffer.
    Hermitwin asked if we thought his cousin would suffer because of his actions. I maintain that from the information we have it seems to me his cousin is not acting against his own moral code and understanding in a way that will lead him to conflict with himself or society - he is not a Buddhist practitioner.
    Hermitwin is clearly asking because he is concerned about his cousin and then asked if he should mention karma to his cousin, which is why I mentioned karma.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

Many murderers think they are on the side of good. Intent plays a part but there is a reason for the phrase "The road to hell is paved with good intentions".

I too have this kind of moral problem. My cousin owns a house with his mom and I moved in to rent it from them. I get a good deal and they know it's taken care of since neither of them live close anymore.

The last tenants left owing a few thousand and we were stuck with the worst cockroach infestation I've ever heard of. I had to kill many living beings and it hurts.
  • It is a moral problem when there is conflict - either with ourself, society or possibly both.
  • thanks for all the responses.
    i think i know what to do.
    if the topic comes up, i will broach it, otherwise i will just avoid the topic.
    in any case, i will handle it like 'porcupines making love' , to quote a famous evangelical preacher.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited May 2012
    Hey Hermitwin
    You could study up on the chicken raising & slaughter industry.
    Then you could consider if becoming a vegetarian made sense for you.
    If you do decide to become a vegetarian, you could share why you decided to become a vegetarian with your cousin. Remember that you becoming a vegetarian is a minor inconvenience where as for your cousin it would be a career loss. Your silence may keep the peace for you but only at your cousins eventual expense.
    Hey Hermitwin
    If you do decide to become a vegetarian, you could share why you decided to become a vegetarian with your cousin. Remember that you becoming a vegetarian is a minor inconvenience where as for your cousin it would be a career loss.
    Good points.

You know, when I explain the Thai Buddhist belief (of most people), that it's okay if you eat meat as long as it was not killed specifically for you, they just laugh (usually out loud).

• i hope to be a vegetarian some day. my gastric troubles is 1 reason why i am not.
    Hey Hermitwin
    If you do decide to become a vegetarian, you could share why you decided to become a vegetarian with your cousin. Remember that you becoming a vegetarian is a minor inconvenience where as for your cousin it would be a career loss. Your silence may keep the peace for you but only at your cousins eventual expense.
  • dear vinlyn, as much as it troubles you that thai buddhist eat meat.
    it is in accordance with the suttas. buddha ate meat and allows his monks to eat meat.
    also, almost every thai who is not a christian or muslim will be a buddhist.
    dont expect the average thai buddhist to be a seriuos practising buddhist.
    it is no different from the average muslim or christian.
    in fact, there are many fake thai buddhist monks who just want to make a quick buck.
    Hey Hermitwin
    If you do decide to become a vegetarian, you could share why you decided to become a vegetarian with your cousin. Remember that you becoming a vegetarian is a minor inconvenience where as for your cousin it would be a career loss.
    Good points.

You know, when I explain the Thai Buddhist belief (of most people), that it's okay if you eat meat as long as it was not killed specifically for you, they just laugh (usually out loud).

dear vinlyn, as much as it troubles you that thai buddhist eat meat.
    it is in accordance with the suttas. buddha ate meat and allows his monks to eat meat.
    in fact, there are many fake thai buddhist monks who just want to make a quick buck.

Good points.

Yeah, I know all that. I lived there for a couple of years. But it doesn't trouble me at all that they eat meat. So do I. I'm well aware that approximately 95% of the Thai population is Buddhist, with most of the remainder being Muslim. Christianity in Thailand is irrelevant.

However, in their mind they are serious Buddhists. And I would not say that there are "many" fake Thai Buddhist monks.

• the meat industry is cruel to me.
    i cant accept the argument the if the animals are treated well, then its ok.
    america is the only advanced country that still have capital punishment.
    if i let a prisoner stay in a 5star hotel prior to his executuion, will that make the killing ok?
  • it depends on how you define 'many'.
    the sale of buddhist amulets is a thriving industry .
    many monks are involved.
    would you call these monks fake monks?
    dear vinlyn, as much as it troubles you that thai buddhist eat meat.

Good points.

Yeah, I know all that. I lived there for a couple of years. But it doesn't trouble me at all that they eat meat. So do I. I'm well aware that approximately 95% of the Thai population is Buddhist, with most of the remainder being Muslim. Christianity in Thailand is irrelevant.

However, in their mind they are serious Buddhists. And I would not say that there are "many" fake Thai Buddhist monks.

it depends on how you define 'many'.
    many monks are involved.

The generally accepted definition of "many" is "Being one of a large indefinite number". So there are not "many" fake monks in Thailand.

For the most part, there are two places that Buddhist amulets are sold in Thailand. One is along the street by lay hawkers. The other is in temples. Even in temples, it is not usually a monk selling the amulets. But when that does happen, the money goes to the temple, not the monk, so no, they are not fake monks.

The occasional fake monk is usually arrested and tried by the government, and is usually severely punished.

• the meat industry is cruel to me.
    i cant accept the argument the if the animals are treated well, then its ok.
    america is the only advanced country that still have capital punishment.
    if i let a prisoner stay in a 5star hotel prior to his executuion, will that make the killing ok?
    On a personal level, I agree with you about the meat industry.
    My daughter also made an independant decision to become lacto-ovo vegetarian at about 10 years of age and then vegan at about 12. Many have said I influenced her - I agree, she knew that it was possible to eat a healthy vegan diet because of me and it was a seemless transition due to me living in the same houseand her eating meals with me.
    I have found the best way is by example.
    I do not kid myself that I am able to fulfill the aim of not killing though by eating a predominately vegan diet, even with having preference for organic foods and avoiding certain foods ... we can do our best, that is all.

• Doesn't Buddhism teach that karma is intent? If so, then I don't think he would experience negative consequences for his actions, unless his intent was to cause suffering. His intent doesn't seem to be that, but rater to provide food for his community and to make a living.
  • my definition of a fake monk is different from yours.
    a monk who engages in activities expressly forbidden by the buddha
    is a fake monk to me.
    so, a monk that provides amulets is a fake monk to me.
    I suspect not to many thais.
    it depends on how you define 'many'.
    many monks are involved.

The generally accepted definition of "many" is "Being one of a large indefinite number". So there are not "many" fake monks in Thailand.

For the most part, there are two places that Buddhist amulets are sold in Thailand. One is along the street by lay hawkers. The other is in temples. Even in temples, it is not usually a monk selling the amulets. But when that does happen, the money goes to the temple, not the monk, so no, they are not fake monks.

The occasional fake monk is usually arrested and tried by the government, and is usually severely punished.

• by this definition, i can do many harmful, dangerous and foolish things
    with no negative consequences.

the 9/11 terrorists' intention was to strike at 'the great satan/USA'
    and go to heaven. the intention was "good", but nobody will argue that
    they will not face negative consequences.
    Doesn't Buddhism teach that karma is intent? If so, then I don't think he would experience negative consequences for his actions, unless his intent was to cause suffering. His intent doesn't seem to be that, but rater to provide food for his community and to make a living.
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited May 2012
    by this definition, i can do many harmful, dangerous and foolish things

Doesn't Buddhism teach that karma is intent? If so, then I don't think he would experience negative consequences for his actions, unless his intent was to cause suffering. His intent doesn't seem to be that, but rater to provide food for his community and to make a living.
    The idea of " negative consequences " is a very subjective thing. I am not sure what negative consequences you believe no -one will argue about the "9/11 terroists" facing ?

From speaking with individuals who have gone to go war to fight for their country
    ( Australia where I live ), mostly Vietnam veterans, they were motivated by nationalism and keeping their home country safe and free as they understood it at the time. By the time many came home, lots of other Australian citizens did not share this idea and sentiment towards the war and the soldiers who went.

• The actions of the 911 terrorists were motivated by hatred and ignorance. They intended to kill and spread fear. Someone who works as a butcher is not motivated by hatred of animals.

my definition of a fake monk is different from yours.
    is a fake monk to me.

I think you ought to stop looking down on a whole nation of people, which in this thread you are clearly doing, though subtly so.

Although I have probably visited over a 1,000 Buddhist temples, and have seen temples with (for wont of a better term) religious shops with various amulets, Buddhist books, Buddha statues, etc., I have never seen monks selling the materials. It was always a lay person. That's not to say it doesn't happen, I have just never seen it.

And, there you go, deciding who is a "real" Buddhist, something this (in my view) is not appropriate.

• andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited May 2012
    The actions of the 911 terrorists were motivated by hatred and ignorance. They intended to kill and spread fear. Someone who works as a butcher is not motivated by hatred of animals.

Hi white-wolf, the hatred and ignorance which you speak of will never be helped by human actions which continue to create divisions and intolerance.
    I find discovering my own motivations, let alone those of others, very challengeing as motivations are immensely complex and multi- factorial, plus our ingrained habits, prejudices and areas of ignorance make any kind of clarity and simple understandings inadequate, in my opinion.
    Fortunately, being able to begin and to continue with my practice has not been reliant on judging of mine or anyone elses motivations.

• The trouble with unskillful actions done in the belief that they are ok is we didn't really believe they were ok, we just distanced ourselves from our misgivings.

But dwelling on consequences is not skillful either. There is no cosmic scorecard, it's more dynamic than that. Karma's not mysterious either, in lucid moments we see it operating quite clearly, not only when we get enlightened, like that sinking feeling one gets when one has been coasting along enjoying oneself and suddenly realises how others have been let down. It isn't something we have to understand exactly, it's more about learning to have the courage to be mindful of our actions and their effects on other beings.

We suffer because we don't realise how deeply we care about others. The question is always about what to do now, to make things better. And that's a question for us to answer about our own lives first, then our effect on and advice to others weaves into the fabric of our karma.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited May 2012
    TThere is no cosmic scorecard, it's more dynamic than that.

Agreed. Clockwork karma is too neat and tidy and, oddly, as anthropocentric as a factory farm. It also carries a wiff of schadenfreude. Causality is murky ..generally what goes around comes around, and we create worlds we carry around . I have instant karmic fruit any time I act out stupidly and cause harm.. instant.. right there... it is living with having done it.
  • I remember a christian woman I once worked with who commented about someone having to answer for their actions after death. She was bemused by my response of
    " maybe, and he has to live with it now ".
    What I find so limiting about hindsight knowledge is that rarely are we in exactly the same situation again to have the benefit of knowing exactly how to act. Sometimes I would love to have the belief of black and white, right and wrong that some claim to have - just not possible in reality, I know, but sometimes it looks good -lol.
  • my dear vinlyn, for your info, my grandma is Thai.
    so i do have some Thai blood flowing thru my veins.
    my definition of a fake monk is different from yours.
    is a fake monk to me.

I think you ought to stop looking down on a whole nation of people, which in this thread you are clearly doing, though subtly so.

Although I have probably visited over a 1,000 Buddhist temples, and have seen temples with (for wont of a better term) religious shops with various amulets, Buddhist books, Buddha statues, etc., I have never seen monks selling the materials. It was always a lay person. That's not to say it doesn't happen, I have just never seen it.

And, there you go, deciding who is a "real" Buddhist, something this (in my view) is not appropriate.