Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How do I guide my thoughts to guide my life if I am a Buddhist?

I will not use the word control here but guide. Correct me if I am wrong here. I am not to educated in Buddhist beliefs. It almost seems to non-Buddhists that there is a kind of denial of external activities and thoughts. When confronted with a problem Buddhists seem to just recommend to watch the thoughts that arise. So in only using this logic if Hitler while he was doing the things he was doing if all he had to do is watch what was going on while he was doing it he would be OK. Where is the art of guiding your life. Where is the art of thinking good things. On a fundamental level what does it come down to. Where the rubber meets the road. I don't only want to here that all I have to do is watch my thoughts. I know there has to be more to this. The idea that one just has to watch thoughts. Sounds crazy to non-Buddhists. As this implies that all you have to do is some how mysteriously watch your thoughts and your life as a person might watch the a TV. But nothing is said about changing the channel. This is the fundamental flaw in Buddhism I think.

There should be an art of being and becoming. How to become successful in the external world and science. While simultaneously being an internal scientist and subjectively observing and documenting our own internal world through meditation. Where is the art of thinking in Buddhism?

This is the fundamental thing I think all Buddhists need to acknowledge when talking about guiding ones life. We need to acknowledge we live in a world of desire and that it's not that easy just to watch our thoughts without some desire. I have some theories about all this. For instance we need the right software mentally to effectively use some form of desire in our thinking to accomplish a goal. Some are better thinkers than others. The other thought of mine is that we have to acknowledge our thoughts in our thinking. Perhaps we should take the scientific or philosophical way of viewing thoughts when we want to think to accomplish a goal that we should doubt everything until we establish some substantial proof and reasoning in our minds. This will prevent us from making delusions about what we see and think. The other thing that I think is quite evident is that we need to acknowledge our thoughts and not fully trust in them, but that we seek and work through our thoughts acknowledging that they are a part of us and yet trying to use them to accomplish a goal or goals in our life. We think we need to use the power of the mind with love of the self creating more and more beautiful thoughts and reaching higher and higher levels of understand of reality. If any of the things that I just mentioned are in Buddhism please let me know.

BTW I do believe in meditation and I practice it. Not as much as I should but I do.

I fully understand that in the end we must give up all thoughts and all desires but that misses the point of being about to create an eternal foundation in the world. To psychologically enable people to be able to think the right things and do the right things.

The ultimate question is how do you express the good virtues that arise from within without ever having attained any internal liberation so that you can see the nature of the mind. I have so many thoughts I can go on and on.

The Dalai Lama is on to something I think in him accepting science and saying the Buddhism and science have many parallels and the like. In fact he wants to make meditation a science which is one the best thing he can be doing to Buddhism right now. I just think that Buddhism needs to understand and learn the expression of the spirit in psychology.

So please again tell me what is the art of being and becoming in Buddhism. Or should I say how do you guide your life and your thoughts and your thinking without ever having attained some great internal liberation? Don't we need some external software in our beliefs to effectively overcome certain external obstacles. No Buddhists can deny the advances that science and philosophy has had on the world. Doesn't Buddhism still need to evolve it's beliefs a little? Not every Buddhist in the US can meditate 7-13 hours a day to reach nirvana. Right now we have to deal with the external world, and the psychology of people. If Buddhism can answer these questions I think it will be much better off in our current world. Thoughts please.

Peace!

Comments

• edited May 2012
    If Buddhism can acknowledge in our day and age that some kinds of psychological feelings are better than other psychological feelings. But to completely deny psychological feelings and say to just watch the thoughts and feelings does not seem to be a reasonable goal for many new Buddhists in the US who can't meditate a lot.

We need to acknowledge some feelings are better than others. In fact we need to prioritize them. And establish an acceptable psychology to those in the external world of desires to help draw them closer.

The problem I think is that we need to stop seeing the world as so black and white. And acknowledge others problems as Buddhists and come to the best conclusion possible to slowly guide them to a better understanding of the higher teachings.

Peace!
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    There aren't right thoughts and wrong thoughts. Your mind is already bodhicitta. You don't need to get a heart transplant. You just need to let go of wrong thinking. It is a letting go not a fabrication of structures and opinions.

There are purification methods in the Hinayana which means the vehicle limited to the self; it does not mean Theravada. Unrelated to the train of thought of the vehicles as thought of in the Tibetan tradition, here is a sutta in the Pali Canon:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.002.than.html
    I have heard that on one occasion the Blessed One was staying at Savatthi, in Jeta's Grove, Anathapindika's monastery. There he addressed the monks: "Monks!"

"Yes, lord," the monks replied.

The Blessed One said, "Monks, the ending of the fermentations is for one who knows & sees, I tell you, not for one who does not know & does not see. For one who knows what & sees what? Appropriate attention & inappropriate attention. When a monk attends inappropriately, unarisen fermentations arise, and arisen fermentations increase. When a monk attends appropriately, unarisen fermentations do not arise, and arisen fermentations are abandoned. There are fermentations to be abandoned by seeing, those to be abandoned by restraining, those to be abandoned by using, those to be abandoned by tolerating, those to be abandoned by avoiding, those to be abandoned by destroying, and those to be abandoned by developing.

"[1] And what are the fermentations to be abandoned by seeing? There is the case where an uninstructed, run-of-the-mill person — who has no regard for noble ones, is not well-versed or disciplined in their Dhamma; who has no regard for men of integrity, is not well-versed or disciplined in their Dhamma — does not discern what ideas are fit for attention or what ideas are unfit for attention. This being so, he does not attend to ideas fit for attention and attends [instead] to ideas unfit for attention.
  • Hi

Just briefly, very briefly:

Buddhism does not disacknowledge feelings, thoughts etc. Buddhism in the beginning IS the study of the self. And study does not mean mindless wandering or drifting along with - it means clarity, wisdom and truth.

Therefore in the example above it does not occur that one just mindlessly watches a thought.

IOW I think there is some misunderstanding here of the Buddhist concepts, although it appears that is a very common thing for non practitioners.

FWIW.

Abu
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I will not use the word control here but guide. Correct me if I am wrong here. I am not to educated in Buddhist beliefs. It almost seems to non-Buddhists that there is a kind of denial of external activities and thoughts.
    Which 'non-Buddhists' are you referring to? could you cite sources, please?
    When confronted with a problem Buddhists seem to just recommend to watch the thoughts that arise.
    Erm... i don't think that's all hey recommend....
    So in only using this logic if Hitler while he was doing the things he was doing if all he had to do is watch what was going on while he was doing it he would be OK.
    I don't think Hitler ever consulted Buddhists about what he should or should not do with his thoughts, did he?
    Where is the art of guiding your life. Where is the art of thinking good things. On a fundamental level what does it come down to. Where the rubber meets the road. I don't only want to here that all I have to do is watch my thoughts. I know there has to be more to this.
    Damn right there is... there are the 4 Noble Truths, the Eightfold Path and the 5 precepts.
    where do you get this blinkered idea that the solution is simply to watch the thoughts?
    The idea that one just has to watch thoughts. Sounds crazy to non-Buddhists.
    I can see why. sounds pretty crazy to me too....

I honestly can't be asked to plough my way through the rest of what i consider to be nonsense.
    Sorry, but that's the way I see it.....
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2012
    Just watching thoughts you can realize the three marks. Which is a doorway. But it isn't the only endevour. The three marks are impermanence, non-self, and suffering.. And then there is the gateless gate of non-doing.

You are free to gravitate to what is on your wavelength and only have a mild interest in someone elses path.
  • edited May 2012
    Sorry guys, I have had a lot of struggles through out my life. I'm finding it hard to integrate Buddhism into my life.

I don't want you to criticize me without providing some real answers to my questions. If you can't do that don't say anything.

I was not aware of these three marks or doors. I will research that.

Peace!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    research is best, always, first and foremost.
    A closed mouth gathers no foot.... ;)
  • PrairieGhostPrairieGhost Veteran
    edited May 2012
    Hi Astralprojectee
    Sorry guys, I have had a lot of struggles through out my life. I'm finding it hard to integrate Buddhism into my life.
    The fact that you are used to struggle and are trying hard to integrate Buddhism into your life means you're on the right path. A lot of people say it's easy to integrate Buddhism into their lives, because they aren't really doing so.
    When confronted with a problem Buddhists seem to just recommend to watch the thoughts that arise.
    No, when confronted with hypothetical problems or problems that are articulated in a biased, dualistic way, Buddhists recommend stepping back from the thoughts and realising that what you think is not the way things are. The vast majority of people will admit that of course our thoughts are not omniscient, yet the vast majority of people act as though they are at times.

When confronted with an actual situation, people who practice Buddhism are not passive.

To actualise Buddhist theory, one must practice meditation and mindfulness, meaning following the breath wherever we are, regular (I don't recommend a schedule, I recommend doing it as often as possible, for as long as, or slightly longer than is comfortable) seated or lying down meditation where we just let ourselves be and let the breath be, returning to awareness of the breath when concentration lapses, and remaining aware of one's experience in all situations, but gently, not struggling, not expecting, not grasping.

Also one must attempt in all situations to act ethically, with the emphasis on kindness and compassion rather than pharisaic moral dictates.

One must study cause and effect in the suttas, sutras and most importantly in one's life. Many people recommend a teacher, though I do not believe this is essential (while it may be very helpful), and I cannot advise you on choosing one, though I am sure others here can.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited May 2012
    On a fundamental level what does it come down to. Where the rubber meets the road.
    Where the rubber meets the road is on a meditation cushion.
    As this implies that all you have to do is some how mysteriously watch your thoughts and your life as a person might watch the a TV. But nothing is said about changing the channel. This is the fundamental flaw in Buddhism I think.
    Understanding what you are watching is what changes the channel. And you can't understand it if you don't even watch it. It's not about just watching, it's about understanding what you're watching, understanding how your mind functions.
    Don't we need some external software in our beliefs to effectively overcome certain external obstacles.
    There are no such thing as "external obstacles". ALL obstacles are made by the mind and the mind alone. Learning how your mind functions, by observing it, allows you to see how it's creating these obstacles. Once you understand the "true nature" of these obstacles, they are no longer obstacles. It is a mistake to think that obstacles are created by anything else but yourself. Why do you create these obstacles for yourself?
    Not every Buddhist in the US can meditate 7-13 hours a day to reach nirvana. Right now we have to deal with the external world, and the psychology of people.
    7-13 hours a day of sitting on a cushion is not required and never was in order to "progress along the path". People during the Buddha's time also had to deal with the external world and psychology of people too. However, meditation is more than just sitting on a cushion. It is a 24/7 activity that can be done by anyone, anywhere, regardless of circumstances.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2012
    @AstralProjectee, to begin with just try meditation to calm down and have a concentrated mind. Try a guided meditation on the you tube.

Then read around and keep talking to us and other buddhist friends.
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited May 2012
    @AstralProjectee: seems like you have not read Buddha's teachings to a large extent as you say you find the 3 marks - anicca, dukkha and anatta - to which you are unaware. my suggestion is try to search on internet for Buddha's teachings. try to understand 4 noble truths, 8-fold path, 5 aggregates, dependent origination and that all conditioned things are anicca, dukkha and anatta.

moreover, don't try to think too much because thinking will not lead you anywhere. thoughts are disturbance of the mind and silence is the stillness of the mind. from stillness of the mind, calm arises and then wisdom arises.

Dhamma is nature and nature is Dhamma. try to see things as 'just they are'. the outer world Samsara is the projection of our mind. everything is empty of any inherent existence. try to do meditation on a regular basis by letting go of thoughts.