Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Simple analogies of "sutra and tantra?"

SileSile Veteran
edited May 2012 in Buddhism Basics
I'm interested in exploring the general concepts of "sutra" and "tantra," and am personally drawn to simple analogies as a way of attempting to understand things better.

Here's one idea:

Sutra: All beings have been your mother.
Tantra: See all beings as your mother.

In this case I think of sutra as the textbook, and tantra as the workbook, lol.

Does anyone have other examples or thoughts on this--chiefly, simple analogies on what sutra and tantra are?

Comments

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Ketchup on the hamburger?

Nobody lives on Ketchup.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Sutra - I learn.
    Tantra - I practice.
  • SileSile Veteran
    Lol, I love it so far!
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2012
    Sutra, don't create anti-gravity potions, using uppers and downers in same sentence.

Tantra, anti-gravity potions reveal the mind's limits.
  • Sutra: you must accept that you are limited by the law of gravity

Tantra: now gravity had better know its limits :D
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    Sutra: renunciation

Tanta: transformation
  • SileSile Veteran
    Sutra: The cause of some back pain back pain is stiffness.
    Tantra: Do this stretching exercise. P.S. It will cause back pain at first.
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited May 2012
    This is from another forum, and adds a proposed outcome:

Sutra: All beings have been your mother.

Tantra: See all beings as your mother.

Me: Beliving the validity of the sutra, and having drilled in the practice of the tantra, I now (attempt to increasingly) treat all beings as kindly as my own mother.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    Sutra: Vows and precepts.
    Tantra: Initiations and empowerments from guru.

Sutra: Path towards fruit.
    Tantra: Taking the fruit as path.
  • I thought tantra was related to sex :D
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    tantra means weave and sutra means thread.
  • SileSile Veteran
    I thought tantra was related to sex :D
    The Kama Sutra certainly is!

• SileSile Veteran
    tantra means weave and sutra means thread.
    I've always liked that collection of definitions.

I think it's interesting that sūtra can mean, specifically, a "thread that holds things together," as related to sew and suture.

An interesting alternate possibility:

Some scholars consider that the Buddhist use of sūtra is a mis-Sanskritization of Prakrit or Pali sutta, and that the latter represented Sanskrit sūkta, "well spoken", "good news" (as the Buddha himself refers to his speech in his first sermon; compare the original meaning of Gospel), which would also resolve as sutta in Pali.[4] The early Buddhist sutras do not present the aphoristic, nearly cryptic nature of the Hindu sutras,[5] even though they also have been designed for mnemonic purposes in an oral tradition. On the contrary, they are most often lengthy, with many repetitions which serve the mnemonic purpose of the audience. They share the character of sermons of "good news" with the Jaina sūtras, whose original name of sūya (in Ardhamagadhi language) can derive from Sanskrit sūkta, but hardly from sūtra. [K. R. Norman: A philological approach to Buddhism: the Bukkyo Dendo Kyokai Lectures 1994. (Buddhist Forum, Vol. v.) xx, 193 pp. London: School of Oriental and African Studies, 1997. p. 104]
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited May 2012
    As for tantra, I very much like this piece of historical analysis:

Defined primarily as a technique-rich style of spiritual practice, Tantra has no single coherent doctrine; rather, it developed different teachings in connection with the different religions that adopted the Tantric method. These teachings tended to support and validate the practices of Tantra, which in their classical form are more oriented to the married householder than the monastic or solitary renunciant, and thus exhibited what may be called a world-embracing rather than a world-denying character.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tantra
  • SileSile Veteran
    Sutra: Read and reflect.
    Tantra: Picture and practice.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Sutra - food is nourishment and one should eat whatever is in front of them slowly and mindfully.

Tantra - I don't give an eff, I eat an egg salad sandwich every day and a giant bean burrito.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    I'm interested in exploring the general concepts of "sutra" and "tantra," and am personally drawn to simple analogies as a way of attempting to understand things better.
    I'm not really sure what "tantra" is - can anybody give us a definiton?
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    I'm not really sure what "tantra" is - can anybody give us a definiton?
    What is Tantra?

The highest of all possible human goals is the attainment of complete enlightenment, an ultimate state of peace in which all obstacles obscuring the mind have been removed and all good qualities such as wisdom, compassion, and skillful means have been fully developed.

However, we cannot reach this ultimate goal merely by waiting for it; we need to use the appropriate methods to take us there.

What are the methods for attaining the peace of full enlightenment? They are the paths of Sutra and Secret Mantra; there is no third method. Of these two, the techniques revealed in Secret Mantra are superior to those revealed in the Sutras.

Not only is Secret Mantra the supreme path to full enlightenment, it is also extremely rare. As Je Tsongkhapa said, the teachings of Secret Mantra are even rarer than the Buddhas because, although a thousand founding Buddhas will appear during this Fortunate Eon, only the fourth (Buddha Shakyamuni), the eleventh, and the last will teach the paths of Secret Mantra.

At the moment, we have a great opportunity to practice these rare and beneficial teachings, so it is important that we develop a strong intention to practice them purely.

If the Mahayana teachings were to vanish from this world, we would have no opportunity to become a Buddha. Therefore, while we still have access to these precious teachings, we should apply ourself to them assiduously and try to gain some experience of them.

The etymology of Secret Mantra is as follows. ‘Secret’ indicates that these methods should be practiced discreetly. If we make a display of our practices, we will attract many hindrances and negative forces. This would be like someone talking openly and carelessly about a precious jewel they possessed and, as a result, attracting the attention of thieves.

‘Mantra’ means ‘protection for the mind’. The function of Secret Mantra is to enable us to progress swiftly through the stages of the spiritual path by protecting our mind against ordinary appearances and ordinary conceptions.

For more information on this subject, see Tantric Grounds and Paths.

Why Practice Tantra?

It is often said that the path of Tantra is superior to the path of Sutra, but to understand why this is so we need to engage in a precise study of both Sutra and Tantra; otherwise our statements about the superiority of Tantra will be mere words.

Moreover, if we do not study both Sutra and Tantra well, we shall find it difficult to understand how to practice the union of Sutra and Tantra, and then there will be a great danger of our either rejecting the practice of Tantra or ignoring the practice of Sutra.

The teachings of Tantra, or Secret Mantra as it is sometimes called, are the rarest and most precious of Buddha’s teachings. It is only by following the path of Secret Mantra that we can attain enlightenment, or Buddhahood.

Why can we not attain full enlightenment just by practicing the paths of Sutra? There are two main reasons. First, to attain Buddhahood we need to accomplish both the Truth Body and the Form Body of a Buddha.

Although Sutra teachings present a general explanation of how these two bodies are accomplished in dependence upon the stages of the path of wisdom and method, they do not give precise explanations of the actual direct, substantial causes of these two bodies. The direct, substantial cause of the Truth Body is meaning clear light, and the direct, substantial cause of the Form Body is the illusory body. These are explained only in Secret Mantra.

The second reason why Sutra paths cannot lead us to full enlightenment is that Sutra teachings do not present methods for overcoming the very subtle obstructions to omniscience – the subtle dualistic appearances associated with the minds of white appearance, red increase, and black near-attainment.

These three minds become manifest when our inner winds dissolve within the central channel during sleep, during the death process, or during completion stage meditation.

Although these minds are subtle minds they are nevertheless contaminated minds because their objects – the appearance of space pervaded by white light, the appearance of space pervaded by red light, and the appearance of space pervaded by darkness – appear as inherently existent.

These appearances of inherent existence are subtle dualistic appearances, and very subtle obstructions to omniscience. Because Sutra teachings do not explain how to recognize the subtle minds of white appearance, red increase, and black near-attainment, Sutra Bodhisattvas are unable even to recognize the subtle dualistic appearances associated with them, let alone abandon them.

In general, dualistic appearance is the appearance to a mind of both its object and inherent existence. All the minds of living beings, with the exception of the exalted awareness of meditative equipoise of Superior beings, have this appearance.

A direct realization of emptiness with a gross mind does not have the power to overcome the subtle dualistic appearances associated with the minds of white appearance, red increase, and black near-attainment.

The only way to abandon these subtle dualistic appearances is to realize emptiness directly with a very subtle mind of clear light. Since the methods for manifesting and using the very subtle mind of clear light are explained only in Secret Mantra, anyone who wishes to attain Buddhahood definitely needs to enter this path.

For more information, see Tantric Grounds and Paths and Clear Light of Bliss.

http://kadampa.org/en/reference/what-is-tantra/
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    @porpoise, tantra is when a teacher gives a direct transmission of pointing out instructions to understand the nature of the mind. It is seemless with mahayana dependent origination/shunyata. Shunyata is the nature of mind and tantra picks up seemlessly with where that realization left off.0op0o-----------------------0opo

When emptiness is realized there are Buddha qualities left over. These are nirvana dharma seal.-----------------------= If these qualities don't appear then the mahayana emptiness has not been realized.

Tantra is part of Tibetan Buddhism and is the diamond indestructible vehicle because there is nothing left out and nothing to add. As @taiyaki said in another thread 'the fruit is the path.'

Take this all with HUGE grain of salt because I do not practice this just my lama is approved to teach. Did I mention that tantra ONLY can legitimitely, 'authentically', definitively, and safely be taught as a pointing out instruction. Otherwise it would be like trying to learn to speak english from a dictionary.
  • PrairieGhostPrairieGhost Veteran
    edited May 2012
    I do not intend to argue about this, but just to let people know that caznamyaw's views on the superiority of certain Tibetan traditions are by no means universal.

In particular, again, without wanting to dispute this myself, because I've seen a lot of these arguments go nowhere, I suggest that the characterisation of all other traditions as limited 'sutra' traditions as opposed to complete 'tantric' methods, should be considered and investigated in an unbiased way before being accepted.

I see tantra as a patchwork of non-sectarian methods.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    @PrairieGhost, could you elaborate on how tantra is a patchwork of non-sectarian methods? For example, what do you mean by non-sectarian?
    edited May 2012
    The Tibetans adopted Indian Tantras, which were practical techniques that influenced various religions. Breath meditation is tantra, as is kundalini yoga, metta practice, mantra practice, tai chi etc. Every tradition has experts who claim that their versions of these techniques are profoundly opposite to the techniques of other sects, and only appear similar on a surface level. Or that other sects are purely theoretical, whereas theirs is practical.

Whether that is true or not is something I would encourage others to keep an open mind about; I don't know everything, am by no means an expert, but I have noticed in this world a historic tendency for religious supercessionalism and the mischaracterisation of other traditions, and am therefore suggesting people bear this in mind and investigate for themselves.
  • ... as I am doing. I keep an open mind to Vajrayanan claims.
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited May 2012
    Also keep in mind that the traditional way of explaining things often uses a certain "dialect" if you can call it that. Traditional phrases you will hear over and over; if we translate it too directly, or without knowing that some things are a figure of speech, it can be confusing.

For example, a teacher may introduce the Vajrasattva mantra, and at some point in the lesson will say something like "this mantra is supreme for purification." Often this gets translated as "this is the supreme mantra for [x]" when it may be better to say "a supreme mantra for [x]."

If that same teacher teaches on the Maitreya Mantra the next day, he/she may refer to it as a/the supreme mantra for purification; both mantras are indeed seen as powerful purification mantras, but the traditional way of presenting a teaching involves a lot of positive praise for whatever the subject that day is, and it can seem like one day the teacher is saying "this is the best of all," and then saying something entirely different is "the best of all," the next day.

It would be similar to hearing the Christian phrase, "most loving Father" one day and then "most loving Savior" the next; a non-native English speaker, or someone unfamiliar with Christian dialect, might be confused and think there is some kind of competition going on, and that it's not clear who is the most loving.

At the beginning of sutras themselves you will often hear them introduced as being the "best" in some way, but this is really a figure of speech praising that particular sutra.

In older English we used to have more of this "praise" speech ourselves, but it's gone out of fashion for the most part.

This is not to say there are no differences between practices; tantra is definitely taught as being a practical path for a householder (i.e. non-monk, non-nun) who doesn't have the time to contemplate for long periods of time. Tantra tries to make use of everyday life as a means of practice, instead. However, tantra is not in opposition to sutra, and the basics of Buddhism (ethics, wisdom, compassion, etc.) are the same.

I think it's very valuable to discuss this issue, because it can sound very complicated, and is very often misunderstood. People get unnecessarily fearful and spooked over tantra, in my opinion, mostly due to misunderstanding and disinformation.

Some also seem fearful that the West is not suitable for tantra, but I actualy feel we are somewhat uniquely ready for it, because we have a pretty extensive familiarity now with sports psychology, and other therapies/training traditions that make use of visualization. We generally accept, for example, that visualizing success on the sports field (visualizing making a basket, or hitting a ball farther, etc.) can genuinely improve our game. This is a reasoned belief for many now, because scientific studies show that visualization does have an effect. This familiarity with visualiation is not something every culture has yet.

We do have lots of distractions, though, and short attention spans, and love to scandalize things; it could be that these tendencies are unfortunately more powerful in the end and will sabotage not only tantra but all forms of Buddhism in the West.
    edited May 2012
    Sile
    This is not to say there are no differences between practices; tantra is definitely taught as being a practical path for a householder (i.e. non-monk, non-nun) who doesn't have the time to contemplate for long periods of time. Tantra tries to make use of everyday life as a means of practice, instead.
    There's a subtle supposition of difference here, and characterisation of other traditions and practices, presented as self-evident, that I find it difficult to accept unquestioningly.

I've yet to find a living Buddhist tradition which does not make use of everyday life as a means of practice.
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited May 2012
    Sile
    This is not to say there are no differences between practices; tantra is definitely taught as being a practical path for a householder (i.e. non-monk, non-nun) who doesn't have the time to contemplate for long periods of time. Tantra tries to make use of everyday life as a means of practice, instead.
    There's a subtle supposition of difference here, and characterisation of other traditions and practices, presented as self-evident, that I find it difficult to accept unquestioningly.
    There's definitely no need to accept it unquestioningly! I would argue for careful examination of the differences, though, remembering the linguistic difficulties. Some Tae Kwon Do academies teach that this or that exercise is the best way to prepare for sparring; different strokes for different folks. It's worth seeing what works best for you, and not getting too offended when people have passionate views in favor of alternatives.

I don't feel that everyone must make use of tantra, but neither should people criticize those who do; most of the negativity towards tantra (or any other Buddhist practice) is the result of misunderstanding.

Again, many sutras start out by saying they are the "best," etc., but this isn't taken to mean there is no other sutra worth reading, even though it could be easily misinterpreted that way.

• No, I'm not negative towards it, only the claims of superiority, which I see no evidence for. It might be best, even if Vajrayana is superior, to make no such claims and let people discover this for themselves, if correct. When someone makes an argument, wise people judge it on its merits, they are not persuaded by a statement such as 'this is a superior argument', in fact, that kind of statement puts a lot of people off.
  • SileSile Veteran
    Our dear Lama Zopa Rinpoche is, as many know, a very passionate teacher; if I added up all the practices he strongly recommends as important to do every day," I'm not sure how it would be possible to follow the advice ;) Maybe there's a deeper message, or maybe it's his way of saying every practice is important and just try your best, etc.

I really believe we students (maybe Western-influenced students in particular?) get really hung up on differences, maybe because there are so many choices, and we want to weed some out ahead of time by saying "this is the only right way," or "that way is bad." we long for simplification, understandably, and tend towards rigidity and obsession (at least I do).

Yet when a Theravadin teacher and Vajrayana teacher meet, for example, in my experience, the last thing they would do is argue over whose system is better. There's nothing wrong with debate and analysis of course, but I hope we students can eventually adopt this more laid-back tolerance of the rich and healthy variety within Buddhism.
    edited May 2012
    Agreed :thumbup:
  • SileSile Veteran
    No, I'm not negative towards it, only the claims of superiority, which I see no evidence for. It might be best, even if Vajrayana is superior, to make no such claims and let people discover this for themselves, if correct. When someone makes an argument, wise people judge it on its merits, they are not persuaded by a statement such as 'this is a superior argument', in fact, that kind of statement puts a lot of people off.
    I agree it's off putting; unfortunately, what seems like hyperbole to us is sometimes just the traditional way of showing passion and respect for the topic at hand.

Think of a very passionate sports coach introducing a new strength exercise...I've heard it myself, thing like "Okay people, now this is going to be THE BEST workout for your heart and lungs." Last year it might have been a completely different exercise but introduced in the same, overstated way.

Read the opening statements of four or five sutras...the same "hyperbole" is there. This passion for the topic at hand is so characteristic of Asian literature in general.

edited May 2012
    Yes, I guess it's easy to fall into the trap of judging a tradition by its most vocal students, who may have picked up and misinterpreted such encouragements. It was also easier when these traditions began, because people travelled less and compared less, didn't have the internet either, so you could tell them 'this system is the best' (because some people need such assurances), in the knowledge that they would just get on and practice it rather than using it to score points from other contemplatives.

I expect a lot of teachers got tired of being told 'I have heard of a higher path than yours, so I am going to wait until I can journey to x place, and not practice until then', so they just said 'ok, my teaching is the highest, nothing to see anywhere else and you don't live there anyway, now get on with it'.
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited May 2012
    One final observation...Buddhism is very fond of offering point-for-point proofs, or reasoning, when presenting theory. What can sound to us like a long litany of "My way's the best and here's every reason why," is often just the speaker giving every point of logic which supports the current statement or supports his final conclusion. If the topic at hand is "the swiftness of tantra," the traditional way of stating that is to list every reason supporting the topic of tantra being swifter, for example, than something else, and why. This can sound like a big "in-your-face" but is really just the traditional way to present a topic. Often in Buddhist traditional logic debates, then, the other person will come back with a list trying to disprove the first person's points. It can sound adversarial when in fact it's meant to sharpen ones reasoning skills.

At the same time, it is expected that a teacher will not just say "tantra is swift take it or leave it," but instead present a series of logical points which support the theory that tantra is swift. How many times have we heard at the end of class, "Now examine these concepts" or something to that effect? There is always the reminder to examine, examine, examine, not take it on blind faith.
    edited May 2012
    Yes, it's very much Indian thinking. To pare ideas down till they can't stand and your understanding becomes more subtle. Whereas East Asian thinking, in Zen, for instance, is more about just whacking your views between the eyes.

And I think it's good that we have that variety to suit different temperaments.
  • SileSile Veteran
    Yes, it's very much Indian thinking. To pare ideas down till they can't stand and your understanding becomes more subtle. Whereas East Asian thinking, in Zen, for instance, is more about just whacking your views between the eyes.

And I think it's good that we have that variety to suit different temperaments.
    Very much agree.

• SileSile Veteran
    edited May 2012
    Sutra: It's possible to learn French, and to use this skill to help others.

Tantra: Remember what the sutra says: it's possible to learn French, and to use this skill to help others. Pay close attention to the French teacher in front of you. Ask her for advice on how she overcame obstacles when she was beginning to learn French. Listen to the nuances of her pronunciation. Try to say the words yourself. New things are unsettling, so to help you over your hesitation and embarrassment, imagine yourself saying the words beautifully, confidently and expertly. This is absolutely possible. Now imagine yourself using this expert skill to help others--feel the relief and comfort you provide to a Haitian family struggling to communicate with customs officers. Use this feeling to inspire you to keep going, even when it's difficult. You're doing this for a wonderful purpose. Now, with this new confidence and inspiration, try saying the words again.

Do this over and over until, as the sutra says, you can speak French, and then, as the sutra advises, use this skill to help others.
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited May 2012
    Now it could be argued that the description above is actually of a tantric exercise, and that the fullest experience of the tantra will be to immerse yourself in a French-speaking environment with all the three-dimensional fear, hard work, blows to your ego, uncertainty, excitement, and rich energy that environment provides. Linguistic (and other) sciences have shown, in fact, that when emotions are heightened, learning is enhanced for many people in multiple ways (speed, retention, etc.)

• I thought tantra was related to sex :D
    The Kama Sutra certainly is!

OK :)

I am not familiar with the words so danke.
  • Otherwise it would be like trying to learn to speak english from a dictionary.
    I think that's how most people approach Buddhism i.e just reading, at least Tibetan schools are smart enough to make it clear that it is about guidance and instruction to put into practice
  • If you don’t understand by yourself, you’ll have to find a teacher to get to the bottom of life and death. But unless he sees his nature, such a person isn’t a teacher. Even if he can recite the Twelvefold Canon he can’t escape the Wheel of Birth and Death. He suffers in the three realms without hope of release. Long ago, the monk Good Star was able to recite the entire Canon. But he didn’t escape the Wheel, because he didn’t see his nature. If this was the case with Good Star, then people nowadays who recite a few sutras or shastras and think it’s the Dharma are fools. Unless you see your mind, reciting so much prose is useless.

To find a Buddha all you have to do is see your nature. Your nature is the Buddha. And the Buddha is the person who’s free: free of plans, free of cares. If you don’t see your nature and run around all day looking somewhere else, you’ll never find a buddha. The truth is there’s nothing to find. But to reach such an understanding you need a teacher and you need to struggle to make yourself understand. Life and death are important. Don’t suffer them in vain.

There’s no advantage in deceiving yourself. Even if you have mountains of jewels and as many servants as there are grains of sand along the Ganges, you see them when your eyes are open. But what about when your eyes are shut? You should realize then that everything you see is like a dream or illusion.

If you don’t find a teacher soon, you’ll live this life in vain. It’s true, you have the buddha-nature. But the help of a teacher you’ll never know it. Only one person in a million becomes enlightened without a teacher’s help. If, though, by the conjunction of conditions, someone understands what the Buddha meant, that person doesn’t need a teacher. Such a person has a natural awareness superior to anything taught. But unless you’re so blessed, study hard, and by means of instruction you’ll understand.

People who don’t understand and think they can do so without study are no different from those deluded souls who can’t tell white from black. Falsely proclaiming the Buddha-Dharma, such persons in fact blaspheme the Buddha and subvert the Dharma. They preach as if they were bringing rain. But theirs is the preaching of devils not of Buddhas. Their teacher is the King of Devils and their disciples are the Devil’s minions. Deluded people who follow such instruction unwittingly sink deeper in the Sea of Birth and Death. Unless they see their nature, how can people call themselves Buddhas they’re liars who deceive others into entering the realm of devils. Unless they see their nature, their preaching of the Twelvefold Canon is nothing but the preaching of devils. Their allegiance is to Mara, not to the Buddha. Unable to distinguish white from black, how can they escape birth and death?

- Bodhidharma
  • No, I'm not negative towards it, only the claims of superiority, which I see no evidence for.
    I think Tibetan uses a lot of the faith method, but if realised, I see the results as the same as other Mahayana schools and Thai Forest (I am not that familiar with other Theravadan teachings and find others a bit dry).
    I see tantra as a patchwork of non-sectarian methods.
    It seems to mean different things to different people. ;)
    As far as I can tell tantra in the broadest sense means embracing everyday experience as part of our practice - maintaining mindfulness throughout the day would be an example.
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited June 2012
    I wonder if it would be helpful to distinguish between a literary tantra, i.e. a piece of writing, versus tantra as a concept?

I notice in going back to some of the definitions that the word itself, tantra, is actually often given as "loom" (earlier we'd mentioned "to weave.")

It made me wonder whether everyday life, daily experiences, could be considered the loom on which we weave. So our regular life is the framework on which we create our spirituality, as opposed maybe to keeping our secular life and spiritual life separate?
    I wonder if it would be helpful to distinguish between a literary tantra, i.e. a piece of writing, versus tantra as a concept?
    Isn't a literary tantra a sutra?
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited June 2012
    Isn't a literary tantra a sutra?
    For what it's worth, Wikipedia has two separate entries:

For Tantric Buddhism, see Vajrayana. For the texts classified as Tantras, see Tantras.

From that Tantras link, here's the bit on the texts:

The Vajrayana tradition has developed an extended body of texts:

Though we do not know precisely at present just how many Indian tantric Buddhist texts survive today in the language in which they were written, their number is certainly over one thousand five hundred; I suspect indeed over two thousand. A large part of this body of texts has also been translated into Tibetan, and a smaller part into Chinese. Aside from these, there are perhaps another two thousand or more works that are known today only from such translations. We can be certain as well that many others are lost to us forever, in whatever form. Of the texts that survive a very small proportion has been published; an almost insignificant percentage has been edited or translated reliably."
    [48]

[48] ^ Tantric Buddhism in India (from c. 800 to c. 1200). In: Buddhismus in Geschichte und Gegenwart. Band II. Hamburg. pp.23–49. (Internal publication of Hamburg University.) pg 3 [4]
  • SileSile Veteran
    This summary strikes me as rather beautiful:

“One must rouse all the energies one can discover in his body, emotions and mind, and combine them into a vehicle which will carry him towards enlightenment. Enlightenment being that state of knowing the truth about the origin of things and men, and their meaning, as clearly as experiencing a street.” (Philip Rawson, 1973, "Tantra")