Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

If Buddha walked over a glass bottle and cut him-self.. Would he feel the pain? and say 'OUCH'!!

zenmystezenmyste Veteran
edited June 2012 in Buddhism Basics
Considering he was only human, im guessing he still felt pain.

Apparently, according to some traditions he died from 'Food Poisoning' so at this time of illness, surely he would have suffered and been uncomfortable wouldnt he?
(no one enjoys being sick) YUK!

I only ask because I have read some people who think he was some God-like Powerful man etc ..
But he was just a normal guy right? (or could have been made up, who knows?)

Cheers!

Comments

• SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
    edited June 2012
    There is pain and there is suffering.
  • Isn't he the one who said that life is suffering...
    Life is suffering or life has suffering. Different versions. Besides, suffering is an inadequate translation.

• Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited June 2012

Apparently, according to some traditions he died from 'Food Poisoning' so at this time of illness, surely he would have suffered and been uncomfortable wouldnt he?

I only ask because I have read some people who think he was some God-like Powerful man etc ..

Cheers!
    What does food poisoning/physical pain have to do with "god-like powerful man etc?"

Even Christians acknowledge that Jesus "suffered and died," yet he's worshipped.

Could you provide some links/sources to these people who say the Buddha is a god? I know about the deification of the Buddha/Buddhas in Asia, but I haven't really encountered anything/anyone that's said Gautama Buddha could never be harmed or whatever. Clearly, he died.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    There's a very similar example from the Buddha's own life.
    The Buddha had an evil cousin named Devadatta who was insanely jealous of the Buddha. Devadatta even tried three times to kill the Buddha. On one of those occasions Devadatta pushed a rock off a cliff to try to kill the Buddha who was sitting below in meditation. The rock struck and injured the Buddha’s foot. The Buddha felt and noted the painful injury, but did he suffer? The answer is, “No.”

http://www.vipassanabuddhistchurch.org/about.html
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited June 2012
    Yes, he would feel pain. The body still exists, so there is still pain. However, the mind does not follow.

Here is the sutta which explains this:
    Now, the well-instructed disciple of the noble ones, when touched with a feeling of pain, does not sorrow, grieve, or lament, does not beat his breast or become distraught. So he feels one pain: physical, but not mental. Just as if they were to shoot a man with an arrow and, right afterward, did not shoot him with another one, so that he would feel the pain of only one arrow. In the same way, when touched with a feeling of pain, the well-instructed disciple of the noble ones does not sorrow, grieve, or lament, does not beat his breast or become distraught. He feels one pain: physical, but not mental.
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn36/sn36.006.than.html
    Because at occasions he said that the freedom/knowledge of "the well-instructed disciple of the noble ones" is the same as his, I see no reason to think the above would not apply to the Buddha.

But would he say OUCH? Probably not, because that's more of a mental thing.

Metta!
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

Cheers!
    See SN 1.38 and the aforementioned SN 36.6.
  • TalismanTalisman Veteran
    edited June 2012
    in my opinion ... no he would not feel pain, he has brought about the cessation of all suffering
  • Considering he was only human, im guessing he still felt pain.

Cheers!
    See SN 1.38 and the aforementioned SN 36.6.
    beautiful, thank you so much for enriching my life
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    He was a god like powerful man, but not because of his body but his mind. Even though he wasn't a man and didn't even have a body or a mind. He didn't even have feet that could step on glass to begin with. There were feet and there was pain, but it wasn't his. That is why he is called "deathless"

"So, bhikkhus any kind of form whatever,...Any kind of feeling whatever...Any kind of perception whatever...Any kind of determination whatever...Any kind of consciousness whatever, whether past, future or presently arisen, whether gross or subtle, whether in oneself or external, whether inferior or superior, whether far or near must, with right understanding how it is, be regarded thus: 'This is not mine, this is not I, this is not my self."

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    I think he would feel pain because of the nerves in his body. So how would a Buddha react in between the ears? I have no idea. I am guessing that he wouldn't worry about it.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    He still had nerve endings in his foot I assume. He may not have exactly said ouch, but he more than likely felt pain.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    hand touching object glass contact arising of sense consciousness.

feeling: unpleasant

would this cause craving and clinging?

"i am" feeling this pain. (this and that duality)
    i am feeling this pain because i touched a glass bottle and it cut my hand.

i think there would be sensation, but it would not lead to becoming, thus no suffering.
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited June 2012
    "When this was said, the Blessed One said to me, 'So it is, householder. So it is. The body is afflicted, weak, & encumbered. For who, looking after this body, would claim even a moment of true health, except through sheer foolishness? So you should train yourself: "Even though I may be afflicted in body, my mind will be unafflicted." That is how you should train yourself.' That's how I was sprinkled by the Blessed One with the deathless ambrosia of a Dhamma talk."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn22/sn22.001.than.html
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited June 2012
    He would experience suffering, because the body feels physical pain. His teaching of the Four Noble Truths conveys that this life is full of pain, suffering, grief, angst, agitation ect. , but this is the complete understanding of life, this speaks to the truth of our existence. Life is goodness, happiness and joy but that it also has its difficulties. The first of the Four Noble Truths does not seek to push away or deny what is in front of our eyes.
    But the Buddha would also understand that this cut is not self and is but a temporary arising.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    In my view he would feel pain -- he was human -- but be able to work though that pain.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    In the end, it's the only choice we have.
    Do it badly, or do it well.
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    The Buddha, and all liberated arahants, will feel pain, but not shout "ouch" or have any mental suffering at all. He will face it with complete equanimity.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn01/sn01.038.than.html

"I have heard that on one occasion the Blessed One was staying near Rajagaha at the Maddakucchi Deer Reserve. Now at that time his foot had been pierced by a stone sliver. Excruciating were the bodily feelings that developed within him — painful, fierce, sharp, wracking, repellent, disagreeable — but he endured them mindful, alert, & unperturbed. Having had his outer robe folded in four and laid out, he lay down on his right side in the lion's posture, with one foot placed on top of the other, mindful & alert.

Then 700 devatas from the Satullapa retinue, in the far extreme of the night, their extreme radiance lighting up the entirety of Maddakucchi, went to the Blessed One. On arrival, having bowed down to him, they stood to one side.

As she was standing there, one of the devatas exclaimed in the Blessed One's presence: "What a naga is Gotama the contemplative! And like a naga, when bodily feelings have arisen — painful, fierce, sharp, wracking, repellent, disagreeable — he endures them mindful, alert, & unperturbed!"

Then another devata exclaimed in the Blessed One's presence: "What a lion is Gotama the contemplative! And like a lion, when bodily feelings have arisen — painful, fierce, sharp, wracking, repellent, disagreeable — he endures them mindful, alert, & unperturbed!""

Etc etc
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    I'm sure he would feel the physical pain but not be harmed mentally as well but I also think he would be quick to tend to the wound. It is a part of himself that needs healing... Kind of just like us.
    edited June 2012
    According to Mahayana view, his physical body was just a manifestation body. So even if he felt pain and shouted Ouch!, he wouldn't have REALLY felt pain and shouted Ouch!

Or maybe both :eek2:
  • GuiGui Veteran
    edited June 2012
    His body would feel pain. His mind would not pick it up.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Here is the sutta which explains this:
    Now, the well-instructed disciple of the noble ones, when touched with a feeling of pain, does not sorrow, grieve, or lament, does not beat his breast or become distraught. So he feels one pain: physical, but not mental..... http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn36/sn36.006.than.html
    So for a Buddha physical pain is not dukkha, but for an ordinary person it is?
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited June 2012
    Does physical pain have to be dukkha for the Buddha or anyone else? It would seem to me that at issue here is the idea that physical pain must result in suffering. No one, not even the Buddha, fails to experience physical pain. Is this pain the cause of suffering or is it when one forgets annata and annica and mentally collapses around this pain, identifies with it and becomes it? I would suggest the latter. Even the best things in one's life can be a source of suffering when one clings to it as I or mine.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    yes, but the definition of a sentient being is one who can feel pain and associate that with the state of suffering.

This is something I posted in another thread....
    I have always regarded a sentient being as one that can feel, and process the experience of pain, on an emotional level, because suffering is relative to emotion.
    we classify suffering pain, as something that has the potential to make us suffer emotionally as well. Hence the 'twin arrows' teaching.
    Research has been carried out extensively, to ascertain whether insects have an ability to process pain on an emotional level and it would appear that this is not the case, as insects have been observed, having been subjected to an injury, carrying on as normal.

Besides, while an insect has to endure a prolonged existence when caught by a predator, We as humans tend to inflict a swift, sudden and very abrupt end, therefore, the 'brain' of an insect does not even have sufficient time to understand it is being swatted.
    Insects have brains, but they only control certain physical functions - they do not process thought patterns, as ours do.
  • No. He was no one. He didn't die. He didn't suffer. He wasn't sick. He wasn't poisoned. He wasn't human He didn't live. He just was. If he cut himself on the foot he would laugh.
    Actually, I think you'll find he did die, he may have been poisoned, he was human he did live and he just was.
    Let's not be too fey about it.....
    No god or superman, just awake.
  • No. He was no one. He didn't die. He didn't suffer. He wasn't sick. He wasn't poisoned. He wasn't human He didn't live. He just was. If he cut himself on the foot he would laugh.
    What?

I'm quite sure it would hurt, like everyone else has said.
    No one, not even the Buddha, fails to experience physical pain. Is this pain the cause of suffering or is it when one forgets annata and annica and mentally collapses around this pain, identifies with it and becomes it? I would suggest the latter.
    That's how I understand it. Enlightenment is synonymous with the cessation of dukkha, so a Buddha doesn't experience dukkha. So logically physical pain cannot be dukkha for a Buddha.
    yes, but the definition of a sentient being is one who can feel pain and associate that with the state of suffering.
    Interesting, but where does this definition come from?
    A dictonary, I guess....? :scratch:

I just happen to agree with it....nobody else has to.....
  • edited June 2012
    That's what you get when using words such as 'the'- it's so... definitive. One, OTOH, is more indicative and perhaps rightfully subjective, since we're not talking about machines here but feeling, thinking entities.

It still gets you to the destination but you might have to travel through a farmers field and a duck pond on your way there.
  • "I have heard that on one occasion the Blessed One was staying in a Travelodge near Detroit. Now at that time he drank from a Mcdonalds coffee without checking if it was still hot. You know, one of those plastic ones with the lid and a little slot so you can't see if it's steaming. Excruciating were the bodily feelings that developed within him — painful, fierce, sharp, wracking, repellent, disagreeable — but he endured them mindful, alert, & unperturbed. Having had his outer robe folded in four and laid out, he lay down on his right side in the lion's posture, with one foot placed on top of the other, mindful & alert, blew on his tongue and screamed 'ow, that was bloody hot, ow, ow, Ananda, get me some water! Ow.'
    Takeaway Sutta

You can test this kind of thing for yourself - think of a food you don't like but that others like. Clearly the unpleasantness is to do with your reaction to the food, not the food itself.

The suttas clearly state that even in unpleasant feeling, the noble one sees an escape from the suffering therein.
    "As he is touched by that painful feeling, he is not resistant. No resistance-obsession with regard to that painful feeling obsesses him. Touched by that painful feeling, he does not delight in sensual pleasure. Why is that? Because the well-instructed disciple of the noble ones discerns an escape from painful feeling aside from sensual pleasure.
    :lol:
    Who says the teachings are not timeless?
  • I think he'd say, "dhammit".
  • PrairieGhostPrairieGhost Veteran
    edited June 2012
    Hahahaha you made me genuinely laugh out loud.

Just to add, I recommend studying the sutta posted above. The Buddha explains that most people sense feelings 'as though joined' with them, blind spots if you will, so they don't see the cause of stress, and in this case they try to blot out unpleasant feeling with pleasant feeling. Mindfulness detaches us from feelings so that we have the space to gain insight into them. In understanding this we can refute a common criticism of Buddhism, that it leads to detachment and coldness, as we see that detachment is only a tool for gaining insight, not a goal.

• I think he'd say, "dhammit".
    Haha! That's actually very funny.