Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Desiring good things?

BodhivakaBodhivaka Veteran
edited June 2012 in Buddhism Basics
Should we desire good things like love, peace, and happiness, both for ourselves and others?

Although Buddhism teaches that it is desire which leads to suffering, are there any good desires, such as the desire to obtain Nibbana?

For example, during metta bhavana when it is said "may I be well," are we not desiring that we be well?

Comments

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    Its fine to desire good things.

Just do the work with right view and right effort to achieve those things.

Don't just leave things in the realm of desires.

Actualize your desires. The desire for nirvana is the greatest desire because it is the only desire that self liberates upon achieving the desire.

But this is presupposing you are follow the basic teachings of Buddhism. Different sects in Buddhism use desire and effort in different expressions.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited June 2012
    Should we desire good things like love, peace, and happiness, both for ourselves and others?

Although Buddhism teaches that it is desire which leads to suffering, are there any good desires, such as the desire to obtain Nibbana?

For example, during metta bhavana when it is said "may I be well," are we not desiring that we be well?
    Certainly. Unlike craving (tahna, literally 'thirst'), which is an aspect of our psychology that's directly tied to suffering, desire (chandha) is a neutral term and can be either skillful (kusala) or unskillful (akusala) depending on the context. The desire for happiness, especially long-term welfare and happiness, for example, is actually an important part of the Buddhist path. Moreover, desire is listed as one of the four bases of power (iddhipada), which themselves are included in the seven sets of qualities that lead to the end of suffering (MN 103). The four qualities listed in the bases of power are desire, persistence, intent, and discrimination. In Wings to Awakening, Thanissaro Bhikkhu points to this passage:
    There is the case where a monk develops the base of power endowed with concentration founded on desire & the fabrications of exertion, thinking, 'This desire of mine will be neither overly sluggish nor overly active, neither inwardly restricted nor outwardly scattered.' (Similarly with concentration founded on persistence, intent, and discrimination.)
    He goes on to explain that, "This passage shows that the problem lies not in the desire, effort, intent or discrimination, but in the fact that these qualities can be unskillfully applied or improperly tuned to their task." If we take a look at the exchange between Ananda and the brahmin Unnabha in SN 51.15, for example, we can see that the attainment of the goal is indeed achieved through desire, even though paradoxically, the goal is said to be the abandoning of desire. That's because at the end of the path desire, as well as the other three bases of power, subside on their own. As Ananda explains at the end of SN 51.15:
    He earlier had the desire for the attainment of arahantship, and when he attained arahantship, the corresponding desire subsided. He earlier had aroused energy for the attainment of arahantship, and when he attained arahantship, the corresponding energy subsided. He earlier had made up his mind to attain arahantship, and when he attained arahantship, the corresponding resolution subsided. He earlier had made an investigation for the attainment of arahantship, and when he attained arahantship, the corresponding investigation subsided. (Bodhi)
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    That was so well done, Jason. Thanks again man!
  • Thanks, everyone! This is a question which I often see brought up by critics of Buddhist philosophy. I imagined that there would be some kind of rationalization to harmonize this seeming contradiction, but I never suspected the question and its answer to actually be contained within Buddhist scripture.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    There are very few things that aren't....in context to time...
  • I believe what causes our suffering is 'desiring what is NOT..'

Wanting things that we cannot have will cause desire..

Simple as that really.

If you REALLY want to be with someone but they don't, then if you keep on 'wanting' that person then you are going to suffer.
    We need to accept what is and embrace all and move on..

"Accept the things you cannot change,
    Have the courage to change the things you can,
    But have the wisdom to know the difference.."

So its not that 'all desire' causes suffering.
    Its just the desire to have things which you can't have..

If I desire chocolate, then I have a choice to go down my local shop and buy chocolate.
    If I buy it, GREAT
    But if its sold out then I have to accept this and move on.
    If I still desire chocolate from that speciif shop then I'm obviously going to suffer...

X
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran

Everyone has a wish to be happy, Dharma is a method to fulfill this wish by letting go of deluded minds that create the causes of suffering. The Distinction should be that desire for Samsaric pleasures leads to suffering where as the desire to help others, Become liberated or enlightened will lead to happiness because these are a correct motivation and engaging in actions conducive to these desires leads to happiness.