Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Killing Insects/bugs?

LostLightLostLight Veteran
edited June 2012 in Buddhism Basics
This is one of the few parts of Buddhism that is still very debatable to me. I've hated bugs since before I can remember, I always felt that they were like little robots which could not think or feel, whose only goal was population control of sentient beings (ex mosquitoes killing people). I wouldn't go out of my way to kill them, but if they got in my house I would immediately dispose of them without even thinking. After becoming a Buddhist, I stopped hating bugs (I had to haha). I stopped killing completely and no matter what I would try to relocate bugs that got in the way inside my house (Sometimes they'd die along the way and I would feel bad). I dislike bugs because of what they are, but I don't hold grudges on them like before. I figured that it was bad killing the bugs not because of their death, but because when I killed them it was either out of anger or fear. I still don't count bugs very highly, and I honestly put them in the same category as plants even if I won't kill them. While it's not something known for sure, what do you all think about bugs and the value of their lives?

Are certain animals ranked differently according to their karmic penalty or is it provisional?

Would it be worse to kill a cat than a cock roach etc?

If intent is a factor then would you recieve a lighter Karmic penalty for killing someone in self-defence or by accident?

Humans can be reborn as insects correct? If so, then aren't they stuck in that form forever? Bugs can't think, and therefore can't build up ANY karma whatsoever. They'd never be able to progress or regress, and would be stuck like that for all eternity.

I know this is a lot of questioning, but answering as many would be greatly appreciated. I'd love to broaden my perspective.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    killing anything brings kammic consequences.
    I really don't think talking about different degrees is either necessary or relevant.
    It's the intention, not the reason.
    Try to avoid it.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    I always felt that they were like little robots which could not think or feel, whose only goal was population control of sentient beings (ex mosquitoes killing people).

I still don't count bugs very highly, and I honestly put them in the same category as plants even if I won't kill them. While it's not something known for sure, what do you all think about bugs and the value of their lives?
    Bless them!! the feelings you have about them are your projections of what you consider their goal is based on an extrapolation from your own place in the universe as you see it - to have a chance of perceiving their goal (if there is one in that sense), one would need to understand the grand nature of all things - thus in seeking their goal, you seek your goal also (whether or not there is a grand nature).

I'm careful around bugs as I see that their decision making process is very different to mine and we have different priorities - I think their lives have as much value as any other form of existence / expression - what value each person attributes to anything else is subjective however.

Are certain animals ranked differently according to their karmic penalty or is it provisional? Would it be worse to kill a cat than a cock roach etc?
    Worse in the sense that you relate more to a cat as it closer resembles your condition
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I don't hate bugs, and I don't seek them out to kill them, but I run into problems in this area. We live in a very buggy part of the world, and they are biting bugs. Houseflies, fruit flies, we just do what we can to prevent them, and otherwise shoo them out the door. But these biting bugs, it's very hard to get past the reaction of slapping a bug that bites you and removes a chunk of your skin. Not to mention, the mosquitos and ticks spread disease, west nile vrius, Lyme's disease, encephalitis (someone I know currently is hospitalized with encephalitis due to a bug bite) and I don't know how to get around this. When I see bugs biting my children, I want to protect them from getting bitten and getting potentially ill from it. Generally I try to blow the bugs off, let them out the car window, etc. But once they do bite or when you are surrounded by clouds of them and there is no way to even swat them away without hurting or killing them, I don't know how to manage it.

Related to bugs, obviously animals in the wild eat other animals. But we have a pet that eats live animals too, and we buy animals to feed to this pet. There is no other way to keep this pet alive, yet I find myself feeling bad for purchasing other animals to feed this one.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

I'm careful around bugs as I see that their decision making process is very different to mine and we have different priorities - I think their lives have as much value as any other form of existence / expression - what value each person attributes to anything else is subjective however.

So if you were living in an apartment complex and a fire broke out, and you had only time to save a baby or a cockroach, you'd have to think about it?

• ZeroZero Veteran

So if you were living in an apartment complex and a fire broke out, and you had only time to save a baby or a cockroach, you'd have to think about it?
    I havent come across this scenario as yet - when I do, I'll let you know what I did (assuming I make it out of the apartment) :p

Theoretical discussions are good however thought experiments can stretch a point beyond recognition - just as an explanation of sub-atomic physics relates poorly to big physics but it does not mean that either are invalid.

I'll bite your scenario - probably the baby as it is helpless and the cockroach can look after himself - I will smash a window to give little cockroach a chance - likely though he'll be safer than me or the baby... I guess there my approach is determined by need rather than comparative value.
  • After thinking a lot about this problem for quite a while, I have been forced to the conclusion that one has to be practical. I mean, the Jains wear masks so that they don't breathe in any insects, and thereby kill them. Other sects (the Pharisees of old times) used to strain out gnats etc., from their drinks. If one takes all this to heart too much, one would be feeling bad about even walking down the street, and killing numerous insects that are not seen. And what about dust-mites, when the vac is used? There is also the problem of household pests like ants. Try as I might, it was impossible for me to accept their swarming all over the bathroom in scores (and possibly ruining the rafters as they bored a living-chamber into them). In the end, they had to go, and the only effective means was to poison them. The thought of the house being over-run by mice makes me shudder, for in that, there would be a real ethical problem. Yet, I think of the films I have seen that show mice and rats in millions, and all eating grain etc. out of barns. If one were, say, a peasant farmer in that situation, there would be no option but to exterminate them. From my comfortable position, living in a town as I do, I could not find it in me to condemn any farmer in that position. In a way, he would be doing what he does in order to help feed me.

At the time, I felt bad about the ants. However, what made me feel bad more than anything was the thought that in killing them, I was not being a good buddhist. So really, it was a self-image thing, which is about as egoistical as one can get. Certainly, no actual tears were shed over the ants' demise. I would do the same again if necessary (though I hope that it will not be, ever again). However, I am aware of one thing, and it is this: I took no pleasure whatsoever in killing those critters. To me, it seems next to impossible to really, really feel compassion for ants (though it is possible to deceive oneself into thinking that one does).

Looking at what seems to be my place in the world, I think I'll work at being kinder to those more like me (including animals, who, unlike ants, obviously show that they suffer in various ways). When I am satisfied that this project is taking reasonable shape, I will try to find ways to accommodate pests like ants. (Unfortunately, to reach this stage will take a long time, I am sure.)

Until then, I shall work on reducing any tendency not to care at all about ants, bugs etc. I will never deliberately kill them (in annoyance, for example), but will be careful not to even hurt them if this is possible. I shall not buy sticky fly-papers or wasp-sprays, because to do so will tend to make me even more uncaring than I already am, and because really, flies and wasps are only a minor problem. I will allow for the fact that my wisdom, such as it is, is very imperfect, and that some dilemmas (such as whether to buy meat, killed maybe with cruelty, to feed my pets) may be insoluble for the time being. I shall look for ways of being humane in all the ways I can. And I shall keep on reminding myself that, as far as I can tell, I did not create the world with all its pain.

How did Buddhism come to a conclusion that anything alive is sentient? Is the survival instinct enough to say that being is looking for happiness and is sentient? I have no doubt that if a wing gets pulled off an insect, it feels pain. But does that make it a sentient being? I waver on this myself. With many animals it is possible to see their expression of emotion-their suffering, their happiness, their sadness. But just because a worm or a fly is not expressive, does that mean it's up to me to decide they aren't capable of happiness or of knowing how to avoid suffering? I don't know. I do know that last summer when we had an invasion of flies to the point they laid maggots and there were literally hundreds of flied in our garage, which is attached to our house, that I bug bombed them and they all dropped dead. I didn't feel elated or happy over having to make that decision, but it was the right decision to make.

For me, it's a personality thing and it's not so much a "Does this make me a bad Buddhist?" thing. When I was 7 years old, I rescued dozens of worms off the road after a rain shower. I was on my way to the school bus, and didn't want the worms to be run over, so I put them in my pocket. Needless to say, this did the worms no favors and they died in my pocket. As much as I dislike spiders, I do my best to pick them up and release them outside (where I hope they eat a lot of bugs!). I stopped traffic on the highway by my house to get out and move dozens of turtles off the road in the past couple weeks. But bugs that bite are the one thing I just cannot get around! Perhaps when I slap a bug and it dies after biting me, that is that bugs karma ;)
  • ZeroZero Veteran

Is the survival instinct enough to say that being is looking for happiness and is sentient?
    I have no doubt that if a wing gets pulled off an insect, it feels pain. But does that make it a sentient being?
    Sentience is an attribute that we prescribe to life - in recognising what we consider is a component of life like us.

If one considers the overall scheme of systems there is drive to greater entropy - if one can accept that we are not the pinnacle (or there is no pinnacle) then the suggestion from natural systems around us is that we are just one 'type' - hierarchy beyond grades / levels of complexity is subjective spin.

In considering an insect's condition, there may be value in considering that to another type, we may well be as insects.

I think I saw this on a documentary on Pete Tosh - maybe called RedX - there was a guy on there (think he was a rasta) who says "I cant eat fish as I cant take a life to save a life because fish love life like I do".

In that I took that the drive that perhaps to a human eye is non-sentient in an insect say is perhaps the same drive that drives me to experience what is 'love' to me and what is expressed in a medium that I consider is sentience.
  • edited June 2012
    I'll bite your scenario - probably the baby as it is helpless and the cockroach can look after himself - I will smash a window to give little cockroach a chance - likely though he'll be safer than me or the baby... I guess there my approach is determined by need rather than comparative value.
    Come on now. I don't think you're being real. If the cockroach was trapped in a glass bowl and couldn't escape from the fire - would you really have a dilemna in choosing whether to save the baby or the bug?
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    edited June 2012
    Come on now. I don't think you're being real. If the cockroach was trapped in a glass bowl and couldn't escape from the fire - would you really have a dilemna in choosing whether to save the baby or the bug?
    Youre correct - I'm not being real - it's not a real scenario!

It is weighted to create the dilemma - on one hand, it is impliedly accepted that the fire will have all the attributes of a real fire however on the other the choice presented is manipulated to create the thought experiment - my answer could well have been that I doubt i would notice a cockroach in the panic to evacuate - if the scenario is say that I pick up the baby and then notice a cage in the apartment that has a pet rat in it say then yes - I would likely do things in order of appearance (so if the cage is nearer, open that first then pick up baby) - if I can save the baby but could not save the rat, say there was an insurmountable barrier then what can I do? I suspect that if baby and rat are interchanged it would still be the same answer when faced with an insurmountable barrier.

I think that my drive would be need and opportunity rather than the comparable value of each life - I can't know until I am in that burning apartment...
    Okay Zero, I'll give you a real scenario...happened about 10 days ago to me.

I happened to notice there was a very young snake in my window well. Very curious to try to get into the house. I live in Colorado, and we have several species of rattlesnakes in this specific area. Baby rattlers' rattles are not always already formed or visible, and I'm not good at snake identification anyways.

Choice 1 -- crawl into the window well and try to capture it with my hands.
    Choice 2 -- kill it.
    Choice 3 -- call pest control, have them take a couple of days to get here, and then pay them over $300 to get rid of the snake.

Sorry, that snake is now a dead snake. I was sorry to have to do. If it were outside of my immediate property I wouldn't think of harming it. Rescued a baby rabbit in the window well just a few weeks ago.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2012
    Living means killing to continue living. How do we minimize that harm.
    What is compassion & love and how do we best manifest it in this moment?
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    @vinlyn - I live in UK - the thought of a rattlesnake on my window is something... woah!! I'd call pest control and ask them to take it away and give it a home far away from me.

I'll see your real scenario and raise you one of my own - years ago I travelled in Tunisia -we stayed in the desert one night - we were halfway through setting up camp when one of the guys with us noticed a horned viper and apparently there was a nest or a collection - the plan was to kill them there and then as it was too close to our camp and despite our vibrations, we were in their space so they may come in at night... the locals seemed very comfortable with this - I could not allow it - the only other alternative was for us to move camp but that would have meant us going to another set spot and it would take an extra 2 hours + effort (with clearing, driving and setting again plus we had to double back to pick the rest of the route the next day) - it was presented as a major b*llache which was almost inconceivable - in the end I paid them the same price as for the entire tour as a tip so they would leave the snakes alone and we moved - they thought I was mad but it was ok - the snakes lived to fight another day.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    This is a good little blurb about this I found. :) From page 30 of here: http://what-buddha-said.net/library/Wheels/wh308.pdf

(1) Abstaining from the taking of life (pāṇātipātā veramaṇī)

Herein someone avoids the taking of life and abstains from it. Without stick or sword,
    conscientious, full of sympathy, he is desirous of the welfare of all sentient beings.28

“Abstaining from taking life” has a wider application than simply refraining from killing other
    human beings. The precept enjoins abstaining from killing any sentient being. A “sentient being”
    (pāṇī, satta) is a living being endowed with mind or consciousness; for practical purposes,
    this means human beings, animals, and insects. Plants are not considered to be sentient beings;
    though they exhibit some degree of sensitivity, they lack full-fledged consciousness, the defining
    attribute of a sentient being.

The “taking of life” that is to be avoided is intentional killing, the deliberate destruction of
    life of a being endowed with consciousness. The principle is grounded in the consideration that
    all beings love life and fear death, that all seek happiness and are averse to pain. The essential
    determinant of transgression is the volition to kill, issuing in an action that deprives
    a being of life. Suicide is also generally regarded as a violation, but not accidental killing as
    the intention to destroy life is absent. The abstinence may be taken to apply to two kinds of
    action, the primary and the secondary. The primary is the actual destruction of life; the
    secondary is deliberately harming or torturing another being without killing it.

While the Buddha's statement on non-injury is quite simple and straightforward, later
    commentaries give a detailed analysis of the principle. A treatise from Thailand, written by an
    erudite Thai patriarch, collates a mass of earlier material into an especially thorough treatment,
    which we shall briefly summarize here.29 The treatise points out that the taking of life may have
    varying degrees of moral weight entailing different consequences. The three primary variables
    governing moral weight are the object, the motive, and the effort. With regard to the object there
    is a difference in seriousness between killing a human being and killing an animal, the former
    being kammically heavier since man has a more highly developed moral sense and greater spiritual
    potential than animals. Among human beings, the degree of kammic weight depends on the qualities
    of the person killed and his relation to the killer; thus killing a person of superior spiritual
    qualities or a personal benefactor, such as a parent or a teacher, is an especially grave act.

The motive for killing also influences moral weight. Acts of killing can be driven by greed,
    hatred, or delusion. Of the three, killing motivated by hatred is the most serious, and the weight
    increases to the degree that the killing is premeditated.
    The force of effort involved also contributes, the unwholesome kamma being proportional to the force and the
    strength of the defilements.

The positive counterpart to abstaining from taking life, as the Buddha indicates, is the
    development of kindness and compassion for other beings. The disciple not only avoids destroying
    life; he dwells with a heart full of sympathy, desiring the welfare of all beings. The commitment
    to non-injury and concern for the welfare of others represent the practical application of the
    second path factor, right intention, in the form of good will and
    harmlessness.

I happened to notice there was a very young snake in my window well. Very curious to try to get into the house. I live in Colorado, and we have several species of rattlesnakes in this specific area. Baby rattlers' rattles are not always already formed or visible, and I'm not good at snake identification anyways.

Choice 2 -- kill it.
    Choice 3 -- call pest control, have them take a couple of days to get here, and then pay them over $300 to get rid of the snake.

Sorry, that snake is now a dead snake. I was sorry to have to do. If it were outside of my immediate property I wouldn't think of harming it. Rescued a baby rabbit in the window well just a few weeks ago.
    Choice 4, get a snake capture handle thing, or borrow one from someone, or make one from some wood or something, capture it with that and let it go in the forest. You're leaving out viable options!
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Yup

Choice 2 -- kill it.

Choice 4, get a snake capture handle thing, or borrow one from someone, or make one from some wood or something, capture it with that and let it go in the forest. You're leaving out viable options!
    Come on Seeker, the snake was there and trying to find a way into the house then. By the time I would even figure out where to get such equipment, or make such equipment, who knows what could have happened.

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2012
    If this might happen again....
    Take a 5' stick and screw an eyelet into the end. Take a 7' piece of thin rope and tie one end to the eyelet. Pull an open loop of the rope through the eyelet & ta da.. a restraining tool anyone can use from a safe distance.
    Note.. Not recommended for bears or people with annoying posts.

One can also leave a thin escape board on an angle in a window well so it doesn't become an inadvertent animal trap.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    Do you have any idea how many insects there can be? If you live in a more lush area nearly every step you take can be killing dozens of them. It can only be helped so much.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Yes Zayl
    But just trying to minimize our destructiveness is still an excellent mindfulness & compasionate practise on its own.

For future consideration, you can get covers for window wells. They are just plastic dome types (though I am sure there are many options) to keep water, debris and animals out of the window wells. I would have had great concern with a potentially poisonous snake getting into my house either. Though I also think I'd try to do what I could to get better at identifying them if I was going to share an environment with them. It's up to us to learn how to live with the animals who space we invade, not up to them.

I live with nothing poisonous thank goodness, but bears, wolves, and coyotes. We have to do much to learn about the animals we share space with to make the best of a situation that is far more difficult for them than for us (us moving our houses into their habitats I mean). Sometimes the answer isn't always easy when the issue is already happening, but it's good to learn from it to take steps to prevent it in the future.
    Karasti, I have window well covers. But window well covers are not supposed to be air tight. In many places there is a requirement for there to be a space for the possible exchange of air.
  • Okay, I just have to ask if anyone has had or currently has bed bugs? It is a growing problem over the last few years in my area and we have them. I am treating the house with about anything I can reasonably do, I spent last weekend taking everything to the laundromat and washing and drying on hot, it was over $30 and a few hours of my life. We are spraying, covering mattresses with special covers, and making only a small dent. I could easily spend $200 on the covers for all the beds, and I am not sure what the exterminator would cost (they superheat the house to 120 degrees for a few hours and that gets all the bugs since they are tiny and in everything) I even got a large ziploc bag to put my cushion in while I am not sitting so that they will not have air, and then when I bring my cushion to meditation at least I am not spreading the tiny buggers.

My legs are constantly covered in itchy spots that are almost scarred from scratching.

I will deal with karma, I am truly not trying to make light of a serious question but waking up most mornings with more bites is driving me bonkers.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

I have social worker friends who every day have to take their work clothes off at the front door and fire them into the washer & dryer. In my area (Vancouver) they won't allow the superheating of homes so it's ugly invasive pesticides and having to leave the house vacant for a few days.
    I actually stopped visiting a meditation group because they thought it was acceptable to tell me after a meditation period that they had a bad bedbug investation on the carpet we were sitting on
  • @how, wow, I am pretty up front with people (as embarrassing as it is). I was going to have a BBQ but changed my mind so I would not send them home with people. Right now since it is summer I am taking all the extra blankets and sealing them in plastic bags and then taking them to the storage unit (everything is sealed up there too, don't want to start an outbreak in storage).

Hey I will say that it is helping me declutter even one more level! I want nothing extra and fabric lying around.

Choice 2 -- kill it.

Come on Seeker, the snake was there and trying to find a way into the house then. By the time I would even figure out where to get such equipment, or make such equipment, who knows what could have happened.

I'm just saying what I would have done. You left out the option that I would have chosen!

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Insects are sentient beings as well Beings reborn in the Animal realm. It would be as wrong to kill one knowingly as it is to kill a Human, Performed out of anger its result will be a rebirth in the hell realms.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

I actually stopped visiting a meditation group because they thought it was acceptable to tell me after a meditation period that they had a bad bedbug investation on the carpet we were sitting on
    Didn't you offer a donation so they could buy a new carpet? ;)
    Living means killing to continue living. How do we minimize that harm.
    What is compassion & love and how do we best manifest it in this moment?
    Absolutely. There are always choices to be made.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

Didn't you offer a donation so they could buy a new carpet? ;)
    It wasn't just the carpet, but the buildings contents.

The reality was worse. They iniatially just said that next weeks meditation would be closed. I aked why? They said they were going to have some cleaning work done.
    A weeks notice to get some cleaning done seemed odd and so It was only after I pressed the questioning further did they sheepishly admit to the infestation.

The sheer inconsiderateness of the situation still surprises me today but what really haunts me was my response, which was just to leave, instead of standing up and pointing out a serious mistake in a teaching.
  • jlljll Veteran
    if i can tell me why an ant's life should be worth more than
    dog's life , then can i go ahead and kill the dogs?

we kill very sick dogs but we dont kill very sick people. why?
    This is one of the few parts of Buddhism that is still very debatable to me. I've hated bugs since before I can remember, I always felt that they were like little robots which could not think or feel, whose only goal was population control of sentient beings (ex mosquitoes killing people). I wouldn't go out of my way to kill them, but if they got in my house I would immediately dispose of them without even thinking. After becoming a Buddhist, I stopped hating bugs (I had to haha). I stopped killing completely and no matter what I would try to relocate bugs that got in the way inside my house (Sometimes they'd die along the way and I would feel bad). I dislike bugs because of what they are, but I don't hold grudges on them like before. I figured that it was bad killing the bugs not because of their death, but because when I killed them it was either out of anger or fear. I still don't count bugs very highly, and I honestly put them in the same category as plants even if I won't kill them. While it's not something known for sure, what do you all think about bugs and the value of their lives?

Are certain animals ranked differently according to their karmic penalty or is it provisional?

Would it be worse to kill a cat than a cock roach etc?

If intent is a factor then would you recieve a lighter Karmic penalty for killing someone in self-defence or by accident?

Humans can be reborn as insects correct? If so, then aren't they stuck in that form forever? Bugs can't think, and therefore can't build up ANY karma whatsoever. They'd never be able to progress or regress, and would be stuck like that for all eternity.

I know this is a lot of questioning, but answering as many would be greatly appreciated. I'd love to broaden my perspective.
    We allow the killing of animals via euthanasia, via hunting/fishing due in large part to the Christian foundations that the US runs on. The idea people have souls and animals do not, that human lives are more valuable than humans, that animals were put here to entertain us and keep us company, not as equals. Society as a whole has little reverence for any life other than one's own. Animals are viewed as something to be conquered, controlled. The view of that is changing, somewhat, but along with it is coming an unhealthy attachment to ones pets.
  • I had my dog put to sleep, and I am comfortable with that decision. I also believe we should be able to make that choice at end of life. My dog was not able to tell me what she wanted so I had to use all the ways she communicated with me. She was unable to walk the last day and stopped eating 3 days before that.

I am a decision maker for my parents if they are in a life support choice where they cannot communicate. I cannot be 100% sure that i will make the right decision but we have talked about their wishes. I think the intention of following their wishes, along with not fearing death (my mom has worked in elder services for decades, she is well aware of the process), will be the best way to have clear intentions.
    We allow the killing of animals via euthanasia, via hunting/fishing due in large part to the Christian foundations that the US runs on. The idea people have souls and animals do not, that human lives are more valuable than humans, that animals were put here to entertain us and keep us company, not as equals. Society as a whole has little reverence for any life other than one's own. Animals are viewed as something to be conquered, controlled. The view of that is changing, somewhat, but along with it is coming an unhealthy attachment to ones pets.
    Whoa, whoa, whoa. So according to you, in the history of the world, only Americans have hunted??????????

• For what it's worth:
    "Recent figures indicate that there are more than 200 million insects for each human on the planet! A recent article in The New York Times claimed that the world holds 300 pounds of insects for every pound of humans."

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I am a decision maker for my parents if they are in a life support choice where they cannot communicate...
    That's always assuming you outlive them.... ;)

• Wow. This thread has really blown up since I created it. I'm thankful for all the thoughtful answers and questionings; they definitely helped back up my feelings. The one thing that I'm still curious about was my last question.
    Could someone help to validate or deny this idea? :)
    I personally feel you cannot regress, if you have used your life as a human fruitfully, but this is my opinion, I have no hard data or source to any reference to back that up.
  • I would agree with federaica, but don't have a reference. I really doubt you get reborn as an insect for killing one, I figure you pay out human karma in a human form
  • The way I look at it someone had bad karma before they died. Therefore they are an insect. Once they have made up for that they will be reborn in anothe place. I don't kill anything on purpose but if a wasp gets into my house. And since my 2 year old is allergic I have to kill it usually. But I bless it before I do. Same when um walking down the street I can see all the ants and other things so ill usually chant a blessing prayer while I'm walking too.
  • Also if a person does not get reborn into an insect than maybe it's a person that has not yet been.
  • If a person would ever become an insect I would think that it would be a sort of punishment. And since most insects have short lifespans they wouldn't be stuck there forever. Just a few lifespans maybe. Not entirely sure
  • I agree with the above comments. But say a horrible person gets reborn as an insect, are they stuck as an insect, or will they somehow get another chance? Just because insects can't make decisions, so they can't build up good kamma.
    I agree with the above comments. But say a horrible person gets reborn as an insect, are they stuck as an insect, or will they somehow get another chance? Just because insects can't make decisions, so they can't build up good kamma.
    This little explanation is how I understand it. :)
    When the karma that led to rebirth is exhausted, or the fruition of previous wholesome karma fortuitously intervenes, it is possible to be reborn out of this realm. However, if the habits acquired in this birth are strong, one may again be plunged into an animal rebirth following a temporary release.

The Buddha pointed out that the Downfall (rebirth in unfortunate destinations, noting that the human realm is the lowest fortunate destination) is very difficult to endure. It is hard to find something to compare it with. For so immense is the woe and misery experienced here, particularly because of the unlikelihood of finding any escape for a very long time. It is rare and unlikely to find any opportunity to perform wholesome karma while there. And one must therefore depend on the good karma performed elsewhere, particularly in this present human life, which many people waste.
    If you knew you could get reborn as an insect, woulkd you treat insects more kindly?
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited June 2012

Could someone help to validate or deny this idea? :)
    Yes, I can provide a comment. You are right that bugs cannot think, not in the way Buddhism claims is necessary to generate karma. Bugs cannot perform conscious moral decisions nor feel emotions like we do.

But the early Buddhists didn't know that. This was before scientists had ever studied the brain and how determined complexity is what provides the higher mental functions. To the early Buddhists, if it moved around and reacted, then it must be conscious or "sentient". They had an entirely different understanding of the world than we do. In their world, it made sense that insects could be little human-like minds at work, constrained by the limits of the insect body of course.

Today we know different. Today we know it takes a certain complexity in the brain itself for consciousness and self-awareness and such higher order thought processes to exist. So the definition provided in the sutras about what is a "sentient being" needs to be adjusted to current knowledge.

Or, you can just wave your hands and claim it's some sort of magic at work, and somehow a human mind exists inside an ant.
  • If you knew you could get reborn as an insect, woulkd you treat insects more kindly?
    I don't have any malice towards insects, i don't sit around and hate them. they are doing their part of the overall eco-system. However for the modern US I deal with them a lot more than some since where I work and where I live do not have cool air or screens. I am not willing to donate more blood to the cause, and we have had west nile in colorado this year, so that is all.
    I would just assume if I was reborn an insect and swatted for causing suffering to someone else, that was the path I was meant to be on, I guess. We have the same concerns as AMH. I don't hate them either, I don't walk around looking for them to kill. As often as possible I shoo them out the door of the house or the car. We do do our best to prevent getting bitten, but I'm not going to risk the health of the family to let literally hundreds of bugs suck blood out of me. My teacher said once that one of his masters used to meditate on a mountain and he would sit naked and let the bugs feast on him. But he agreed that in that time, West Nile, Lymes, etc. weren't a concern and that he didn't believe his master would do the same today and neither would he. One of my kids was outside yesterday playing and today he has easily 50-60 bugbites. Not swatting at them as they buzz in your eyes, your mouth, your nose is just impossible I think. At least for me it is!

That said, while I certainly don't believe a mosquito has the same type of brain as I do, more and more science is showing that beings have things that we didn't know they had, because we just didn't understand them. Plants communicate as communities and can even "help" each other and respond when neighboring plants are cut. There was just an article somewhere yesterday about how animals are much more aware (as in self-aware they exist compared to other individuals) than we previously thought. Enough so that some scientists are having moral dilemmas over studying them. Those animals that are self-aware, do they accumulate karma? What about animals where their survival requires them to kill other animals? Apes, elephants, dolphins, all show much evidence of being self-aware and even aware that their peers are able to think and be aware as well.
    edited June 2012

Or, you can just wave your hands and claim it's some sort of magic at work, and somehow a human mind exists inside an ant.
    The Sutras never claimed insects had a human mind to begin with...Even modern day scientists agree insects are sentient, even more so then they did before.

"Insects may have tiny brains, but they can perform some seriously impressive feats of mental gymnastics. According to a growing number of studies, some insects can count, categorize objects, even recognize human faces -- all with brains the size of pinheads...On a smaller scale, scientists are finally moving past the idea that locusts, ants, bees and other insects are simple machines that respond to events in predictable ways, said Sarah Farris, an evolutionary neurobiologist at West Virginia University in Morgantown. Study after study now shows that insects can, in fact, change their behavior depending on the circumstances...."It's wonderful to see that insects are finally being compared equally with vertebrate animals," she added. "They have smaller brains, but they still have complex enough brains to do these things."
    http://news.discovery.com/animals/tiny-insect-brains-intelligence.html

We do need to start treating them differently. We need to stop treating them like automaton robots that have no mind.

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited June 2012
    You can't breath without killing something else!
    There is no clasification or justification to what is OK to harm.
    A Buddhist practise is just trying to minimize that harm.
    MaryAnne