Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Hindu meditation, Buddhist result?

betaboybetaboy Veteran
edited June 2012 in Buddhism Basics
Namaste,

Must we only practice Buddhist meditation (like vipasana, samata, metta etc.) or can Hindu meditation also lead to Buddhist goal? Let's say, in Hindu meditation, we chant names or focus on forms, that practice would still control the mind to an extent. Would that give the same result as the meditation taught by the buddha, namely watching the breath etc.?

BB

Comments

• PrairieGhostPrairieGhost Veteran
    edited June 2012
    Hi Betaboy

Breath meditation is also Hindu meditation.
  • betaboybetaboy Veteran
    Breath meditation is Hindu meditation.
    I meant watching the breath, as in vipasana. I am not sure that's hindu.
    edited June 2012
    It's called Pranayama. There are lots of techniques to begin with, but all the techniques are meant to develop focus and lead into watching the breath.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pranayama
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Meditation does not bring enlightenment without right view.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    I second this Hindu meditation does not have the same results as Buddhist meditation because Hindu meditation is Samsaric centric whereas Buddhist meditation is not. We share some similarities for example there are certain Hindu yogis recorded in Buddhist history who where able to train the mind to a very high level of concentration of the absorption's of the formless realms But could not progress any further, Buddhist concentration surpasses even this.
  • Buddhist concentration surpasses even this.
    Hi, caznamyaw.

Meditation is not concentration, and thus there is no scale upon which the concentrative powers of meditators can be measured.
    Buddhist concentration surpasses even this.
    Hi, caznamyaw.

Meditation is not concentration, and thus there is no scale upon which the concentrative powers of meditators can be measured.
    Meditation is a form of Concentration, If your being mindful you are concentrating on watching the mind, If you are meditating upon Metta you are concentrating upon developing and maintaining this mind...etc.

I take it you haven't heard of Tranquil abiding and the levels of concentration developed by single pointedly focusing the mind on a virtuous object ? There are 9 levels of mental abiding which one can measure their progress against. :)
  • Jeffrey:
    You are correct, but right view comes from the heart as well as the mind. Doctrine can only facilitate right view.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    @PrairieGhost,

Meditation is awareness, so you are right. But absorption into the realms (karmic, form, formless), is the concentration side without the insight of letting go.

Still it is an absolutely unbelievable accomplishment to escape samsara into the formless realm.

And still if you have no right view the awareness is obstructed by the tension of ignorance, and thus the obstructed mind is not able to overcome the realms.
  • caznamyaw
    I take it you haven't heard of Tranquil abiding and the levels of concentration developed by single pointedly focusing the mind on a virtuous object ? There are 9 levels of mental abiding which one can measure their progress against.
    There may seem to be concentration and skill developed in concentration. Jeffrey's answer is correct and I won't repeat it, but I will explain again that right view is, while essential, not bound to words or doctrine.
    caznamyaw
    I take it you haven't heard of Tranquil abiding and the levels of concentration developed by single pointedly focusing the mind on a virtuous object ? There are 9 levels of mental abiding which one can measure their progress against.
    There may seem to be concentration and skill developed in concentration. Jeffrey's answer is correct and I won't repeat it, but I will explain again that right view is, while essential, not bound to words or doctrine.
    :) It seems right view is very much bound to doctrine.
  • If so then zen must be heretical, and must not have enlightened any beings. But orthodox Theravada teachers use zen methods.
    A special transmission outside the scriptures;
    No dependence on words and letters;
    Direct pointing to the mind of man;
    Seeing into one's nature and attaining Buddhahood.
    Bodhidharma
    Sometimes traditionalists argue that these words are taken out of context, but they are quite clear and unambiguous.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Arguably right view is the purpose of meditation. Well, insight meditation anway.
    Must we only practice Buddhist meditation (like vipasana, samata, metta etc.) or can Hindu meditation also lead to Buddhist goal?
    How different is the Buddhist goal from the Hindu goal?
  • SattvaPaulSattvaPaul South Wales, UK Veteran
  • "How different is the Buddhist goal from the Hindu goal?"

The goal is the same. As Sri Ramakrishna said, and I'm paraphrasing, no matter which ladder leans against the house, they all lead to the same roof. Maybe this is why J. Krishnamurti didn't align himself with any religion or specific practice - he understood that to choose one was to deny others when all, at their root, are based in and lead to what Buddhists call enlightenment.

That is highly debatable. Since I don't know whether they lead to the same roof or not, I have to take it on faith. I'd like to believe that they do. Still, one has to choose one ladder, no?
  • Agreed. What I think is important is not to define one's own path in terms of its superiority to the paths of others. It may also make you feel silly later on.
  • "What I think is important is not to define one's own path in terms of its superiority to the paths of others"

Absolutely. The attitude of spiritual superiority (or any kind for that matter) only leads to further separation which gets us nowhere. Like a pair of shoes, we choose what fits best.

Whether Hindu or Buddhist or whatever, it appears fairly clear that the experience of enlightenment is the same regardless of the path to it. From Buddha to Jesus to Krishna to Nietzsche’s transcendent visions, the only difference I can see is the language but they’re all describing the same thing. After all, if enlightenment is not a universal experience, now we’re back to who’s right and who’s wrong which leads to more separation, division, etc… For me, Christianity doesn’t work because as it is now, 2000 years later, it’s based on belief and submission. Buddhism works better for me because it doesn’t care about belief – it shows me the direct link between attachment and suffering. And Buddhism leaves it up to me to see if it’s true. Half the time I don’t want the responsibility, I want God to do the work. Experience has shown, I’m not going to get off the hook so easily.

@scottc1969,

As I read about mysitcs from different traditions, my conclusion is the same as yours.
    But some would argue that it's only on the surface they speak about the same thing. For example, the insights of Advaita Vedanta may sound very similar to Buddhist, but some will say that Advaitins are reifying the "I am" experience and thus get stuck there, whereas Buddhism goes beyond that, etc.
  • There are differences between the two traditions but it probably boils down to Jain practices vs Buddhist. Still, we know that when Gautama was practicing austerities (Jain) he was basically engaged in the cultivation of the senses even to the point of their complete suppression. When he gave up this practice he did so by discovering a new method which transcended the senses; not depending on their cultivation or their suppression as a means. For those really interested in this subject I recommend getting Johannes Bronkhorst's great book, The Two Traditions: Meditation in Ancient India.
    @Songhill,

I think it's much more complex. We're talking Hindu practices of today, not those of 2500 years ago, besides Jain Dharma was considered heterodox too by Brahmins at that time, afaik.
    edited June 2012
    Hi SattvaPaul
    some will say that Advaitins are reifying the "I am" experience and thus get stuck there, whereas Buddhism goes beyond that, etc.
    To be perfectly honest, I have read that stuff and in terms of practice have no idea what 'the I am experience' is referring to when the advaita critics use it. Wheareas when advaitans use it, I think I do have an idea of what they're talking about.
    The core advaita insight is: consciousness is all there is, therefore I am That which I seek.
    This is exactly where insight practice leads - the insight is also a phenomena, there is nothing to gain insight into. And understanding of dependent origination - when I stop seeing myself in the process, and my ignorance stops creating the world with volition, the world doesn't stop. Because I was never part of the process all along.

Hi, Songhill

Yes, that sounds plausible. Sensory deprivation or bombardment has been used in many traditions, including the Christian tradition; it has probably worked for some (I believe Eckhart Tolle's realisation came at the apex of unbearable mental anguish). But like other techniques, it's not a paid for and stamped ticket to enlightenment. Nothing is; you don't choose the way, the way chooses you.

But people want to succeed so much, and who can blame us, that we tend to put too much faith in the techniques or doctrine. And so you end up with people like those I met at a festival, who say the Bhagavad Gita is magical and contains all the discoveries of science in it in some kind of code, though they don't seem interested in its moral teachings.

Every so often someone like Buddha or Jesus comes along, draws us from the letter of the law to its spirit, and renews the way.
    SattvaPaul
    some will say that Advaitins are reifying the "I am" experience and thus get stuck there, whereas Buddhism goes beyond that, etc.
    To be perfectly honest, I have read that stuff and in terms of practice have no idea what 'the I am experience' is referring to.

I'm not sure myself, there have been debates about it here in the past, which go way over my head. They often refer to this: http://awakeningtoreality.blogspot.co.uk/2007/03/thusnesss-six-stages-of-experience.html (though I haven't read through the stuff I must admit). As far as I can tell, it's about giving ultimate existence to consciousness/Self, whereas Buddhism asserts no-self/dependent origination. Whether it's a more advanced stage or a different angle on the same thing, I can't tell. Perhaps @taiyaki, if he's still here, might be available to comment.
    edited June 2012
    Sorry, my quote about advaita was from

http://sannyasnews.org/now/archives/990

It's all about mistaking techniques for explanations, and extrapolating endlessly from that until you end up with a religion. In my view, anyway.
  • Snip from SattvaPaul
    As far as I can tell, it's about giving ultimate existence to consciousness/Self, whereas Buddhism asserts no-self/dependent origination. Whether it's a more advanced stage or a different angle on the same thing, I can't tell. Perhaps @taiyaki, if he's still here, might be available to comment.
    The Mahayana Mahaparinirvana Sutra is all about the Atman, the fact that the Buddha-nature is the Atman. I would argue modern Vedanta rests, to a certain extent, on Mahayana Buddhism.
    Snip from SattvaPaul
    As far as I can tell, it's about giving ultimate existence to consciousness/Self, whereas Buddhism asserts no-self/dependent origination. Whether it's a more advanced stage or a different angle on the same thing, I can't tell. Perhaps @taiyaki, if he's still here, might be available to comment.
    The Mahayana Mahaparinirvana Sutra is all about the Atman, the fact that the Buddha-nature is the Atman. I would argue modern Vedanta rests, to a certain extent, on Mahayana Buddhism.
    This has an Interesting take because Buddha nature in Vajrayana is regarded as the potential for enlightenment because we all have a very subtle mind which is the basis of attaining enlightenment. Gross minds such as self are developed in dependence upon the delusion of Self grasping which the Buddha spends his time negating as an obstruction to Enlightenment. Alot of confusion arises about what some consider to be a Hindu variation on Buddhism however seen from a traditional point of view these are a series of teachings he gave where Sutra are a method of dealing with gross to subtle levels of delusion and Tantric teachings reveal how to Deal with very subtle levels of delusion and actually give clear indications on how enlightenment is actually attained where as Sutric teachings go into the subject but never really explain it in its full capacity. Some mistakenly believe there is actually no mind at all due to an incorrect understanding of Buddha's teachings of No self and thus develop mistaken views about various other teachings of Buddha.

No self doesn't mean no mind, It means that mind lacks an Inherently existent self and this delusion of grasping and projection of self prevents us from understanding the actual nature of the mind. The teaching of No Self is a way of removing delusions of grasping not a method for negating the mind in general as this renders Buddha's other teachings redundant.

Hindu's believe in a Inherently existent self that is eternal, Buddhists do not believe in a Inherently existent Self because gross and subtle minds are subject to dissolution and the very subtle mind is self-less but a mental continuum non the less.
  • caznamyaw

snip
    Hindu's believe in a Inherently existent self that is eternal, Buddhists do not believe in a Inherently existent Self because gross and subtle minds are subject to dissolution and the very subtle mind is self-less but a mental continuum non the less.
    Check out these two passages:

"The atman is the Tathagatagarbha. All beings possess a Buddha Nature: this is what the atman is. This atman, from the start, is always covered by innumerable passions (klesha): this is why beings are unable to see it." — Mahaparinirvana-sutra (Etienne Lamotte, The Teaching of Vimalakirti, Eng. trans. by Sara Boin, London: The Pali Text Society, 1976, Introduction, p. lxxvii.)

"Kasyapa, accordingly at the time one becomes a Tathagata, a Buddha, he is in nirvana, and is referred to as 'permanent', 'steadfast', 'calm', 'eternal' (sasvata)." — Mahabheriharaka Sutra

Reads like Hinduism. The fact is that Vedanta owes a lot to Mahayana Buddhism (cp. Gaudapada). Personally, I find Mahayana clearer than Vedanta. But that is my thing. I consider Hindus my spiritual brothers.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2012
    I think the advaita is similar to the cittimatra and shentong view of Buddhism, in oversimplification as emptiness of other/mind. All of the objects in mind including form are impossible to grasp. Even the dharma cannot be grasped. Nothing. Nothing can be grasped, not even the truth. Not even the Buddhanature or Buddha can be grasped.

Rangtong view such as dalai lama believe that the mind is a succession of moments. Whereas shentong believes it is like a line in which whatever point is chosen there are relations to other points, like a dream world appearing. But none of the points can be graspable and none of the conjured dreamworlds which ripen from the choice of a point can be grasped. Thus the notion of the line (mind) is based on ungraspable points and it is a mental designation to say they even connect. The metaphor of a line breaks down of course to scrutiny when we try to fit it to our grasp on to our set solid world, wheras the world as spacious and full of Buddha nature and possibilities.
    caznamyaw

snip
    Check out these two passages:

"The atman is the Tathagatagarbha. All beings possess a Buddha Nature: this is what the atman is. This atman, from the start, is always covered by innumerable passions (klesha): this is why beings are unable to see it." — Mahaparinirvana-sutra (Etienne Lamotte, The Teaching of Vimalakirti, Eng. trans. by Sara Boin, London: The Pali Text Society, 1976, Introduction, p. lxxvii.)

"Kasyapa, accordingly at the time one becomes a Tathagata, a Buddha, he is in nirvana, and is referred to as 'permanent', 'steadfast', 'calm', 'eternal' (sasvata)." — Mahabheriharaka Sutra

Reads like Hinduism. The fact is that Vedanta owes a lot to Mahayana Buddhism (cp. Gaudapada). Personally, I find Mahayana clearer than Vedanta. But that is my thing. I consider Hindus my spiritual brothers.

Mahayana is very clear indeed. :)
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    Late textual developments of Mahayana, like the Tathagatagarbha teachings, may (not always the case) sound like a full-formed eternalist teaching indistinguishable from Hinduism, such as certain edition of the mahaparinirvana sutra.

Every mahayana text or vajrayana tantra (all of which are composed by multiple unknown authors showing textual development over a range of time) explains itself to be the ultimate teaching while putting others as provisional. The parinirvana sutra will tell you that tathagata as self is a non-provisional ultimate teaching. Then the madhyamika and yogacara texts including lankavatara sutra will try to explain it away as provisional teachings. Anyway, ultimately what one accepts as true or provisional depends on one's own experience.

I still prefer to follow pali suttas which we know is the closest to the original words of Buddha (while not denying there are incredibly clear ones in mahayana canon as well as some texts by mahayana teachers which I very much enjoy reading) because it speaks most closely to what I see and experience. (Which is very much similar to my teacher Thusness seven stages of enlightenment: http://awakeningtoreality.blogspot.co.uk/2007/03/thusnesss-six-stages-of-experience.html )

Anuradha Sutta: "And so, Anuradha — when you can't pin down the Tathagata as a truth or reality even in the present life — is it proper for you to declare, 'Friends, the Tathagata — the supreme man, the superlative man, attainer of the superlative attainment — being described, is described otherwise than with these four positions: The Tathagata exists after death, does not exist after death, both does & does not exist after death, neither exists nor does not exist after death'?"
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    Namaste,

Must we only practice Buddhist meditation (like vipasana, samata, metta etc.) or can Hindu meditation also lead to Buddhist goal? Let's say, in Hindu meditation, we chant names or focus on forms, that practice would still control the mind to an extent. Would that give the same result as the meditation taught by the buddha, namely watching the breath etc.?

BB
    in my experience, no, hinduism meditation does not lead to buddhist result.

Chanting names or focus on form is merely a shamatha practice. According to hindu sage ramana maharshi, these are merely expedient devices but not sufficient for self-realization. When your concentration and calmness is there, you switch to self-inquiry. Through self-inquiry you attain Self-Realization by realizing that your atman is brahman - you are that ultimate reality which is pure awareness-consciousness-existence-bliss. This is then the goal of hinduism.

This however is not the same as Buddhist enlightenment which requires the buddhist form of insight practice or vipashyana which is peculiar to buddhism.
  • Namaste,

BB
    I'm quite sure it's all the same thing, and as mentioned before, leads to the same place. But, then again, I can't speak as if I know because I have never been enlightened.
    Chanting names or focus on form is merely a shamatha practice. This however is not the same as Buddhist enlightenment which requires the buddhist form of insight practice or vipashyana which is peculiar to buddhism.
    I'm not sure the distinction is as clear as you make it sound. Tranquillity is the basis for insight, not a separate practice.
    Shengtong schools,
    Namaste,

BB

Chanting names or focus on form is merely a shamatha practice. According to hindu sage ramana maharshi, these are merely expedient devices but not sufficient for self-realization. When your concentration and calmness is there, you switch to self-inquiry. Through self-inquiry you attain Self-Realization by realizing that your atman is brahman - you are that ultimate reality which is pure awareness-consciousness-existence-bliss. This is then the goal of hinduism.

This however is not the same as Buddhist enlightenment which requires the buddhist form of insight practice or vipashyana which is peculiar to buddhism.
    How do we distinguish it from "Buddhist" enlightenment then? And isn't self-enquiry a form of vipassana?
  • xabir
    Just a question... do you know what meditation is?
    And isn't self-enquiry a form of vipassana?
    It sounds like it is.
    It sounds like it is.
    So, are you implying that it sounds like it but it really isn't? Or am I misunderstanding?
    It sounds like it is.
    So, are you implying that it sounds like it but it really isn't? Or am I misunderstanding?
    I just mean I'm not sure - I don't know very much about how Hindus approach meditation.

:)
  • It might help to bear in mind that meditation might not be what you think it is, and thus we can more easily let it be what it is or is not.
  • Often western Buddhists get it sadly wrong when they confuse the notion of self or attâ with eternalism. The Buddha, for the record, never denies the self which in Pali is nattha attâ - that would be annihilationism which he abhorred. In a nutshell, eternalism is the belief that the five khandhas are eternal. From the Udanatthakhata:

“They declare material form to be the self and the world, stating such to be not only the self and the world but also eternal; they declare sensation ... perception ... the formations ... consciousness to be the self and the world, stating such to be not only the self and the world but also eternal” (trans. Masefiled).
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2012
    @Songhill, the shentong isn't saying the skhandas are real. Indeed the shkandas are a confused perception. The shentong is saying that there is nothing to GRASP. The rangtong-prasangika says that there are no VIEWS. Those two, views and nothing to grasp are very similar. I have no idea what the argumentation/polemics would be.

Is the universe a hollow space with a solid space around it? Or is it a solid space with a hollow space around it?

Nothing to grasp and nothing else is needed.
    edited June 2012
    Ground of being and no ground of being are not different in practice.

But if we emphasise ground, listeners tend to grasp for that. Extreme examples, some Christians, some Hindus, some Tibetan Buddhists.

If we emphasise no ground, listeners tend to become nihilistic. Extreme examples, some Theravadins, some Existentialists, some students of Zen.

So teachers have traditionally kept up a dialogue between the two notions. The refutations and counter refutations are not evidence of a basic error, they are an important part of the teaching. Note the broad field of traditions this post takes examples from - the teaching is the whole of samsara. That is what samsara is, a teaching.

Buddhism needs Hinduism just as Hinduism needs Buddhism. Or rather we need them both.
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    xabir
    Just a question... do you know what meditation is?
    Yes. Two kinds: shamatha and vipassana. In Hindu, there are other forms like self-inquiry.
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    edited June 2012

How do we distinguish it from "Buddhist" enlightenment then? And isn't self-enquiry a form of vipassana?
    Self-inquiry is not exactly what I call vipassana. Self-inquiry presumes a "Who?", a true self. Vipassana deconstructs all sense of subjectivity or self/Self.

Check this out it, this is in line with my experience: http://awakeningtoreality.blogspot.com/2007/03/thusnesss-six-stages-of-experience.html

edited June 2012
    xabir
    Yes. Two kinds: shamatha and vipassana. In Hindu, there are other forms like self-inquiry.
    Ok, sorry, it wasn't meant to imply ignorance. The question wasn't really about that.

Self-inquiry is not exactly what I call vipassana. Self-inquiry presumes a "Who?", a true self. Vipassana deconstructs all sense of subjectivity or self/Self.

Check this out it, this is in line with my experience: http://awakeningtoreality.blogspot.com/2007/03/thusnesss-six-stages-of-experience.html

Zen students can use a question like "Who am I" or "What is this?" as a form of inquiry to precisely deconstruct all sense of self. In this sense it is a form of vipassana.