Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Nature of Nirvana

SabreSabre Veteran
edited July 2012 in Philosophy
For many, nirvana (or pali: nibbana) is the aim of Buddhist practice. I first thought people generally agreed on what nirvana is. However, as I widened my view, there seemed to be quite a lot of ideas and opinions on this matter. It turns out that's not so surprising, considering the Buddha called it "hard to see, hard to realize, tranquil, refined, beyond the scope of conjecture, subtle, to-be-experienced by the wise".

This thread is here to discuss the nature of nirvana. Perhaps we can learn from eachother, maybe not to convince eachother, but at least to understand where we are coming from. So what's your idea on nirvana? How do you define/think/experience it? There were some interesting debates in other topics, so those can be continued here.

I'll probably share my words later, when I have more time. For now, here is some material that may be of interest. It's not all out of a particular point of view or tradition, so it may be contradicting and a nice start to the debate. Feel free to add more.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/ptf/dhamma/sacca/sacca3/nibbana.html

http://www.abhayagiri.org/main/article/2147/

With metta!
Sabre

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    Nirvana is what's referred to by the Third Noble Truth (Cessation of Suffering). That's what the practice is aimed toward. However there's no one who attains it, because it's realization of emptiness that leads to this cessation. The cessation of suffering, or absence of suffering, is then the "positive" aspect. It isn't the acquisition of happiness but the transcendence of both happiness and suffering (which are both Samsara).
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    In my opinion Nirvana is the state of Dharmakaya or the unborn awareness/presence. Such awareness has the essence of emptiness and the nature to manifest, which is its clarity.

Such state is also called the non dual state. It cannot be called a self or cannot be owned, nor is it produced. It is naturally self perfected and self liberating. If such state is realized then both self and phenomena are understood and beyond designation.

The metaphor is of the mirror and the display of the mirror. Appearance and emptiness are the same. This actualized in body/mind is nirvana and ignorance of this is samsara.
  • This is one of my 'tiny' problems with Buddhism..

Its not got a definite source, because no one actually knows what real nivanna or enlightenment actually is..

All the teachers, masters and even lay people have got different opinions on what it is.
    So how do we know exactly what we are practising for?

Some people think nivanna is some magical state
    Others think its an ordinary state
    others think it isnt even a real thing
    other think only Buddha achieved it
    others think only one buddha at a time can be on earth
    others think it takes many life times to achieve nivanna
    others think we can be achieve it in this life time

But , WHAT THE HELL IS IT? LOL

Who is right?

If we study with one particular teacher, we will start believing that nivanna is what he thinks nivanna is because he is our teacher etc etc..

But some one else could be studying with a teacher who thinks nivanna is something else.

Take Zen for example, Dogen says meditation is enlightenment itself (but buddha didnt say that!)

Zen buddhism is completely different to Theravada Buddhism, and they both have different theories on what enlightenment is..

So how do we know if one is right and the other isnt.. ?

• So how do we know if one is right and the other isnt.. ?
    That's the beauty of it. We each need to find our own path. We need to find what WE believe in, and not just blindly accept the teachings. With experience comes wisdom; a Buddhist decides what he believes in based on experience.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    Here's some of my rambling thoughts about nibbana if anyone's interested.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Here is something I'd like to share with you. More rambling about!

What is impermanent, is not worth clinging to. Something that one moment is, and another moment isn't, can not be relied on. What the Buddha was searching for, and what we are searching for is a certainty; something ultimate. So to realise nibbana, we need to stop clinging to things that aren't always there for us. Because if we cling, they will keep arising.

One often used expression in the suttas by those who have a realization, can be translated as "whatever arises passes away". So they realize, that whatever is, one day will cease. And hidden in that is the meaning of nibbana; nibbana is cessation of all things that are impermanent. In other words, it's the cessation of dukkha, of suffering. Now it is our job to find out exactly what is impermanent and what is permanent.

It might be quite shocking, but there isn't anything permanent. Delusion however, makes people think there are constant things. Things worth holding onto. The most fueling attachment is the view of a self. Somewhere in experience, one experiences a feeling of 'me', or 'mine'. The funny thing is, what this experience is, switches all the time. One thinks they 'are making the choices', but the next day we are the one to who things just happens.. 'the one who knows'. Or we 'are having the emotions', while other emotions we try to push away.. So self view escapes into different things.

That's why the Buddha brought up the scheme of the aggregates. Consciousnesses, feelings, perceptions, formations and form (body). Those are not solid things, but rather descriptions of all of human experience. He said, in every of these experiences there is not a self to be found. And so, non of these experiences is to be attached to. To realize this is enlightenment and what happens as a result is nibbana; first, the cessation of clinging and then the cessation of body and mind. Because body and mind can only go on if they are fuelled by clinging.

Notice that I refer to two different things with the same word of nibbana. That's possible because nibbana is not a place or a thing. Rather; it's a process of cessation. Litteraly nibbana is to extinguish, to go out.

So what's left after an enlightened one dies? I'd be tempted to say nothing, although people are going misunderstand this as annihilation. And it isn't really accutate either, because in a way the Buddha can still be seen here and now, because we still talk about him and follow his teachings.

This is how I've come to understand nibbana. I think it is a beautiful teaching.

For your reflection.

Metta to all!
    Sabre
  • Now it is our job to find out exactly what is impermanent and what is permanent
    I agree with this..
    It might be quite shocking, but there isn't anything permanent
    youve wrote 'there isnt ''anything'' permanent..

So maybe enlightenment isnt permanent aswell.
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    @Sabre Gratitude for that teaching.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    @Sabre, That pretty much sums it up for me too. It isn't either eternalism or nihilsim/annihilation because it's beyond the dualities of existence and non-existence. It's beyond those dualities because the non-dual "ultimate" contains both the mundane appearance of reality and the supramundane (empty/transient) nature of reality simultaneously. Things can exist in one sense while not existing in another... so nothing definite can be said about them.

One example of this is that a Buddha does not suffer, and yet recognizes suffering where it arises and works toward its alleviation.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    @Jason, Thanks for that, very well written and thought out!
  • I think Western views of nirvana generally stem from a kind of 'secular mysticism' which is a negative vision that is fixed on the idea of nothingness which our death will automatically present to us. Paradoxically, this view of nirvana is a nothing that is. By the way, there is no real soteriology here except where there is death—the nothing that is.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Perhaps it is prudent to simply accept the fact that the actual experience of Nibbana/Nirvana, is so profound, that it really is indescribable?
    "The Buddha insists that this level is indescribable, even in terms of existence or nonexistence, because words work only for things that have limits. All he really says about it — apart from images and metaphors — is that one can have foretastes of the experience in this lifetime, and that it's the ultimate happiness, something truly worth knowing." http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/nibbana.html
    Yet people continue to want accurate descriptions. Accurate descriptions of something that is indescribable? How is that even possible?! :)
  • Seeker242, Appreciating your remarks, I find it odd that some people almost demand an accurate description of nirvana while, on the other hand, could not care less if the definition of matter were circular and frankly idiotic (matter = mass, mass = matter). (In my dictionary of physics, mass is defined as the quantity of matter while matter is left undefined!)
  • Does it really matter what we think the nature of nirvana is? We're going to be wrong anyway.
  • Seeker242, Appreciating your remarks, I find it odd that some people almost demand an accurate description of nirvana while, on the other hand, could not care less if the definition of matter were circular and frankly idiotic (matter = mass, mass = matter). (In my dictionary of physics, mass is defined as the quantity of matter while matter is left undefined!)
    No, that makes perfect sense. Mass doesn't = matter, only when the matter hasn't been defined.

Think of it like finding a lump on your balls or something, the doctor will refer to it as a mass until it has been defined as a tumor or whatever they find out that it is.

It's just a way of languaging things so that they don't jump to conclusions.

• zenffzenff Veteran
    Thich Nhat Hanh in the video says “In Buddhism all views are wrong views.” And I would want to stop the video right there; at this point of realizing that I don’t know.

In Vipassana we can make mental notes of all sorts of physical and mental phenomena. They come and go. But the way I see it there will never be a mental note saying “Ha, this is it, this is Nibbana”. But at the same time Nibbana is there all the time.

Using a noun is misleading, we don’t “have” nirvana and we “are” not in place with that name.
    We should use verbs. We are doing it; we are practicing or manifesting “it”.
    Enlightenment is here and now. Nirvana is the act of liberation. It is moment to moment awakening.
    We can realize Zazen as an act of liberation but we can get up from our sitting mat as an act of liberation too. It has no beginning and no end.

Anyways, this is just “piling snow in a silver bowl” or adding wrong views to wrong views.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited July 2012

youve wrote 'there isnt ''anything'' permanent..

So maybe enlightenment isnt permanent aswell.
    It's not really a 'thing' in that sense.
    ... Yet people continue to want accurate descriptions. Accurate descriptions of something that is indescribable? How is that even possible?! :)
    Seeker242, Appreciating your remarks, I find it odd that some people almost demand an accurate description of nirvana ...,
    Does it really matter what we think the nature of nirvana is? We're going to be wrong anyway.
    It's not about being accurate. All words will be wrong.

I agree you can't really tell how a vacation destination is going to be like if you haven't been there. Still you can look at some of the pictures, talk about it a bit with people who have been there (or are planning to go there), visit the travel agency, etc. When you get there, it'll always be different from how you expected it to be, however, at least you can know beforehand it's going to be in France instead of Alaska, so you have some sense of where you're going.

Same with nibbana. A lot agree that we have to remove our attachments, anger & fear to realize it. If we didn't know that, we would probably end up somewhere totally different.
  • DaozenDaozen Veteran
    The view from my office is nice.
  • ... at least you can know beforehand it's going to be in France instead of Alaska, so you have some sense of where you're going.
    Good point

:thumbup:
  • RebeccaS:
    Think of it like finding a lump on your balls or something, the doctor will refer to it as a mass until it has been defined as a tumor or whatever they find out that it is.
    There is huge difference between a cancerous mass and mass used in physics. To use a line from Mark Twain, the difference is between the lightning bug and the lightning.
  • Bhikkhu Bodhi is correct is saying that nibbana/nirvana is not sheer nothingness (as in abhava). But this little Buddhist story also illustrates the impossibility of explaining nirvana to those who have yet to attain a glimpse of it by first entering the stream (sotapatti).

"To illustrate this error of regarding Nibbana as sheer nothingness, the Buddhists relate the story of the turtle and the fish. There was once a turtle who lived in a lake with a group of fish. One day the turtle went for a walk on dry land. He was away from the lake for a few weeks. When he returned he met some of the fish. The fish asked him, "Mister turtle, hello! How are you? We have not seen you for a few weeks. Where have you been? The turtle said, "I was up on the land, I have been spending some time on dry land." The fish were a little puzzled and they said, "Up on dry land? What are you talking about? What is this dry land? Is it wet?" The turtle said "No, it is not," "Is it cool and refreshing?" "No, it is not", "Does it have waves and ripples?" "No, it does not have waves and ripples." "Can you swim in it?" "No you can't" So the fish said, "it is not wet, it is not cool, there are no waves, you can’t swim in it. So this dry land of yours must be completely non-existent, just an imaginary thing, nothing real at all." The turtle said that "Well, may be so" and he left the fish and went for another walk on dry land." ~ Bhikkhu Bodhi
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Perhaps it is easier to describe the attributes of those who have attained nirvana.

A monk whose mind is liberated sides with no one and disputes with no one; he
    employs the speech currently used in the world without attaching to it.

An arahant with taints destroyed may say, ‘I speak this way, and they speak to me
    this way.’ Skilful, knowing the world’s parlance, he uses such terms as mere
    expressions.

Monks, I do not contend with the world; rather, it is the world that contends with
    me. A speaker of the Dhamma (dhamma-vādī) does not dispute with anyone in the
    world. Whatever the learned ones agree upon as not existing in the world, I too say that
    it does not exist. Whatever the learned ones agree upon as existing, I too say that it
    exists.

These are worldly terms, expressions, manners of speech and designations. The
    Tathāgata uses these, but does not attach to them.

Monks, with the remainderless fading away and cessation of ignorance, whichever
    conflicting, obstinate, and confounding views exist, such as: ‘What are mental
    formations? Who owns these mental formations? Mental formations are one thing, the
    owners of such formations are another thing; the life principle (jīva) and the body are
    the same; the life principle is one thing, the body is another’—all of these views are
    abandoned.

[A bhikkhu who has realized Dhamma] does not grieve over the past, and does not
    fantasize over the future; he is sustained by what is present, thus his complexion is
    bright. As for the ignorant, they fantasize over the future, and pine over the past; thus
    they are haggard, like a fresh reed that has been plucked and left in the sun.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Bhikkhu Bodhi is correct is saying that nibbana/nirvana is not sheer nothingness (as in abhava). But this little Buddhist story also illustrates the impossibility of explaining nirvana to those who have yet to attain a glimpse of it by first entering the stream (sotapatti).
    Indeed, it's really a cessation of suffering, there is no annihilation. And in the same paper, we can find the 2-fold meaning of nibbana that I talked about:
    Now the attainment of Nibbana comes in two stages, the two referred to as the two elements of Nibbana. One is the Nibbana element with the residue remaining.The other the Nibbana element without the residue remaining. The element of Nibbana with residue remaining is the state of Nibbana attained by the arahat (the liberated one) in this present life. Namely, the extinction of greed, hatred and ignorance and of all other defilements. The residue that remains in the arahant is the five aggregates that constitute his present life individuality, the psycho-physical organism produced from the past life. Upon attainment of Nibbana, his body and mind continue until the end of the life span.

The second stage of the attainment of Nibbana is called the Nibbana element without a residue remaining. This is the element of Nibbana attained by an arahant with his passing away, with the breakup of his body, what we conventionally call death.
    The passing away of an arahant is the final and complete passing out from conditioned existence. It does not lead to a new birth. In his own experience, the arahant sees only the cessation of a process, not the death of a self. The experience for him is without subjective significance, without reference to 'me’ or ‘mine'. At this stage the residue of the five aggregates comes to an end.

http://www.stefan.gr/buddhism/books/bhikkhu-bodhi/nibbana.pdf
  • Sabre: Our true nature is unconditioned and deathless but all that non-ariyan puthujjanas perceive and cling to is the conditioned which they strongly desire and believe in. But this conditioned world (sahâloka) is, in fact, the very lack of the unconditioned where persons are subject to transmigration. When the Arhat passes away this is the full return to the unconditioned and the deathless (amata) which he has been in samadhi with before his khandhas dissolved in death. Puthujjanas (those who have not won the stream), on the other hand, again interface with a conditioned system to experience suffering again.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    In the suttas nibbana is sometimes referred to as "unbinding" which seems to give the sense of complete liberation.
    Nirvana is the act of liberation. It is moment to moment awakening.
    Yes, maybe it's useful to think about Nirvana as a process rather than a state to be achieved.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited July 2012
    In the suttas nibbana is sometimes referred to as "unbinding" which seems to give the sense of complete liberation.
    I am not a pali/sanskrit expert, but I thought Unbinding was a translation of nibbana some tend to use, rather than a reference. Which is useful in its own rights, but I prefer to leave it untranslated.

I may be wrong here.
  • In The Udana Commentary (Udânatthakathaâ) (trans. Peter Masefield), there is a lot of exegesis on nibbana (Skt., nirvana) which is quite informative. It "is spoken of as a "base", is without foundation since it is not founded anywhere, on account of its immaterial nature and on account of the fact that is it without condition..." Nibbana is described as "without object" (anârammanam) and the "end of dukkha" for the reason that all suffering or dukkha is conditioned whereas nibbana is without condition. Obviously, one who sees the unconditioned/nibbana sees the end of suffering or dukkha.

In the same commentary nibbana is described as "hard to see (duddasam)" for various reasons, for example, "on account of its profundity of its own nature and on account of the fact that its own nature is one that is extremely abstruse and subtle."

The commentary goes on for pages. One interesting description of nibbana is "Deathless Great Nibbana." There is mentioned, too, the materialists (Lokâyata) who say "nibbana is mere talk" or "it does not exist in the highest sense."
    I am not a pali/sanskrit expert, but I thought Unbinding was a translation of nibbana some tend to use, rather than a reference. Which is useful in its own rights, but I prefer to leave it untranslated.
    You're right, I was pointing to "unbinding" as giving a good feel for what nibbana is.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    IMO if we view Nirvana (post-death) as being a state of experiential bliss, we're still stuck in self-view and eternalism. Experience (blissful or not) does not occur without consciousness, which is a conditioned phenomena that does not stand on its own (and is therefore not the unconditioned/Nirvana). Nirvana in life is one thing because the aggregates remain, but Pari-Nirvana is the final blowing-out of the candle flame. The candle flame is used as a metaphor because its lack does not constitute "something" but rather the cessation of suffering/rebirth. It is positive, but not double-positive... we still yearn for eternal blissful life, a heaven. This is still an act of the clinging mind that refuses to let go of life and consciousness.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    edited July 2012
    The Moths and the Flame

Moths gathered in a fluttering throng one night
    To learn the truth about the candle light,
    And they decided one of them should go
    To gather news of the elusive glow.
    One flew till in the distance he discerned
    A palace window where a candle burned --
    And went no nearer: back again he flew
    To tell the others what he thought he knew.
    The mentor of the moths dismissed his claim,
    Remarking: "He knows nothing of the flame."

A moth more eager than the one before
    Set out and passed beyond the palace door.
    He hovered in the aura of the fire,
    A trembling blur of timorous desire,
    Then headed back to say how far he'd been,
    And how much he had undergone and seen.
    The mentor said: "You do not bear the signs
    Of one who's fathomed how the candle shines."

Another moth flew out -- his dizzy flight
    Turned to an ardent wooing of the light;
    He dipped and soared, and in his frenzied trance
    Both self and fire were mingled by his dance --
    The flame engulfed his wing-tips, body, head,
    His being glowed a fierce translucent red;
    And when the mentor saw that sudden blaze,
    The moth's form lost within the glowing rays,
    He said: "He knows, he knows the truth we seek,
    That hidden truth of which we cannot speak."
    To go beyond all knowledge is to find
    That comprehension which eludes the mind,
    And you can never gain the longed-for goal
    Until you first outsoar both flesh and soul;
    But should one part remain, a single hair
    Will drag you back and plunge you in despair --
    No creature's self can be admitted here,
    Where all identity must disappear.
    Nirvana in life is one thing because the aggregates remain, but Pari-Nirvana is the final blowing-out of the candle flame. The candle flame is used as a metaphor because its lack does not constitute "something" but rather the cessation of suffering/rebirth.
    The metaphor of the candle flame blowing out makes it sound like Pari-nibbana is extinction, annihilation?
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Nirvana in life is one thing because the aggregates remain, but Pari-Nirvana is the final blowing-out of the candle flame. The candle flame is used as a metaphor because its lack does not constitute "something" but rather the cessation of suffering/rebirth.
    The metaphor of the candle flame blowing out makes it sound like Pari-nibbana is extinction, annihilation?
    It's not, because there is nothing to annihilate. There is only no-self. That's why this is called cessation and not annihilation or extinction.
    "And suppose someone were to ask you, Vaccha, 'This fire burning in front of you, dependent on what is it burning?' Thus asked, how would you reply?"

"...I would reply, 'This fire burning in front of me is burning dependent on grass & timber as its sustenance.'"

"If the fire burning in front of you were to go out, would you know that, 'This fire burning in front of me has gone out'?"

"...yes..."

"And suppose someone were to ask you, 'This fire that has gone out in front of you, in which direction from here has it gone? East? West? North? Or south?' Thus asked, how would you reply?"

"That doesn't apply, Master Gotama. Any fire burning dependent on a sustenance of grass and timber, being unnourished — from having consumed that sustenance and not being offered any other — is classified simply as 'out' (unbound)."

"Even so, Vaccha, any physical form by which one describing the Tathagata would describe him: That the Tathagata has abandoned, its root destroyed, made like a palmyra stump, deprived of the conditions of development, not destined for future arising. Freed from the classification of form, Vaccha, the Tathagata is deep, boundless, hard to fathom, like the sea. 'Reappears' doesn't apply. 'Does not reappear' doesn't apply. 'Both does & does not reappear' doesn't apply. 'Neither reappears nor does not reappear' doesn't apply.

"Any feeling... Any perception... Any mental fabrication...

"Any consciousness

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.072.than.html
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    @porpoise, Sabre said it. :) Nihilism/annihilation and eternalism don't apply because there's no self for it to apply to. The candle flame is also used as a metaphor for rebirth, with one candle flame giving rise to another (so it's not the same candle flame, not a "self", but there is a causal link). Nirvana is removing the causal link for future rebirth/suffering... it is only the cessation of suffering. The aggregates remain until death and the Buddhas function to alleviate the suffering of others (esp. passing their wisdom on), with Pari-Nirvana being dissolution of the aggregates and no further suffering (the end of one timeless chain of suffering, or Samsara).
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    @Sabre

I never understood the function of pari-nirvana. Are there any suttas that speak about it?
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran

I know this was posted but this is a longer version.
  • Nirvana is not extinction. It is the attainment of unconditionedness—a positive state. With regard to the wrong interpretation of nirvana as "blowing out" the particular passage in the Sutta-Nipata (235) "refers to the pulling out of the wick or lack of oil, not to a blowing out" (The Pali Text Society's Pali-English Dictionary, 363).
  • Of course the self attains nirvana—certainly not the five aggregates.
    “When consciousness is unestablished, not coming to growth, nongenerative, it is liberated (vimuttam). The self liberated (vimutt-attâ), it is immovable, the self immovable, it is content, whose self is content, is not agitated. Unagitated, the very self (paccattam) surely attains complete nibbana” (Samyutta-Nikaya, iii.53–54).
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    @Sabre

I never understood the function of pari-nirvana. Are there any suttas that speak about it?
    The sutta on the Buddha's death would come to mind naturally, which is the parinibbana sutta. But if you read the suttas, you see this coming up everywhere. In the 4 noble truths, suffering also includes birth, aging and death, but also the aggregates including consciousness, which arises and ceases all the time. Because all aggregates are like this, they are not the final thing.

Especially the teaching on dependent origination and its counterpart on cessation shows how nibbana is cessation of experiences, including especially the will and consciousness. It is those two that driven by delusion create new life and thus new suffering.

We also have this, I may have quoted this before in this thread when I talked about the twofold meaning of nibbana.

"Now what, bhikkhus, is the Nibbana-element with no residue left? Here a bhikkhu is an arahant... completely released through final knowledge. For him, here in this very life, all that is experienced, not being delighted in, will be extinguished. That, bhikkhus, is called the Nibbana-element with no residue left.

having no residue for the future,
    Is that wherein all modes of being utterly cease.
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/iti/iti.2.042-049x.irel.html
    This is also quite a famous quote, which is by an enlightened one who says he is about to be unbound, meaning fully unbound.

I don't delight in death,
    don't delight in living.
    I await my time
    like a worker his wage.
    I don't delight in death,
    don't delight in living.
    I await my time
    mindful, alert.

The Teacher has been served by me;
    the Awakened One's bidding,
    done;
    the heavy load, laid down;
    the guide to becoming, uprooted.
    And the goal for which I went forth
    from home life into homelessness
    I've reached:
    the end
    of all fetters.
    Attain completion through heedfulness:
    that is my message.
    So then, I'm about to be
    Unbound.
    I'm released
    everywhere.
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/thag/thag.14.01.than.html
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited July 2012
    Of course the self attains nirvana—certainly not the five aggregates.
    “When consciousness is unestablished, not coming to growth, nongenerative, it is liberated (vimuttam). The self liberated (vimutt-attâ), it is immovable, the self immovable, it is content, whose self is content, is not agitated. Unagitated, the very self (paccattam) surely attains complete nibbana” (Samyutta-Nikaya, iii.53–54).
    That may be quite a strange translation, considering the alternatives:
    If a monk abandons passion for the property of consciousness, then owing to the abandonment of passion, the support is cut off, and there is no landing of consciousness. Consciousness, thus not having landed, not increasing, not concocting, is released. Owing to its release, it is steady. Owing to its steadiness, it is contented. Owing to its contentment, it is not agitated. Not agitated, he (the monk) is totally unbound right within. He discerns that 'Birth is ended, the holy life fulfilled, the task done. There is nothing further for this world.'"
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn22/sn22.053.than.html
    If lust for the consciousness-mode, monks, is abandoned in a monk, by the abandonment the support is cut off and there is no establishment of consciousness.

"That unestablished consciousness, not growing and not concocting,is freed: due to its freedom, it is steady: by its steadiness, it is contented: owing to its contentment, he is not troubled. Being untroubled, of himself he is perfectly tranquilized, and he knows: "Exhausted is birth, lived is the holy life, done is the task, there is nothing beyond this for (a designation of) the conditions of this existence."
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/nanananda/wheel183.html#passage-17
    Here the buddha talks about not craving for consciousness, which will result in its support being cut off, meaning it won't grow into future rebirths. The support really is delusion, which we can see in dependent origination.

The steadiness talked about, is I think the nibbana of one still alive.

But this is a sutta that is easy to interpret in multiple ways (which has also been done). Therefore, it's better to not give it too much value and I think it's better to look at the whole picture.

Also, 'the self' is something the Buddha never supported. In the sutta on 62 types of wrong view, we find:

There are, bhikkhus, some recluses and brahmins who maintain a
    doctrine of percipient immortality and who on sixteen grounds proclaim
    the self to survive percipient after death.
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.01.0.bodh.html
    Which, to emphasize, is wrong view.

Metta!
    Sabre
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited July 2012

It is those two that driven by delusion create new life and thus new suffering.
    I should of course have said that it is the will (volition) that creates new life, and consciousness is the result of the will.

It's quite simple, if we cling to life, we're going to get it again and again. If we don't, there will finally be peace.
  • Sabre: My translation pretty much follows Bhikkhu Bodhi's translation who is more accurate than Thanissaro Bhikkhu. My main problem with Bodhi is that he translates paccattam (Skt., pratyâtma) with "he personally" which doesn't convey the deep first person quality of paccattam.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    @Songhill, Which Buddhist tradition is this you're describing? It'll be good to have that cleared up, because most Buddhist traditions reject that definition of Nirvana and affirmation of self (which are much more in line with the "oneness of Brahman" of Hinduism than with what the Buddha taught).
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    @Cloud

"One reason within it's philosophy descriptive of reality is...

We as Buddhists don't make real something eternal that stands on it's own, so we don't see the cosmos the same way as monism (one-ism) does. Which is why we don't consider a monist ideation of the liberated state as actually signifying "liberation." We see that a monist is still binding to a concept, a vast ego... an identity even if beyond concept or words, is still a limitation to the liberated experience of a Buddha. We see that even the liberated state is relative, though everlasting due to the everlasting realization of inter-dependent-co-emergence. We don't see any state of consciousness or realization as being one with a source of absolutely everything. We see the liberated consciousness as just the source of our own experience, even though we ourselves are also relative to everything else. The subtle difference is a difference to be considered, because it actually leads to an entirely different realization and thus cannot be equated with a monist (one-ist) view of the cosmos at all which we consider a bound view and not equal to the liberated view.

Also... there is the concept of the creative matrix in Buddhism and this matrix is without limit and is infinite. But it's not an eternal self standing infinite. It's an infinitude of mutually dependent finites... or "infinite finites" that persist eternally without beginning or end and without a source due to mutual, interpersonal causation you could say.

It's not that a Buddhist does not directly experience a unifying field of perception beyond being a perceiver that is perceiving... but, the Buddhist does not equate this even subconsciously, deep within the experiential platform of consciousness, with a source of all being. It's merely a non-substantial unity of interconnectivity, not a vast and infinite oneness that is the subject of all objects. That would not be considered liberation from the perspective of a Buddha. That would merely be a very subtle, but delusional identification with an experience that originates dependent upon seeing through phenomena, where the consciousness expands past perceived limitations. Even this consciousness that experiences this sense of connection with everything, beyond everything is also considered a phenomena and is empty of inherent, independent reality. Yet persists for as long as the realization persists, which for a Buddha is without beginning nor end.

This subtle difference is an important difference that makes Buddhism transcendent of monism, or "there is only" one-ism.

Because of this, it is a philosophy that see's through itself completely without remainder. Thus a Buddha is considered a "thus gone one" or a Tathagata.

Take care and have a wonderful night/day!!"

-Vajrahridaya

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    "Entire being is the buddha-nature"

In the beginning of Dogen’s Bussho fascicle of the Shobogenzo, he quotes a famous passage from the Nirvana Sutra (ch. 27) All sentient beings without exception have the Buddha-nature. In Dogen’s way, Dogen reinterprets this sentence so that it more explicitedly reads in a non-dualistic style. In the previous sentence, it’s possible to read it dualistically as:

A subject, “sentient beings” “has” an object, “Buddha-nature”

Dogen reinterprets the sentence as:

Entire being is the Buddha-nature.

He tries to alleviate the duality inherent in the sentence structure. Entire being becomes the complete network of interdependent co-origination, which has no inside and no outside, no I and no you. Our being or a sentient being is actually the same as the total dynamic working of the entire network of beings. We cannot pull out a separated “being”. Dogen deconstructs the space or place of a “being” as a separate, independent unit. The entire network of beings, functioning together, is the Buddha-nature.

The Buddha-nature is not seen as a “thing” or an “object” but rather the process of life life-ing itself. It is the total dynamic working of the machine of life. Katagiri Roshi deconstructs the “time” of Buddha-nature. He says :
    “Buddha-nature is impermanence itself. This real moment is constantly: working, arising, disappearing, and appearing. To say what the present moment is, right here, right now, is to say that this moment has already disappeared. This is called emptiness. Both cause and effect are exactly impermanence in themselves. It means just appearing, that’s all. This is the basic nature of existence. That’s why impermanence is Buddha-nature. Buddha-nature is being preached constantly. When you manifest yourself right now, right here, becoming one with zazen or with your activity, this is Buddha-nature manifested in the realm of emptiness or impermanence.” From Returning to Silence, page 9.

Posted by Byakuren Judith Ragir at 7:04 AM "
  • How does one come to know and to see nirvana, that is, the unconditioned? It is certainly not with the conditioned or the anattâ/pañca-khandhas. The only possible way to know and to see the unconditioned, that is nirvana, is to assume that we are the self or atman (the Buddha-nature of Mahayana Buddhism). Thus, by transcending what is anattâ (lit. not-the-self), that is, pañca-khandha, we attain nirvana in the very self or paccattam which ends our spiritual ignorance.
  • taiyaki:

"Suppose someone declares that he has already attained the most perfect enlightenment. When asked for the reason, [he replies] “It is because [the tathâgata teaches that all sentient beings] have Buddha-nature. Since whoever is in possession of the Buddha-nature should have already attained the most perfect enlightenment, [I declare] that I have attained enlightenment now.” It should be understood that such a person is guilty of the pârâjikas [grave offense like murder]. Why? It is because even though [the Buddha teaches that all sentient being] have the Buddha-nature, they have not yet cultivated various beneficial means, and so still have no vision of [the Buddha-nature which they are going to have]. Since they still have no vision [of the Buddha-nature], they have not attained the most perfect enlightenment” (Mahayana Maharparinirvana Sutra).
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    @Songhill

buddha nature isn't atman.
  • Taiyaki:

"O good man! "Self" means "Tathagatagarbha" [Buddha-Womb, Buddha-Embryo, Buddha-Nature]. Every being has Buddha-Nature. This is the Self. Such Self has, from the very beginning, been under cover of innumerable defilements. That is why man cannot see it." (Mahaparinirvana-sutra).
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    It's just Rangtong Shentong again. Rangtong has some argument i think versus calling Buddha nature a 'self'.
This discussion has been closed.