Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Technique Droppin' / Buddhism is Simple !!! Lemme break it down for yaa ...

edited July 2012 in Meditation
HOW TO TRANSCEND KARMA:

One only continues paying a karmic debt if they are attached to their past or concerned about their future...

‎"In our daily life very often our body is there but our mind is else where. We are caught in the sorrow, in the regret concerning the past, or we are caught in the fear, in the uncertainty concerning the future. We are caught in our projects, our fear, our anger, our mind is not there with our body; we are not truly there." - Thich Nhat Hanh

To transcend karma we must fully immerse our being into the here and the now...

To do that, focus on one thing always, your all thinking too much !!! insight is had by NOT thinking...
WHen you breathe, be aware of your breath - follow your in breath, follow your out breath. / for mindful anything...
Sustain this concentration for as long as you can. That is mindful breathing, - the same goes for mindful walking...
when you walk, be conscious of your legs... appreciate your legs in a new light (DAM SON I HAVE WORKING LEGS...) !!!
Be mindful of your EYES look around, while you do be aware of your eyes... appreciate your eyes... not everyone has eyes that work well... Be mindful of your body... focus on the existence of your body as you move... feel the natural glow and phenomena that is being alive !!! Do this frequently...

Focus the mind on an object that is in the 'NOW' (legs, body, eyes, fingers... etc,etc..)
and again, sustain this concentration for as long as you can, if the mind drifts, no sweat... refocus, deep concentration like anything else takes practice... it is like meditating constantly....
In conclusion, While only focusing on one thing in the now you leave no room for your mind to dwell on past foolishness and/or fear of the uncertainty of tomorrow... First it is a conscious process but before you know it deep concentration will turn into the norm and you will feel what is the free flowing mind, WHOOT ! moving on...

‎"The way to transcend karma lies in the proper use of the mind and the will. The one-ness of all life is a truth that can be fully realized only when false notions of a separate self, whose destiny can be considered apart from the whole, are forever annihilated" - Bruce Lee

THE REALIZATION WHICH DISPROVES THE EXISTENCE OF A SEPARATE SELF:

Everything is empty, that is - of inherent existence or, separate existence...
A couch, a couch is made of things which are not a couch, it does not exist on its own...
The stitching is not the couch, the springs are not the couch, the fabric is not the couch, the fluff is not the couch, only all of these things together is the couch...

You are no different, your skin is not you, your bones are not you, your blood is not you... etc, etc...
Only all of these things together is you... now we can do this for everything fathomable in the universe, everything is interdependent... we can go into our bones... down to atoms or molecules or whatever... you get the point...
So you are a piece of the universe, the universe is you and so forth... when you 'die' your bones will disintegrate into dirt or something and maybe one day be the bed for some flowers... nothing in the universe is lost...

Hmm.. idk what else, simplify your life, be patient, don't expect things...
develop compassion, concentrate constantly, meditate if you like (definitely helpful), abstain from idle chatter and consuming intoxicants, never like or dislike just be and face the situation at hand... Read quotes of great philosophers and shit, experiment...

‎"I'm moving and not moving at all. I'm like the moon underneath the waves that ever go on rolling and rocking. It is not, 'I am doing this' but rather, an inner realization that 'this is happening through me' or 'it is doing this for me.' The consciousness of self is the greatest hindrance to the proper execution of all physical action." - Bruce Lee

I mean I've just served a nice helping of Buddhist pie, maybe i forgot some things... but the techniques i have listed is plenty to get the ball rolling for beginners and maybe even a cool refreshing reminder for some more experienced cats...

These techniques will allow you to come to your own realizations about the simplicity of human existence, and one more thing.... don't let anyone deceive you by leading you to believe enlightenment may take several life times to attain, enlightenment and totality is here with you right now... practice mindfulness... live, love,... enjoy the journey...

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Ok, calm down... no need to get all excited and shout.....
  • @federica

you have just left me absolutely baffled...
    i can't imagine some one trained in buddhism to be so quick with such a remark, i wrote this to help people, and i am happy i am in a position to have such an opportunity to do so
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    HOW TO TRANSCEND KARMA:

One only continues paying a karmic debt if they are attached to their past or concerned about their future...

You might want to ponder why your explanation for karmic debt, its birth, life & death, is unaffected by this present moment of attachment.

And your bequeathing all attachment free psychopath's, a Karma pass?

• robotrobot Veteran
    edited July 2012
    You may not understand Federica's remark for the same reason that you would choose to explain Buddhism in several inches of text.
    I don't mean any offense because much of what you have posted makes sense. And you may very well help someone. You deserve credit for trying.
    Still, there is a reason why the Buddha made 80,000 teachings instead of one.
    Many, or most people who are interested in Buddhism have found a great deal of material in books or on the Internet. There are hundreds of teachers to choose from. Some people may not be impressed by your approach. Or may even take offense that you have tried to simplify a practice that they may have worked on for many years.
    Quite frankly my view of your post is this: It's easier said than done

There is much to be said for attention to timing and a subtle approach when teaching people, particularly when they have not asked for some information.
    What I mean is this. If I am teaching my crew how to work for me, I am direct and as clear as possible. Everyone knows what is expected. There is no room for interpretation.
    If I am trying to teach my adult son something about living, I need to be careful about how and when I try to do it, or he tunes me out. If I get it right, he thinks he figured it out for himself.
    One other thing, for some people, belief that enlightenment will take several lifetimes or more is part of their path. Telling them that they are deceived may not be helpful.
    Unless someone is enlightened, they are not really in a position to say how long it takes.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    @federica

i can't imagine some one trained in buddhism to be so quick with such a remark, i wrote this to help people, and i am happy i am in a position to have such an opportunity to do so
    Then you might like to try to make your approach a little less... 'in-your-face'... the title of your thread is hardly universally inviting, nor is its tone endearing.... Using a verbal megaphone to attract people, is often counter-productive.
    The main thing to attract me to your thread was the fact that I moderate the forum,
    not a curiosity regarding the content of your post.

• @robot

Very well, I understand.

@federica

I understand your stand point too, though
    it seems as if you have not given any chance to the content of my post all because you are unimpressed with my ability to sell it....

in this case, regardless of my approach to teach what I have learned, there is something to be gained from what I have typed.

I probably will use a more subtle approach in the future, bless

• @robot

"One other thing, for some people, belief that enlightenment will take several lifetimes or more is part of their path. Telling them that they are deceived may not be helpful.
    Unless someone is enlightened, they are not really in a position to say how long it takes."

I am a teacher and a student, you are a teacher and a student.
    Many people who believe that enlightenment will take several life times to attain most definitely have not had the direct insight of past lives said to be had by the Buddha...
    In which case their belief is then a faith which I will continue to advise against.

Maybe its takin people several life times to attain enlightenment cause they haven't been explained things in simple terms and spend mad life times surfin through the 80,000 or so texts by the buddha!!! LOL...

jk! Bless robot, Fedrica and Mr. How, too
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    @PoisonFlowerz
    I never understood that argument. Sure it's supposed to take several (or many) lifetimes for the conditions to be right for realizing Nirvana, but what # lifetime is this one? We're already a gazillion rebirths into the process... this life here very well could be conducive to realizing Nirvana. There's certainly no reason to think it's not! When are we going to practice except right here and now, in this life?
    *scratches head*

If we believe in rebirth we have to know that rebirth has gone on for time immeasurable before us... and if we don't then we have to know we only have this life to practice. Either way we need to practice in this life, there's no other time or place to do it!

People just don't make sense to me sometimes. :D
    There's no good reason to think enlightenment isn't possible in this life.
  • @cloud

"If we believe in rebirth we have to know that rebirth has gone on for time immeasurable before us... and if we don't then we have to know we only have this life to practice."

We don't have to know, because we don't know.

There is a wall, no one has ever seen behind it
    The most highly venerated mystic claims to have had such insight that gave him the ability to see behind the wall, he says he can see someone dancing behind it. No matter how many followers this mystic has, no matter how genius or correct he may be most of the time, his word of this person dancing behind the wall is not proof of the dancers existence.

nor is there proof that the dancer does not exist
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited July 2012
    I mean what we think we know (based on the beliefs we have).

Neither case, whether one believes in rebirth or not, leads to a conclusion that enlightenment is not possible in the current life.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited July 2012
    maybe i forgot some things
    I think so, yes...

But thanks for the teachings anyway, especially for quoting Bruce Lee as a great philosopher. :D :thumbsup:

Metta!
  • We don't have to know, because we don't know.
    Well said!
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    @federica

For me personally, your writing kinda left me cold. Wisdom can be found in many places, and sometimes wisdom is quite simple. But then again, I doubt one post with terms and phrases like: "DAM SON I HAVE WORKING LEGS", "WHOOT" (whatever that means), "Read quotes of great philosophers and shit", "a nice helping of Buddhist pie", "experienced cats", and quotations from a pop movie actor accurately summarizes a religion (or philosophy) that's been intensely studied for over 2,000 years, or fulfills your promise that "Buddhism is Simple !!! Lemme break it down for yaa".

To each his own, of course, and you have a perfect right to your viewpoint that Buddhism is just that simple. Most of the rest of us aren't finding it quite so simple.

• BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    @PoisonFlowerz
    I never understood that argument. Sure it's supposed to take several (or many) lifetimes for the conditions to be right for realizing Nirvana, but what # lifetime is this one? We're already a gazillion rebirths into the process... this life here very well could be conducive to realizing Nirvana. There's certainly no reason to think it's not! When are we going to practice except right here and now, in this life?
    *scratches head*

If we believe in rebirth we have to know that rebirth has gone on for time immeasurable before us... and if we don't then we have to know we only have this life to practice. Either way we need to practice in this life, there's no other time or place to do it!

People just don't make sense to me sometimes. :D
    There's no good reason to think enlightenment isn't possible in this life.
    Agreed! Who is to say that I or you haven't been at this already for 20 or 30 lifetimes? That wouldnt be de-motivater, but more likey something to encourage deeper immersion in your practice. Or not, but either way, to suppose that this my first "crack" at it would certainly place illogical limitations on a subject that is already fundamentally illogical and infinite. Like a big metaphysical double negative. Ha!

• Maybe it is possible this lifetime, maybe it isn't... I just don't think it's worth worrying about really. You do your best and if it happens it happens and if it doesn't it doesn't.

I know if I'm in for a couple more rounds then it's cool. I quite like the world, so :p

I don't know... Pondering it just seems like a waste of time to me, I don't think it matters. I mean, if you have multiple lifetimes, what difference does a couple more make in the grand scheme of things? You're gonna get there in the end.

Could be wrong though :)

@poisonflowerz There was just too much incongruence in your original post between what you were saying and how you were saying it. It was too hyperactive and at odds with what I assume was supposed to be a peaceful message. I can't just take what you've written and ignore the context (the way you wrote it) because this is also an indicator of what you've learned.

But thanks for sharing and your efforts are truly appreciated. I know I've learned something from you and I'm grateful for that.
  • Here's something even more simple to ponder:

Not every Buddhist is engaged in seeking the Ultimate Enlightenment Goal.
    To become too attached, too focused on the goal of "enlightenment" is to be walking the path with blinders on while sealed in a 'hazmat' suit. You are just simply "missing the point" like that. (IMO, of course).

Speaking for myself, I have no desire to BE a Buddhist monk or LIVE like a Buddhist monk. I have no desire to view Buddhism as a means of attaining that which few (if any) since Buddha himself, have attained before me. I have no desire to strive for that level of perfection.

So, Why am I a Buddhist?
    Because it is a way for me to peacefully, calmly, serenely, and happily get through this lifetime while being as compassionate as possible, as respectful as possible, as helpful as possible to all living things I am connected to. For me, it is merely the "right" way to live life.

Overall, I must agree with Poisonflower's statement "Buddhism is simple..." because it really really CAN be.

Peace.

• @vinlyn

All i have to say about your remarks is you clearly know nothing of Bruce Lees greatness, he was much more then a pop movie actor
  • and yes all, i speak broken english

• @vinlyn

I doubt one post with terms and phrases like: "DAM SON I HAVE WORKING LEGS", "WHOOT" (whatever that means), "Read quotes of great philosophers and shit", "a nice helping of Buddhist pie", "experienced cats"

you doubt?
    That is only your idea, you think someone with a grand understanding of Buddhism would not speak in such a way.
    That is to say you did not evaluate my techniques yourself, you only assumed that one who speaks like I, could not have accurately summarized Buddhism

It is clear that the way I explained myself in this post was unfavorable to many and I will surely attempt to do a better job next time.

@vinlyn

@RebeccaS

I am a well trained student, but quite new to teaching

edited July 2012
    You may be a "well-trained student" but in my opinion, perhaps you might like to consider another vocation....
This discussion has been closed.