Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just wondering

OneLifeFormOneLifeForm Veteran
edited July 2012 in General Banter
if there are any lay people that take monks vows everyday?

What would that make an individual doing such?

A secret monk?

A want to be monk?

Checking if they could handle being monk?

Just monking around?

Comments

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    I took my refuge vows.

To get my shit together.

I'm sure other people take it for other reasons.
  • I'm thinking all beings, that take vows, do it to get/keep themselves together.

I guess I was just wondering if one has to be formally ordained as a monk or if they adhere to monks vows does that make them a monk or what?

It's all personal perception really I suppose.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    There are 8 lay vows that people often take for certain days or on retreats.

1.I undertake to abstain from causing harm and taking life (both human and non-human).
    2.I undertake to abstain from taking what is not given (for example stealing, displacements that may cause misunderstandings).
    3.I undertake to abstain from sexual activity.
    4.I undertake to abstain from wrong speech: telling lies, deceiving others, manipulating others, using hurtful words.
    5.I undertake to abstain from using intoxicating drinks and drugs, which lead to carelessness.
    6.I undertake to abstain from eating at the wrong time (the right time is after sunrise, before noon).
    7.I undertake to abstain from singing, dancing, playing music, attending entertainment performances, wearing perfume, and using cosmetics and garlands (decorative accessories).
    8.I undertake to abstain from luxurious places for sitting or sleeping, and overindulging in sleep.

Then there are the 10 novice monk vows:

1.Refrain from killing living things.
    2.Refrain from stealing.
    3.Refrain from unchastity (sensuality, sexuality, lust).
    4.Refrain from lying.
    5.Refrain from taking intoxicants.
    6.Refrain from taking food at inappropriate times (after noon).
    7.Refrain from singing, dancing, playing music or attending entertainment programs (performances).
    8.Refrain from wearing perfume, cosmetics and garland (decorative accessories).
    9.Refrain from sitting on high chairs and sleeping on luxurious, soft beds.
    10.Refrain from accepting money.

Then there are like 200-300 vows for a fully ordained monk or nun depending upon the tradition and whether one is male or female.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited July 2012
    . Vows are just the guidelines for enlightened behaviour. Don't distract yourself with the classifications of Monk or layperson. The only thing that can limit such vows would be ones lack of willingness to try to live by them.
    Different traditions offer different sets of them.
  • Thank you both for your comments :)
  • ZeroZero Veteran

Just monking around?
    :D this made the tea go down the wrong way... :D:D
  • ThePensumThePensum Explorer

7.Refrain from singing, dancing, playing music or attending entertainment programs (performances).
    Oh dear, refraining from singing and playing music? Alas I will never become a monk.

• Just monking around?
    Tea-rribly sorry about that ;)

• ZeroZero Veteran

Just monking around?
    Tea-rribly sorry about that ;)
    OOf!! :p good one... ;)