Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How do you transfer merits to others?

edited September 2011 in Buddhism Basics
Is it possible and how actually can it be done? I would like my sick and departed relatives to be free from suffering. Also, anyone who's suffering anywhere.

Comments

• MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    Magic.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited September 2011
    You can give materials, fearlessness, and dharma teachings. In the intention that it go to all beings. Our word and mind has power in this world. For example I can say I will eat a certain way and that word has power based on my decisions.

Do not however carry the burdens of the world on your shoulders.
  • Courtesy from Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva.
    http://www.ksitigabhabodhisattva.com/
  • Perform actions that are meritorious. But in your mind offer it to those beings you wish to offer it to especially. Or all beings. If possible, include them in whatever small way possible in the merit, and try to at least say you're offering merit to them.

That's all it takes. Very easy.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    This is where I stray from many common practises and may seem a bit harsh.

In what ever ways one can develop compassion, love & wisdom...Great.
    Wishing to help where ever it is needed is basic Buddhist practise. The act of helping others can widen ones heart and lesson ego's hold on our lives. BUT

I have too often witnessed the selective offering of merit manifest as magical thinking.
    Often manifesting as an alternative to that person really doing the difficult work of there own practise.

I think that in what ever way you manifest empathy, sympathy, compassion, tenderness, benevolence, love...helps everyone, everywhere.
    We are all connected or we are not.

Thinking that meritorious actions and offerings can be selectively delivered to one being is common but does not bear up well with my meditative examination or understanding.

The conditions for recognizing someone after they die is little different than before they were born. Nada. Bits and pieces of karmic inertia, coalescing and dispersing again.
    Your practise helps address Karma everywhere but your deceased relatives are probably only really recognizable in memory.
    Sick relatives can be helped by your manifestation of the 4 noble truths path to sufferings end just as all of us are.

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited August 2012

Is it possible and how actually can it be done? I would like my sick and departed relatives to be free from suffering. Also, anyone who's suffering anywhere.

It's just a mental act of offering to share, with as much compassion and good-will as possible, the positive energy of your skillful thoughts and deeds with others. You can do it as much or as little as you want. There's no harm in it whether it actually works or not. At the very least, it can help put you into a better, more positive state of mind, which can rub off on others as well.

In Theravada, they have a chant they often do during morning and evening chanting if you want to check it out and see one example of how some Buddhists choose to do it.
    zsc
  • There has to be a transaction.

For instance the sick person needs to desire to be well. From this point then the sick person will go to the doctor and receive treatment. And if they truly desire to be well, then there is a high probability that they will become well.

Now karma isn't that linear. There are an infinite variety of variables. The person could delude themselves into believing that they truly wanted to get well but subconsciously they want to be sick, etc. The doctor can be incompetent, etc. The sickness is a requirement and lesson for that individual on the path and nothing can interfere until they learn what is required from such sickness. And its really endless, the possibilities.

But it goes like this. If the individual is open to receive the merits given by the individual who desires to give merit then the merit will be received. The mechanics of that are speculations. But here is my speculation. It is a total, massive shift is perspective. For instance if I attained merit and believed wholeheartedly that I received merit, say through doing a ritual of purification and metta practices for others then what I am doing is allowing myself to receive the benefits of merit without reservations. What negates that is my karmic devil of the lack of self worth I have for myself, which arises due to past issues, etc.

So if you want to free your sick and departed relatives and everyone else in samsara. The biggest and most practical thing is to be on the path towards buddhahood. Practice sincerely and share your practice with everyone. Your intention is to help people and such intention will cultivate bodhicitta or the heart of enlightenment.

If you want to do something else then just do a ritual x, y, z and intend for the whole ritual to be for the purpose of helping others. Then fully believe that it did help others.

The power of thoughts and pure intent should not be underestimated.

This is my advice to you.
    son_of_dhammazsc
  • Does doing something for the express purpose of generating merit to transfer over to a specific person actually work, and if so, how? I don't know. Doing something for an unselfish reason is always good practice. A general, "I'm doing this for the benefit of people everywhere" is great.

But people being what they are, we don't leave it at that, do we? It used to be a widespread practice to pay for copies of the Sutras to be made, with the thing dedicated to some loved one like a sick mother or even dead grandma, that sort of thing. Making the copy generated merit. Granted, the copy was then tossed into a cave along with the thousands of other copies this industry generated, and the "merit" was reserved for where you wanted it to go. A King would order hundreds of copies to be made at one time, every one promptly locked away, never to be used. So a bit of money changed hands, someone felt better about having done their duty, and a bunch of scribes were employed, so that a thousand years later archeologists have a pile of identical sutras to wade through.

You just gotta love humanity. We always take a good idea and turn it into a way of making a profit. Merit can become just another type of currency.
  • Merit is a great idea for those in the causal vehicle.

When it comes down to the barebones of life, merit only is relevant when there is grasping towards or against thought.

Ultimately the nature of reality is meritless, as who is it to own merit?

Merit occurs as soon as there is attachment to this or that.

When there is absolutely no attachment or aversion then merit is the just the traceless activity of the bodhisattva. What greater merit is there, then finding absolutely no merit.
    how
  • how said:

Thinking that meritorious actions and offerings can be selectively delivered to one being is common but does not bear up well with my meditative examination or understanding.

... It bears up well with mine. So how is that an argument against its validity?
    Sick relatives can be helped by your manifestation of the 4 noble truths path to sufferings end just as all of us are.
    You seem to take the empirical view on several advanced topics of this nature--for example asuras. Is this correct?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Dunno about this transferring of merits stuff. Sounds like the Buddhist equivalent of a Christian praying for the well-being of others, which doesn't mean it'd be meaningless or useless... but doesn't seem like it would actually do what most people think it does.
  • You can give fearlessness. Trungpa talks about those who have taken to open outward and feeling tender. How this opening to emotions and going towards them without fear. Such a person at that stage can give caring milk to others. And they nurture. You have seen these dharma teachers giving that milk of love and fearlessness. Think of all these people on youtube and in books. Us on the forum also give the milk.
  • zsczsc Explorer
    Thanks for asking this. I've just been doing it passively, with a general prayer. Now, I realize that I probably should be more specific in my wishes for everyone to be free of suffering.
    son_of_dhamma
  • The basic important issue that I really think should be pointed out (that's all, just pointed out) is, disbelieving or denouncing the idea of people literally sharing merit--the ONLY thing that accomplishes is to prevent you from gaining merit from those sharing it with you, and in most cases also prevents you from sharing merit when you could do so easily at certain times.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    @ son-of-dhamma

how said:

... It bears up well with mine. So how is that an argument against its validity?
    You seem to take the empirical view on several advanced topics of this nature--for example asuras. Is this correct?

I shamelessly never try to give or take the validity of anything that my experience doesn't bear witness to. Some think that was the Buddha's last teaching. I have chewed through my share of the Tripitaka but think of that as meditative reference material. The "empirical" is my compass.

Not a big fan of classifying topics as advanced or not, provided a Buddhist foundation practise remains the priority. Folks just experience what their willingness allows for.

I have seen merit as one of Buddhism's sacred cows.
    I don't debate the help that it can give, just have seen way too much hardening and solidification of ego accompanying the selectiveness of the offering. Just saying all merit is good rather than encouraging the examination of ones intent & relationship to it, is a teaching oddity.