Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Google Data Collection

tmottestmottes Veteran
edited August 2012 in NewBuddhist.com
I have an extension to block google analytics and other google spying... um, I mean data collecting. Videos do not show up on this site, unless I disable this extension. I was curious if this use of google was inherent in the method of posting videos, the forum software, if newbuddhist.com is specifically employing google data collecting, or perhaps the extension is not functioning as intended.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    @Lincoln.... any input....?
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    I'm not as techy as some, but I'm just wondering... Can you watch youtube videos normally? I know that Google owns youtube, so it seems likely that there is some sort of data collecting associated with it. At the very least, there is always the counter for how many views each video gets.
  • @zombiegirl I can watch youtube videos, but I suppose it could be because they can collect that data directly, rather than relying on a 3rd party to supply it.
  • You're much more likely to get to the bottom of it if you say what the extension's called and provide a link to it.
  • tmottestmottes Veteran
    edited August 2012
    Its called Disconnect
  • I don't consider myself as "interesting" enough to make people want to watch me... I'd be the most boring reality show :)
    MaryAnne
  • tmottestmottes Veteran
    edited August 2012
    @Telly03 it isn't about people watching your actions specifically. Its about them collecting what is arguably YOUR data and profiting from it. For instance, Facebook can and does collect data on where you go whether or not you are signed into your account. This is how they can sell targeted advertising to companies. If you agree to sell your web movements for access to a social networking site, you should know the terms of that agreement. Do you know what you pay google for a search engine, mail, etc? How much data should you give to Facebook to gain access to their services?
  • tmottes said:

@Telly03 it isn't about people watching your actions specifically. Its about them collecting what is arguably YOUR data and profiting from it. For instance, Facebook can and does collect data on where you go whether or not you are signed into your account. This is how they can sell targeted advertising to companies. If you agree to sell your web movements for access to a social networking site, you should know the terms of that agreement. Do you know what you pay google for a search engine, mail, etc? How much data should you give to Facebook to gain access to their services?

And this hurts me how?
  • Aside from the inherent privacy risks of having your data out there, it is basically stealing. Companies that use these practices-like Google-either take that data without permission or take it and then say they are providing services in exchange for that data (rather than saying you pay us X for this service). I don't mind a clear agreement about what both parties get out of the deal, but they are unclear about what and how much they are taking. They rely on people with attitudes of "how does this hurt me" to make this an acceptable practice.

Perhaps its because I have grown up and been in a world of data my whole life, but when I see that I live in an information age and companies have shady practices around information, I see a red flag. Maybe in the future it will be easier for people to see how this can negatively impact their life, because right now it is sort of abstract and hard to quantify. Do I want a precedent that says companies can take my information based on their discretion? No. I would rather draw a clear line now and renegotiate later, than roll over now and fight later. History is full of peoples, cultures and nations that allowed seemingly benign things go on, only to find out later it had a wide-reaching and deeply-impacting effect on them later.

This is an imperfect analogy, but might serve to demonstrate my concern:

Would you sign up for a free maid service if part of the agreement said that in order to clean your house they could move/remove objects they deemed necessary for such cleaning whenever and without your specific knowledge? They would surely pledge to you that it would probably be small and of no impact to your daily life, but the actual agreement was more broad in scope. This is many internet companies like Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc.

Here are few links to peruse:

http://www.thenextgreatgeneration.com/2011/03/paying-with-data-free-services-on-the-internet-arent-free/

https://blog.disconnect.me/paying-with-our-data

http://www3.weforum.org/docs/WEF_IT_RethinkingPersonalData_Report_2012.pdf

Increased likelihood of identity theft:

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/people-search-engines-spokeo-make-easy-find-private/story?id=10768917

One more geared towards government:

http://chronicle.com/article/Why-Privacy-Matters-Even-if/127461/

Here is a fictional book that explores the possibilities:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Silicon-Jungle-Deception-Internet/dp/069114754X
    Telly03
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    tmottes said:

It doesn't really bother me. I use Google mail and maps and search for free. To me it's a legitimate way for them to profit by offering me their free services.

Telly03
  • @vinlyn It may be seen as splitting hairs, but its not free. It is legitimate if they are transparent about it, but they are not. I also feel it is naive to think that corporations have your best interest in mind (which is the implication of not questioning their broad and vague terms of service).
    tmottes said:

@vinlyn It may be seen as splitting hairs, but its not free. It is legitimate if they are transparent about it, but they are not. I also feel it is naive to think that corporations have your best interest in mind (which is the implication of not questioning their broad and vague terms of service).

@Tmottes, you have a right to your opinion, I to mine.

But if they are not open about it, how come it's fairly common knowledge?

• vinlyn said:

tmottes said:

@vinlyn It may be seen as splitting hairs, but its not free. It is legitimate if they are transparent about it, but they are not. I also feel it is naive to think that corporations have your best interest in mind (which is the implication of not questioning their broad and vague terms of service).

@Tmottes, you have a right to your opinion, I to mine.

But if they are not open about it, how come it's fairly common knowledge?

I didn't say open, iI said clear and specific. They have to say they are collecting data, but do you know what and how much you give them? Do you know what third party websites they use to collect your data? Do you how they store your data? Do you know anything about the data they have on you? Their terms of service are very broad and vague for a reason. Do you know that reason?

I am not just picking on Google either. Its numerous other sites and companies. If this was something more tangable and less abstract, people would be shouting to high heaven about it. Data is my job; I am reminded everyday that knowledge is power. I understand the implications, I am just sharing my expertise with the hopes others can benefit.
    I am well aware of what you are well aware of. It doesn't bother me.

But be courageous. If you don't like, don't use Google.
    Telly03
  • tmottestmottes Veteran
    edited August 2012
    blah
    Telly03
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran

It doesn't really bother me. I use Google mail and maps and search for free. To me it's a legitimate way for them to profit by offering me their free services.

This is pretty much how I feel too. I've been very happy with their services.

Now facebook... that's kind of a different issue though, lol.
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited August 2012
    I'm with Vinlyn and ZG on this. I don't let it bother me. I rarely, and I mean RARELY see unsolicited ads in my regular internet creepings and crawlings, nor in my email that I use only for family, friends and online business (shopping, banking, etc).

Now yahoo? That's a different story... all kinds of spam, trash email and ads following me everywhere, which is why I don't use yahoo mail for important stuff, nor do I ever EVER use yahoo search. Never. Yahoo also filters their search features a great deal, so you are only seeing what THEY want you to see when you search. AOL did the same thing and still does?

Google has always been my 'friend' and the best search engine ever invented... at least so far. I'm very disappointed to hear it's going to be phased out - next year (?).
  • I upgraded to the most recent version of this extension and the videos are back on this site. I guess it was the extension after all. No need for any answers to the OP. @federica thank you for your attempt to help.
    MaryAnne said:

I'm with Vinlyn and ZG on this. I don't let it bother me. I rarely, and I mean RARELY see unsolicited ads in my regular internet creepings and crawlings, nor in my email that I use only for family, friends and online business (shopping, banking, etc).

Now yahoo? That's a different story... all kinds of spam, trash email and ads following me everywhere, which is why I don't use yahoo mail for important stuff, nor do I ever EVER use yahoo search. Never. Yahoo also filters their search features a great deal, so you are only seeing what THEY want you to see when you search. AOL did the same thing and still does?

Google has always been my 'friend' and the best search engine ever invented... at least so far. I'm very disappointed to hear it's going to be phased out - next year (?).

Google as a search engine is not being phased out. igoogle is being phased out: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_162-57467046-501465/google-phasing-out-igoogle-homepages/

• vinlyn said:

MaryAnne said:

Google as a search engine is not being phased out. igoogle is being phased out: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_162-57467046-501465/google-phasing-out-igoogle-homepages/

Oh that's right! Durrrr on me.
    Well, I really like my iGoogle homepage and widgets and stuff too! :/
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited September 2012
    I have no idea what's going on here, but to answer the original question:

YouTube is owned by Google. So, of course that app would block it if it was being overzealous.

It's not a forum extension, Vanilla just replaces a YouTube link with YouTube's standard embed code. It ain't rocket science.

We do use Google Analytics on this site to measure traffic.
  • haha... thanks @lincoln. This was actually resolved. It was a bug in the extension. You can close this if you want, although I doubt it will be commented upon anymore :)