Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Thanatos and Buddhism

edited September 2012 in Philosophy
If a Freudian were to come across a concept like nirvana, which literally means extinction, wouldn't he conclude that Buddhism is based upon the death instinct? While most religions favor eternal life or something along those lines (thus validating Eros or life instinct), Buddhism alone seems to have an affinity for death. Or so an analyst would claim.

How would you counter this?

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited September 2012
    Buddhism doesn't have an affinity for death, where are you getting this stuff? Cessation (nirodha) in Buddhism is of "craving" (tanha) and "suffering" (dukkha)... it doesn't mean literal "death". Freud might think it's a death instinct but Freud wasn't right about everything. The craving for non-existence is one of the cravings that are given up, and that applies to everything we might wish to not exist or be associated with.

The Buddha taught of suffering and the cessation of suffering, specifically offering up a Path that would lessen and eliminate craving altogether. That's all. Now individuals can have different goals or purposes to which they apply Buddhism... but the Buddha's intent was only to deal with the stress factor of life and how to overcome it.
    federicaJeffrey
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited September 2012
    Reading on the internet I find this: "Freud referred to a nirvana principle. Nirvana is a Buddhist idea, often translated as heaven, but actually meaning "blowing out," as in the blowing out of a candle. It refers to non-existence, nothingness, the void, which is the goal of all life in Buddhist philosophy."

Non-existence? Nothingness? The Void? These seem to be misinterpretations or failed attempts to understand Emptiness. The number of people who misunderstand what emptiness means is staggering, but I wouldn't have thought a psychiatrist/psychologist would've made such a mistake. The "goal of all life in Buddhist philosophy" is not non-existence, it's the non-existence of suffering.

Freud seems to have gone from eternalism directly to nihilism. So much for Freud. ;)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2012
    Freud got an awful lot of things wrong. I have little or no respect for some of his crank ideas....

(If indeed, that passage is alluding to his personal interpretation of it.... it could be the Authors' own.....)
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited September 2012
    @federica, In any case the author explaining Freud certainly misunderstands Buddhism, and it's sad how often this is the case. Even without self/soul, Buddhism is definitely not nihilism.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Absolutely right, it certainly isn't.
    music said:

If a Freudian were to come across a concept like nirvana, which literally means extinction, wouldn't he conclude that Buddhism is based upon the death instinct? While most religions favor eternal life or something along those lines (thus validating Eros or life instinct), Buddhism alone seems to have an affinity for death. Or so an analyst would claim.

I'd counter it by doing a lot more research into Buddhism, from authentic and reliable Buddhist sources, before latching onto any 'external' views or opinions....

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Cessation (nirodha) in Buddhism is of "craving" (tanha) and "suffering" (dukkha)... it doesn't mean literal "death". ....
    According to the teaching on dependent origination nirodha also means cessation of the whole process of samsaric existence, the cycle of birth and death. But cessation is not the same as extinction.
  • To a casual observer, Buddhism like other Eastern religions is about the extinguishing or death of the "self" in some way. This is in contrast to religions that celebrate the individual soul or self as eternal and unchanging. You can talk about how it's not really death and such, but that's really semantics to them. And to be honest, I think they have a point. We do tend to treat the "self" as a bad thing, or at best a bad illusion that must be eliminated. But without the self, what is left? All I am, far as I can experience, is self. So I talk a good game while desperately hanging onto what makes me an individual.

I once heard a lecture that might be a vast overgeneralization, but it was pointed out that this might be a result of Buddhism and Eastern religions tending to mature in homogenous populations where everyone is related, looks and acts alike. Virtue and accepted good means fitting in. You are told fulfilling your purpose means meeting expectations and being at peace with your role in the vast social structure is the ultimate goal. "It's the nail that sticks out that gets hammered down" is a truism in Korea, at least. There's a reason some version of Confusionism never took root in the West, with their mobile populations.

So individualism, or the "self" is not valued. Happiness is going with the flow, being the Tao, losing the selfish desires and being one with society. The religions echo and reinforce that, with their stress on stripping away the self and achieving a common Buddha Nature.

Here in the West, constant immigration and mobile populations meant individualism became prized. We want to stand out, make our mark, be admired, and do our own thing. The popular religions echo this with their individual, eternal, unchanging soul. You're unique. You didn't inherit some hand-me-down soul from some dead person along with their karma. And this unique individual is the ultimate prize, and here for eternity.

But this might be an overgeneralization, as pointed out. Just something to ponder.
  • Buddhism is not merely the ending of suffering, it is the ending of consciousness, isn't it? And life is consciousness ...
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited September 2012
    @music, It's not the ending of a personal consciousness. When you die you cause further consciousness to be reborn because of craving... it's not you, it's not the "I" transmigrating (that's a Hindu belief). As such the past life that led to "you" wasn't you either, it just caused you. It's a completely selfless process. This is why the metaphor of a candle is used... rebirth is one candle being used to light another. It's a new flame and yet it's still causally linked to the old one, it could not have arisen without the old one.

Life goes on with or without you; all that ceases is a particular causal chain that has caused suffering to re-arise again and again and again for a very long time. If there isn't awakening/enlightenment, then the karmic seeds of this life are passed on, meaning the new life that arises will have to deal with the consequences of your actions and go through all of the same suffering/B.S. and hopefully be able to awaken and cut the chain. So it's a good thing to cut the chain in this life to prevent that suffering from happening... more though, enlightenment is the ending of suffering in this very life, and leads to peace. It's really "here and now" that we're suffering after all.
    Cloud said:

@music, It's not the ending of a personal consciousness. When you die you cause further consciousness to be reborn because of craving... it's not you...

Yes, with the exception of pari-nibbana, the death of a Buddha, when traditionally there is no further appearance of consciousness in samsara.
    If a Freudian were to come across a concept like nirvana, which literally means extinction, wouldn't he conclude that Buddhism is based upon the death instinct?
    According to the suttas the desire for extinction ( non-becoming ) is also a cause of suffering. For example in SN 56.11:
    "And this, monks is the noble truth of the origination of dukkha: the craving that makes for further becoming — accompanied by passion & delight, relishing now here & now there — i.e., craving for sensual pleasure, craving for becoming, craving for non-becoming."
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    music said:

... nirvana, which literally means extinction...

I have to agree with others above, the Buddha specifically said that nirvana was NOT annihilation, or extinction. He gave a whole sutra about it. I can track it down if you like.

In fact, another translation of Nirvana is "The Deathless", which is used a lot by Ajahn Sumedho and other monks in the Ajahn Chah tradition.
  • Then what exists during or after nirvana - consciousness? What else?
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    music said:

I'd say that Buddhism endeavors to transcend the Eros/Thanatos dichotomy; although, due to its predominately via negativa approach, it's often mistaken as pessimistic and bent on annihilation, death, and self-destruction. The main problem, however, is that Freudian psychoanalysis essentially denies this possibility, so it can't help but find Buddhism to be based on the death instinct, which Freud theorized arises out of a seeming "urge inherent in organic life to restore an earlier [i.e., inorganic] state of things." But in giving up our attachment to things that are subject to aging, illness, and death (i.e., the aggregates), and turning our minds instead to the deathless (amata), we're able to effect a profound psychological event that radically changes the way the mind relates to experience, opening ourselves up to a state of mind that's said to be unshakable, total, permanent, and free, which is anything but the pessimistic and self-destructive endeavor some mistake Buddhism to be.
    edited September 2012

music said:

... nirvana, which literally means extinction...

I have to agree with others above, the Buddha specifically said that nirvana was NOT annihilation, or extinction. He gave a whole sutra about it. I can track it down if you like.
    Quite right. It should be noted that nibbana is the extinction of greed, hatred, and delusion (SN 38.1). It's only annihilationism if we equate ourselves with the defilements, which Buddhism most certainly doesn't.
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    edited September 2012
    music said:

Then what exists during or after nirvana - consciousness? What else?

Hoho, that's a difficult one, as the buddha mostly described nirvana in terms of what it was not. I'll look up his words for you tomorrow and post them here.
    But now it's time for me to sleep, night night.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited September 2012

Cloud said:

@music, It's not the ending of a personal consciousness. When you die you cause further consciousness to be reborn because of craving... it's not you...

Yes, with the exception of pari-nibbana, the death of a Buddha, when traditionally there is no further appearance of consciousness in samsara.
    I may not have been very clear, my bad. :D

What I'm saying is that rebirth is not of a "personal consciousness" (which could be called "I" or "self") to begin with. The life that will come after this one will be caused by this one, and be linked to the karmic seeds still present, but will not be the same person or the exact same consciousness. Just like using one candle to light another, the flame has not passed... it has not transmigrated or hopped from one candle to another.

And so enlightenment can not be said to be the end of a "personal" consciousness, though no further (new) consciousness will be caused upon pari-nirvana as you say. It's not annihilation of a self; there was no persistent self to begin with. Rather it's stopping the process of causing new consciousness and new suffering. Rebirth is like having a will that states your descendent will inherit all of your debts and have to pay them off. They're your debts, but someone else will have to take care of them. We're currently paying off the debts of those who came before us, but we aren't "them".

At least this is the Theravada understanding, where it's all a selfless process.

The problem with the Hindu view of self or "atman" is that it makes Nirvana either annihilation of self... or an eternity of experiential bliss (a heaven), both of which the Buddha denied. However without positing a self, using Dependent Origination to see that all phenomena are dependently arisen and empty of self, there is no problem.
    edited September 2012

Hoho, that's a difficult one, as the buddha mostly described nirvana in terms of what it was not.

I agree. There are many ideas about whether an arahant exists after death in some shape of form, and it can be a difficult question to answer in terms that not only make sense but don't give the wrong impression since the unconditioned is beyond words and descriptions, which is why it was undeclared by the Buddha. Asking this question of the Buddha, for example, would possibly go something like this:

If you were to ask the Buddha whether the Tathagata [a synonym for 'arahant' and an epithet for the Buddha] exists after death, doesn't exist after death, both exists and doesn't exist after death, or neither exists nor doesn't exist after death, the Buddha would answer, "That has not been declared by me."

When pressed further, the Buddha would counter by asking you whether form, feeling, perception, mental fabrications, and consciousness are constant or inconstant. If you were to answer constant to any of these, he'd probably proceed to give you a discourse on the aggregates and dependent co-arising. If you were to answer inconstant, then he'd ask you whether it's proper to regard what's inconstant, stressful, and subject to change as: "This is mine. This is my self. This is what I am."

If you were to answer yes, he'd probably proceed to give you a discourse on the not-self characteristic. If you were to answer no, then he would ask whether you regard form, feeling, perception, mental fabrications, or consciousness as the Tathagata.

If you were to answer yes to any of these, he'd remind you that all these phenomena are inconstant and not fit to be called 'me' or 'mine.' If you were to answer no, then he'd ask whether you regard the Tathagata as being in form, feeling, perception, mental fabrications, and consciousness, or elsewhere than form, feeling, perception, mental fabrications, or consciousness.

If you were to answer yes to any of these, he'd remind you that all these phenomena are inconstant and not fit to be called 'me' or 'mine.' If you were to answer no, then he'd ask whether you regard the Tathagata as form-feeling-perception-fabrications-consciousness [i.e., taken together], or as that which is without form, without feeling, without perception, without fabrications, without consciousness [i.e., without any relation to the aggregates, and by consequence, the sense bases].

If you were to answer yes to the former, he'd remind you that these phenomena are inconstant and not fit to be called 'me' or 'mine.' If you were to answer yes to the latter, he'd probably ask you on what basis you'd make such an assertion since the description of such a self lies beyond the range of explanation. If you were to answer no, then he'd say, "So, my friend — when you can't pin down the Tathagata as a truth or reality even in the present life — is it proper for you to declare, 'The Tathagata exists after death', 'The Tathagata does not exist after death', 'The Tathagata both exists and does not exist after death' or 'The Tathagata neither exists nor does not exist after death'," and proceed to give a discourse such as this:
    "In the same way, an uninstructed, run-of-the-mill person — who has no regard for noble ones, is not well-versed or disciplined in their Dhamma; who has no regard for men of integrity, is not well-versed or disciplined in their Dhamma — assumes form (the body) to be the self, or the self as possessing form, or form as in the self, or the self as in form.

"He assumes feeling to be the self...

"He assumes perception to be the self...

"He assumes (mental) fabrications to be the self...

"He assumes consciousness to be the self, or the self as possessing consciousness, or consciousness as in the self, or the self as in consciousness.

"He does not discern inconstant form, as it actually is present, as 'inconstant form.' He does not discern inconstant feeling, as it actually is present, as 'inconstant feeling.' He does not discern inconstant perception... He does not discern inconstant fabrications... He does not discern inconstant consciousness, as it actually is present, as 'inconstant consciousness.'

"He does not discern stressful form, as it actually is present, as 'stressful form.' He does not discern stressful feeling... He does not discern stressful perception... He does not discern stressful fabrications... He does not discern stressful consciousness, as it actually is present, as 'stressful consciousness.'

"He does not discern not-self form, as it actually is present, as 'not-self form.' He does not discern not-self feeling... He does not discern not-self perception... He does not discern not-self fabrications... He does not discern not-self consciousness, as it actually is present, as 'not-self consciousness.'

"He does not discern fabricated form, as it actually is present, as 'fabricated form.' He does not discern fabricated feeling... He does not discern fabricated perception... He does not discern fabricated fabrications... He does not discern fabricated consciousness, as it actually is present, as 'fabricated consciousness.'

"He does not discern murderous form, as it actually is present, as 'murderous form.' He does not discern murderous feeling... He does not discern murderous perception... He does not discern murderous fabrications... He does not discern murderous consciousness, as it actually is present, as 'murderous consciousness.'

"He gets attached to form, clings to form, & determines it to be 'my self.' He gets attached to feeling... He gets attached to perception... He gets attached to fabrications... He gets attached to consciousness, clings to consciousness, & determines it to be 'my self.' These five clinging-aggregates — attached to, clung to — lead to his long-term loss & suffering.
    And if you were to ask whether the Buddha has any position at all as to whether the Tathagata exists after death, doesn't exist after death, both exists and doesn't exist after death, or neither exists nor doesn't exist after death, he'd reply:
    "A 'position'...is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origin, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origin, such its disappearance; such is perception... such are mental fabrications... such is consciousness, such its origin, such its disappearance.' Because of this, I say, a Tathagata — with the ending, fading out, cessation, renunciation, & relinquishment of all construings, all excogitations, all I-making & mine-making & obsession with conceit — is, through lack of clinging/sustenance, released."
    BhanteLucky
  • If Freud had analyzed the Buddha, then Freud would have gone mad, lol.
    Cloud
  • @music, Or maybe he'd have awakened and been a better psychiatrist/psychologist. He did have things wrong you know. ;)
    federicaPatr
    I think Freud had quite a few psychological problems of his own. Talk about 'Physician, heal thyself' - !
  • Music:
    Some western interpretations imply that nirvana is almost death-like while others make nirvana absence (which still implies death). I think western secular Buddhism goes something like this:

The Buddha is really each of us; his Dharma is sensory perception; and the Sangha is the natural world. When one dies, this is Nirvana.

This is not far from the materialist doctrine during the Buddha's era which believed "perception is the only authority; earth, water, fire and air are the only elements; enjoyment is the only end of human existence; mind is only a product of matter. There is no other world: death means liberation" (Indian Philosophy: A Critical Survey, 1960, 41).
  • Thanks for all the insightful posts, but I am a little frustrated that we still have no idea as to what the condition after death is. What exists, what doesn't. Does consciousness endure and if not, isnt it practically indistinguishable from the materialist position that once you die, you die and nothing is left? So many questions, so few answers. Even Buddha's answer seemed more like a non answer to me. Just being honest.
    Maybe instead of questioning what the condition after death is, it'd be more profitable to question the reason the question itself means so much to us.
    Incidentally, this topic reminds me of something I wrote on Easter after eating too much apple pie and watching endless reruns of the 1961 epic King of Kings if anyone's interested.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited September 2012
    Yeah, what @Jason said.

I'd add that we shouldn't really be worrying about post-death until we come to understand how things are "right now". We have to try to understand such Buddhist concepts as Not-Self (Interdependence), to see that we never arose as independent beings in the first place. We are completely interdependent with the world; we are the world.

A lot of the post-death questions become irrelevant when we understand what we truly are.
       "Don't you know who you are?"

You are a miracle.

Don't you know who you are? Don't you understand that you are the sum of the ages, the distillation of all that has gone before? Can you not see your place in the grand procession of being, identify with it, participate in it, cooperate with it, add your own essence to it?-contribute to the miracle?-then proudly pass the torch on to those yet to appear?

Don't you know who you are? You are the stars and the planets, the sands and the seas. You, the miracle of creation, are everything that has ever been. What's more-and what's more important-you are everything that ever shall be.

You are atoms and empty space, molecules and living cells, a colony of sentient beings called together from the depths of time to re-experience the world. You are consciousness and understanding, awareness and appreciation, sensation and cognition.

You are a fragment upon which is written all the secrets of creation and existence, and in which is carried the seed of all that can ever be.

From A SEARCH FOR MEANING From the Surface of a Small Planet, by Don Pendleton./blockquote>
  • I know focusing on the practice is important, but this post death stuff is fascinating, and since almost every religion has a clear-cut explanation on this issue, Buddhism alone stands as the odd man out. Not that I am complaining but it is a little curious.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited September 2012
    @music, That's exactly the reason why Buddhism (and the Buddha himself) is so vague on post-death issues, because what we are isn't something that actually stands apart (is separate or independent) from the rest of the world. We're not coming into and going out of existence, but are part of the ebb and flow of phenomena. We ride on the crest of the wave of time, and all of this "stuff" is recycled and reused in different combinations.

Coming to see "emptiness" (what we really are) is what allows us to put down "self" (self-view) in all things, but we can only really see this through meditation and following the Noble Eightfold Path. I understand your frustration! It would be easy to make statements about post-death, but because they're not being understood from a perspective of "no independent entity" to begin with, they'd be misunderstood or lead to nihilism. It's really better to try and get a grasp of what we actually are, right now, instead of worrying about what happens at or after death. When we realize that we are the world, we go beyond birth and death (and self/other), and so it becomes clear that such questions about if we'll exist after death (and so on) are delusional questions to begin with.

I know, I know, that doesn't really answer anything...
  • music said:

Thanks for all the insightful posts, but I am a little frustrated that we still have no idea as to what the condition after death is. What exists, what doesn't. Does consciousness endure and if not, isnt it practically indistinguishable from the materialist position that once you die, you die and nothing is left? So many questions, so few answers. Even Buddha's answer seemed more like a non answer to me. Just being honest.

From the moment our species became intelligent enough to anticipate our own deaths and the deaths of our loved ones, we've been obsessed with the question, haven't we?

It's not that we don't have an idea about what it's like after death. We have lots of ideas. What we don't have is proof of one idea over another, not the sort of proof needed to convince anyone beyond a reasonable doubt. What we have are a lot of conflicting beliefs.

So what proof would satisfy you, personally? If you had your own NDE and saw a vision of something, it would just be a vision probably caused by oxygen starvation and preconceived beliefs. If nothing survives, and your mind ends along with the brain's function, how do you prove it?

Since humanity spends so much time beating it's head against the wall of death, it seems more productive to consider the obsession itself. Some people claim, not that they know the answer, but that they have conquered and eliminated the obsession and fear of death. Perhaps that is enough, in the end.
  • Music:
    Thanks for all the insightful posts, but I am a little frustrated that we still have no idea as to what the condition after death is.
    Dr. Raymond Moody, Dr. Kenneth Ring, and researchers from the University of Virginia, know quite a bit what happens when the body, so to speak, gives up the ghost. So do the Tibetans (the Delog tradition). Whether or not western Buddhists care about this matter is another subject, one not worth diving into.

music said:

If Freud had analyzed the Buddha, then Freud would have gone mad, lol.

Just don't get the Buddha talking about his mum. Soooo many Freudian themes there;
    His mother was impregnated while she slept, by a multi-tusked white elephant, who reached into her with his trunk and fertilized her somehow. That's some pretty hardcore stuff. I mean, it would be illegal to view pictures of that in most countries!
    And she died shortly after giving birth, leaving little Gautama with an aunt to raise him. Abandonment issues?
    And then when he grew up he was all booze and music and Sexy Sexy with dancing-girls in his father's palace, basically a hyper-rich playboy, Then he settled down with his wife for only a few years, before deciding to abandon both her and his kid, and go off to be celibate in the forest!
    It would have blown Freud's mind!
    (Not to mention his little to-and-fro ding-dong with Mara... schizoid or what...??!?)
    If you were to ask the Buddha whether the Tathagata [a synonym for 'arahant' and an epithet for the Buddha] exists after death, doesn't exist after death, both exists and doesn't exist after death, or neither exists nor doesn't exist after death, the Buddha would answer, "That has not been declared by me."

When pressed further........ then he'd ask you whether it's proper to regard what's inconstant, stressful, and subject to change as: "This is mine. This is my self. This is what I am."

Though I don't think the Buddha's refusal to answer the pari-nibbana question is explained by reference to anatta.
    Jason said:

Maybe instead of questioning what the condition after death is, it'd be more profitable to question the reason the question itself means so much to us.

You're right. Though I think it's useful to understand what the Buddhist position is - it seems to vary according to which school of Buddhism one listens to.
    edited September 2012

When pressed further........ then he'd ask you whether it's proper to regard what's inconstant, stressful, and subject to change as: "This is mine. This is my self. This is what I am."

Though I don't think the Buddha's refusal to answer the pari-nibbana question is explained by reference to anatta.

In the Suttas, answers and refusals to answer this question usually revolve around anatta (e.g., SN 22.85), the simile of the fire (e.g., MN 72), or such questions not being connected with the goal and fundamental to the holy life (e.g., MN 63).
    Jason said:

In the Suttas, answers and refusals to answer this question usually revolve around anatta (e.g., SN 22.85),

Thanks, I wasn't familiar with that one. Though it still seems very enigmatic to me:

"What do you think: Do you regard the Tathagata as form-feeling-perception-fabrications-consciousness?"
    "No, my friend."
    "Do you regard the Tathagata as that which is without form, without feeling, without perception, without fabrications, without consciousness?"
    "No, my friend."
    "And so, my friend Yamaka — when you can't pin down the Tathagata as a truth or reality even in the present life — is it proper for you to declare, 'As I understand the Teaching explained by the Blessed One, a monk with no more effluents, on the break-up of the body, is annihilated, perishes, & does not exist after death'?"

• Cloud: @music, Or maybe he'd have awakened and been a better psychiatrist/psychologist. He did have things wrong you know.

Haha, cant agree more!
  • Freud was a pioneer. Much of his thought has long ago become a historical footnote..
    I think the OP has a relevance if we remove Freud from the equation.
    It is possible to read in the posts of some Buddhists..not particularly on this forum. a longing for non- being.. which is very different from a longing for liberation.
    One finds it particularly on certain sites where embodiment is equated with impurity.
  • Very thoughtful thread