Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Do you know what Buddhism is all about?

hermitwinhermitwin Veteran
edited September 2012 in Buddhism Basics
I see many people asking interesting questions and getting into lively discussions.
Yet, too often what is missing is the crux of the issue.
What is Buddha all about?
andyrobynmithril

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited September 2012
    "I teach only two things, O disciples, the nature of suffering and the cessation of suffering." (Siddhartha Gautama, the Buddha)

That is at least why the Buddha taught what he taught, and is the heart of the Four Noble Truths... suffering, its origin, its cessation, and the way leading to its cessation.

Of course people "use" Buddhism for other things as well.
    taiyakiZeromithril
  • yes, you are right.
    but there are many spiritual teachers.
    what is unique about Buddha?
    mithril
  • He's the only one to teach the Four Noble Truths? :D
    taiyakimithril
  • chariramacharirama Veteran
    edited September 2012
    I think Buddhism is about Loving Kindness.

I think it is about the true nature of the reality and, as Cloud pointed out above, the nature of suffering and the cessation of suffering. It is about understanding and developing the mind.

Buddhism is about Loving Kindness.
  • thickpaperthickpaper Veteran
    edited September 2012
    hermitwin said:

What is Buddha all about?

It is wise to make the distinction between what it is about and what the aims are.

The aims are reducing dukkha and cultivating sukha, ideally to the point of totality.

It is about many things, from the universal truths of all realities (impermanence, interconnectivity, causal interdependence...) up to how best to drive a car kindly:)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    hermitwin said:

yes, you are right.

He never made any special claims other than to simply say he was awake.
    Not a god, not a deity, not a self-glorifying egotistic individual with a Me~Complex.
    Just a bloke, really.

mfranzdorf
  • Still learning
  • I think what is unique about Buddhism is the lack of a central deity. Practice centres on your own experience rather than worship of something external. Emphasis is on the present moment rather than salvation some time in the future.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Yup... Like I explain to many people who ask: Most religions are about "Putting it 'out there'...." Buddhism is about "Bringing it all 'back here'...."
    mfranzdorf
  • Buddhism is about failing to escape from freedom.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    youtube.com/watch?v=-h1miVEqer0

I tried to link this to avoid another youtube video on here but I thought this was a good presentation from philosopher Alan Watts.
    poptart
  • ph0kinph0kin http://klingonbuddhist.wordpress.com Explorer
    hermitwin said:

yes, you are right.

It is exceedingly rare to become awakened (i.e. Enlightenment) in an era where the Dharma is obscured, forgotten or unknown. You have to discover it entirely on your own without anyone to show you.

Once such a being comes into existence, and becomes a Buddha, they "turn the wheel" so that others can benefit and learn.

That's what makes a Buddha distinct. The Dharma is pretty profound, but if no one had discovered it, people of today would not benefit from it.
  • According to Zen master Joko Beck Buddhism is realizing there is no enlightenment. Oops, wait a minute—got that wrong. :o Here is what she said.
    “Wisdom is to see that there is nothing to search for. If you live with a difficult person, that’s nirvana. Perfect. If you’re miserable, that’s it.”
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited September 2012
    hermitwin said:

yes, you are right.

Phenomenal question. For me, it would have to be his discovery (uncovery?) of the mechanics of relative existence--the chain of cause and effect that keeps suffering going, and his having understood the path that leads out of this suffering, and then having been able to convey it in terms that makes sense.

Probably the primary reason I feel he was unique (or unique to my experience, anyway) is that his path requires a personal realization of these things, rather than having us latch on to someone else to realize it for us. To me, that makes the most sense, and probably more importantly, every investigation I take into that theory seems to prove it out logically.

Dependent origination, the mechanics of karma and ethics--all those are massively important to me, and accepted as the most logical concept of reality; but in contrasting Buddhism with other religions, what stands out to me is the concept that we ourselves are responsible for our salvation.
    person
  • "What is Buddha all about?"
    Buddha simply means the awaken, the one who understand the real nature, the four noble (as explained by cloud).
    The teaching of all Buddhas is: To avoid all evil: To do good. To purify one's mind.

"What is uniques about Buddha?"
    I think this teaching in Kalama Sutta can show "one" of the unique about Buddha.

It stated like this:
    Do not go upon what has been acquired by repeated hearing,
    nor upon tradition,
    nor upon rumor,
    nor upon what is in a scripture,
    nor upon surmise,
    nor upon an axiom,
    nor upon specious reasoning,
    nor upon a bias towards a notion that has been pondered over,
    nor upon another's seeming ability,
    nor upon the consideration, "The monk is our teacher." [emphasis added]
    Kalamas, when you yourselves know: "These things are good; these things are not blamable; these things are praised by the wise; undertaken and observed, these things lead to benefit and happiness," enter on and abide in them.'
  • buddhism is like taking poop and using it to grow flowers instead of just letting the poop sit outside and rot
    Sile
  • It's about practicing and disciplining ourselves to be free of suffering.
  • evolve said:

buddhism is like taking poop and using it to grow flowers instead of just letting the poop sit outside and rot

There was the case of a man who used his poop to grow flowers, and another who let his poop rot. Tell me, O Ananda, which one will attain nirvana?

I don't know, blessed one, but I am sure they both stink.

evolvetmottes
  • My Hocąk dad had a question he would ask people of other religions (he himself was a Hocąk traditionalist). He and his uncles went to visit Deer Park Buddhist Center near here, and he asked, "What is Buddhism about?" I think it was Geshe Sopa who answered, "Train the mind."

Another interesting thing to me about that visit is that Hocąks are often not--I don't know how to put it gently--kindly disposed towards other religions, but when they first got there, they walked around the grounds for a while by themselves and uncle Jones, who was about 90 at the time and an extremely revered elder, finally said in Hocąk, "This is a very high order."
  • My 2 cents are simply that there is a fundamental problem in this world, suffering. As average people we stumble through life in ignorance and Buddhism gives you the tools to approach what life has to throw at you and a virtuous path to walk which gives you the chance to help others.

All of the main teachings like the 4NTs, 12links, emptiness, meditation etc are all crucial to the path and lead on to relizations about yourself, life and human nature.

@Sile I am reading a book, well I am reading two but one is based around the teachings of Ajahn Chah 'Living Dhamma' and he puts so much emphasis on training the mind, to look inward.
    "You have greed and delusion in the mind but don't know it. You won't know anything if you are always looking outside. This is the trouble with people not looking at themselves. Looking inwards you will see good and evil. Seeing goodness, we can take it to heart and practice accordingly. Giving up the bad, practicing the good... this is the heart of Buddhism."
  • What Buddhism is all about can be found in the discourses (sutta/sutra) of the Buddha. The Buddha said things like:
    "Whatever is there of material shape, feeling, perception, the habitual tendencies, consciousness—he beholds these things as impermanent, suffering, as a disease, an imposthume, a dart, a misfortune, an affliction, as other, as decay, empty, not self. He turns his mind from these things; and when he has turned his mind from these things he focuses his mind on the deathless element (amatadhatu), thinking: This is the real, this the excellent, that is to say the tranquilizing of all activities, the casting out of all clinging, the destruction of craving, dispassion, stopping, nibbana" (M.i. 435–36).

And,

"This is the deathless (amata), namely, the liberation of mind through not clinging" (M.ii.265).
  • According to the monk at the temple I have been going to recently: do good, don't do bad, purify(train) the mind.
    Songhill said:

What Buddhism is all about .....

@Songhill, the question isn't "What is Buddhism all about?"
    The Question is "What is BUDDHA all about....?"

• SabreSabre Veteran
    edited September 2012
    Much ado about nothing.

That's basically what the buddha was on about.
    ThailandTomfederica
  • Sabre said:

Much ado about nothing.

That's basically what the buddha was on about.

Post of the day!
    mfranzdorf
  • federica said:

Songhill said:

What Buddhism is all about .....

@Songhill, the question isn't "What is Buddhism all about?"
    The Question is "What is BUDDHA all about....?"

But the title of the OP is "Do you know what Buddhism is all about?" I am confused... :scratch:
    I tend to go by the OP. Titles have to be short. OP's can elaborate....
  • Do you know what Buddhism is all about?
    It's the art of disappearing ~ realizing "no-self" ~ to transcend suffering. As long as one's life centres around a solid self, suffering will be present. This, in my view, is the crux of the path. Everything else in the teachings appears to gravitate towards this.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited September 2012
    Why does this belief that the Buddha taught "no-self" keep coming up? I've always been told the Buddha taught a Middle Way between "no-self" and a permanent, immutable self, and that he thought "no-self" was wrong view. But maybe this is a topic for another thread.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Dakini said:

Why does this belief that the Buddha taught "no-self" keep coming up? I've always been told the Buddha taught a Middle Way between "no-self" and a permanent, immutable self, and that he thought "no-self" was wrong view. But maybe this is a topic for another thread.

I don't know if it should be in another thread or this one, but I think that's a very good qeustion.

• vinlyn said:

Dakini said:

I don't know if it should be in another thread or this one, but I think that's a very good qeustion.

I follow that, would be nice @dakini if you elaborate this in a new thread.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited September 2012
    Dakini said:

Different people have different ideas about the scope and purpose of the teachings on not-self (anatta), but there's basically three main approaches or interpretations: no self, pragmatic, and pro self.

In Theravada, for example, the general consensus (especially among those who put a lot of stock in the Abhidhamma Pitaka and the commentarial literature) is that there's no self to be found whatsoever, and you get passages like this from the Visuddhimagga:
    Mere suffering exists, no sufferer is found;
    The deeds are, but no doer of the deeds is there;
    Nibbāna is, but not the man that enters it;
    The path is, but no traveler on it is seen.
    However, there are also those in Theravada who take a more 'middle of the path' approach, like Thanissaro Bhikkhu, who is of the opinion that "the anatta teaching is not a doctrine of no-self, but a not-self strategy for shedding suffering by letting go of its cause, leading to the highest, undying happiness" (No-self or Not-self?).

And then there are those who believe that there is a transcendent self, but that it's merely obscured by the aggregates.

As for myself, when I first started out, I was decidedly in the no self category since most of the books and teachers I had stressed this interpretation. But after studying and contemplating the teachings more, I'm now of the opinion that the anatta teaching is ultimately a pragmatic, soteriological method rather than a strict ontological statement.
    CloudfedericaArthurbodhi
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited September 2012
    Dakini said:

Middle way refers to the middle ground between sensual indulgence and extreme austere practices, which were common at the time of the Buddha. It doesn't refer to middle way between self or no-self.
    Patr
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited September 2012

Jason said:

But after studying and contemplating the teachings more, I'm now of the opinion that the anatta teaching is ultimately a pragmatic, soteriological method rather than a strict ontological statement.

I tend to agree.

Yes, I find all teachings are best understood pragmatically.

• SabreSabre Veteran
    edited September 2012
    I tend to disagree.

The problem with taking things pragmatic is that it is dependent on our interpretation to begin with. Those who think god created them also think it's pragmatic - for them it's applicable in daily life - that's why they prey. Those who think there is no self at all or those who think there is a self somewhere also see that as pragmatic. Those who sort of flow inbetween also think they are pragmatic. So to make a division between certain approaches that are pragmatic and others that are not, is creating a division that's not there in reality. Also, whether something is pragmatic or not doesn't say anything about whether it is true or not, of course.

But it's getting a bit off topic.
  • If Buddhism is about anything to me it is about the practical considerations of the teachings ... the truth ( especially from the teachings of the Buddha and others since in Buddhism ) is found in how something actually works in your own experience rather than in theory. This is pretty much a text book defintion of pragmatism.
    edited September 2012
    Sabre said:

I tend to disagree.

The problem with taking things pragmatic is that it is dependent on our interpretation to begin with. Those who think god created them also think it's pragmatic - for them it's applicable in daily life - that's why they prey. Those who think there is no self at all or those who think there is a self somewhere also see that as pragmatic. Those who sort of flow inbetween also think they are pragmatic. So to make a division between certain approaches that are pragmatic and others that are not, is creating a division that's not there in reality. Also, whether something is pragmatic or not doesn't say anything about whether it is true or not, of course.

But it's getting a bit off topic.

I am not wanting to go off topic either Sabre.
    However, it is valid to comment that your examples are not valid in relation to taking a pragmatic approach to understanding Buddha's teachings.
    I do not need to reflect on what others believe and what I think about what they believe has nothing to do with what Buddha taught - and what my practice is aiming for - understanding the nature of and the ending of suffering - my own and others.
    I do not believe my way is the way, the only way or whatever ... such ideas do not enter into aiding understanding, as I see it.

• SabreSabre Veteran
    edited September 2012
    andyrobyn said:

If Buddhism is about anything to me it is about the practical considerations of the teachings ... the truth ( especially from the teachings of the Buddha and others since in Buddhism ) is found in how something actually works in your own experience rather than in theory. This is pretty much a text book defintion of pragmatism.

Of course Buddhism is pragmatic, I'm not denying that. But what I'm saying is that taking a pragmatic way doesn't say anything about the conclusions of that. Taking it pragmatic can also turn out to show there is no self anywhere, for example. Pragmaticism is not just specific to one interpretation of annata, and thus there is no need to make a distinction between pragmatic and ontological.

Difficult word, what it comes down to is that practice can prove theory.
  • It's probably best to take the pragmatic approach in the meantime. Then perhaps one could possibly change this idea completely when on the cushion.
    Sabre
  • Sabre said:

andyrobyn said:

If Buddhism is about anything to me it is about the practical considerations of the teachings ... the truth ( especially from the teachings of the Buddha and others since in Buddhism ) is found in how something actually works in your own experience rather than in theory. This is pretty much a text book defintion of pragmatism.

Of course Buddhism is pragmatic, I'm not denying that. But what I'm saying is that taking a pragmatic way doesn't say anything about the conclusions of that. Taking it pragmatic can also turn out to show there is no self anywhere, for example. Pragmaticism is not just specific to one interpretation of annata, and thus there is no need to make a distinction between pragmatic and ontological.

Difficult word, what it comes down to is that practice can prove theory.
    I can see the value and importance of making the distinction between pragmatic and ontological based on the OP, as Jason did in this discussion .
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited September 2012
    At times it can be valuable, I agree, but if we draw a hard line between pragmatic and other 'approaches' of understanding anatta, we limit ourselves. If we by forehand say, 'this interpretation is not pragmatic, this is not what the Buddha taught', I think that's not that pragmatic at all, I think that's taking a theoretical position.

Anatta can be used pragmatically, but also has a deeper meaning. If we only are pragmatic and don't look deeper into the mind, we won't find this meaning. If we only go by theory and suttas, and are not pragmatic, we won't find it either. It's our wisdom that should decide when we pick up whatever approach. The amount of practice and theory probably depends on personality.

So in a way this is ontopic again. The Buddha wasn't just pragmatic, he wasn't a philosopher either. He taught a way to see the truth. Is the truth pragmatic or ontological of whatever difficult word? It's all, it's neither, it's useless to define it in such terms because that's limiting the options of what it can be.
    edited September 2012
    Sabre said:

I agree, but I wasn't talking about conclusions born out of the practice myself; I was talking about initial approaches to the anatta teachings. Going around before such a discovery and saying "I have no self," for example, as if we don't exist, which is what I did the first few years, now seems counterproductive and silly to me. Moreover, by starting out with an assumption (e.g., I have no self/there is no self), one is limiting themselves from the very beginning.

If we're to conclude now what the answer may be, without the insights born of the practice itself, it'll be little more than speculation; there'll be no 'gnosis,' no knowledge of the truth. And we're never asked by the Buddha to speculate about what he meant, nor are we told that we'll be freed by our conceptual thoughts of such. All that does is lead to what the Buddha called 'a thicket of view' and to the propagation of those views (a mental form of samsara, literally 'wandering on').

In fact, I think the Suttas are quite clear that, as important as having an intellectual understanding of the teachings is, people who are serious about ending suffering will eventually need to put these teachings into practice to see whether they really do lead to a true and lasting happiness. Simply clinging to views of self certainly won't do it; and it should be noted that clinging to the view 'I have no self' can be as much of a form of self view as 'I have a self' (MN 22).

Ultimately, I think trying to approach the teachings on not-self from an purely intellectual standpoint runs the risk of turning them into a metaphysical doctrine of self, which I believe falls short of their intended purpose. The Dhamma itself isn't just a collection of words, it's something to be utilized, to be experienced; and the Buddha didn't teach anatta as a doctrine of self, he taught anatta as part of his overall strategy to overcome suffering.

RebeccaS
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited September 2012
    I think we are in general agreement. As long as we don't know it isn't particularly useful to stick to a specific view.

So depending on where we are we can see anatta as an initial idea, as a tool, as something to realize, as something partly realized, as something fully realized, as something to keep in mind, as something that brings us to liberation. The same is basically true for all the Buddha's teachings.
    Sabre said:

I think we are in general agreement. As long as we don't know it isn't particularly useful to stick to a specific view.

So depending on where we are we can see anatta as an initial idea, as a tool, as something to realize, as something partly realized, as something fully realized, as something to keep in mind, as something that brings us to liberation. The same is basically true for all the Buddha's teachings.

Agreed. :)
    Sabre said:

Your post here is more powerful for me than you might expect.

Let's say we did an experiment. We created two groups of people, 10 in each group.

Group A would be made up of people who were not Buddhist and didn't know much about Buddhism, BUT were randomly chosen among people who were very open-minded about Buddhism. And we had them read -- independently -- all the sections of the Buddhist scriptures that dealt specifically about one topic of Buddhism...let's say kamma.

Then, we selected Group B -- again randomly -- 10 members of our forum. And one by one, each member of Group A would sit down and have a 15 minute discussion about kamma with each member of group B. All these sessions would be only one-on-one.

At the end we had each member of Group A prepare a 5 minute presentation on kamma, which they would then give to all the members of the forum.

What we would we find? My guess is that we would find significant variations about the understanding of kamma among our 10 members of Group A.

And that's where the key word of your post comes in, which I find so powerful -- INTERPRETATION.

And I think about how interpretation flavors all discourse in Buddhism and other religions, as well.

RebeccaS
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited September 2012
    I'm happy you liked it.

Yes, interpretation has huge inpact and a lot of discussion is just a matter of interpretation. But it should be added that interpretation is not the end or start of all things, because interpretation also has causes. In Buddhism we have this thing called 'delusion' which clouds our view, causing a clouded interpretation. Why do all people who have different interpretations think their interpretations is right? That's caused by that delusion. So one aim of the path is to rise above delusion, thus rise above interpretation and get actual insight. Based on insight things are not really an interpretation anymore.

Now, to be one step ahead, who says that's not just an interpretation? :crazy: But it doesn't matter if it is or not, because trying to get beyond clouded interpretations is the only thing we can do.
    edited September 2012
    Thank you, Sabre, for admitting you're deluded. :lol:

But seriously, ultimately we must remember, in all these issues, some of us are correct, some of us are incorrect.
    Sabreandyrobyn
    edited September 2012
    Sabre said:

The two negatives in your first sentence have sent my mind into a bit of a spin here, Sabre !!

Taking a pragmatic view of the teachings has meant and by definition will continue to result in not having a fixed view about a concept - which is what Lord Buddha was all about.