Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddha in unlikely places :)

zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifelessin a dry wasteland Veteran
Just playing through Zelda and the Skyward Sword after a long hiatus and I've found that the water temple is completely Buddhist inspired.

In the image below you can see the obvious large Buddha statue in the center of the main chamber, there are lotus blossoms in the water and lotus designs in the architecture, and of course, the nice dharma wheel on the side. :)

As a side note, I've always enjoyed the water temples in Zelda games since they tend to be less slash and bash and more complex puzzling. It's somewhat relaxing (albeit sometimes frustrating) compared to some of the other temples and fits with the Buddhist theme. :)

Anyone see the Buddha popping up in some random (but delightful) places lately?
sova

Comments

• Anyone see the Buddha popping up in some random (but delightful) places lately?

Only within..

:lol:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.. had to type something completely sterotypical and cliche.

If only there was a dislike button that you could press for this post @zombiegirl ;)

On a more serious tip, actually answering the question, I chose not to fuel anger that formed when interacting with my mother.

It was really quite beautiful. I dropped her off at her place of employment and soon after started seeing things for what they are.
    She is just operating according to patterns.

Also I had found a Buddha statue a little while back. I fixed it up and painted it, that was really cool as it is my first Buddha ever.

Instead of buying one from the store I got to recycle one that some people didn't want anymore.

• I love zelda and always have done, the N64 zelda blew me away as a kid, it was so advanced for it's time. But as I live here now I have disconnected myself from consoles, so the last version I have played was the 'Ocorina Of Time' (sorry for spelling cannot be bothered to look it up right now). That screenshot is really cool though, nice to see the Asian traits coming through in the game more. Does it still have Link as the main character?
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    @OneLifeForm I think the most cliched answer would have been, "If you see the Buddha, kill the Buddha." Hahaha.

Cool story though. I love moments when you suddenly have a vision of how you would have behaved in your past before studying Buddhism and what you now know is the proper way to behave. I actually had a similar situation involving a neighbor yesterday. There was some miscommunication that resulted in him doing something very out of line. I knew that I had to confront him about it and was getting myself all worked up about the situation to the point where I was shaking, thinking of all of the things I was going to say to support my side... but then I realized, I don't need to say any of those things, he already knows what he did was wrong. The proper thing to do was simply to give him my phone number and tell him to contact me in the future if anything like that ever happens again. If I had gone the route I was previously imagining in my head, I think it would have caused more strife between us and created a much less harmonious living situation, something I obviously wanted to avoid.

@ThailandTom Ocarina of Time is no doubt, my favorite game of all time. :D Skyward Sword is fun, but it's a little weird. They incorporated the Wii Motion Plus so that you have to swing your arm just like a sword and hit different enemies in different ways for a successful hit. It's pretty fun, but sometimes a little frustrating.
  • i really like that game. i made link's name 'buddha'
    ArthurbodhiThailandTomsova
  • Other fan of N64 Ocarina of Time :) de really awesome game.

BTW: you remember/played the Fire Temple with Muslin like chant?
  • Pff, A Link to the Past for SNES was the best one. :D
    Arthurbodhizombiegirl
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    Two young guys moved into a house over the road from me about 18 months ago. For the first 6 months it was all loud music, cars and parties etc. that was starting to annoy my family and the other neighbours.

By chance, we knew the lady who owns the house (she is a carer at our daughter's child care centre) and she asked us to contact her if we had any issues with them. We held out for quite a while but eventually gave her a call and told her about the noise and how much they were disturbing the neighbourhood.

Apparently she had received similar complaints about these guys and came around and gave them a right blasting! She then went to each neighbour and personally apologised (which I thought was very big of her).

Sure enough, for the last year they have been very quiet. And, about two weeks ago, a statue buddha pops up beside their front door! For all I know they may be using it as an ashtray or to clean their boots but I did have to smile when I saw it.

ThailandTomArthurbodhizombiegirl
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    evolve said:

i really like that game. i made link's name 'buddha'

Er. I named my Link "Dyke" because this new incarnation is so pretty, he looks a bit like a lesbian to me (esp. in the opening scenes in the sky realm). Also, I keep forgetting until they mention his name, so little gems like this one show up for my amusement:

My girlfriend and I always name our characters weird things for the laugh factor. Sometimes we try to outdo each other... haha. Oh well, I never said I was mature. :rolleyes:
    sovaevolve
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I don't think maturity is a pre-requisite when playing these games....:D
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    That sounded as if I was being rude, but I wasn't.....
  • There was some debate ages ago about Link being male or female, I must admit, the characteristics of Link are quite feminine a lot of the time. This entire thread had brought on an urge and attachment to buy an N64 and the 2 zelda games especially. How cool the first one was in it's day, day turned into night, you could own your own horse and stomp around on it, it was a really amazing game.
    @ThailandTom

What do you think? I think he's pretty... lol.

I actually have Ocarina of Time downloaded on my Wii (only 10 bucks, can you believe it?) and I have the completely remastered version on my 3DS. How many games have they really gone through and completely upgraded the graphics? I think that game really was something special.

Btw @Cloud ... A Link to the Past was my introduction to Zelda! Loved that game too.
  • @ThailandTom

What do you think? I think he's pretty... lol.

I actually have Ocarina of Time downloaded on my Wii (only 10 bucks, can you believe it?) and I have the completely remastered version on my 3DS. How many games have they really gone through and completely upgraded the graphics? I think that game really was something special.

Btw @Cloud ... A Link to the Past was my introduction to Zelda! Loved that game too.

This is link? I have never seen Link in this way before, always the green outfit of course. I could not say if that was a girl ot boy personally. I have no consoles now, but Iwould love an N64, so many great games on that, so so many. I don't like the wii due to the hand movements etc, I like the oldskool console style. I must admit I have adobe illustrator and photoshop for free which I downloaded, that is like 300-400$ or something. But yea w/e, precepts disregarded can just be as bad as not seeing your attachemnts to certain things.
  • zombiegirl:
    Er. I named my Link "Dyke" because this new incarnation is so pretty, he looks a bit like a lesbian to me
    He really does :D .

Has anyone played Twilight Princess, and is it any good?
  • http://www.robitstudios.com/treasure-adventure-game/

Downloaded this recently, haven't really played it but it looks pretty cool.
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran

zombiegirl:

Er. I named my Link "Dyke" because this new incarnation is so pretty, he looks a bit like a lesbian to me

Twilight Princess is my favorite Legend of Zelda game, I couldn't put it down for like 2 weeks straight. Yeah, it's good ^_^
    edited September 2012

zombiegirl:

I actually haven't played this one but my girlfriend loved it. When we had the game, I was too busy with work to bother and now I'm too involved with Skyward Sword, but I do hope to get it next. I hear really good things.

Also, that game looks fun. Very old school style. :)

@ThailandTom This Zelda sort of completely revamps the story. Both Link and Zelda are knights in training in a town that exists in the clouds. Nobody believes that there is anything below the clouds, but then Zelda gets kidnapped and of course, Link has to go find her... etc. You have birds that you fly around on to get from place to place. It's all very different and interesting. I thought that I would be put off by the Wii controls at first, but it's actually pretty fun. Actually, the plot line is pretty romantic and adorable. They really tried to put some backstory in this one.