Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What is a language one might learn if they are a Buddhist?

DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
edited October 2012 in Buddhism Today
If you're Jewish, you might learn Hebrew.

If you're Christian, you might learn Greek

If you're Hindu, you might learn any number of Indian languages.

What are some languages you might learn if you are a Buddhist? If it helps, I'm deeply interested in the Vajrayana school.

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    Your own. Compassion, love & wisdom is the language of the Buddhist heart/mind.
    DaftChrisMaryAnneJohnG
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited October 2012
    DaftChris said:

What are some languages you might learn if you are a Buddhist? If it helps, I'm deeply interested in the Vajrayana school.

DC, isn't it fairly obvious,then? Tibetan or Japanese. Or Chinese (Ch'an Buddhism). But to learn enough of any of those to be able to read religious texts, it would take years. Just so you know. There's spoken Tibetan, then there's classical Tibetan. Two different deals. Does your university offer that? If not, you're down to a choice between Japanese or Chinese. Chinese might be the best place to start, since a lot of texts were recorded in Chinese before they went to Japan, and some even went to Tibet from China. But it will still take close to a graduate degree in Chinese to be able to be able to read religious texts, just fyi.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    DaftChris said:

I don't think it's worth it, particularly when trying to learn a new character set. I tried learning Thai...and did some...but wow...so much more difficult than learning another western language due to the character set and (in the case of Thai) different tonal sounds.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    These are nationalities, not religions... You think all jews know hebrew? you think all Christians would learn Greek - or Arabic?
    Simply because a religion springs from a specific location, there's nothing to say that the language of origin is either a must or a given... As I heard one gentleman (seriously, recorded, on film!) say "If English is good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for me!"

Language is immaterial. Practice is vital.
    vinlynamandathetexan
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    It is definitely worth it to invest the time to learn a new language. Because if you fast forward 3 or 4 or 6 or 8 years the details of your life will probably be a little fuzzy, but you'll be able to decipher some script you couldn't have before, it's rather astounding what the mind is capable of.

Japanese, Sanskrit, Tibetan... I think people tend to look at "how many years will this take" and then make a decision of whether or not they want to attempt it -- but why? Why do things that way? If you really want to see the view from the top of Mount Kilimanjaro one is not going to sit at the foot of the mountain and cry about it being a long hike -- where's the sense in that? Rather, if you're interested in learning a language, just get right down to it. Look for cheap classes in your area and take some -- languages are literally alternate modes of thinking/viewing/conceiving of the world and its contents, so to wonder whether it's worth it or not is like wondering whether or not it'd be useful to invent an airplane or rocket ship before knowing what it's capable of

Languages are fun! And awesome! And I would encourage everyone to try and wrap their head around at least one language that isn't their mother tongue, because if you practice for a few days you yourself will notice changes, a few weeks and it'll go up, it'll go down, and in a few months you won't have noticed any changes, because they are so ever subtle, but you will be able to hear and recognize new sounds, and structure your thoughts in new ways, and perhaps eventually come infinitely close to the notion that thoughts and thinking, that contemplation itself happens at a deeper level, beyond the structure of language.

Not to mention that the best techniques for language retention and learning new words/vocab are something one has to explore on their own. There are many "I guarantee you can learn a language this way supa dupa fast!" products that might work, might not -- and real techniques, like the genuine ones that do work, are usually stated in such a straight-forward and simple manner that we are likely to doubt their efficacy until we try them ourselves and see the results. This is just like reading about Buddhist practice, it's essentially a new language of the heart and mind like @how said. Most people don't view it that way, and never get very far in their practice, and even people that view it that way get obsessed that they are the only ones that can view it that way, and subsequently actually go backwards in their practice...

Language learning takes discipline, motivation, and a general curiosity and willingness to discover unknown bounties in a language (and therefore an entire Culture!) different from the one in which we are already snug and cozy.

It can always sound like a big commitment, what if I told you you gotta wait 7 years to be a grown-up from when you're 12 years old? SEVEN YEARS? BUT THAT'LL TAKE FOREVER UGHH oh wait it just happened. The time is an illusion at best, it's really just about setting your heart straight and knowing that the reward will outweigh the investment by a factor of [inconceivable]. The parallels to spiritual practice are numerous and it is all about self-betterment, accustomization, training, reflection, meditation to some degree... Honestly, confront it with an eager attitude. It's like thinking about going to a new planet where there is sentient life and whole new ways of communicating -- the earth can seem pretty "small" and connected if our windows into it all look the same (television and media, despite the wealth of information available, tend to narrow to our cultural values over and over)

Anyway, that's just my thoughts on it. If anyone reading is curious to learn a new language, even something like the Buddhadharma, mastery does not come from picking up a few translated materials and identifying typos -- it comes from an initial yearning to live it and breathe it, to open your eyes to a whole new world that, although "already there" was invisible, imperceptible.

Dogen says Zen practice is like walking through fog. You put in enough diligent practice with the motivation to improve and understand (and most importantly in Buddhadharma a will-to-the-truth and an altruistic attitude to help others) -- perhaps you won't notice getting wet but walk through the fog long enough and you will get soaked [in its dharmic goodness]. Language learning is kinda like that.

That's all I gots ta say. Now go out there and become citizens of the world already!
    RebeccaS
  • DaftChris said:

What are some languages you might learn if you are a Buddhist?

Learn bullshit. Then you'll spot it more easily.
    DaftChrisamandathetexanI_AM_THAT
    sova said:

It is definitely worth it to invest the time to learn a new language. Because if you fast forward 3 or 4 or 6 or 8 years the details of your life will probably be a little fuzzy, but you'll be able to decipher some script you couldn't have before....

If you really want to see the view from the top of Mount Kilimanjaro one is not going to sit at the foot of the mountain and cry about it being a long hike -- where's the sense in that? ...languages are literally alternate modes of thinking/viewing/conceiving of the world and its contents...

Languages are fun! And awesome! ...

Language learning takes discipline, motivation, and a general curiosity and willingness to discover unknown bounties in a language (and therefore an entire Culture!) different from the one in which we are already snug and cozy.

Now go out there and become citizens of the world already!

Gee, calm down! :p

It's nice that you're excited about languages...and I really mean that. But not everyone is. And if you have a heart condition, as I do, you may be left at the foot of Mount Kilamanjaro and cry about it, but there are always others pleasures in the world you can enjoy. Languages are not fun and awesome to all people. I struggled through high school French and hated it. And just because I took French didn't mean I actually learned a thing about French culture. Now, when I started visiting Thailand regularly, and then living there, I had a real desire (and need) to learn some Thai language. That did open new doors for me. But it was the being there that taught me a whole new culture, and picking up some of the language just made it more enjoyable.

I'm not knocking your excitement at all. But I like geology and photography and... In other words to each his own.
  • Buddhism is one of the only religions without a sacred language. Yes, the sutras are written in Pali and Sanskrit, but these are not sacred languages. They're just the vernacular of the areas they were written/conceived in.

In Islam, one must learn Arabic as it is the language of the Qur'an and Jannah (Paradise). It also serves to preserve specific cultural norms that have existed since the time of Muhammad. As Buddhists, we do not have or need a language such as this. Because Buddhism is based more on a philosophy than strict religious tradition, which makes it extremely adaptable, there really was no need to preserve a sacred language (at least for lay people).

One could argue that sanskrit could be considered our sacred language, since we do still use sanskrit terminology. However, in my opinion there is nothing sacred about the language. We merely reference it if there is no equivalent for a term in our own language or because it's easier to use in certain situations (like chanting). Chanting "gate gate paragate parasam gate bodhi svaha" is a little easier than it's English equivalent.
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited October 2012
    Learning a little or a lot of the languages of early Buddhist texts is a beautiful and rewarding journey if you're so inclined. I recommend as one option picking a text or passage to which you have a strong connection or has always appealed to you; find an early source, and spend some time with it.

For example, I feel a really strong pull towards Medicine Buddha. Lama Zopa put out a translation of a short Medicine Buddha practice, and I was lucky enough to find the original Tibetan pecha copy in my uni library. There is a lot of repetition in Tibetan texts, so even though the beginning is slow, by the time you see "chag tsal lo" (homage to) for the fourth time, you realize you know it ;)

I consider it a form of meditation...going through the pecha slowly, word by word, already knowing the practice somewhat so therefore I know what I'm reading in general even if I don't know every word yet. And they say that the consciousness understands these blessed words on some level even if the conceptual mind doesn't feel like its processing them yet (that's why you can read the Bardo Thodol instructions for the dead to the person who's passed away, and it doesn't matter what language you read it in or what language they spoke during their last lifetime).

However beautiful a translation from one language to another, something is always altered, and it's very rich to approach the same text or passage from multiple translations and even languages--it can definitely deepen one's understanding of the spirit of the passage, in my experience. You could start small--maybe just a short, treasured saying, for example, and see how it goes. There are so many original texts/translations available online now!

• SileSile Veteran
    P.S. And don't feel like you have to take old classical approach of learning the whole alphabet first, or learning grammar rules--it's totally legit to start with a favorite word and get to know it. Then move onto another word, etc.

Our human brains are designed to absorb language rules, and generally one learns them most effectively by not separating and analyzing them. That's how many three-year-olds automatically know that since "dogs" and "cats" is pronounced "dogz" and "cats," "frogs and bats" probably follows the same unspoken rule. Some adults do prefer and relish analysis, though, so if that's your thing, go for it!
    vinlyn said:

Gee, calm down! :p

hahah, sorry @vinlyn, couldn't help myself, it is a point of passion
    vinlyn said:

I'm not knocking your excitement at all. But I like geology and photography and... In other words to each his own.

^.^ tru dat.

Sile said:

I consider it a form of meditation...going through the pecha slowly, word by word, already knowing the practice somewhat so therefore I know what I'm reading in general even if I don't know every word yet. And they say that the consciousness understands these blessed words on some level even if the conceptual mind doesn't feel like its processing them yet (that's why you can read the Bardo Thodol instructions for the dead to the person who's passed away, and it doesn't matter what language you read it in or what language they spoke during their last lifetime).

However beautiful a translation from one language to another, something is always altered, and it's very rich to approach the same text or passage from multiple translations and even languages--it can definitely deepen one's understanding of the spirit of the passage, in my experience. You could start small--maybe just a short, treasured saying, for example, and see how it goes. There are so many original texts/translations available online now!

I wholeheartedly agree! :)
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    "Only one book is worth reading: the heart." - Ajahn Chah
    sova
  • RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited October 2012
    I adore languages! I'm currently learning Russian and French and I used to speak Italian. But Buddhism has nothing to do with these choices and Hasn't influenced them at all.

I would guess in a Buddhist contexts that languages would be Pali, Sanskrit, maybe Japanese.... I think it really boils down to if you're interested in it or not.

Hilariously, the above reads like someone who is learning English :lol: My iPad likes to "fix" things for me.
    Jason said:

"Only one book is worth reading: the heart." - Ajahn Chah

Reminds me of the Thai monk who told me, "Easy to learn about Buddhism; buy a book. Difficult to learn about yourself."

sovaI_AM_THAT
    RebeccaS said:

I adore languages!

I think I'm a little weird. I took a handful of linguistic classes and loved learning about different languages and language trends, but I'm not that interested in actually learning languages, other than Thai when I lived there.

I was particularly interested in languages becoming extinct. And the conversation about whether or not all languages need to be preserved. I was kind of torn between preserving the history aspect of it, but also thought that it's better to have more widespread languages that facilitate more people being able to communicate with each other.

• As a buddhist, silence is the only language you have to learn.
    @vinlyn, I think you're right that being able to communicate is important, but consider as perhaps an extreme but very real case - Tibet. Chinese occupation has made Chinese the main language ... many of the signs now have Chinese as the main lang and Tibetan as a minor, some hazardous areas don't even have Tibetan.. with the extinguishing of a language easily comes the extinguishing of a culture.. Very very sad

And I can totally agree that it's not very interesting to learn, say, Swahili and just hang out in suburbial Wisconsin... the whole point in learning a new language, at least if you ask me, is to eventually immerse yourself in that culture and learn the heart and mind of a different group of humanity .. We really all are one big family, but the way Aunt Joe and Uncle John, or the way Cousin Tanaka-san might talk about world issues, get ready for class, or pump up for a soccer match will be different ..

Cultural homogenization is good in that everyone gets an up-to-date access pass to all the published and media materials available in (English) .. but what if there is more valuable knowledge than something like physical chemistry, and yet a whole culture that holds this knowledge gets wiped out in the process?

Shrug, I studied Japanese for many years, and it's a beautiful language. I studied Arabic intensely for a little while and I can definitely verify that language learning gets easier as one goes on... Honestly, I think it can open up a lot of untapped human potential by bringing us not only into a different way of organizing thoughts, but also into a deeper ... more visceral sense of what it means to be a human.. a being with unlimited creative potential... The routes we use to talk about stuff can, to a certain extent, shape the flow of our actions and personalities.

For example, and this will sound unlikely and perhaps impossible to most Western readers, but there is no such thing as Sarcasm in Japan. If you go to Japan and eat something way unhealthy like KFC and say "Oh man this is sooo healthy yum" people will stop, look at you, and be like "um, actually I don't think it's all that healthy..."

There is a word for "sarcasm" -- hiniku - and nobody can explain it, because it doesn't really make any sense in that culture - being non-genuine is such a foreign concept (no pun intended). When I got back from being immersed in that culture for a little over a year I no longer felt like sarcasm was even fun, and I felt rather genuine ! People in the states were usually taken aback, which is another interesting side effect of cultural blending...

as usual this post has no coherent thought in mind, just some words I thought someone somewhere might find interesting ^.^
    Sile
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited October 2012
    @sova Spoken like a true linguist! I agree with everything in your first post. Exuberance is a good thing. :)

Let's bear in mind that @DaftChris is interested in learning a Buddhism-related language for reading, not necessarily for speaking. Some people simply do not have an ear for language, and struggle with languages in school. This wouldn't be a factor for D-C, necessarily, since his focus would be language for research/scripture. Even so, Chinese (or Japanese) can be challenging because of the characters. It's not a finite alphabet-type script, the combinations of elements in the characters are endless. People who have a good visual memory, more artistic types, do well with Chinese. On the other hand, even those without such inclinations (yours truly), have managed to make quite good progress with written Chinese, so anyone can do it, as sova said-- one step at a time.

@RebeccaS Russian is actually relevant to Buddhism, because of the Buddhist cultures in Russia. MA programs in Inner Asian Buddhism require Russian, in fact. Much has been written about Buddhism in Russian, and there are old Buddhist texts available in Russian. Knowing Russian, you could someday travel to the Mongol areas of Russia, and experience those cultures. Tuva and the Buryat Republic are pretty cool, and the scenery is breathtaking. The people are wonderful. There's a Tibetan Medicine institute there, and an institute devoted to studying Buddhism, and a Buddhist museum, IIRC, that you could visit, as well as temples and monasteries everywhere. Some people have old Tibetan texts in hidden closets at home, left over from when an uncle or grandfather-monk was taken away to the gulag. These are fascinating regions.
  • @Dakini I had no idea! I just wanted to read the originals of some of my favourite books :lol: That's so interesting.
    @Sova, I was actually talking more about languages that perhaps only a very few hured or a few thousand people use...perhaps only a very few villages, rather than what I'll loosely call a "national-cultural language". My first taste of this was in Thailand when a well-educated Thai friend and I went out to Issan (the northeast plateau). In the southern Issan area, my Thai friend had difficulty communicating with quite a few other Thais who spoke a dialect that could be described is Thai-Khmer (Thai-Cmabodian). Then we went maybe 100 miles toward northern Issan and he had a similar problem because that dialect was Thai-Lao.

I thought this map http://www.endangeredlanguages.com/#/3/-20.418/12.420/0/100000/0/low/mid/high/unknown was interesting.

And there's also a concern where language actually results in prejudice against certain groups. For example, it's not uncommon for a central Thai person to meet a Thai person who speaks the Thai-Lao dialect, and later say, "Those people are so nice. The most friendly people in Thailand. And so dumb!"

But as I said earlier, I'm torn between wanting to preserve history and culture, but also wanting people to be able to communicate fluently.

It's sort of like my view of the preservation of historic buildings. Being old doesn't make a building historic and worth preserving, in my view. But if it is a building that is truly historical, then we should do everything we an to preserve it. I think some of these languages are similar in that regard.
  • RebeccaS said:

@Dakini I had no idea! I just wanted to read the originals of some of my favourite books :lol: That's so interesting.

There's also a Buddhist monastery in St. Petersburg that was built during Czarist times. It was closed during the Soviet period, but it's been fully-functional since the 90's.

For a taste of exotic culture, with a little Buddhism thrown in, and an opp'ty to practice your Russian, see the film "Genghis Blues", about a blind jazz musician from San Francisco who teaches himself Tuvan, and travels to Tuva. Fabulous film, very heart-centered. Available from Amazon.

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    DaftChris said:

I'd say Tibetan and Sanskrit since most tantric and instructional texts are written in one or the other, many of which aren't translated into English.
    Sile
  • SileSile Veteran
    One thing to consider for people going heavy-duty into translation and analysis between Sanskrit and Chinese - the dialects of Chinese that were used for the early Sanskrit (or Prakrit) translations contained many sounds that are not preserved in Mandarin.

Modern Cantonese, Taiwanese and other more conservative dialects do preserve a lot of these Sanskrit sounds, on the other hand.

For example:

Sanskrit: Namo ākāśagarbhāya oṃ ārya kamari mauli svāhā.
    Taiwanese:
    Early Chinese: nom
    Mandarin: Nán-móu ā-jiā-shě-jiē-pó-yé, ǎn, ā lì, jiā me lì, mù lì, shā hē
    南牟%
  • vinlyn said:

DaftChris said:

I don't think it's worth it, particularly when trying to learn a new character set. I tried learning Thai...and did some...but wow...so much more difficult than learning another western language due to the character set and (in the case of Thai) different tonal sounds.

Best way to learn Thai is to live here. I have learnt 95% of my Thai outside of the classroom. Now however I am learing to read and write which is even harder than speaking it, it is as if when this language came into being, the people involved were very drunk. So many things have no logic whatsoever.
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited October 2012
    Sorry guys - a very garbled version of my post came through - apologies!

I'd found a better, simpler example which was:

Sanskrit: Buddha
    Taiwanese: Bud
    Mandarin: Fu
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    federica said:

Language is immaterial. Practice is vital.

But practice is described in the suttas and sutras, so understanding the language does matter. Though if you mean it's better to invest the time in meditation practice then I'd agree. ;)
  • SileSile Veteran
    Interesting exercise is to take your favorite paragraph from, say, the Dhammapada and read it again and again in as many translations and/or languages as you can find.
    DaftChris
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    If you are into Vajrayana, and you find a qualified teacher (who is almost certainly going to be Tibetan), you will find yourself endlessly chanting pujas in Tibetan. Our teacher provides an English translation and after a segment chanting in Tibetan, we recite it in English. Most of the time, while chanting Tibetan, I don't have a clue "what's going on".
    But Tibetan is not very easy to learn, and there are not many who teach it.

There are some teachers (mostly Westerners trained by Tibetans, and now qualified to teach) who stick to English.
    Not my karma to have one of them, apparently. But despite the difficulties, my teacher is an excellent example of how a Buddhist reacts to life around them, and an example is worth ... a lot, just from observing him. I appreciate the rare opportunity and good fortune to have a qualified teacher.
  • English should do fine. There are many good books on Buddhism in English. But I would like to think that all the books in whatever languages would finally teach the language of truth.
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited October 2012
    Many thousands of Tibetan Buddhist texts remain untranslated into English--I thought I'd seen a figure of 97% somewhere, but will have to check. These Tibetan works are themselves translations of Sanskrit works which are now lost. The same is true for many Chinese works. The thought of exploring and discovering the teachings waiting in these precious texts is one I find particularly exciting.

Even if one doesn't get to the point of reading fluency, it doesn't take too long to be able to at least transcribe the Tibetan into Wylie, for example, making it easier then for a deep translator to do his/her work. One can be part of the process that way, serve a great purpose, and still have some of the thrill of discovery :)
  • Sile said:

Interesting exercise is to take your favorite paragraph from, say, the Dhammapada and read it again and again in as many translations and/or languages as you can find.

cure for insomnia, if nothing else.
    DairyLama