Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Descartes the Buddhist?

I read the Discourse decades ago and have read it again recently.
I was strick by this passage from Discourse 3.
Does it seem like Buddhism to thee?
My third maxim was to endeavor always to conquer myself rather than fortune, and change my desires rather than the order of the world, and in general, accustom myself to the persuasion that, except our own thoughts, there is nothing absolutely in our power; so that when we have done our best in things external to us, all wherein we fail of success is to be held, as regards us, absolutely impossible: and this single principle seemed to me sufficient to prevent me from desiring for the future anything which I could not obtain, and thus render me contented; for since our will naturally seeks those objects alone which the understanding represents as in some way possible of attainment, it is plain, that if we consider all external goods as equally beyond our power, we shall no more regret the absence of such goods as seem due to our birth, when deprived of them without any fault of ours, than our not possessing the kingdoms of China or Mexico, and thus making, so to speak, a virtue of necessity, we shall no more desire health in disease, or freedom in imprisonment, than we now do bodies incorruptible as diamonds, or the wings of birds to fly with.

But I confess there is need of prolonged discipline and frequently repeated meditation to accustom the mind to view all objects in this light; and I believe that in this chiefly consisted the secret of the power of such philosophers as in former times were enabled to rise superior to the influence of fortune, and, amid suffering and poverty, enjoy a happiness which their gods might have envied. For, occupied incessantly with the consideration of the limits prescribed to their power by nature, they became so entirely convinced that nothing was at their disposal except their own thoughts, that this conviction was of itself sufficient to prevent their entertaining any desire of other objects; and over their thoughts they acquired a sway so absolute, that they had some ground on this account for esteeming themselves more rich and more powerful, more free and more happy, than other men who, whatever be the favors heaped on them by nature and fortune, if destitute of this philosophy, can never command the realization of all their desires.

musicJeffreySileBeej

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    yeah, but then he went and got it wrong with the "I think therefore I am" mistake.
    taiyakisovaDavid
  • federica said:

yeah, but then he went and got it wrong with the "I think therefore I am" mistake.

Not necessarily ... Thinking, seeking, wanting helps to strengthen a false sense of self .... I have read online about a concept of " selfing " which comes about from thinking and seeking our wants constantly. Just another and different way of looking at the statement.
  • i
    federica said:

I used to think this, in fact I think I introduced the idea to NB moons ago. I was mistaken.
    The ego is self verifying, as is the cogito.

It may be illusionary, but that illusion is real.

The cogitto is a subtle dharmic principle.... unlike Descartes reasonings that flow from it.

• Doesn't his philosophy sound more like advaita (with emphasis on self) rather than Buddhism?
  • PrairieGhostPrairieGhost Veteran
    edited October 2012
    Goethe, Marcus Aurelius, Spinoza, Diogenes, and many other western thinkers express similar views. As a civilisation, however, we ended up favouring the more practical Aristotle, and the more metaphysical Plato; the split between them perhaps representing the schizoid mind/matter dualism which western society has inherited.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2012
    Descartes: I think therefore I am
    Buddha: just thinking
  • Descartes was one of my faves when I studied philosophy. I've never thought of him as Buddhist, but the cogito is very similar to the notion of annata and pure awareness. All we can be certain of is our consciousness. I like this connection.
  • Trillion said:

Descartes was one of my faves when I studied philosophy. I've never thought of him as Buddhist, but the cogito is very similar to the notion of annata and pure awareness. All we can be certain of is our consciousness. I like this connection.

We have been rereading it here this weekend, it is an astounding text. Anyone who is blasé about it probably hasn't really read it.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Shouldn't it be "I am, therefore I think"?
    RebeccaS
  • ourself said:

Shouldn't it be "I am, therefore I think"?

I see two problems with that, asside from the fact I don't understand what you are trying to say:)

Your statement isn't self-verifying; the Cogito is.

Your statement would seem to rely on a hidden premise that all thinks that exist must think?

Unless I get it wrong:)

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited October 2012
    lol... It just means that it can only work one way.

We don't think before we exist, so it only makes sense that the reason I think is because I exist, not the other way around.

Not all things that exist will bother making a distinction... Only those of us that are aware of the self (even as it doesn't exist on its own) can make a statement either way.

The key is the "I".
  • ourself said:

We don't think before we exist, so it only makes sense that the reason I think is because I exist, not the other way around.

Not all things that exist will bother making a distinction... Only those of us that are aware of the self (even as it doesn't exist on its own) can make a statement either way.

The key is the "I".

Sure, I get that, but that's not what the Cogito is. Its a very special statement, if you think you can dismiss it easily by way of analogy to the antithesis of anataman then I think you probably don't get the Cogito, even if you do very much get anataman:) Please don't think me rude by pointing this out:)

• Concluding 'I am' is also not cognito, I think, as it is an elaboration. Senses and mind could be 'I', as they are cognito, but assigning them an 'I' is an elaboration of thinking. T
    tmottes

ourself said:

The key is the "I".

Sure, I get that, but that's not what the Cogito is. Its a very special statement, if you think you can dismiss it easily by way of analogy to the antithesis of anataman then I think you probably don't get the Cogito, even if you do very much get anataman:) Please don't think me rude by pointing this out:)

The Cogito itself isn't that hard to get though. I mean, the fact that we are here is enough to conclude that we are here. What is there to think about?

In fact, I'd say I'm more here when not thinking so it still seems like a case of putting Descartes before the horse.

I think therefore I am not fully here.
  • Jeffrey said:

Concluding 'I am' is also not cognito, I think, as it is an elaboration. Senses and mind could be 'I', as they are cognito, but assigning them an 'I' is an elaboration of thinking. T

Jeffry, "the cogito" is what the statement "I think there for I am" is known as. Is it hard to understand, not at all... is it hard to refute or diminish, I think very much so. Which is why so few thinkers have refuted it and those philosophers who have offered refutations have done so in no easy or small sense.

Do you see that I am not being patronising?:)

A child can understand the cogito. No child has, to the best of my knowledge, managed to refute the cogito, nor have any Buddhists, including myself, and I have tried.

I think the closest who has come to it was the Buddha in the concept "There is no thinker, only thought/s," but this is not a refutation, I think it is closer to the opposite, how about you?
  • ourself said:

The Cogito itself isn't that hard to get though. I mean, the fact that we are here is enough to conclude that we are here. What is there to think about?

Speaking frankly:

I can see that you haven't read and interpreted the process it came from in The Meditations and elsewhere. If you understood this you would know exactly what there is to think about. I hope you can go and read around the cogito and come back and go, "Oh yea, that's neat." as this is what rightly should happen.

Most probably, what with this being the internet... and all that... :)
    In fact, I'd say I'm more here when not thinking so it still seems like a case of putting Descartes before the horse.
    That is a pun which I can find no reasonable meaning to connect with what we are discussing!

namaste!
  • RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited October 2012

ourself said:

Speaking frankly:

I can see that you haven't read and interpreted the process it came from in The Meditations and elsewhere. If you understood this you would know exactly what there is to think about. I hope you can go and read around the cogito and come back and go, "Oh yea, that's neat." as this is what rightly should happen.

That is a pun which I can find no reasonable meaning to connect with what we are discussing!

namaste!

Cogito itself is incorrect. You do not exist simply because you think. Trees don't think, yet, here they are. Cogito is simply an intellectual process and is not equated with being. You ARE, regardless of the fact that you think.

ourself said:

Speaking frankly:

Oh goody a psychic. Please don't tell me how I should feel about things.

Just because I think he was making things harder than they need to be for himself doesn't mean I don't understand his reasoning or read his stuff. It's insightful and often times on the money but that doesn't mean I will accept everything he had to say without holding it up to scrutiny.

namaste!
    The horse would be reality... To me, it makes little to no difference at all if existence is illusion. We have to avoid obstacles anyways so it makes it real by default.

The Cogito is an excercise in redundancy to me. And yes, that's exactly how I should view it, thank you very much, lol.

Namaste right back at ya.

RebeccaS
  • ourself said:

Please don't tell me how I should feel about things.,

Truely, I am not. I am stating that I belive that you have not thought over the cogito enough. Or perhaps you have some meme or dogma about it. The cure is simply the reading of the great mans works on this artifact of his. I honstly dont think you have done this. I think this is analogous to me saying I got Buddhism just by knowing one Noble truth. Thats all I am saying, nothing personal or domatic:)
    It's insightful and often times on the money but that doesn't mean I will accept everything he had to say without holding it up to scrutiny.
    In simplicity can we stick to talking specifically about the cogito, not about anything else of his.

You have criticized the cogito and I have criticised your criticise, no egos need be involved.:)
    The horse would be reality... To me, it makes little to no difference at all if existence is illusion.
    Then I would say that I hope you have arrived at that conclusion from a long and searching path of self-discovery and truth seeking quest, rather than just because it is the kind of controversy that our egos love to get involved in.
    The Cogito is an excercise in redundancy to me. And yes, that's exactly how I should view it, thank you very much, lol.
    Just to clarify, I absolutely have not been telling you how to think. I have been being purely Cartesian in my criticism of you and am happy for you to be the same:)

Always keep learning! This is a key tennent of the eightfold path, especially right effort and right intention, as I understand them:)

Laters!:)

• I think the closest who has come to it was the Buddha in the concept "There is no thinker, only thought/s," but this is not a refutation, I think it is closer to the opposite, how about you?
    The thinker is not a separate phenomena from the thoughts.

ourself said:

Please don't tell me how I should feel about things.,

Truely, I am not. I am stating that I belive that you have not thought over the cogito enough. Or perhaps you have some meme or dogma about it. The cure is simply the reading of the great mans works on this artifact of his. I honstly dont think you have done this. I think this is analogous to me saying I got Buddhism just by knowing one Noble truth. Thats all I am saying, nothing personal or domatic:)
    It's insightful and often times on the money but that doesn't mean I will accept everything he had to say without holding it up to scrutiny.
    In simplicity can we stick to talking specifically about the cogito, not about anything else of his.

You have criticized the cogito and I have criticised your criticise, no egos need be involved.:)
    The horse would be reality... To me, it makes little to no difference at all if existence is illusion.
    Then I would say that I hope you have arrived at that conclusion from a long and searching path of self-discovery and truth seeking quest, rather than just because it is the kind of controversy that our egos love to get involved in.
    Just to clarify, I absolutely have not been telling you how to think. I have been being purely Cartesian in my criticism of you and am happy for you to be the same:)

Always keep learning! This is a key tennent of the eightfold path, especially right effort and right intention, as I understand them:)

Laters!:)

See, I can only go by your actual words. If you aren't telling me how I should feel about the Cogito then I caution against using phrases such as " I hope you can go and read around the cogito and come back and go, "Oh yea, that's neat." as this is what rightly should happen".

Yeah, I agree that learning is a good thing.

Have fun.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    andyrobyn said:

federica said:

Not necessarily ... Thinking, seeking, wanting helps to strengthen a false sense of self .... I have read online about a concept of " selfing " which comes about from thinking and seeking our wants constantly. Just another and different way of looking at the statement.
    Yes, "I think therefore I am" also illustrates that our sense of self depends on thinking.
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    @thickpaper - if you like Descartes, you'll love Michele du Montaigne... mais oui!
  • @thickpaper - if you like Descartes, you'll love Michele du Montaigne... mais oui!

I have heard of him but never read, so thanks for the recommendation!
  • Would it still make sense if it was changed to Thinking, therefore I am? haha

The biggest problem I have with the cogito is the assumption that I am thinking my thoughts. I am aware of thoughts and there is some sense of "control", but then there are those thoughts that just "pop" into my head. He could have easily said I see, hear, taste, smell, feel, therefore I am. Thoughts act no different in this respect than any other sense we have.
    tmottes said:

Thoughts act no different in this respect than any other sense we have.

I'm not sure. Isn't the point of practice to change the way we think?
  • tmottes said:

From a buddhist perspective yes... was that what Descarte was driving at when he formulated the cognito?
    tmottes said:

tmottes said:

From a buddhist perspective yes... was that what Descarte was driving at when he formulated the cognito?

I'm not sure. But it strikes me that "I think therefore I am" is reminiscent of the first 2 verses of the Dhammapada.
  • tmottes said:

tmottes said:

I'm not sure. But it strikes me that "I think therefore I am" is reminiscent of the first 2 verses of the Dhammapada.

It certainly could be interpreted in that manner. However, I feel that even if Descartes was aiming at that (which I personally don't think he was: see below)... he was only just knocking at the door so to speak. He hadn't penetrated thinking deeply enough.

From wikipedia
    Descartes also wrote a response to scepticism about the existence of the external world. He argues that sensory perceptions come to him involuntarily, and are not willed by him. They are external to his senses, and according to Descartes, this is evidence of the existence of something outside of his mind, and thus, an external world. Descartes goes on to show that the things in the external world are material by arguing that God would not deceive him as to the ideas that are being transmitted, and that God has given him the "propensity" to believe that such ideas are caused by material things.
  • thickpaperthickpaper Veteran
    edited October 2012
    tmottes said:

However, I feel that even if Descartes was aiming at that (which I personally don't think he was: see below)... he was only just knocking at the door so to speak. He hadn't penetrated thinking deeply enough.

It sounds like you haven't read the Discourse to me:)
  • EnigmaEnigma Explorer
    edited October 2012
    Descartes is refuted by nearly all tenets of Buddhist thought.

His "cogito ergo sum" (I think, therefore I am) resembles the "tat tvam asmi" (thou art that) of the atman doctrine. The Buddha expressly denied that either statement is true with the repeated verse "neso ham asmi" - I am not this. Descartes was attached to an enduring self, an immortal personhood, an eternal soul. In What the Buddha Taught by Walpola Rahula, the notion of "cogito ergo sum" is explicitly mentioned in stark contrast to the Buddha's teachings.

Descartes' Meditations are of an entirely different species than the various types of bhavana and jhana as taught by the Buddha.
  • Enigma said:

Descartes is refuted by nearly all tenets of Buddhist thought.

His "cogito ergo sum" (I think, therefore I am) resembles the "tat tvam asmi" (thou art that) of the atman doctrine. The Buddha expressly denied that either statement is true with the repeated verse "neso ham asmi" - I am not this. Descartes was attached to an enduring self, an immortal personhood, an eternal soul. In What the Buddha Taught by Walpola Rahula, the notion of "cogito ergo sum" is explicitly mentioned in stark contrast to the Buddha's teachings.

Descartes' Meditations are of an entirely different species than the various types of bhavana and jhana as taught by the Buddha.

I don't think he is refuted, I'm not even sure what a refutation would look like.

But yes I have long thought that selflessness is a counter to the cogito. The entire interpretation may be mistaken.
  • Another well intentioned giant giving us a boost to a joyous surrender, after spinning theories and weaving delusion.
  • jumbles said:

Another well intentioned giant giving us a boost to a joyous surrender, after spinning theories and weaving delusion.

You should read him sometime. Find the delusion.

• EnigmaEnigma Explorer

Discourse on the Method of Rightly Conducting the Reason, and Seeking Truth in the Sciences - Descartes

I found that the existence of the Being was comprised in the idea in the same way that the equality of its three angles to two right angles is comprised in the idea of a triangle, or as in the idea of a sphere, the equidistance of all points on its surface from the center, or even still more clearly; and that consequently it is at least as certain that God, who is this Perfect Being, is, or exists, as any demonstration of geometry can be.

http://www.literature.org/authors/descartes-rene/reason-discourse/chapter-04.html
  • Enigma said:

Discourse on the Method of Rightly Conducting the Reason, and Seeking Truth in the Sciences - Descartes

I found that the existence of the Being was comprised in the idea in the same way that the equality of its three angles to two right angles is comprised in the idea of a triangle, or as in the idea of a sphere, the equidistance of all points on its surface from the center, or even still more clearly; and that consequently it is at least as certain that God, who is this Perfect Being, is, or exists, as any demonstration of geometry can be.

http://www.literature.org/authors/descartes-rene/reason-discourse/chapter-04.html
    But do you not see that just pasting something you have searched for isn't understanding it. I could paste something from the Ahibdhama, I don't understand it. Descartes isn't as complex as that, but still, he cant really be understood without seeing his path and understanding it. So why don't you print out a copy of the Discourse, at least 1-4 and read it over a few times slowly. Thinking over each of the dense sentences. It is easily within the reach of anyone but takes effort, much like all the great texts of east and west do.

Understanding is past knowing.

• tmottestmottes Veteran
    edited October 2012

tmottes said:

However, I feel that even if Descartes was aiming at that (which I personally don't think he was: see below)... he was only just knocking at the door so to speak. He hadn't penetrated thinking deeply enough.

@thickpaper It sounds like you are so fixed on your view of how his writings should be interpreted that you can't see anything else as valid. Did you start this thread to discuss an idea or topic or did you start it to express your "rightness"? Telling others they don't truly understand it or haven't read it because they don't agree with your interpretation is disingenuous to a discussion.
    Enigma
  • EnigmaEnigma Explorer
    edited October 2012
    Why assume, with such arrogance, that someone hasn't read it just because their interpretation is different than yours? Descartes' Meditations, Discourse, and Passions have their own place on my bookshelf, and they are not accumulating dust. Examining all of them, especially as they relate to philosophy of mind, reveals huge discrepancies when compared to modern neuropsychology and ancient Buddhist philosophy, at least in my repeated reading.
  • Enigma said:

Why assume, with such arrogance, that someone hasn't read it just because their interpretation is different than yours? Descartes' Meditations, Discourse, and Passions have their own place on my bookshelf, and they are not accumulating dust. Examining all of them, especially as they relate to philosophy of mind, reveals huge discrepancies when compared to modern neuropsychology and ancient Buddhist philosophy, at least in my repeated reading.

Truly, it is not arrogance. I believe if you understood the rather obvious points of Descartes reasonings you would not have said what you said.

I dont think there is anything delusional about the line of the enquiry he takes, or his explanation of it. I think if you have read it you have read it only once, which isn't enough to understand it for even most able minds.

It is not arrogant to unemotionally speak our thoughts.

:)

• tmottes said:

tmottes said:

@thickpaper It sounds like you are so fixed on your view of how his writings should be interpreted that you can't see anything else as valid. Did you start this thread to discuss an idea or topic or did you start it to express your "rightness"? Telling others they don't truly understand it or haven't read it because they don't agree with your interpretation is disingenuous to a discussion.

I would hope if someone came here with a profound misunderstanding of the four noble truths then some would inform them of their misdirection. Why should it not be true of a similar calliber of great thought as Descartes is to Buddha?

If you have at best skimread the meditations then you do not understand it, in the same way as if you have just skim read the wonderful "What The Buddha Taught" would unlikely get you closer to The Dharma.

Also, of you understood the attitude of mind that Descartes describes in Discourse One then you would not jump at any plane statement that someone made without really thinking through your objection first.

I don't understand Quantum Mechanics, it doesn't make me stupid, you know.
  • EnigmaEnigma Explorer

Truly, it is not arrogance. I believe if you understood the rather obvious points of Descartes reasonings you would not have said what you said.

Likewise. Yet there is a difference in interpretation, as I see that Descartes is quite obviously deluded, having thoroughly dissected and comprehended his argument in my own studies, to the best of my ability.

I dont think there is anything delusional about the line of the enquiry he takes, or his explanation of it. I think if you have read it you have read it only once, which isn't enough to understand it for even most able minds.

I do think there is something entirely delusional about the line of enquiry he takes, having read the Discourse upwards of 10 times now. Yet the number of times is irrelevant. Early on, I thought Descartes' views were very Buddhist, but this was before I had investigated Buddhism deeply. The assumptions you make are are not only unwarranted but come across as close-minded and unwilling to hear out others' ideas if they are not in perfect alignment with your own.

It is not arrogant to unemotionally speak our thoughts.

An impression of arrogance is left when one brushes off all attempts at dialogue as uninformed by dismissing every contrary opinion as coming from those who have not read or understood to the level that oneself has. It's not conducive to meaningful exchange when the OP elevates oneself above others and continually tells others they have not read, or have not read thoroughly enough, to participate in the discussion.

:)

_/|\_
  • tmottes said:

tmottes said:

I would hope if someone came here with a profound misunderstanding of the four noble truths then some would inform them of their misdirection. Why should it not be true of a similar calliber of great thought as Descartes is to Buddha?

If you have at best skimread the meditations then you do not understand it, in the same way as if you have just skim read the wonderful "What The Buddha Taught" would unlikely get you closer to The Dharma.

Also, of you understood the attitude of mind that Descartes describes in Discourse One then you would not jump at any plane statement that someone made without really thinking through your objection first.

:banghead:
    thickpaperRebeccaS
  • tmottes said:

tmottes said:

tmottes said:

:banghead:
    This is what happens when we try to combine Descartes with Buddhism.
  • I don't know. He was a clever chap. His view was that mind and body are both two and one, which is a sophisticated view, and he saw that the material world can never be more than an hypothesis. His problem seems to have been that he could not see that anything would be left over once he took away (from himself) the thought and the thinker, but this is not much of a fault for someone who knew nothing of ideas like nonduality and co-dependent arising, and who had not read what the Buddha taught. Much of what he writes is worth reading imho.

In particular, he recognised that a dualism of mind and matter is not enough for a metaphysical theory and that we need another term, for which, like Berkeley later, he chose God. This is not a million miles from Buddhism, just still groping towards it.