Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Tips for Childbirth

Hi, I'm a little anxious about my upcoming labour in less than 2 weeks! Wondering if anyone has used some Buddhist practices to help: ease pain, keep calm, and provide a peaceful beginning for my new bub. Thank you! Michi :)

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Little late in the day to start asking....!
    When I was pregnant with my first daughter I made sure i knew about all the possible procedures, the pros cons whys and wherefores, and what decisions I might have to make on the spur of the moment. I stipulated I didn't want the umbilical cord cut until it had stopped pulsating, and I stipulated i didn't want an epidural because it means puncturing a disc, accessing the spinal cord and can lead to crippling back pain later in life, damage to the sciatic nerve and possible rupture of the disc at a later date.

Arm yourself with knowledge.

The more you know, the more you can relax. Ignorance makes you panic.

Read Sheila Kitzinger's Pregnancy and Childbirth. it has as much supportive info for the dad as for the mum. I found it an invaluable bible to have at hand, to the extent that other mums in the ward were coming to ME for advice!!
  • Yes it is a little late! hehe. Yes you're right, the more I read and learn the more confident I feel. Thanks for the book recommendation, I will try to find it, and my husband is sure to love it if it includes him as well, so many books forget the husbands!

Thanks for taking the time to write Federica,

Michi :)
  • NMADDPNMADDP SUN Diego, California Veteran
    Read or recite the "Sutra of The Past Vows of Earth Store Bodhisattva" and give the blessing to the baby. Either Mom or Dad or both can read or recite this sutra.

Earth Store Bodhisattva is also known as Ksitigarbha Bodhisattva.

Link to this sutra:
    http://www.cttbusa.org/ess/earthstore_contents.htm
    Metallica
  • ^NMADDP beat me to it! Totally agree with him. Chanting Medicine Buddha and Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva's names will also help. You have to be sincere though.

• Thanks a lot NMADDP and Metallica :)
  • Must be about time we offered puja and dedicated practice for Michi . . .
    May all our mothers be blessed . . .

OM YA HA HUM
  • Remember when you're having a baby, you're doing something even the Buddha couldn't do.
    lobsterVastmind