Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Does anyone still support Lance Armstrong?

after the recent saga, what are your thoughts?

Comments

• BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    I support his right to reap what he sowed. Karma, baby.
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited October 2012
    To me, Lance Armstrong will always represent the truth that it's possible to survive advanced stage, widely-metastasized cancer.

For the strong of heart, I highly recommend his book, (now ironically) entitled It's Not About the Bike: My Journey Back to Life.
  • I do. But that's because I don't know who he is.
    DaltheJigsaw
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    There will still be some, probably including on this forum, who will say if he has not been convicted in a court of law, then he is innocent. That's a good example of blind faith from the type of Buddhist who probably doesn't accept their own karma since it wasn't handed down from a court of law.

The preponderance of reports certainly suggest he did use unauthorized substances. And it gets down to whether you want to believe the one person or the many.
  • This is something that Mr. Armstrong will have to work out for himself. In life you will make choices and with those choices comes great responsibility; for those choices can and will have a great impact on you and all around you.
    pyramidsong
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    I still support him of course! He is a human being who made mistakes (like we all have).

I would encourage him to come out and be humble and honest. Having read one of his books though (and heard second hand stories about him) I get the impression he has a rather large ego and this might be a step too far for him.

The fact he hasn't tried to deny or beat the charges speaks volumes...
    andyrobyn
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    edited October 2012
    Perhaps someone could fill me in? what did he do now? Broadstroke it please.
  • Steroid abuse. Although he never failed a drug test, it seems the evidence is stacked against him.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    Oh I see. Well, I don't exactly believe in him as an all-star athlete then, but he did give me hope that even advanced cancer is survivable. However guilty is guilty, no matter what challenges he has overcome beforehand.
  • Maybe someone else can explain what the evidence is that they convicted him on. I'm not clear about it.
  • Thanks for that. It doesn't leave much room for doubt.
  • It is not easy to keep lying for so many years.
  • Sometimes I think drugs should just be legalised and it would save everyone a lot of trouble.
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    Daozen said:

Sometimes I think drugs should just be legalised and it would save everyone a lot of trouble.

Not a good image for the kiddies though.......

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    He's a very naughty boy... :p
    lobster
  • I was quite disappointed to find out that he'd been doing this for so long. I can't say I support him.

I'm just happy it wasn't one of my favorite athletes like Derek Jeter or someone. That would kill me. Figuratively, of course.
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited October 2012
    I must confess to never having understood the jock mentality or really cared who could hit a ball the farthest or peddle a bicycle up a mountain fastest. I feel sorry for all the racers who followed the rules, didn't pump themselves full of steroids and ended up in fifth place or so when they should have won and gotten the acknowledgement. What about all those people? While I feel compassion for Armstrong, I don't excuse his behavior because he knew that he was cheating those people out of their deserved wins. And the shame of it is, he might have been good enough to win without cheating, but now he'll never know. He let those millions in endorsements rob him of his pride.

And I wonder if abusing steroids is what caused his cancer in the first place, and how many other athletes have hurt themselves in that quest for fame and fortune. After all, at this level it's not a sport, it's a full time career and if they don't win, they don't get the millions in endorsements.

I believe people have the right to mess up their own bodies for whateve reason, money or fame or glory. People do it all the time. Our movie stars have multiple plastic surgeries and botox injections to compete with the younger stars and we don't bat an eye. But I also believe people should obey the rules in competition and tests, because of the hurt you do to others and yourself if you cheat.
    pyramidsong
  • I_AM_THAT said:

This is something that Mr. Armstrong will have to work out for himself. In life you will make choices and with those choices comes great responsibility; for those choices can and will have a great impact on you and all around you.

Exactly this. I don't have strong feelings on it. Maybe because I'm not a sports fan, maybe not. But I'm guessing the shame, humiliation and being stripped of his legacy are his living punishment.

I don't think he's evil. I think his actions were stupid and ego-driven,
    sndymornlobster
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited October 2012
    I'm not sure I see the point of censuring him, when apparently everyone he was competing with was doing the same. In the future, how are they going to control for all the contestants? If he was able to pass the tests undetected, then how do you address the problem? What's the point of having the bike competitions at all?
    :confused:
    pyramidsong
  • Didn't this guy go to the moon and come back? Why is he now riding bicycles?
    pyramidsongReborn
    I hope you're joking...and even if you are, it's a stale joke.
  • music said:

Didn't this guy go to the moon and come back? Why is he now riding bicycles?

Neil Armstong is the astronaut.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Dakini said:

What's the point of having the bike competitions at all?

Good question. Like with most competitive sport... :p
  • Bunks said:

Daozen said:

Sometimes I think drugs should just be legalised and it would save everyone a lot of trouble.

Why? If it's legal, it's OK, right? ;)
    Daozen said:

Bunks said:

Daozen said:

Why? If it's legal, it's OK, right? ;)
    I hope you don't equate legality with something being "right".

• if you want to take part, you play by the rules.
    if many people break the rules, then we do away with the rules?
    testing for doping is a cat n mouse game.
    the cheaters will come out with new , innovative ways to cheat.
    it takes some time for the testers to develop new tests to catch the cheats.
    it is similar to a burglar breaking into your house.
    when you realise how the burglar got in, you take measures to prevent it from happening again.
    as for legalising all drugs-use in sports, our society is not prepared to do that for now.
    we cant even legalise drugs for recreational purposes.
    Dakini said:

I'm not sure I see the point of censuring him, when apparently everyone he was competing with was doing the same. In the future, how are they going to control for all the contestants? If he was able to pass the tests undetected, then how do you address the problem? What's the point of having the bike competitions at all?

• DaozenDaozen Veteran
    edited October 2012
    vinlyn said:

I hope you don't equate legality with something being "right".

Note the 'winky face'.

However, I do seriously think there is some merit in the legalisation of drugs in sport.

Here's an article that lays out the case: http://bit.ly/SxxJx1

• hermitwin said:

if you want to take part, you play by the rules.
    if many people break the rules, then we do away with the rules?
    it takes some time for the testers to develop new tests to catch the cheats.

So the Olympic C'tee is in the process of developing new tests? I hadn't heard this. I wasn't aware that this was being discussed. This aspect of the controversy hasn't been in the media, AFAIK.

• I wonder what happens if you take steroids and then don't work out just sit on the coach eating chips?
    Jeffrey, I wouldn't suggest sitting on the coach -- he might kick you off the team.
  • sitting on his lap will be fine.
    vinlyn said:

Jeffrey, I wouldn't suggest sitting on the coach -- he might kick you off the team.

• it wont make you a super athlete, just a weird guy with anger issues.
    Jeffrey said:

I wonder what happens if you take steroids and then don't work out just sit on the coach eating chips?

Reborn