Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Ignorance

SilouanSilouan Veteran
edited September 2012 in Buddhism Today
It is my understanding that the primordial eternal essence of mind is unchanging and without defining characteristics, and that the deluded or ignorant states of beings stem from a beginning less and endless chain of causes and conditions resulting from negative karmic actions. karma being an instance of the natural law of cause and affect that involves intentional action and therefore an agent.

The Heart Sutra states that form is emptiness, and emptiness is not other than form. There appears to be no dichotomy between the two. Form is not to be negated, but evidence of emptiness. However form is subject to change the other not. This does not seem plausible that they retain their separate implied natures or modes if there is no distinction or separation of the two. They are mutually dependent. Either they both are unchanging or subject to change.

Since the primordial essence of the mind is pure and unchanging how or why does it create volitional acts the are rooted in ignorance which is the source of suffering?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    What makes you think you as a 'self' cannot influence your 'Mind'? This is what Kamma is - simply volitional action.
    what makes you think Self/Not-Self and Mind are separate?
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    I would try reading a commentary to the Heart Sutra in order to understand it correctly the Heart Sutra is the most condensed form of the Perfection of Wisdom Sutra's varying from below 1000 lines to 100,000 lines of wisdom understanding the nature of phenomena.

To answer your last question the Primordial mind which is actually our very subtle mind as eluded to in the tantra's which is pure and unchanging, we have no direct control over its being as of yet and as a result we experience grosser states of consciousness through not having a full insight of our own nature and as a result we develop the various minds of Ignorance specifically the Ignorance of Self-grasping which perpetuates and gives rise to the Ignorance of Self-cherishing which in turn gives rise to the minds associated with Self-cherishing, anger, hatred, attachment, jealousy, intellectually formed delusions etc. (There are said to be 84,000 delusions and 84,000 methods of Buddha teachings with which to destroy them ) These Ignorances are a result of obscure cognition rather then a result of the primordial mind itself as the result and the cause cannot be one in the same or there would be no chance of enlightenment or there would be even no chance of even eliminating a negativity in the mind because our actual nature would be that of Ignorance rather then that of clear awareness as various Sutra's and Tantra's describe the mind of a fully awakened one.
    federicaRebeccaSseeker242
  • @Caz
    I have read commentaries on the Heart Sutra, phenomena, karma, etc.. , and I'm aware of what you pointed out having been a Buddhist for a number of years. Perhaps since I now believe in God I lack the tools to understand dependent origination. Your commentary was informative, but it did not address my fundamental question.

Despite the 'subtle conciouness' having a pure nature there is no clear explanation as to why a being would fall into ignorance from a pristne state. That is unless it is implied that ignorance is the beginnigless state of all beings.
    Silouan said:

@Caz
    I have read commentaries on the Heart Sutra, phenomena, karma, etc.. , and I'm aware of what you pointed out having been a Buddhist for a number of years. Perhaps since I now believe in God I lack the tools to understand dependent origination. Your commentary was informative, but it did not address my fundamental question.

Despite the 'subtle conciouness' having a pure nature there is no clear explanation as to why a being would fall into ignorance from a pristne state. That is unless it is implied that ignorance is the beginnigless state of all beings.

That is a bit above my station to be honest @Silouan when Buddha looked with his Divine eye he could see no beginning to Samsara so since beginning-less time the causes of Samsara have been in place but it does not mean however that the cause is the same as our essential untapped Buddha nature which according to the Madhyamika school is actual A latent potential rather than an innate feature so if it was a latent potential instead of an Innate phenomena it would make slightly more sense then one actually falling into Ignorance from a pristine state but rather as is continuously referred to in Buddha's teachings that there is no actual beginning to cyclic phenomena but that all cycles can be broken, I think maybe your question would be better answered by a Geshe.
    Silouanpersonseeker242
  • @Caz
    I think your explanation is insightful in helping me to progress to a better understanding. Thank you for the advice too. :)
    caz
  • If phenomena are accepted as cyclic, could there ever be a beginning or an end? A straight
    Iine begins somewhere, ends somewhere. A circle, otoh ...
  • Silouan:
    Since the primordial essence of the mind is pure and unchanging how or why does it create volitional acts the are rooted in ignorance which is the source of suffering?
    Think of pure Mind as pure gold. For the sake of discussion, imagine that people only know the shapes of gold. Their entire world is made from gold in countless shapes. But attached to shape they can't see gold. For ages, these same people bemoaned their poverty. They robbed from each other, etc. There life is hell, in other words.

We are no different. The entire universe is nothing more than a configuration of pure Mind. The Buddha wants us to see pure Mind but we prefer our defiled minds. It's more fun for us to suffer needlessly, rather than behold pure Mind (bodhicitta).
    music said:

If phenomena are accepted as cyclic, could there ever be a beginning or an end? A straight
    Iine begins somewhere, ends somewhere. A circle, otoh ...

Cycles can be broken they are only perpetuate because the causes are there for it to continue.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Yes, cycles do begin and end.
  • Hi @Caz, I'm still going to follow your advice, but It seems to me it is both linear and cyclical. Like a wheel moving on a road. First it is motionless, then begins spinning, keeps moving on the until it is broken or stopped which is the end.
  • thickpaperthickpaper Veteran
    edited September 2012
    Silouan said:

It is my understanding that the primordial eternal essence of mind is unchanging and without defining characteristics, and that the deluded or ignorant states of beings stem from a beginning less and endless chain of causes and conditions resulting from negative karmic actions. karma being an instance of the natural law of cause and affect that involves intentional action and therefore an agent.

I like that description:)
    Because these phenomena are emergent; they are not in the parts but they arise from the parts. (BTW: I think understanding emergence (which is child's play) is a really useful tool to help understand this foundational aspect of dharma.)
    person
    Silouan said:

Hi @Caz, I'm still going to follow your advice, but It seems to me it is both linear and cyclical. Like a wheel moving on a road. First it is motionless, then begins spinning, keeps moving on the until it is broken or stopped which is the end.

It is not like a bike that is pushed onto the road as that is another cause of the wheel spining in a long succession of causes which helped it come into being so it cannot be linear but a continual cycle of cause and effect since time without beginning as Buddha said.
    RebeccaS
  • @Caz
    That would be the understanding I had as a Buddhist too.
    caz
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited September 2012
    Silouan said:

The Heart Sutra states that form is emptiness, and emptiness is not other than form. There appears to be no dichotomy between the two. Form is not to be negated, but evidence of emptiness. However form is subject to change the other not. This does not seem plausible that they retain their separate implied natures or modes if there is no distinction or separation of the two. They are mutually dependent. Either they both are unchanging or subject to change.

Admittedly, I'm not very faimiliar with the Heart Sutra, but the way I see it, emptiness = change in this context since emptiness is analogous to dependent co-arising, so there's no real logical issues here as far as I can see. In other words, that which appears solid and existing from its own side, possessing its own-nature (sabhava), is, in reality, empty of inherent existence due to its inconstant, transitory, and dependently arisen nature.

Form is an expression of emptiness, then, since it's a dependently arisen phenomenon, arising out of causes and conditions, and therefore empty of an inherent, unchanging nature that can be said to exist from its own side. And the same applies to the other aggregates as well. Emptiness itself isn't a thing, it's a process of change; and it's being used here as a tool to remove clinging to that which is ultimately stressful, inconstant, and not-self. This lack of own-nature (nihsvabhava) on the part of the aggregates means that they're not fit to be clung to as 'me' or 'mine' since they're more like illusions or globs of foam than something of substance (SN 22.95).

But emptiness itself shouldn't be reified into some kind of ultimate viewpoint, or as some kind of unchanging thing to replace form (or any of the aggregates or combination thereof) as the object of our attachment. In my opinion, the teachings on emptiness are primarily geared towards the removal of clinging — especially clinging to views and clinging to doctrines of self — not something to be clung to themselves. As Nagarjuna warns in MMK 13.8:
    The Victorious Ones have announced that emptiness is the relinquishing of all views. Those who are possessed of the view of emptiness are said to be incorrigible.
    Cloud
  • @Jason
    Thank you for providing the insight.

From this can we then infer that karma, as an instance of the law of cause and effect, is only applicable if and when it affects the experience of beings, and that despite the clear light luminosity of the mind it is only a potential therefore there is no original or pure state of being?

Furthermore, can we then say that the doctrine of dependent origination is used as the basis to refute or negate from a Buddhist perspective the notion of a "Creator God"?
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited September 2012
    Silouan said:

From this can we then infer that karma, as an instance of the law of cause and effect, is only applicable if and when it affects the experience of beings, and that despite the clear light luminosity of the mind it is only a potential therefore there is no original or pure state of being?

The answer to that depends on a number of factors, such as what teachings one accepts and how one interprets those teachings, personal experience, etc. Some, for example, would say that there's no original or pure state of being per se. Others would say that our minds are originally pure. As for myself, I don't know. I don't have an kind of personal, awakening insight in this area, so much of my ideas are based on things I've read, my own reflection, etc., and I don't have a firm opinion one way or the other.

I supposed if I were pressed on the matter, though, I'd say that it's ultimately an irrelevant question from a practical standpoint, and the idea of a luminous mind is only useful insofar as it refers to a potentiality, i.e., the mind that the meditator is trying to develop, free from defilements. In this, I agree with Thanissaro Bhikkhu, who writes in his note to his translation of AN 1.49-52:
    A more reasonable approach to understanding the statement [i.e., "Luminous, monks, is the mind"] can be derived from taking it in context: the luminous mind is the mind that the meditator is trying to develop. To perceive its luminosity means understanding that defilements such as greed, aversion, or delusion are not intrinsic to its nature, are not a necessary part of awareness. Without this understanding, it would be impossible to practice. With this understanding, however, one can make an effort to cut away existing defilements, leaving the mind in the stage that MN 24 calls "purity in terms of mind." This would correspond to the luminous level of concentration described in the standard simile for the fourth jhana: "And furthermore, with the abandoning of pleasure & pain — as with the earlier disappearance of elation & distress — he enters & remains in the fourth jhana: purity of equanimity & mindfulness, neither-pleasure-nor-pain. He sits, permeating the body with a pure, bright awareness. Just as if a man were sitting covered from head to foot with a white cloth so that there would be no part of his body to which the white cloth did not extend; even so, the monk sits, permeating the body with a pure, bright awareness. There is nothing of his entire body unpervaded by pure, bright awareness." From this state it is possible to develop the discernment that not only cuts away existing defilements but also uproots any potential for them to ever arise again. Only in the stages of Awakening that follow on those acts of discernment would "consciousness without feature" be realized.
    If we happen, in the process of our practice, to realize our 'true mind,' which is intrinsically pure and free from defilements, or simply remove the defilements from a mind that's not intrinsically pure, but now luminous and free from defilements, I don't think it really matters. Either way, our minds will be liberated and we'll discern that 'Birth is ended, the holy life fulfilled, the task done. There is nothing further for the sake of this world.'
    Silouan said:

Furthermore, can we then say that the doctrine of dependent origination is used as the basis to refute or negate from a Buddhist perspective the notion of a "Creator God"?

It's not really used that way in the Suttas, as the purpose of the teachings on dependent co-arising is to help illustrate the psychological process by which suffering arises in the mind and not refute the notion of a divine creator; but the logic of dependent co-arising, when applied to cosmology, can certainly be used to negate the idea of a divine creator in that it precludes a first cause or a causeless cause.
    Silouan
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    @Jason said...
    "If we happen, in the process of our practice, to realize our 'true mind,' which is intrinsically pure and free from defilements, or simply remove the defilements from a mind that's not intrinsically pure, but now luminous and free from defilements, I don't think it really matters. Either way, our minds will be liberated and we'll discern that 'Birth is ended, the holy life fulfilled, the task done. There is nothing further for the sake of this world.'

:clap:
  • @Jason
    Thank you for sharing your insight.

The Dalai Lama has said too that the doctrine can be used to negate or refute the existence of a creator god. It should be quite effective in this regards in addressing the concepts or ideas of gods that aren't distinct from their creation and viewed as part of the chain of causal processes.

However, it is deficient and limited when attempting to explain creation ex nihilo or ‘out of nothing’ from the One who is without origin, uncreated, and beyond space and time that dwells in divine darkness. The One is quite different from the gods known in the Buddha's time. The Buddha was not able to penetrate into to the divine darkness, because he was relying strictly upon his own wisdom and knowledge.

The God of Psalms "who made darkness his secret place" cannot be approached through the intellect or knowledge, but through an apophatic ascent of the stripping away of concepts and ideas in movement towards ignorance.

St. Gregory Palamas states: "The super-essential nature of God is not subject for speech or thought or even contemplation, for it is removed from all the exists and more than unknowable, being founded upon the uncircumscribed might of celestial spirits-incomprehensible and ineffable to all for ever. There is no name whereby it can be named, neither in this age nor in the age to come, nor word found in the soul and uttered by the tongue, nor contact whether sensible or intellectual, nor yet any image which may afford any knowledge of its subject, if this is not the perfect incomprehensibility which one acknowledges in denying all that can be named. None can properly name its essence or nature if he be truly seeking the truth that is above all truth. For if God be nature, then all else is not nature. If that which is not God be nature, God is not nature and likewise He is not being if that which is not God is being."

St. John Damascene states: "God, then, is infinite and incomprehensible, and all that is comprehensible about Him is His infinity and incomprehensibility. God does not belong to the class of existing things: not that He has no existence, but that He is above all existing things, nay even above existence itself. For if all forms of knowledge have to with what exists, assuredly that which is above knowledge must certainly be above essence, and conversely, that which is above essence will also be above knowledge".

In this way we are not attempting to remove ignorance, but that of acquiring ignorance very much the opposite. :)
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Silouan said:

There seem to be different ways of thinking about this. When I look at the teaching on dependent origination I have the impression that ignorance is actually the "default" position. So the goal of Buddhist practice is the abandoning and cessation of ignorance, which leads to the cessation of suffering.
    edited September 2012
    God isn't here. You are looking for a Inherently existent god where there is none to be found. There is no Phenomena that is not dependent upon another and thus no originator if god was Independent of other phenomena then it could neither be perceived or communicated with nor would it have any way of interacting with the world because in order to do so it would have to become a dependent entity thus refuting itself and its claim to being the almighty creator in the process, those who posit a creator that creates its own succeeding existence are fooling their selves in a illogicality that doesn't correspond with the mode of existence of anything.

• Be still and know that I am God.
    lobster
    Silouan said:

Be still and know that I am God.

There are many claimants to that title and all of them remind me of the Maha Brahma who imagined he created the heavens and the world because he was the first to find himself in it. Biblical platitudes do not really cut it because they usually ascribe Inherent existence which is another tried and refuted method of Brahmanism vs the DO and therefore lacks an originator, even material scientific investigation suggested that phenomena correspond with such rather then being definitively originated.
  • @Caz
    If that's the idea or concept you have then thats what you have.

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited October 2012
    The easy ones first eh . . . ;)

In theistic terms, it is to share the experience of divinity.
    In Buddhist terms, 'no shit' . . . or to put it another way:
    Bodhidharma said: "Vast emptiness, nothing holy."
  • Lobster:

The emperor says to Bodhidharma: "Who stands before me?" (對朕者誰)
    Bodhidharma repliies: "Imperceptible" (不識).

If you've personally experienced the "imperceptible", the emperor wasn't shortchanged by the clever old rascal Bodhidharma.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    caz said:

... those who posit a creator that creates its own succeeding existence are fooling their selves in a illogicality that doesn't correspond with the mode of existence of anything.

So what caused the big bang?
    ;)
  • tmottestmottes Veteran
    edited October 2012

;)

Where is the starting point on a circle? or infinity sign?

caz said:

... those who posit a creator that creates its own succeeding existence are fooling their selves in a illogicality that doesn't correspond with the mode of existence of anything.

;)

The dissolution of the previous Universe ;) Samsara being cyclic and the end of the Universe only means the beginning of a new one.
    Bunks
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Ah, now there's a good example of Buddhism being a more scientific religion!
  • It depends upon the notion or concept you are positing. Apophatically speaking, if God exists then you don't.
  • If your understanding is that of a universe with reoccurring bangs there are other scientific opinions to the contrary, such as an accelerating universe, as recent Nobel Prize physicists suggest:

nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics/laureates/2011/press.html
  • The Heart Sutra states that form is emptiness, and emptiness is not other than form. There appears to be no dichotomy between the two. Form is not to be negated, but evidence of emptiness. However form is subject to change the other not. This does not seem plausible that they retain their separate implied natures or modes if there is no distinction or separation of the two. They are mutually dependent. Either they both are unchanging or subject to change.
    :)
    This quote of the Lotus Sutra is beyond plausibility or comprehension. I contemplate it daily.
    Something may be true but not comprehensible (almighty Cod - can it be true?)
    A similar example is the trinity, 3 fish in one tale.
    The important thing is whether we need an answer. The Buddha did not.
    Neither do you or I. The wisdom of Cod is foolishness . . . and all that . . .
    Because that which the world deems foolish in God is wiser than men's wisdom, and that which it deems feeble in God is mightier than men's might.
    as it says in some book of fishes . . .
    All is vanity
    as it says in some proverb, saying or recipe . . .
  • Holy crap I feel like an eight year old in here. I barely understand anything that's going on here. Boy am I an example of ignorant.

:(
    FullCircle
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited October 2012

Holy crap I feel like an eight year old in here. I barely understand anything that's going on here. Boy am I an example of ignorant.
    :(

Good for you....I mean that, Hold on to it. Guard your lack of understanding, Dont learn to play the "spiritual " game . Dont learn to play off opinions against other opinions.

" Spring comes, the grass grows by itself ".
    ZeroFullCircle
  • Lobster:
    This quote of the Lotus Sutra is beyond plausibility or comprehension.
    Yes, that's the whole point, isn't it? To the intellect, life is impossible. Not a single statement about 'consciousness' holds up under scrutiny. Not even scrutiny endures.
  • Hi Silouan:
    Because words are just squiggles on the page.

When you experience whatever it is that we're to experience, you understand how it couldn't be any other way.
  • FlorianFlorian Veteran
    edited October 2012
    Silouan - I I seem to be too stupid to figure out the quotes system, so pardon the formatting. I'll put my responses after some dashes.
    Silouan said:

@Jason
    Thank you for sharing your insight.

"The Dalai Lama has said too that the doctrine can be used to negate or refute the existence of a creator god. It should be quite effective in this regards in addressing the concepts or ideas of gods that aren't distinct from their creation and viewed as part of the chain of causal processes.

However, it is deficient and limited when attempting to explain creation ex nihilo or ‘out of nothing’ from the One who is without origin, uncreated, and beyond space and time that dwells in divine darkness. The One is quite different from the gods known in the Buddha's time. The Buddha was not able to penetrate into to the divine darkness, because he was relying strictly upon his own wisdom and knowledge."

---Do you imagine that the Buddha relied on 'his own' wisdom and knowledge? Do you know so much that you can state that he did? I think you are missing something important in all this.

"The God of Psalms "who made darkness his secret place" cannot be approached through the intellect or knowledge, but through an apophatic ascent of the stripping away of concepts and ideas in movement towards ignorance."

---Quite. Just as the Buddha says, and as Nagarjuna logically proves and as Hegel concluded from logic etc. This would be a phenomenon that is not an instance of any category, about which we cannot speak or think for this reason.

"St. Gregory Palamas states: "The super-essential nature of God is not subject for speech or thought or even contemplation, for it is removed from all the exists and more than unknowable, being founded upon the uncircumscribed might of celestial spirits-incomprehensible and ineffable to all for ever. There is no name whereby it can be named, neither in this age nor in the age to come, nor word found in the soul and uttered by the tongue, nor contact whether sensible or intellectual, nor yet any image which may afford any knowledge of its subject, if this is not the perfect incomprehensibility which one acknowledges in denying all that can be named. None can properly name its essence or nature if he be truly seeking the truth that is above all truth. For if God be nature, then all else is not nature. If that which is not God be nature, God is not nature and likewise He is not being if that which is not God is being."

St. John Damascene states: "God, then, is infinite and incomprehensible, and all that is comprehensible about Him is His infinity and incomprehensibility. God does not belong to the class of existing things: not that He has no existence, but that He is above all existing things, nay even above existence itself. For if all forms of knowledge have to with what exists, assuredly that which is above knowledge must certainly be above essence, and conversely, that which is above essence will also be above knowledge"."

---Quite. Just as the Budda says in less theistic words. He would be 'beyond the coincidence of contradictories' in the language you are using. As the Upanishads ask, how can there be understanding when there is nothing to be understood but the understander, and no dualism of the two? Your theistic view is not inconsistent with Buddhism, it seems to me,but is just a different way of saying it.

"In this way we are not attempting to remove ignorance, but that of acquiring ignorance very much the opposite. "

---Yes. Everyday we throw something away.

• @Florian

No worries about the quote thing. I can’t figure the thing out either.

To answer your questions from my perspective:

No, I don't know it all. The mountain has not fallen into to the sea, and divine ignorance is far from me.

Not imagination, but through inference. The proclamation in Buddhism that enlightenment comes entirely through one's own effort is widely accepted, and as far as I understand it that would include the reliance upon one's own wisdom and knowledge acquired.

However, I see my error in assuming that he would even attempt such a thing. He did not receive the revelation from above which Christ came to give us, and that revelation was that He and the Father are one, that before Abraham existed He was, that all authority in heaven and on earth was given to Him, and that if you have seen Him you have seen the Father.

The Buddha did not claim to have existed from all eternity, nor did he claim to posses the eternal destinies of all human persons, nor did he claim to be equal to God the Father, and to have all authority in the world.

His teachings are applicable to his understanding of the world that was influenced by his culture and the natural world, and the application of dependent origination assumes that creator gods must fit into certain types of constructs and within the natural world that makes the doctrine of emptiness valid when applied to them.

However, if the doctrine of emptiness can be used apophatically to remove these conceptual attachments about God entirely then I think that this could be the point but there are many, including the Dalai Lama, still attached to various conceptual notions.

For the Dalai Lama to say that a Christian shouldn't delve too deeply into the doctrine, because it might undermine their belief in a creator god shows that he is still clinging to some notion(s) regarding a creator god, and/or implying that those with less faculty wouldn't understand it to be effectual.

The point I would make is that if one relies upon his or her effort alone these conceptions will remain in some form, because ultimately it requires kenosis or self emptiness with the submission of our will in all humility to the will of God, and not emptiness. When strictly relying upon one's own effort alone there will be a residual amount of subtle pride or false humility present, and God resists the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.

My question to you is how does emptiness undermine the Creator, the One, who dwells in Divine Darkness?
  • Silouan:
    Your question is really asking what is the beginning of ignorance—and you assume that the 'primordial essence of mind' is the beginning of ignorance. So what does the Buddha have to say about this?
    "The first beginning of ignorance (avijjâ/avidya) is not to be perceived in such away as to postulate that there is no ignorance beyond a certain point" (A. v. 113). (trans. Rahula)
    The Buddha sees beings to have the Buddha-nature or if you like, pure Mind. So why don't all beings recognize it? Why, instead, do they chase after illusions with their illusory bodies undergoing countless illusory births and deaths? The answer is they are ignorant. According to the Buddha, there is no first beginning of ignorance. There is, however, liberation from ignorance by achieving gnosis of pure Mind. Then looking at the world from the standpoint of sambodhi, truly nothing has ever been born or has died. Nothing really exists. There is only Mind (cittamatra). This is the state of anutpattikadharmakshanti. D.T. Suzuki sheds some light on anutpattikadharmakshanti:
    “This is the recognition that nothing has been born or created in the world, that when things are seen yathâbhûtam from the point of view of absolute knowledge, they are Nirvana itself, are not at all subject to birth-and-death” (Studies In The Lankavatara Sutra, 381).

Silouan
  • @Songhill
    I have a copy of the Lankavatara Sutra, and will examine it more closely. Thank you.
    Silouan said:

@Florian

No worries about the quote thing. I can’t figure the thing out either.

To answer your questions from my perspective:

No, I don't know it all. The mountain has not fallen into to the sea, and divine ignorance is far from me.

Not imagination, but through inference. The proclamation in Buddhism that enlightenment comes entirely through one's own effort is widely accepted, and as far as I understand it that would include the reliance upon one's own wisdom and knowledge acquired.

However, I see my error in assuming that he would even attempt such a thing. He did not receive the revelation from above which Christ came to give us, and that revelation was that He and the Father are one, that before Abraham existed He was, that all authority in heaven and on earth was given to Him, and that if you have seen Him you have seen the Father.

The Buddha did not claim to have existed from all eternity, nor did he claim to posses the eternal destinies of all human persons, nor did he claim to be equal to God the Father, and to have all authority in the world.

His teachings are applicable to his understanding of the world that was influenced by his culture and the natural world, and the application of dependent origination assumes that creator gods must fit into certain types of constructs and within the natural world that makes the doctrine of emptiness valid when applied to them.

However, if the doctrine of emptiness can be used apophatically to remove these conceptual attachments about God entirely then I think that this could be the point but there are many, including the Dalai Lama, still attached to various conceptual notions.

For the Dalai Lama to say that a Christian shouldn't delve too deeply into the doctrine, because it might undermine their belief in a creator god shows that he is still clinging to some notion(s) regarding a creator god, and/or implying that those with less faculty wouldn't understand it to be effectual.

The point I would make is that if one relies upon his or her effort alone these conceptions will remain in some form, because ultimately it requires kenosis or self emptiness with the submission of our will in all humility to the will of God, and not emptiness. When strictly relying upon one's own effort alone there will be a residual amount of subtle pride or false humility present, and God resists the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.

My question to you is how does emptiness undermine the Creator, the One, who dwells in Divine Darkness?

Emptiness is the Inseparable truth of all phenomena it is the actual nature of all Existence any Phenomena that hypothetically was not Empty but actually Self existent would invalidate itself through not having dependence on anything else that would also mean that such a phenomena that was self existent would never be able to be apprehended or interacted with or even conceived because anything that did interact with it would automatically make such an object a dependent entity and thus subject to the laws of Impermanence.

Divine Darkness sounds like the conceptualisation of those who were unable to make this creator work in accordance with their vision, It wouldn't surprise me if it were the doings of Maha Brahma to assure himself of his own Immortality.
  • @caz
    Regarding your statement on Emptiness. I held such views too, and it was a stumbling block for me. I was very proud of myself in falsely thinking that no one in the history of Christianity had ever possibly addressed this very topic, that Christians were all simpletons who just weren't cable of realizing emptiness, and this is why they have to believe in a god, but I was eventually introduced to a theology that addresses that supposition, and the well is deep particularly in reference to God's essence and uncreated energies.

Regrading your statement on Darkness. St. Gregory of Nyssa in his works "On the Life of Moses" states:

The Darkness: first we see God in light like Moses and then in darkness, this is the seeing that consists in non-seeing…that which is sought transcends all knowledge, being separated on all sides by incomprehensibility as by a kind of darkness”

In his works, "The Mystical Theology of the Eastern Church", Vladimir Lossky states: "The eastern tradition has never made a sharp distinction between mysticism and theology; between personal experience of the divine mysteries and the dogma affirmed by the Church... Christian theology is a unity of knowledge sub serving an end which transcends all knowledge. This ultimate end is union with God or theosis."

The truth is your theology is quite different from mine, and it seems to me that you constantly assume we are speaking about the same god when you make your assertions. If you want to apply the Doctrine of Emptiness to your god then do so, but understand it is not mine.

For me now I would rather expend my energy becoming familiar with the Lankavatara Sutra than pitting Kenosis against Emptiness. I think we should agree that we are at an impasse.
    RebeccaSlobster
    What you describe is very similar to what those followers of the Santandharma try to achieve the union with god, These assertions can equally apply to your version of God or whatever name or label one wishes to grant it, the being you ascribe as a creator has been de-constructed many a time by examining its supposed qualities and looking for its actual existence.

What do you expect if you spend time on a Buddhist board ? The notion of a creator was rejected by Buddha and you have rejected Buddha's Dharma as well so why spend time trying to justify your views unless you are here to simply Prosthelytize ?
  • If you want to apply the Doctrine of Emptiness to your god then do so, but understand it is not mine.
    Hazrat Khan said something similar, "I don't believe in the God you think I believe in either." (think that is right) :vimp:

Silouan and Christians who have been involved in Buddhism are usually well aware that the transcendent does not exist as emptiness, suchness or arisings. Rather it is an abiding or a grace, that defies direct expression.
    He is willing to read sutra and we may gain from any insight. :clap:
    An acceptance of Christ is not a rejection of dharma. Is he not a precious jewel?
    I sense no fault in any of us (well me maybe). Let's be friends as an example to the hungry lions that we can throw our selves away . . .

:thumbsup:
    Silouanvinlyn
  • @Lobster

I agree, and I think the board is actually developing into one of more sharing then opposition, and I have been affected and changed by interactions with others. I have had some wonderful discussion with many, and they have provided me with great insights and recommendations to further enhance my understanding, and I prefer rather to participate in this manner.

I'm highly interested in the human condition, and spirituality is the common thread that we all share. I see having some understanding of another's spirituality, whether we agree with it or not as our personal path, as a means to provide insight into the human person, and actually conducive for developing compassion which I’m coming to firmly believe.

• Silouan said:

Just came across p. 15 onwards of The Paradox of Becoming, which may address some of your questions. If it doesn't I think you will find it interesting, anyway.
    “Then a certain being of wanton nature, (thinking,) ‘Now what might
    this be?’ tasted the flavor-earth with his finger. On tasting the flavor-earth
    with his finger, he became enamored and his craving alighted. Then other
    beings, following his example, tasted the flavor-earth with their fingers. On tasting the flavor-earth with their fingers, they became enamored and
    their craving alighted. So those beings attacked the flavor-earth, tearing it
    to pieces with their hands to eat it. When they attacked the flavor-earth,
    tearing it to pieces with their hands to eat it, their self-luminosity
    vanished. With the vanishing of their self-luminosity, the sun & moon
    appeared. With the appearing of the sun & moon, the asterisms &
    constellations appeared. With the appearing of the asterisms &
    constellations, day & night appeared. With the appearing of day & night,
    seasons & years appeared. And to this extent did this world evolve again.
    “Then those beings, eating the flavor-earth, stayed for a long stretch of
    time with that as their food, with that as their nourishment. As they kept
    eating the flavor-earth … a coarseness grew in their bodies, and good &
    bad coloring were discernible. Some of them were endowed with good
    color, some with bad. At that point, those of a good color grew haughty
    toward those of a bad color: ’We are of a better coloring; those are of a
    worse.’ Because of the color-haughtiness of those of a prideful & haughty
    nature, the flavor-earth disappeared.” — DN 27
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited November 2012
    Silouan said:

I have trouble with this right off the starting line because "unchanging" would seem to be a defining characteristic. That and the only thing that stays the same is the fact that everything changes. If it were not so, we wouldn't be here (whatever that is).
    Unless "emptiness" is mistaken for "nothingness" I don't see how there is any negation of either aspect from either perspective. I see it as like how particles appear out of seeming "nothingness" when a vacuum is as close to achieved as we can get it. If parts of something come out of it, it isn't nothing. Space itself has properties that are pulled out that make what are called "virtual particles" which appear and disappear but that never allow the space itself to "become" a vacuum. Emptiness IS precisely form and form is precisely emptiness. They are not opposites but complimentary aspects of the same thing.

Buddha was good... As somebody said on another thread, Buddha may not have been a scientist as per our current understanding of the term but his insights into causation are so cool.
    To me, the only way it could be unchanging is if it is change itself. Change is progression for "good" or "bad".

Ignorance is a lack of understanding and waking up is a process.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited November 2012
    Silouan said:

Be still and know that I am God.

I think I understand this if God is not a proper noun.

Not "a" being but being.
    tmottes said:

;)

Where is the starting point on a circle? or infinity sign?
    I'd suppose it depends on the artist and then it's wherever the tool falls.

What came first, the tool or the art?

• FlorianFlorian Veteran
    edited November 2012
    Silouan - I've tried again with the quotes. If they don't work sorry for the mess this is going to be.

EDIT: Yes, a mess. I've re-editied it.

S - " The proclamation in Buddhism that enlightenment comes entirely through one's own effort is widely accepted, and as far as I understand it that would include the reliance upon one's own wisdom and knowledge acquired."

P - Yes. But I think what has to be taken into account is that the Buddha transcended his own knowledge as a discrete human being. In the end 'his own' wisdom and knowledge was not 'his own' any more or less than it is mine or yours.

S - However, I see my error in assuming that he would even attempt such a thing. He did not receive the revelation from above which Christ came to give us, and that revelation was that He and the Father are one, that before Abraham existed He was, that all authority in heaven and on earth was given to Him, and that if you have seen Him you have seen the Father.

P - Well, my guess is that this is exactly what he received. He just didn't put it this way, and your way does seem to require an unjustifiable multplication of theoretical entitites. What he said, if we put it as a Sufi might, is that once we have seen the Father we have seen ourself. Do you know 'The Conference of the Birds?' For Buddhism there are not two things, so all these characters in the play would be metaphorical, didactic, explanatory devices etc.

S - The Buddha did not claim to have existed from all eternity,

P - He claimed that nothing really exists, so no.

S - nor did he claim to posses the eternal destinies of all human persons, nor did he claim to be equal to God the Father, and to have all authority in the world.

P - Does anyone claim this?

S - His teachings are applicable to his understanding of the world that was influenced by his culture and the natural world, and the application of dependent origination assumes that creator gods must fit into certain types of constructs and within the natural world that makes the doctrine of emptiness valid when applied to them.

P - I think we either believe that the Buddha discovered the entire truth or that he was a fraud.

S - For the Dalai Lama to say that a Christian shouldn't delve too deeply into the doctrine, because it might undermine their belief in a creator god shows that he is still clinging to some notion(s) regarding a creator god, and/or implying that those with less faculty wouldn't understand it to be effectual.

P - I cannot follow you here. If he really did say this I imagine he is allowing people to retain their clinging belief in a creator God, not suggesting that there is one.

S - The point I would make is that if one relies upon his or her effort alone these conceptions will remain in some form, because ultimately it requires kenosis or self emptiness with the submission of our will in all humility to the will of God, and not emptiness. When strictly relying upon one's own effort alone there will be a residual amount of subtle pride or false humility present, and God resists the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.

P - I'd say that this is just the Buddha's view in other language, and that you are setting up an opposition that isn't really there. I believe that you are right, that Grace is required for Godhead, if we want to use these words, and that this is perfectly consistent with the Buddha's teaching.

S - My question to you is how does emptiness undermine the Creator, the One, who dwells in Divine Darkness?

P - I don't know. I find that reason alone is sufficient to do away with a creator God. I believe it is me that dwells in divine darkness, if I can just find the way home. And you of course.

• FlorianFlorian Veteran
    edited November 2012
    Deleted.
    phi