Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Being Mindful Throughout Your Day

edited November 2012 in Buddhism Basics
Hello all,

I have a question... What are some ways that help you to stay mindful and keep the Teachings in mind throughout your busy daily lives? I am a "baby" Buddhist, if you will, and I have been struggling some with staying mindful each day and keeping the Dharmma on my mind with everything I do. I know that it's all part of the process, and practice with a sincere heart will present positive results. I am just curious about any tips that any of you may have.

(Note: my only knowledge of Buddhism and it's teachings are what I've learned on my own via reading books and accessing the internet. I am going to soon try and attend a monastery. Also, I am only 20 years old, so I have much practice and learning to do.)

Thanks so much!

~Anic

Namaste

Comments

• Don't get cross with yourself for losing mindfulness. It's the nature of the mind to diffuse sometimes. If it couldn't do this a new creative thought could never bubble out of the foggy diffuse mind.

Just come back. Come back. Again and again. It never ends and you are never wrong for spacing out, you just come back.
    Wisdom23AnicMaryAnne
  • I find that listening to Dhamma talks once in a while really helps,especially when not having access to a monastery. The Dhamma is in everything so everything should be able to remind us of the Dhamma. When we are reminded, we need only to make ourselves aware. To be aware leads to mindfulness, and having mindfulness is our ticket to peace and happiness.
    Anic
  • Just pay attention to what the body is doing throughout the day.
    "Furthermore, when walking, the monk discerns, 'I am walking.' When standing, he discerns, 'I am standing.' When sitting, he discerns, 'I am sitting.' When lying down, he discerns, 'I am lying down.' Or however his body is disposed, that is how he discerns it. And as he remains thus heedful, ardent, & resolute, any memories & resolves related to the household life are abandoned, and with their abandoning his mind gathers & settles inwardly, grows unified & centered. This is how a monk develops mindfulness immersed in the body.

"Furthermore, when going forward & returning, he makes himself fully alert; when looking toward & looking away... when bending & extending his limbs... when carrying his outer cloak, his upper robe & his bowl... when eating, drinking, chewing, & savoring... when urinating & defecating... when walking, standing, sitting, falling asleep, waking up, talking, & remaining silent, he makes himself fully alert. And as he remains thus heedful, ardent, & resolute, any memories & resolves related to the household life are abandoned, and with their abandoning his mind gathers & settles inwardly, grows unified & centered. This is how a monk develops mindfulness immersed in the body.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.119.than.html
    lobsterAnicJeffrey
  • RodrigoRodrigo São Paulo, Brazil Veteran
    More meditation = more mindfulness (even when you are not meditating)
    lobsterseeker242Anic
  • Anic said:

I am a "baby" Buddhist, if you will, and I have been struggling some with staying mindful each day and keeping the Dharmma on my mind with everything I do.

Welcome to the kindergarten :)
    There are so many ways. Already some great suggestions. Some tantrikas keep a small Buddha in a pouch around their necks and bring it out for a dharma snog occasionally. Or they grow particular nails long and bring these into the palm to remind of a dharmic quality.
    Mantras work for me. Each mantra has a particular flavour or 'invocation nature'. OM MANI PEME HUM is good for babies and even naughty toddlers like me . . .
    I also use intense metta pulsing from ones Buddha Nature center (however one visualises that) - very beneficial.
    You will find it here as the Golden Heart Breath
    http://yinyana.tumblr.com/page/4

Another technique is a mindfulness bell, which you can probably get for your smartphone. Just an alarm that goes off as a reminder . . . throughout the day . . .
    Anic
  • Anic said:

What are some ways that help you to stay mindful and keep the Teachings in mind throughout your busy daily lives?

I have been struggling some with staying mindful each day and keeping the Dharmma on my mind with everything I do.

Consider the skill of reading - there was a time when you couldn't read and you were still alive - there is a time when you can read and you are still alive - the alive bit is the same however your relationship to it (and the results from it) change as you acquire skills.

Do you need to keep your skill of reading in mind in everything you do throughout the day? Or is it just part of what it is to be you?
    Anic
  • Thank you all so much. I appreciate all of your advice and words of honesty. :)

@Rodrigo you mentioned that more meditation = more mindfulness. I like this very much. About how long has it taken you, or anyone of you for that matter, to feel more mindful and focused during your meditations and in the outside world? In other words, from your first meditation how long has it taken you to begin to feel the effects and benefits of meditating?

• RodrigoRodrigo São Paulo, Brazil Veteran
    @Anic, it took me a few months to feel some difference, and a few years to feel a significant difference. But perhaps the best is not to set goals... Instead, try to have a sitting habit and see what happens.
    Anic
  • @Rodrigo, thanks! I will definitely try to make a habit of sitting every day.
  • I would also like to add... I think that being a part of this online community helps to remind me of the Teachings and to be mindful. You all definitely encourage me! Thanks again!

Namaste!
    Rodrigolobster
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    As my experience with people babies,
    Practice makes perfect. :)
    Repetition can/will lead you into alot of mindfulness.

Tips?
    Take what the books say.....and try it out.
    Thats all there is to it. Thats also what makes it
    hard for alot of people. Pay attention.
    Remember, you are changing your intentions and
    motivations from automatic to shift.

May I ask......Is your reading material providing
    any tips/how-to's?

Stick around here......tips come flying in the
    boat like fish. haha

Look into what is creating/supporting the 'struggle'.
  • As has been mentioned, meditation is a great help to me.
    I start my day with a 15 minute meditation. It takes time to really calm the mind and not let it run around on you.
    I also through the day notice my thoughts, "why am I thinking this?" "What benefit is it to my path or to others?"
    Try to just notice your thoughts and actions, this has done very well for me on my path.
  • I try to stop and look at what I'm doing/thinking at those times when I find myself feeling resentful/put-upon/generous/crabby/prideful/etc. and see if I can see where it is coming from. I can usually get to the "aha" moment and correct my thinking. Notice feelings as they come up and take a step back.
    Vastmind
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    ^^^ See? Came right in the boat.

Wait...is that a lama in the boat?
    You have to be ready for anything around here.
    :)
  • Anic said:

Hello all,

I have a question... What are some ways that help you to stay mindful and keep the Teachings in mind throughout your busy daily lives? I am a "baby" Buddhist, if you will, and I have been struggling some with staying mindful each day and keeping the Dharmma on my mind with everything I do. I know that it's all part of the process, and practice with a sincere heart will present positive results. I am just curious about any tips that any of you may have.

(Note: my only knowledge of Buddhism and it's teachings are what I've learned on my own via reading books and accessing the internet. I am going to soon try and attend a monastery. Also, I am only 20 years old, so I have much practice and learning to do.)

Thanks so much!

~Anic

Namaste

Be healthy physically and mentally. Above all be responsible.
    lobster
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Anic said:

I have a question... What are some ways that help you to stay mindful and keep the Teachings in mind throughout your busy daily lives?

The big challenge is remembering to be mindful, and people use a variety of techniques, eg returning to the breath or physical sensations at regular intervals, using slogans, or using particular activities or events as reminders to "return to the present".
    But undoubtedly a regular meditation practice is an important foundation.
    howJason