Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What makes you a Buddhist?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I do.
    lobsterVastmindZeroCole_
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Refuge.
    lobster
  • Dukkha.
    ToshlobsterTheEccentric
  • driedleaf said:

Dukkha.

"Pain is the touchstone of all spiritual growth"

A.A. literature.

driedleafCole_
  • Got a decoder ring.
    karastiVastmindCole_
  • hearing teachings, contemplation, and meditation.
  • Nothing makes me a Buddhist. :scratch:
    driedleaf
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I want a decoder ring!

Interesting question. Simple, yet not. What makes me a Buddhist...
    I guess because when I read the 4 Noble Truths, they are truth for me. The N8FP is mostly common sense for any sort of good living, but the 4 Noble Truths are different from anything I've read, and because I find them to be true, I find the foundational teachings of Buddhism to be true. Because I believe that to be truth, I guess that is what makes me a Buddhist. Plus, my teacher gave me a certificate that says so, so it must be true!
    mfranzdorfdriedleafswanny84
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited December 2012
    What makes me a Buddhist?

You do.

PS. If there are enough decoder rings to go around, I want one.
    Tosh
  • Adopt another view or belief system to get my shit together in life.

All at the same time realize its another facade that prevents me from truly interacting with life and accepting my humanity.

The joys. <3
    VastmindlobsterGui
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited December 2012
    @how is known around these parts for the
    decoder ring teachings. :)
  • Dude taught me the secret handshake. Now I get the best seat at all the sanghas.
    DaftChrishowZeroCole_
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    Taking refuge in the three jewels, following the Dharma and not braking the 5 precepts
    vinlynmfranzdorf
  • GuiGui Veteran
    My thing is no thing.
    Cole_
  • Gui said:

My thing is no thing.

With respect, what does this mean? It seems like an attempt at stating something profound, but written as words on a screen it reads as a little bit trite and empty. I can imagine a Zen master saying these words in person within a context and environment with an experiential understanding and a certain energetic imprint being conveyed that would give it meaning... but when read on a screen it kind of reads like someone trying too hard. I might be wrong, and i'm not knocking you, because obviously I don't know you at all or what the motivation in the moment was in writing these words, but with regards the OP question, what is it you are saying in your response?

• Try to knowing Anatta
  • perhaps having unshakable faith in the buddha, the dharma, and the sangha...but that takes a lot of reading, listening, and putting the buddhas dharma into practice. I will say that meditation only or listening to zen music, lighting candles or putting a buddha statue in the garden will not make you a buddhist. (not that you said it would, but just my 2 cents)
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited December 2012
    swanny84 said:

An open heart.
    lobsterMaryAnne
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    Refuge in the three jewels and following the 5 precepts and the eightfold path.
  • I guess I identify as a "Buddhist" because I honestly try to positively enhance my life, (and my impact on all living things around me), by way of the Buddhist ideals and philosophy.
    I'm a secular Buddhist; meaning that while I acknowledge, respect - and use as tools- the precepts and 8 fold path for living this lifetime in the best way possible, I don't observe the religious rituals, spirits or "god" aspects of Buddhism. Could that change at some point in the future? It might. My spiritual path has evolved and changed a few times already in this life. :)

lobsterswanny84
  • GuiGui Veteran
    edited December 2012

Gui said:

My thing is no thing.

With respect, what does this mean? It seems like an attempt at stating something profound, but written as words on a screen it reads as a little bit trite and empty. I can imagine a Zen master saying these words in person within a context and environment with an experiential understanding and a certain energetic imprint being conveyed that would give it meaning... but when read on a screen it kind of reads like someone trying too hard. I might be wrong, and i'm not knocking you, because obviously I don't know you at all or what the motivation in the moment was in writing these words, but with regards the OP question, what is it you are saying in your response?

I will try although my ability to explain myself coherently is limited. All I meant is that, for me, Buddhism teaches the difference between reality and what the mind perceives and, furthermore, what meaning the mind creates from those perceptions. In this way, Buddhism brings me freedom from "things" that exist only in our minds. The funny thing is, Buddhism itself is a "thing" in this context. Anyway, I try not to think too much about it. I am really not anything in particular, I suppose. My thing is no thing. I like the freedom from being alligned with any thought process or ideal. Not one, including Buddhism, is correct.
    Therefore, that makes me a Buddhist!
    Cole_
  • GuiGui Veteran
    edited December 2012
    See what I mean? What I meant to say was I like the freedom from not being alligned. Or, the freedom from being alligned. - They both sound the same to me - but I hope you get what I meant.
    I hate talking. :p
    For you musicians out there; talking, or writing, to me is like when you are experiencing music and then it gets in your mind ------ THEN you try to play it on your instrument. I can never do it justice. Most times I am not even close.
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    I observe dhamma...
    MaryAnne
  • Using the dharma as a path rather than a destination.
    Jeffrey
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    Being me.