Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

first visit to a sangha

edited December 2012 in Sanghas
Hi all, I was just wondering what I should expect from my first visit to my local sangha,the gentleman stated over the phone that they follow the teachings of Zen Buddhist Master, Thích Nhất Hạnh , and also if anyone would like to share there experiences on there first visit and how they felt before and afterwards would be very grateful.

thanks for you're time.
Linc

Comments

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    swanny84 said:

Hi all, I was just wondering what I should expect from my first visit to my local sangha,the gentleman stated over the phone that they follow the teachings of Zen Buddhist Master, Thích Nhất Hạnh , and also if anyone would like to share there experiences on there first visit and how they felt before and afterwards would be very grateful.

I used to attend a Thich Nhat Hanh group, nice people, strong emphasis on mindfulness and ethics. Though I found their approach a bit woolly and meditation didn't seem to be their strong point.
    Anyway, take it as it comes, I'm sure you'll be made very welcome.
    swanny84
  • I heard Thích Nhất Hạnh was giving a talk in my country on the morning of the talk. I immediately made plans to attend. Through a bizarre coincidence I got in free . . .
    . . . but that is another posting . . .

For now I know the trepidation is there . . . What will happen? What will it be like? Will I be OK? I can assure you, everything is fine. You will be fine. The experience will be fine. You will be so glad you went. Promise. Have a great time. :)
    Samaswanny84
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2012

I used to attend a Thich Nhat Hanh group, nice people, strong emphasis on mindfulness and ethics. Though I found their approach a bit woolly and meditation didn't seem to be their strong point.
    Anyway, take it as it comes, I'm sure you'll be made very welcome.

Some people really like Vietnamese Buddhism. I've heard the Vietnamese are a warm people, and that's reflected in their style of Buddhism. Zen, for example, is too austere for some. What was "wooly" about it, Porpoise? Just curious.

@swanny84 You'll probably be in a big room with a bunch of other people. Either no one will notice you, or they'll be friendly. You'll probably find the "Dharma talk" inspiring, and the atmosphere calming. Enjoy. :)

swanny84
  • I first went to a zen monastery during gyollche didn't at first realize what it meant to sit for 2 hours and just focus on breathing in and out. So it was a massive transition from sitting 6 hours in a chair because no longer did I have a backrest I could count on to hold me up. Slouching every 10 minutes when I realized wow I'm pretty pathetic that I can't even hold myself up. the teacher said focus on breathing in and when u come to the top of breathing that is 1 then the bottom of the out breathe is 2 but when you get a thought run through your head it's time to reset it back to 0 and sure enough mindful practice is perfect practice.
  • blu3ree said:

I first went to a zen monastery during gyollche didn't at first realize what it meant to sit for 2 hours and just focus on breathing in and out. So it was a massive transition from sitting 6 hours in a chair because no longer did I have a backrest I could count on to hold me up. Slouching every 10 minutes when I realized wow I'm pretty pathetic that I can't even hold myself up..

I cheat, when necessary, and sit at the back where the cushions are piled, and let the stack of cushions prop me up. :D

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    swanny84 said:

Hi all, I was just wondering what I should expect from my first visit to my local sangha,

Hi @Swanny84. Did you go? How was it?