Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

If you could Interview Siddhartha Gautama?

NiwalenNiwalen Explorer
edited December 2012 in Buddhism Today
If you could Interview Siddhartha Gautama after he became a buddha, what would you ask him?

I would ask him:

How do you feel about the many variations of your teaching that have evolved down through the years? Please comment on Theravada (38%), Mahayana (56%), Tantrism or Vajranaya, Tibetan (6%; Dalai Lama), and Zen Buddhism?

Also cheekily:

Did you really sit under that bodhi tree for seven full days—without ever eating any figs? Did your remarkably sensitive, compassionate, nature come more from your mother or father? How did your son, left to grow up without a father, feel about your “Great Renunciation”?

Also can I have your autograph and a photo? :P

Comments

• BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    I think I would be happy to just sit under the tree with him and the rest of the Arahants and be mindful.
    DaltheJigsawNiwalenlobster
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited December 2012
    I'd ask Lord Siddhartha Gautama to define "enlightenment" in layman's terms, so far as that is possible.

I'd ask him to explain both the pitfalls of those seeking enlightenment and the benefits thereof. In other words, I'd want to investigate why seeking enlightenment before all else might get in the way of realizing higher truths and in what instances and for what people seeking first "the truth" is the highest calling.

Ah this is hard to write. I mean, I'd want to ask him at what point seeking and seeking for enlightenment might become greediness for self-aggrandisement. And did the Buddha not himself do this very thing? I'd ask.
    Niwalen
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Good luck finding an English/Pali interpreter 2600 years ago..
    BhikkhuJayasara
    how said:

lol! thats if old Sid even spoke pali... which is debated.

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Jayantha said:

how said:

64 languages he spoke I hear.

caz said:

Jayantha said:

how said:

yes I also hear he walked on water, multiplied himself in the sky, and teleported :P
    vinlynRodrigolobster
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    edited December 2012
    I'd ask him how to attain nirvana.
    He usually looks right into people's minds and sees exactly the best way to teach them, so I might be able to get enlightened in just minutes, like all those people in the suttas.

Thus have I heard:
    On one occasion the Blessed One was saying near Savatthi, at Jetas Grove, Anathapindikas Park, abiding content, tranquil, and at peace.
    Now at that time a traveller from far away, householder James, came to him and on arrival gave his respects, and sat down on his right side.
    "Householder" said the Blessed One, "ask what you have come to ask, for you have come far, from the future."
    Householder James bowed and asked "Lord, how may I best attain an end to suffering, and enter nibbana?"
    The Blessed One said "It is a good question householder, a proper question."
    The Blessed One looked into the mind of householder James and saw the best way to teach.
    He exclaimed "It is like this, householder, practise like this..."

The householder gave ear to his words, and a shining light arose in his mind. Mara fell away and he was confirmed in the fruit of stream entry.
    Bowing to the Tathagata, householder James exclaimed "It is wonderful lord, it is amazing. Having cast off all effluents, cooled am I, unbound." and asked for refuge.
    "Come, monk" said the Blessed One
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Jayantha said:

caz said:

Jayantha said:

how said:

yes I also hear he walked on water, multiplied himself in the sky, and teleported :P
    Well being a Prince one must be versed in many subjects, I would suspect he would be fluent languages and customs of the Brahmins and of the many common folk.
    caz said:

Jayantha said:

caz said:

Jayantha said:

how said:

Well being a Prince one must be versed in many subjects, I would suspect he would be fluent languages and customs of the Brahmins and of the many common folk.
    true enough :)
  • I'd ask him if he could show me a way to think more positively and my body feel whole. Also how to deal with psychotic voices I hear. All of those things and the relationship between my difficulties and feeling better would be of interest. I would hope he could show me how to extend the good feelings of my practice and help it to grow.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I'd ask him if his teachings were meant to solve all issues of life, or primarily suffering.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    If unsatisfactoriness is the ailment, is satisfactoriness any cure?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    "Imponderables? Only 4?? you're kidding, right? What about what happens to odd socks in the wash? Or why kids ask the most embarrassing of questions in public? Or why the shortest queue takes the longest??"
    RebeccaSBhikkhuJayasaralobster
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited December 2012
    Niwalen said:

If you could Interview Siddhartha Gautama after he became a buddha, what would you ask him?

I would ask him:

How do you feel about the many variations of your teaching that have evolved down through the years? Please comment on Theravada (38%), Mahayana (56%), Tantrism or Vajranaya, Tibetan (6%; Dalai Lama), and Zen Buddhism?

Also cheekily:

Did you really sit under that bodhi tree for seven full days—without ever eating any figs? Did your remarkably sensitive, compassionate, nature come more from your mother or father? How did your son, left to grow up without a father, feel about your “Great Renunciation”?

Also can I have your autograph and a photo? :P

Can I ask what you mean by Tibetan (6% Dalai Lama ) Niwalen ?
  • Ohh I dont know! must have been a typo when I wwas getting info from the internet lol
    Niwalen said:

Ohh I dont know! must have been a typo when I wwas getting info from the internet lol

probably because the DL represents only 6% of the world's Buddhists.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited December 2012
    I believe the Dalai Lama represents the politics of Tibetan Buddhists, rather than the religion. He is not actually the head of one of the four camps, though I am sure he is involved with the geluk organization.
    caz
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    He no longer even represents the Politics. He stood down from that role in August 2011.
  • I'd ask him if being a prince was cool and if he had elephants.

I've never been good at this kind of thing :lol:
    JeffreylobsterNiwalen
    RebeccaS said:

I'd ask him if being a prince was cool and if he had elephants.

oh he had elephants.. War elephants with great compartments on top.. they were the super tanks of their day and ended Alexander's dreams of battle a hundred or so years later.
  • RebeccaSRebeccaS Veteran
    edited December 2012
    Jayantha said:

RebeccaS said:

oh he had elephants.. War elephants with great compartments on top.. they were the super tanks of their day and ended Alexander's dreams of battle a hundred or so years later.
    That's freakin sweet.

Kinda put me in the mood for a lord of the rings marathon :lol:
    Jeffrey
    edited December 2012
    RebeccaS said:

Jayantha said:

RebeccaS said:

That's freakin sweet.

Kinda put me in the mood for a lord of the rings marathon :lol:

the scene from the movie Alexander is not in english in this video, but you see them fighting against the elephants. ( if you don't like violence don't watch for anyone else)

The elephant features prominently in the Pali suttas in many ways, including references to war elephants etc. The Buddha uses them in parables and analogies many times.