Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Reincarnation

I am new to buddhism and I am not sure if I believe in reincarnation. I mean, it makes sense to me - by its very nature, the earth recycles and it is a fact of science that matter (including the human spirit) cannot be destroyed. When you extinguish a flame in water, the energy is not automatically gone - it has made the water slightly warmer than before. Do all Buddhists believe in reincarnation? Do you? Why or why not?

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    You're probably going to be criticized for calling it "reincarnation" rather than "rebirth".

But to answer your question. There are those who believe in the concept, those who don't, and those of us who are open-minded but seek some kind of evidence.
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited December 2012
    Buddhists do not believe in a soul... just compounds that come together through causes and conditions.. it is this that "becomes" again.

reincarnation is from the Hindus and means the incarnation of a soul to another body. we use the term "becoming" or "re-becoming" to differentiate. It on the surface seems to be a semantics issue and it can be as long as a person knows the difference.

as for belief in re-becoming.. in the Kalama sutta the Buddha said that if there is no rebirth.. the practice brings benefits here and now in this life.. and if there is rebirth, then you are doubly rewarded. If you don't "believe" in re-becoming, then shelf it. They say you can get to the point where you see past lives and such, then it will be " truth" and not " belief".

as for me personally.. I guess you can say I "believe" in re-becoming. It's not something I can explain with logic. While I'm really technically agnostic on the matter, I've always felt deep down that it was "right"... that it made sense... and that I liked that I could of been some cool person in history and that I could come back in the future. This was a child's love of the concept.. now if it's true I just want out, last thing I need is to come back AGAIN.. especially if I've cried more tears then in the four great oceans throughout the aeons of my re-becoming.
  • Somehow everyday I wake up and do my routine.

And of course I can just stop and examine deeply and see that there is absolutely no ground and everything is ungraspable and disjointed.

But then again there is this continuity. From one moment to next. If I stab my hand with a knife then pain follows. This is obvious in all instants of life.

I have no real evidence for or against rebirth.

But I find that with dharma study and practice we really deconstruct all that is constructed. For instance the past is a thought in the present. The future is a thought in the present. These are just images and ideas. And even the present an idea which has only apparent convention existence on the basis of a past and future. If the past and future are seen to be illusory well then so is the present.

And then we find ourselves in the unborn, unfabricated, timelessness.

And from this non location we recognize no birth and no death as the arising and passing away of apparent appearances. So rebirth is always happening and in fact rebirth itself is the deathless.

None of this probably makes sense but really examine your experience. All is clear. This arising and falling has no center, location, nor time. A continuous flow with no owner.

Its actually quite remarkable.

Rebirth becomes about confidence in what the Buddha taught. And if we really take dependent origination seriously then it is something we must consider.

But again imho its better to have a good view and good relationship towards rebirth. Why? Well if we take the view that suffering isn't just this life. The suffering is all the lives, countless, etc. And this really puts perspective on practice and really makes us work hard.

Not sure if this answered your question but it sure made me think a bit. Thanks!
    howzenfflobster
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    Mateeah said:

I am new to buddhism and I am not sure if I believe in reincarnation. I mean, it makes sense to me - by its very nature, the earth recycles and it is a fact of science that matter (including the human spirit) cannot be destroyed. When you extinguish a flame in water, the energy is not automatically gone - it has made the water slightly warmer than before. Do all Buddhists believe in reincarnation? Do you? Why or why not?

No, not all Buddhists believe in rebirth or reincarnation, although many of them certainly do. As for myself, I'm agnostic when it comes to postmortem rebirth, but I'm a firm believer in moment-to-moment rebirth, which is readily observable in the here and now.

'Moment-to-moment rebirth' refers to the arising and ceasing of our sense of self, the ephemeral 'I,' which is ultimately the product of what the Buddha called a process of 'I-making' and 'my-making' (ahankara-mamankara). Without further scientific advancements or extrasensory perception gained through meditation (AN 5.28), this is the only kind of rebirth that's readily observable in the here and now, hence my agnosticism in regard to postmortem rebirth in general.

That said, I don't see any contradiction between the two. According to the texts, a beginning point to samsara (literally 'wandering on') isn't evident (SN 15.3). This can be interpreted two ways — that a beginning point to the continual cycle of death and rebirth of beings isn't evident, or that a beginning point to the continual cycle of death and rebirth of the conceit 'I am,' the self-identification that designates a being (satta), isn't evident — and they're not mutually exclusive.

To put it simply, one moment of consciousness conditions the arising of next (rebirth), just as one action conditions the quality of feeling a moment of consciousness cognizes (kamma); and if one accepts the traditional interpretation of rebirth, this process doesn't cease at death if there's still craving (tahna) present in the mind (SN 44.9).

Either way, the point is the same: all that really matters in the here and now is whether suffering is present, and if so, how it can be overcome.

And if you're interested, you can find a more detailed collection of my thoughts on rebirth here.
    Brian
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited December 2012
    Rebirth make meditative sense to me, has been backed up with a variety of personal experiences and has little to do with anything as coheisive as a recognaisable you.
    It is not nessesary to be believed in or not to be able to have an excellent Buddhist practise but I'd recommend remaining open to it being a possibility.
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I believe in reincarnation/rebirth, but not really in the same sense as most of Buddhism explains it. I just go by what makes logical sense to me, with an open mind. Many things I've come to Buddhism with have changed, so what Jason says makes a lot of sense to me and I do think is part of rebirth, as discussed in Buddhism, as well. For me, it doesn't really matter. I don't think belief is required to be reborn, if that is what happens with the human existence, then it happens to us all. If it is something else, then that is what happens to us all. I don't focus on it by any means, especially since living in the present is hard enough :)
    DaftChris
  • My position at the moment is that there is no such thing as (postmortem) rebirth.

There were times I vaguely believed in the idea and imagined I had some memories that have a connection to a previous life. For instance as a kid I dreamed of myself as person with black hair and in a dream this was repaired with a miracle comb (as I was actually blond). Also I thought it was significant that as a kid I would take off my shoes first thing when I came home. That was not the habit in our family. I always sat cross legged and such small things later made me think that in my previous life maybe I lived in Asia.

I know people who talk about previous lives as if they happened yesterday. When they meet someone they don’t like; they get into a state of hypnosis or something and figure out the reason. “Ah, back then he raped me and I killed him for it, so of course we have some tension between us”. Problem solved.

So on the one hand I can understand how people believe in the idea, but for me it is more something like a dream now. The memories of past lives – like dreams – are the reflection of our present state of mind. When I feel attracted to an Asian religion I might imagine or dream of having lived in Asia in a previous life.

At some point Ian Stevenson will pop up in threads like this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Stevenson
    He searched for proof of reincarnation. That’s basically the right mindset in my opinion. The idea needs proof. I don’t think Ian Stevenson’s method was good and his anecdotal evidence doesn’t decide the matter. Others think his findings are convincing enough.

I think it is important to claim the right for Buddhists to seriously question the idea of rebirth.
    Our practice is essential; not our belief system.

That’s about all I can say on the subject.

• lobsterlobster Crusty Veteran
    I don't believe in heaven realms except as mind states, or incarnation outside of each moment. If I had experiences to draw on, then things might well change. Then again do you trust your mind? I would not trust it to provide anything real . . . :)
    zenffhow
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    lobster said:

Then again do you trust your mind? :)

Only on a good day.
    :D
    lobster
  • If there is no postmortem rebirth, why go through so much trouble with noble truths, morality etc.? Why not enjoy life to the fullest, knowing this is the only life there is?
  • lobsterlobster Crusty Veteran
    Why not enjoy life to the fullest, knowing this is the only life there is?
    How is that working for you? Not well?
    Try the 8 fold path, this will teach you how to 'enjoy life to the fullest', or did I miss something?
    Tosh
    music said:

If there is no postmortem rebirth, why go through so much trouble with noble truths, morality etc.? Why not enjoy life to the fullest, knowing this is the only life there is?

Being mindful and living life with sila, samadhi and panna IS living life to the fullest.

You can only party, orgasm, and eat so much before it becomes hollow. Even wonderous sights and experiences of travel, while amazing, don't bring real purpose to life.
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    I'm a rebirth agnostic, I'm open minded to it, it's idea isn't far fetched to me like the concept of Heaven and Hell, but I struggle to see why people believe in it when there is no proof or evidence to suggest it and there is no scientific explanation for it, in my opinion nothing can happen without a scientific explantion for it and there is no natural explanation as to why you would be reborn. "If science proves some belief of Buddhism wrong, the Buddhism will have to change"-HHDL so maybe it's time we abandoned that belief,

Also something that I don't understand about rebirth is if the universe came to an end then there would be no more creatures being born therefore the souls of the creatures who where wiped out would not be reincarnated so that would contradict the rebirth system.
  • Eternity is a spiritual dimension outside of space and time found in the present moment. The state of one's mind at death is our eternity. If we live a distracted life with a dull mind our life is thrown about with various states experienced moment to moment. The same will happen when we die too, and when our consciousness dissolves that last state is our eternity.

Think about when sleeping and in a dream state and what types of dreams occur. For most of us it is all kinds, and we have no control as to what arises. This gives us an indication of the type of mind and states we will experience at death.
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    edited December 2012
    I'm agnostic on the issue, but I personally do believe in some form of rebirth in which we will gain another consciousness. To me, that makes more sense than being here because...just because and that once it's over, then it's over.

Is such a belief delusional? Perhaps. Does it hurt anyone? No.
  • If one understands the development of the notion of rebirth or reincarnation from its mythological origin then the Buddha's intention can be seen more clearly. The whole purpose of the Buddha's teaching was to refute the mistaken notion of rebirth or reincarnation of the person as a concrete fact.

The point being is that there is only one unique incarnation of a person. All the aggregates make the person, and this person is not physically reborn after death. Rebirth occurs in the mind at the unfolding of various projections, and silent stillness in the present moment is the cessation of rebirth.
    Daiva

I'm a rebirth agnostic, I'm open minded to it, it's idea isn't far fetched to me like the concept of Heaven and Hell, but I struggle to see why people believe in it when there is no proof or evidence to suggest it and there is no scientific explanation for it, in my opinion nothing can happen without a scientific explantion for it and there is no natural explanation as to why you would be reborn. "If science proves some belief of Buddhism wrong, the Buddhism will have to change"-HHDL so maybe it's time we abandoned that belief,

Also something that I don't understand about rebirth is if the universe came to an end then there would be no more creatures being born therefore the souls of the creatures who where wiped out would not be reincarnated so that would contradict the rebirth system.

You are forgetting the multi-verse and The innumerable amounts of universes in it ;-)
  • If you think of a collection of points in space... like mathematics... all of the points connect to each other, but they are infinitely small because they are co-ordinates. You cannot find a moment in time and you cannot find a point with fatness because you can keep dividing the moment or space. That is the madyamaka system that shows emptiness ie you cannot grasp a time in reality and say 'this is it'. Like you point to a snow man and you can say 'no that's just a snow ball' or 'no that is just snow'.

Now if you are still with me the continuity is how the points connect. How do they connect? How do you know that you are the same person as when you were a kid? Are you? If you cannot grasp a point then how can you say you 'got older'. Buddha said there was aging but yet that aging is ungraspable.

Ok now somewhere in Buddhist texts is the following... I got the info from a dharma talk.
    Now these points are neither manifest nor non-manifest. When the points are just sitting they are non-manifest. So say you have a memory of a spanish exam 10 years ago. You are not thinking of it and it is non-manifest. Now you think of 1 little thing and all at once, once you pick that point the whole pattern with all the relationships, the mandala all appears at once. That information is panoramic meaning it all reveals not like an inchworm showing point by point, but rather a whole surface appears all at once as all those points become manifest. Then later that memory becomes unmanifest again.
  • Jayantha said:

music said:

If there is no postmortem rebirth, why go through so much trouble with noble truths, morality etc.? Why not enjoy life to the fullest, knowing this is the only life there is?

Being mindful and living life with sila, samadhi and panna IS living life to the fullest.
    For how long?
    There is no scientific evidence for what happens after we die in any tradition. I think, whatever works for each person, it can be important to choose something, so to speak, that works for you. I think death is a huge distraction for people, and whether you believe you go to heaven/hell, are reborn, are reincarnated, or just rot in the ground and fertilize the flowers, I think every person has something set on what they *think* happens when they die. It allows them to carry on with living. Having a bunch of unknowns, especially such a big one, makes it different for people to carry on. It's there to make us feel better. None of us really knows what happens when we die. I just chose what made the most sense for me, and it's a mish mash of stuff about reincarnation. Doesn't mean I KNOW it to be true. It's just what I think based on what makes sense and experiences I've had. It allows me to carry on with my life and not worry about dying. Same for people who believe we go to heaven to be forever reunited with our loved ones. To me, that makes no sense, but it works for them.

I just think it's very difficult for people, with our thinking minds, to comprehend that perhaps we're as important to the grand scheme of things as a bird turd. We want to believe that there is a point to our lives.
    how
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited December 2012
    I don't know... This is an odd subject for me because although I do believe in rebirth it doesn't really make sense to me that there would be any certain lineage except all lineages.

I have had a couple of dreams that feel like past life memories that I can't really explain unless it's just my mind playing tricks on me. But to what end?

I also subsrcibe to the idea of constantly being reborn with every moment but I also feel it objectively. With every new life percieving through a new set of senses I feel reborn into the physical realm.

It's almost as though I don't believe in rebirth but inter-birth.

I feel it's best to be agnostic about the matter though so as to not cling to a belief that could be wrong.

I don't see why the concept of heaven and hell is any more "far-fetched" than the concept of rebirth.

In terms of "nothing can happen without a scientific explantion for it", think back at science in different ages. Did science always have the answers it has now? Will it not have answers to more issues in the future?

taiyakilobster
  • Its like when you were a child. Its an image. Did it really happen? Well can't really say. I mean it did but really where is it now? And we look at our lives in the present, there it is. But then we look further again at our present lives and its gone.

So really anatta and rebirth showcase this reality of corelessness and groundlessness. Sure we can say that child was me, etc. but really its just an image or idea we cling to. And really we disn't just randomly appear in the present. There is a causal link with no entities. Just like the wind moving and then rain dropping and we call it weather. We too are conventional labels on the basis of assumed processes.

There really is no solid answer but i don't believe thats the point. The point is to realize that the world operates as cause and effect and this becomes a pathway towards liberation. And of course even causality has no ground. But a make believe problem needs a make believe antidote. The world isn't what it seems but yet we cling and we cannot detach from perception.

Yesterday is no more and tommorow hasn't been. The present a constantly moving river with no ground.

The buddha is asking us to really examine this and relate it to our lives.

Good luck.
    JeffreyTheEccentricDaiva
    @vinlyn I know you weren't addressing me with your question, but I'll answer anyhow, lol. I don't think either idea/belief is more far-fetched than the other. It's just a matter for me, personally, of which makes the most sense. For me it comes down to small children, or babies who are born and then die. What is the "point" of a life that comes into the world only to die minutes later? Or the children who died at Newtown. What is the point of them being alive for only a short time? To me the idea of dying at 4 minutes old and going to heaven just makes no sense. It makes sense that that being will be reborn and get another chance, rather than one chance in eternity and only given 4 minutes.
    DaftChrisRebeccaS
    karasti said:

To me the idea of dying at 4 minutes old and going to heaven just makes no sense. It makes sense that that being will be reborn and get another chance, rather than one chance in eternity and only given 4 minutes.

hell I'd take that route if there was a heaven.. why wait?... 4 minutes is good enough for me haha.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    Why look for heaven out there when it is within just waiting to be recognised?

Why fear hell when our fellow beings live it every day?

Are these states not up to us to acheive?
    vinlyn said:

I don't see why the concept of heaven and hell is any more "far-fetched" than the concept of rebirth.

In terms of "nothing can happen without a scientific explantion for it", think back at science in different ages. Did science always have the answers it has now? Will it not have answers to more issues in the future?

Please note, my post took no position on either rebirth or heaven/hell. I simply -- and neutrally -- said I didn't see why one concept was seen as being any more "far-fethched" than the other.

I neither accept or reject the reality of either. I'm open-minded.

• karasti said:

@vinlyn I know you weren't addressing me with your question, but I'll answer anyhow, lol. I don't think either idea/belief is more far-fetched than the other. It's just a matter for me, personally, of which makes the most sense. For me it comes down to small children, or babies who are born and then die. What is the "point" of a life that comes into the world only to die minutes later? Or the children who died at Newtown. What is the point of them being alive for only a short time? To me the idea of dying at 4 minutes old and going to heaven just makes no sense. It makes sense that that being will be reborn and get another chance, rather than one chance in eternity and only given 4 minutes.

Interesting thought here. When I was still catholic, this question came up many times; and in the same reasoning as yours. For me I alway's believed that the reason for this was that the childs purpose during this short time was to prepare the parents on something that must be done, later in life. We all have a purpose in life, but the rules say 'we' have to figure out what that purpose is. And the child, goes on to his/her next re-birth.

As a cop, and a paramedic, there is no answer that any of us can give over what happened in Connecticut; outside of a very deragned mind that was attempted to be hidden by a hopfully loving mother. No one who is ligitimate will ever be able to explain why on the human level. Guranteed there's going to be years of forensic study on him, and her; and it will only render another chapter in a text book.

For me, it's that life is precious and now with so many, so young taken from us, we should stop the harm we do to ourselves, and others. Stop makin life a football game, and start returning to the sanctity of the family, so many holes now that must be healed over; and no matter what the treatment, there will alway's be a scare to show and remind us of why it's there. And, what are the potentials of what must be done. :cool:
  • Mateeah said:

I read once that reincarnation is Hindu and rebirth is Buddhist. I still don't understand both and I don't care. I am already born, you see.
    lobster
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    music said:

Because doing what most people see as "living life to the fullest" actually does not causes true or long lasting enjoyment and may lead to suffering. I still want to enjoy this life but in a way where I limit my suffering despite I will never reach enlightenment.

• NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    music said:

It doesn't really make much difference what we believe, we'll still be the same people regardless, and will live according to however we are.

Don't need to believe in postmortem rebirth to change or be motivated to change, obviously.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    I take the Zen view, ha!

Invincible_summerJeffreysova