Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Karmic effects of thoughts

BunksBunks Australia Veteran
What did the Buddha say about the effects of thoughts on our karma eg. let's imagine I am angry with someone but only verbalise what I'd like to say to them in my mind but never actually say it? The person is none the wiser...

Is there any karmic effect?

Comments

• ZeroZero Veteran
    If not to your karma then certainly to your spleen... stress, the silent silent killer...
    BonsaiDougVastmindBegin_Being
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    Zero said:

If not to your karma then certainly to your spleen... stress, the silent silent killer...

I am lucky Zero in the sense that I get over stuff pretty quickly. I might be angry with someone but find within ten or fifteen mins it's quitened down.
    Zero
  • Bravo.
    Being emotionally immature I often express my anger. Bad crustacean!
    If you can stay with the anger, in the arising, you will understand how these situations are 'our greatest teachers'.
    I may know the cure but still suffer the disease . . .
    Incidentally the more practice, the less arising . . .

There is a karmic cure and hope for us all . . . :wave:
    BonsaiDougzombiegirlBeej
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Bunks said:

What did the Buddha say about the effects of thoughts on our karma eg. let's imagine I am angry with someone but only verbalise what I'd like to say to them in my mind but never actually say it? The person is none the wiser...

Oh yes, he certainly did say something....

Dhammapada - The Pairs: First two.
    BonsaiDougVastmindWolfwood
    federica said:

Bunks said:

Thanks @federica but what about a person with an impure mind who doesn't speak or act on it?
  • Wisdom23Wisdom23 Veteran
    edited January 2013
    The word karma means ' action'. im sure i have read somewhere, whetherr it is an original teaching i dont know, that our thougbts shape our tomorrow. so angry thoughts will only make an angry u tomorrow. it is hard keeping calm twenty four seven but this is what we aim to avhieve. if you find yourself in a spot of unhelpful thougths just tru some mindful breathing

hope this helps

all the best
    Deepankarlanie
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    federica said:

There is still a kammic consequence, but the consequence is amplified and commensurate with the process of the Action, be it mental, verbal or physical.

Very often, you might think a negative thought, and follow that with a mental reproach.
    That's a good thing.. and better than someone telling you - "Hey dude, you shouldn't have done that"....

The Vipakka is subtle and ephemeral.
    This is why taming the mind is the hardest challenge of all. Because it pre-empts everything.
    it is the source of our kamma.

Which Buddhist sect do you follow Federica?
    Deepankarlanie
  • I think the use of the word "harbor" in the sutta is significant. If you feel that you are harboring these thoughts then I believe you will be creating negative results. If you are mindful of having these thoughts and react with metta then I believe the results will be positive.
    I am wondering if it would be better to verbalize what you would say (and then reflect on it), or to suppress this verbalization and just feel the energy of the anger... Maybe both are useful.
    BonsaiDoug
  • Your thoughts effect your actions. Your actions have consequences. It's all one big interconnected process. But @maarten is right, the wonderful sutra does say those who harbor such thoughts have problems and that seems to be significant. There is a difference between letting angry thoughts drop anchor so to speak and take shelter in their minds, versus letting them come and go like a stray breeze.

Deepankar
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    Bunks said:

i think the karmic effect is based on intention. if the intention is good and then you become angry on someone to stop them from doing something bad, then i think the karmic effect will not be negative. if the intention is bad, then the karmic effect of thought, speech and action will be negative. as far as the materialization of thought in speech and action is concerned, i think the karmic effect is based on intention, but the intensity of the effect may grow from thought to speech to action.
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    Bunks said:

I've formally studied karma, but I wasn't a good student, however really all I have to know is that being angry doesn't make me happy and I have to develop my practise so it happens less and when it does happen, I can deal with it; hopefully without doing too much harm to anyone or myself.
    lobsterInvincible_summer
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited January 2013
    Bunks said:

federica said:

Bunks said:

Thanks @federica but what about a person with an impure mind who doesn't speak or act on it?

3. "He abused me, he struck me, he overpowered me, he robbed me." Those who harbor such thoughts do not still their hatred.

4. "He abused me, he struck me, he overpowered me, he robbed me." Those who do not harbor such thoughts still their hatred.
    I think 3 and 4 address that. :) So it seems to just think it has karmic effect. Karma means action. But just the act of thinking, is itself, an action. Of course, thinking it and saying or doing something mean to the person as a result of that thinking, etc. would have even greater karmic effect. Just thinking it still has some effect.

For metta meditation to have good karmic effect, you don't have to actually go and feed homeless people or something. You just have to think right thoughts.

Holding "right view" or "wrong view" both have karmic effects. Both of which are an act of thinking. So it would follow that just the act of thinking can have karmic effects.

BunksNirvana
  • Basically if you have thoughts and intention, there is karmic effect. The 8th fold path is basically peace within.
    Nirvana
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    LeonBasin said:

Theravada - and no, I'm not sure why Deepankar 'LOL'ed.....

:scratch:
  • Bunks said:

Harboring hatred towards someone is like taking poison oneself and hoping for that person to die.

BunksDeepankarInvincible_summer
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2013
    Here's a thread where the OP talks about the karma of thoughts. here
    Bunks
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    federica said:

Bunks said:

Yes, thanx for that: "Those who harbor such thoughts do not still their hatred."
    Deepankar
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    federica said:

LeonBasin said:

Theravada - and no, I'm not sure why Deepankar 'LOL'ed.....

:scratch:
    My exact question. LOL!
  • SileSile Veteran
    The Hocaks (Native Americans) would often say, "The power of the mind." It really stuck with me. The idea was that mental activity absolutely has roles to play in cause and effect. When someone is using medicine to help someone else, for example, they might ask others nearby to "put your mind on it." Not unlike praying, though directed at the patient/process, rather than via an intermediary.
    Deepankar
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    Bunks said:

Will the person be the wiser through your actions?
    Won't your intention/starting line still be anger ?
    Verbalising in your mind, is confirming the emotion/thought, no?

Of course, anger brings effects and usually negative ones.
  • one is angry means one does not get what one wants

it means there is craving

craving is the cause of suffering (Second Noble Truth)

if there is cause then there is effect (suffering-First Noble Truth) too

to get rid of suffering (Third Noble Truth)

one must follow the Path (Noble Eight-fold Path)

in this case, instead of getting angry, practice loving-kindness for everyone

:)
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited January 2013
    Bunks said:

I think there is because although we are not our thoughts, they do colour our world. The more these thoughts are indulged the more negativity we nurture within and express without. Even unconsciously... Body language is more expressive than what we say.

I still catch myself doing this sometimes but I feel I'm making progress because I'm catching myself.

When these thoughts come up, it's like when I'm meditating and I catch my mind wandering. Thich Nhat Hanh calls these "Oops" moments and says they are very beneficial. When we find ourselves slipping, we can call it progress because of the awareness within the finding.

I understand you asked what Buddha said but @Federica answered that pretty handily.

• For instance, this is in written english language. Solely mandarin educated or illiterate cant understand english. If you are using this written english towards them or something, it is already a mind related although they do not understand what you are writing. To them there is no impact at all, but for yourself, there is some form of implication.
    Fyi, today's Buddha-Direct e-mail I received touched on this exact topic:

Q: Do bad thoughts in itself lead to bad karma?

A: Thoughts themselves have very little karmic trace, which however grows accumulatively
    when repeated, or even more when solidified into (verbal or internal silent) speech, and even
    furthermore when acted out into physical real world action.

Jeffrey
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited February 2013
    Bunks said:

Fyi, today's Buddha-Direct e-mail I received touched on this exact topic:

Q: Do bad thoughts in [themselves] lead to bad karma?

A: Thoughts themselves have very little karmic trace, which however grows accumulatively
    when repeated, or even more when solidified into (verbal or internal silent) speech, and even
    furthermore when acted out into physical real world action.

I find this "karmic trace" idea really off the wall, if many thoughts are being referred to. If just a few, that's another matter entirely and I'd let it go...

Of course
    our thoughts affect our karma. They create endless ripples somewhere in our consciousness. These are samskaras, i.e., mental entanglements that help form the makeup of our character. The impact of our mental characteristics on our actions is not to be taken lightly.

Bunkslobster
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    From the Sanskrit root kri, "to do," the word that Swami Vivekananda liked to use to help grasp a key nuance of the term karma was "work." The word action was too narrow for him to communicate the full scope of this Sanskrit term in all instances.

This concept of karma as "work" constitutes the core of Karma Yoga, which is to work for work's sake without anxiety about the results. Now, thought is work, also, and a very great work it is, too; no reasonable person would argue that mathematicians and professors are sitting on their duffs doing nothing while they are working in the realm of ideas both practical and theoretical. Likewise, while we are doing our physical work on the physical plane, our minds are also working with us. All that we "do" is work, is energy. Therefore, the feat of keeping a calm and quiet and charitable mind in the midst of a rude and sometimes confrontational world is a very great feat indeed. Our thoughts lay the best groundwork for what our work really means; what others think is their own problem.

Because all that we do is work, all that we are is work. Therefore, we carry our karma with us where'er we go —arguably in this life and the next and so on. The teachers of humankind point out that our life is what we do and we carry the responsibility for our actions with us; these actions don't fade away into the past completely, as the ripples from a thrown stone would do on a small puddle. Nay, the karmic pond is unending, or that is what the pandits would say, anyway.

In Buddhist thought, people are reincarnated along with past karma. The way I understand it, vortexes of energy —or even entanglements of energy, "samskaras"— whirl into future time with us. (Indeed, ultimately everything that exists is samskaras —entanglements of things— be they atoms, molecules, cells...)

So, I'd say that the karmic effects of thoughts, which are themselves karmic, are inscrutable. We are what we think, to a very large degree, and should guard our thoughts and our words.

Bunks
  • Bunks said:

I would like to think there isn't any unless you meant it and it makes you feel sick.
  • I think having repetetive negative thoughts just makes one less healthy and weaker.

But I hope that the conclusion from that isn't that the negative thoughts should be suppressed(not that it's even pissible for any length of time). They seem to not be significant in their own right but rather come from some root that we are barely conscious of , if at all. Seeing that root clearly, understanding it is what I strive for.

When I meditate and I am able to move out of my head, interesting things happen: it's as if something shifts and I can perceive the impersonal energy driving the thoughts. And when it becomes impersonal, a new degree of freedom often emerges, together with acceptance and compassion. Maybe that is what is meant by non-self?
    Bunks
  • Mind and body are connected.
    Bad 'mind' gives 'bad' body and vica versa