Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Blessing String Question

GlowGlow Veteran
edited January 2013 in Buddhism Basics
Today, I received a blessing from a Sri Lankan monk during which he tied a white string around my wrist. I understand this is a common practice in many Buddhist countries, but was wondering if anyone knew whether I am supposed to leave it on or take it off at a certain point (and, if so, what the right way to remove it is; cutting? untying?)?

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited January 2013
    I'm not 100% sure what the 'correct' way is, but most I know wear it until it falls off. Either way, though, I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's just a piece of string, after all.
    GlowsovaZero
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    edited January 2013
    Thanks, Jason! :) I looked online and found conflicting answers, so I guess it's not a big deal. I'm going to see how long I can wear it before it disintegrates, just for fun.
  • As many people in all countries still hold strong faith in superstitous, this is another form of offering a token of sort that can be physically felt, that the monk has chanted the blessing for them. In fact their chanting has true value of blessing beyond eyes. May all be blessed
    Glowsova
  • normally people remove it after three days, thinking it's possitive effect is no more

but

it depend on the person and his belief
    if one thinks it portect one from harm one can wear it until one can get another blessing string from a temple/monk

or

if one wants to go to a party and one thinks it is not nice to have a string attach to one's hand one can remove it the same day or next day

to remove it one can cut it or break it
    that doesn't make any difference

however
    one can use it as a reminder to keep out of unwholesome things (deed, speech, thought)

in that sense it has possitive effect for one's life any days, any time

so
    one has to decide how i take
    this string which comes with blessings from a monk

it depends on one's attitude

Glow
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    Thank you, Deepankar and upekka! :) I am usually not given to superstition, but I did feel quite a lot of metta surrounding me during the blessing and I find it quite soothing to look at the string. I like the idea of using it as a reminder to practice living skillfully. This has been a bit of a difficult time for me, so it is nice to have a small and simple reminder of the dharma.
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited January 2013
    my only experience with this was when I took the 8 lifetime precepts with Bhante G at Bhavana. After receiving my certificate and medallion, Bhante S then tied the string around my wrist. It was said this was a reminder of the precepts.

The wrist string broke after a few days.. but I still wear the little medallion with a string necklace( I tied the wrist string to the necklace) around my neck every day. So I'm not sure it's a superstitious thing.. but of a reminder thing. Reminds me of putting the string on your finger to not forget something.
    DeepankarGlow
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    In Thailand it seemed that the usual custom was to leave it on until it broke off.
    Glow
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    ...and then noticing how you feel about it, as it breaks....
    Surprised?
    Disappointed?
    A little bit sad?
    Pleased to let it go?

maybe that's the point - to evaluate your own attachment to things you thought were yours and seemed as if they would last for ever.....
    VastmindZeroGlow
  • edited January 2013
    Well! It is not possible to ask all beings to go to the forest or sort of nothing at all. Ceremonial is still necessary otherwise, all secular arts & craft etc would have to be superstitious as well. In a deeper side, those is yourself as well, just be natural like body died and decayed, things get fading away, sploit and discarded and dissolved into the nature, only different is a souless things :D
    Glow
  • Hope when he put it on it was not too tight, not too loose.
    BhikkhuJayasaraVastmindGlow