Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhahood in a year

The Plan

A new day, a new year, a new Buddha . . .

How hard can it be to be a Buddha, a Tathagata or awakened one? What does being a Buddha mean and require? Is being a Buddha required? Is Buddhahood the purpose of human existence or just the cessation of our sense of dissatisfaction? Is it one stage in our evolution? Different or the same as other paths of unfoldment?
Only one way to find out. I will have to wake up . . .

Well that is the plan.

There is an Irish joke. An Englishman is lost in Ireland. 'How do I get to town?' he asks a local.
'Well I would not start from here, if I were you . . . ' comes the reply.

In many ways we assume we have the means, method and capacity, just by stating the destination. It is a bit like people in a deam, asking a frog the way to 'wake up land'. Oh yes, wake up land may be as near as a whisper and as far as a star . . .

Are the three jewels our alam bell?

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    I have often wondered if the Buddhist path was the next step in the evolution of man?
  • Even if enlightenment is impossible isn't it a good life to work towards mental stability, clarity, generosity, and truth?

Are the alternative lifestyles satisfying? Once you search for the truth and find a piece of it you get some confidence and enthusiasm.
    Wisdom23
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    "What does being a Buddha mean and require? Is being a Buddha required?"

@lobster -- Being a Buddha (awake) is inescapable. Just check out what is not required.
    Deepankar
  • Jeffrey said:

Even if enlightenment is impossible isn't it a good life to work towards mental stability, clarity, generosity, and truth?

Are the alternative lifestyles satisfying? Once you search for the truth and find a piece of it you get some confidence and enthusiasm.

Agreed lol
  • genkaku said:

@lobster -- Being a Buddha (awake) is inescapable.

Are you awake? If not why has it escaped you?
    If the next stage in evolution, where is the evidence in increased capacity? Are those countries imbued with a Buddhist presence free of suffering, more developed in any noticeable way?
    Got to get back to basics here . . . otherwise it is back to sitting under trees, like the Buddha and Isaac Newton . . .

Citta
  • Jeffrey said:

Even if enlightenment is impossible isn't it a good life to work towards mental stability, clarity, generosity, and truth?

Is there anyone sane in the world who would disagree? Some people are a little lost but that would apply to our basic and natural instincts. A starting point would seem to require a little humility, a desire to help our fellow creatures, kindness, generosity and tolerance, a move towards a fair, balanced and equitable lifestyle. This is basic humanity.

If being awake is nothing more than humanism, then is it sufficient? Being a better person is something everyone strives towards, unless unbalanced or impeded.

My plan is Buddhahood. Awakening. Sometime in the next 12 months. What is your plan?
    :)
  • lobster said:

My plan is Buddhahood. Awakening. Sometime in the next 12 months. What is your plan?
    :)

My plan? Start a new workshop sometime in the next 12 months. I'm tired of having no place to work, and my tools are all rusting.
    lobster
  • BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    My plan? Taking vows with 10 other members of our little sangha. For Zennies this includes a lot of sewing - making rakasus.
  • Knowing there is a town is a great step ahead. Next is to understand the town, and journey on town and then ireland is town by itself. May i share the joys of your great awesomic vow and achievement of buddhahood within a year, moment or this lifetime for the benefit of all.
    lobster
  • benefit of all eh?
    we shall have to wait and see. I may have to start a little hinyana . . .
    Well only 11.5 months at most to go and already I am unloading the dishwasher in a state of mindfulness if nothing else . . .
    Those engaged in sewing and workshop creation seem to have the right idea, whilst I flounder with dreams of being awake . . .

I have started a postal meditation course, going right back to Five minutes meditation to start with . . .
    http://aromeditation.org/

Being so near to enlightenment in both time and theory is very humbling . . . Those of you expecting pre-enlightenment wisdom, don't hold your breath . . . :wave: