Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The problem with skepticism

DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
Buddhism teaches that skeptical doubt is one of the 5 hindrances to awakening, and yet a skeptic reifies skeptical doubt. Buddhism teaches the importance of faith as one of the 5 spiritual faculties, and yet for a skeptic faith is a dirty word.
A skeptic rejects any aspect of Buddhist teaching that looks religious, and views with suspicion anything that looks traditional.
How can a skeptic possibly understand Buddhist teachings?

Comments

• PatrPatr Veteran
    Yup, cant agree more.

Assume they fall into two broad categories; those who really cant comprehend certain aspects of the teachings and those who find it difficult because of their background.
    Whatever the reason might be.

There will always be sceptics time immemorial, no issue with that.

Only issue are those who are sceptical on certain aspects of Buddhism and attempt to spread their warped beliefs to others.
  • Ajahn Brahn:

5. Doubt refers to the disturbing inner questions at a time when one should be silently moving deeper. Doubt can question one's own ability "Can I do This?", or question the method "Is this the right way?", or even question the meaning "What is this?". It should be remembered that such questions are obstacles to meditation because they are asked at the wrong time and thus become an intrusion, obscuring one's clarity.

The Lord Buddha likened doubt to being lost in a desert, not recognizing any landmarks.

Such doubt is overcome by gathering clear instructions, having a good map, so that one can recognize the subtle landmarks in the unfamiliar territory of deep meditation and so know which way to go. Doubt in one's ability is overcome by nurturing self confidence with a good teacher. A meditation teacher is like a coach who convinces the sports team that they can succeed. The Lord Buddha stated that one can, one will, reach Jhana and Enlightenment if one carefully and patiently follows the instructions. The only uncertainty is 'when'! Experience also overcomes doubt about one's ability and also doubt whether this is the right path. As one realized for oneself the beautiful stages of the path, one discovers that one is indeed capable of the very highest, and that this is the path that leads one there.

The doubt that takes the form of constant assessing "Is this Jhana?" "How am I going?", is overcome by realizing that such questions are best left to the end, to the final couple of minutes of the meditation. A jury only makes its judgement at the end of the trial, when all the evidence has been presented. Similarly, a skillful meditator pursues a silent gathering of evidence, reviewing it only at the end to uncover its meaning.

The end of doubt, in meditation, is described by a mind which has full trust in the silence, and so doesn't interfere with any inner speech. Like having a good chauffeur, one sits silently on the journey out of trust in the driver.

Skeptical Buddhism doesn't mean "doubt everything" any more than being a stream enterer means "believe anything and everything". Skeptical Buddhists learn not to cling to their doubt in the same way other Buddhists have to learn not to cling to their beliefs.

I've met those who cling to their doubt. It doesn't matter what you say, they're looking for an argument. They're too busy looking for reasons to disagree to actually sit down and just practice. So no, the Sutra isn't saying being a Skeptical Buddhist is ignoring one of the hindrances. Does the "sloth" hindrance mean you must learn to live on 4 hours sleep a night and fill every waking moment with activity? Of course not. Nor does the Right Speech prohibition against idle chatter mean asking someone how their day is going breaks your precept.

JeffreySabre
  • The m i d d l e w a y ? ?
    hehehe
  • Patience, tolerance and forebearance engaging his skepticalism along the process of meditation. There was a scholar from a wealthy family and government official in the ancient era in 402 BC, very skeptical as well having strong doubt on factuality stated in Buddhism. He gathered a group and participated extensive and intensive retreat and enjoyed incredible achievement.

A man named Liu Yiming was staying at the Tong Lin Temple and had assembled a group of people to chant the Buddha's name. One day, while contemplating the magnificent image of the Buddha, he saw Amitabha Buddha appearing before him.

Liu Yiming wondered if Amitabha Buddha would touch his crown.

And Amitabha reached out his hand and touched Liu Yiming's crown.

Liu Yiming again wondered if Amitabha would clothe him with the Buddha's robe.

And Amitabha clothed him in the Buddha's robe.

Later, Liu Yiming passed away naturally and was reborn in Amitabha's Pure Land.

One good positivity of ancient intellectual and scholar was that they would put their skepticalism to test before they concluded it as like the above.

Skepticalism also may explore platform sutra that have a factual dialogue of zen master with a student seeking factuality of enlightenment mind :D
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Believers believe.
    Skeptics believe.
    Both have their useful functions.
    But the nice thing about Buddhism is that it offers the possibility of setting aside the doubts that all believers harbor and nourish.
    ThailandTom
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited January 2013
    I think it would be really interesting to look at the equivalent words to "skepticism" and "faith" on other languages. In Scottish Gaelic, for example, the translations for faith divide into two branches: creideamh (belief, faith, creed, religion) and creideas (confidence, credibility, credit, trust).

[Edit: I couldn't find entry for skepticism but just found it, apparently spelled scepticism in the Brit. Isles]

It's given as às-creideamh and dì-chreideamh, something like "incredulity" and "disbelief" respectively.
  • In buddhism faith is truth inherently, like all is having buddhaness is truth. And being informed of all beings having buddhaness is merely believing, the realization after meditation and/or realization from sutra study is faith. From faith further developing the 4 faculties in its veracity of virginity augmenting and developed faith in its buddhaness :D
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited January 2013
    In my opinion, not all doubt is bad from the Buddhist point of view.

In AN 3.65, for example, the Kalama's doubt and uncertainty about various doctrines leads them to a search for truth. Moreover, according to the Manual of Buddhist Terms and Doctrines, the Pali term vicikiccha, which is often translated as 'skeptical doubt' and 'uncertainty,' is described in the Visuddhimagga as "the lack of desire to think (things out i.e. to come to a conclusion; vigata-cikiccha, desiderative to √ cit, to think); it has the nature of wavering, and its manifestation is indecision and a divided attitude; its proximate cause is unwise attention to matters of doubt."

So the hindrance or fetter of doubt (vicikiccha-samyojana) isn't necessary doubt or skepticism so much as doubt that leads to indecision and extreme skepticism.

As for the attitude of Buddhism towards skepticism in general, I think it attempts to navigate a middle way between absolutism and extreme skepticism, as well as between the more well-known extremes of sever asceticism/self-mortification and excessive self-indulgence. For example, David Kalupahana offers an interesting perspective when he concludes in A History of Buddhist Philosophy that:
    "Whereas Sanjaya [a skeptic and original teacher of Sariputta and Maha-Mogallana] was reluctant to make any positive pronouncements through fear of falling into error, the Buddha was willing to recognize the limitations of human knowledge and provide a reasonable description of truth and reality without reaching out for ultimate objectivity. This approach allowed him to avoid any ontological or metaphysical commitments and deal with language in a more meaningful way. For these reasons, he refrained from either raising or answering questions relating to ultimate origins or destinies, questions that had haunted Indian philosophers for centuries...
    "If Absolutism is the result of reaching out for ultimate objectivity in philosophical discourse, and if extreme skepticism is the reason for the failure of such an enterprise, the Buddha, in his explanation of human experience, seems to have renounced the search for such objectivity and confined himself to a middle way, thereby renouncing both Absolutism and extreme skepticism." (21)
    All in all, I think there's some room for skepticism in Buddhism, and I don't see why a skeptical person couldn't eventually come to understand and appreciate the Buddha's teachings, particularly when faith or confidence can arise out of practicing and seeing the positive results regardless of the religious or traditional packaging the teachings themselves come in.
    SileJeffreySabre
  • Deepankar said:

In buddhism faith is truth inherently, like all is having buddhaness is truth. And being informed of all beings having buddhaness is merely believing, the realization after meditation and/or realization from sutra study is faith. From faith further developing the 4 faculties in its veracity of virginity augmenting and developed faith in its buddhaness :D

I beg your pardon ?
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Most of us here are "Western Buddhists", and most of us would not be here if we had not been skeptics about our previous religions.
    MaryAnnechela
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran

Buddhism teaches that skeptical doubt is one of the 5 hindrances to awakening, and yet a skeptic reifies skeptical doubt. Buddhism teaches the importance of faith as one of the 5 spiritual faculties, and yet for a skeptic faith is a dirty word.
    A skeptic rejects any aspect of Buddhist teaching that looks religious, and views with suspicion anything that looks traditional.

To answer your question directly, skepticism is no hindrance to understanding. Maybe you are asking the wrong question?

Some religious people have a tendency to view skepticism negatively, because they believe it corrosive to the meaning offered by their religious beliefs. The truth is however that skepticism can just as easily deepen faith.

So maybe you meant to ask: how can a skeptic possibly find Buddhist teachings meaningful?
  • I think what is referred to is times when you have doubt and your view is distorted. You might just roll up your mat and leave Buddhism. But if you persevere through doubt the doubt will eventually fall just because it is impermanent. So I think the doubt of the five hindrances is in afflicted times when we are discouraged. We have times like that and I just remember that my thinking is often distorted. And then it is almost a type of skepticism.. to 'doubt the doubt' and persevere. I don't think there is anything wrong with reasoning and thinking "this teaching does not make sense in my life". But if you are really committed you just use that in your practice. It is information of your clarity to see where you do not understand or agree with a teaching. At least you know what is on the plate, and where you disagree.
  • So I think doubt, the hindrance, is giving up. Whereas doubt/skepticism applies to scrutiny of dharma information for the purpose of 'getting it right'. We should try to get it right and see if the information makes sense, but we shouldn't give up altogether. The two are different but they are linked in that if you found a scripture you didn't believe in (or a guru) it might make you give up altogether. But that is not always true. You can doubt or scrutinize a teaching but still be confident in your efforts.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    It comes from experience. A skeptic only needs to "experience." Experience emotions that Buddhism outlines in many forms. It begins by asking questions and it goes from there.
  • I have seen the word "uncertainty" used as a translation for one of the 5 mental hindrances, and I prefer it as opposed to doubt. Obviously uncertainty and doubt are not the same thing. Uncertainty is more due to inexperience, and that can be changed through further progress in practice. Doubt is not necessarily negative, but we should use it wisely because it can keep us from exploring and investigating.
    Jeffrey
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    It seems to me that if one is not at least a little skeptical everything heard may as well be the truth.

Did Buddha say "Believe everything you are told about my teachings without question"?

I don't think so.

BunksDaltheJigsawlobster
  • Neti neti is a good thing to be aware of in this context
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neti_neti

What works? What makes improvements to ones wisdom, life and well being and those around one? I am skeptical there is anything better than Buddhism at present for the majority of people.
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    driedleaf said:

Doubt is not necessarily negative, but we should use it wisely because it can keep us from exploring and investigating.

It can also be the catalyst.

• Buddhism teaches that skeptical doubt is one of the 5 hindrances to awakening, and yet a skeptic reifies skeptical doubt. Buddhism teaches the importance of faith as one of the 5 spiritual faculties, and yet for a skeptic faith is a dirty word.
    Skeptic mind in practicing buddhism faith is the igorance of mind within mind. Faith in buddhism is the real immutable self of all beings. And the 5 spiritual faculties in Buddhism places importance on first, faith, and these five is basically developing on faith. The believing faith buddha is different from realization and actualization status of faith buddha. However, the latter 4 faculties will gradually develop this faith buddha into its origin. Therefore, in view of the aptitude of living beings owing to karma of the past, a supreme faith becomes gradual and spontaneous manifested in each and every sutra.
    Tantricity buddhism is exemplying as a profound, tradition and awesomic faith yet look religious. Most religiously look buddhism is basically a focus set of principle to draw the audience into good position. It also has a fanfare manner like sport, concert style to bring in people who are curious and indirectly aid them into good shape of themselve.

Sincerity in its utmost to completely appreciate and gratefulness of its teaching of Buddhism :D
    robotJeffrey
  • If you have questions concerning epistemology and Buddhism, you should research Dignaga and Dharmakirti. Skepticism is actually quote on par with Buddhist theories of knowledge. A lack of skepticism is a dangerous thing. Faith in the teaching must be brought about by experience and reason, not just by believing what someone else says because they happen to have the title of lama or zen master. This is outlined specifically in the Kalamatta Sutta.
    howStraight_Manlobsterchela
  • the thing about skepticism is knowing when you are right.
    MaryAnne
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Zengo said:

This is outlined specifically in the Kalamatta Sutta.

This sutta isn't promoting skepticism and disbelief, it's advising against blind belief - quite different things
    zenff said:

Spiritual awakening is bigger than dogmatic Buddhism.

Skepticism can be very dogmatic.

• zenff said:

At an extreme it can be. Your position seems to be that there is no room for skepticism in the middle way. Which is extreme.
    vinlyn
    robot said:

zenff said:

At an extreme it can be. Your position seems to be that there is no room for skepticism in the middle way. Which is extreme.
    No, I'm saying that the middle way is between ( above? ) skepticism and blind belief - an open mind.

• Perhaps this article may help http://blog.tsemtulku.com/tsem-tulku-rinpoche/videos/changing-beliefs.html

I quote:
    There is no right and wrong religion for you to personally follow… whether it be Buddhims, Islam, Taoism, Shintoism, Jainism, Sikkh, Christianity, Hinduism etc. They all fundamentally teach you the same thing: to be kind to others… not to cause harm to others and to do good deeds. To live with your fellow beings filled with honesty, kindness and not to harm in any way.

In Buddhism, we encourage practitioners to question. Not to doubt, but to find their own understanding through logical thinking. It is through realization of the teachings that those studying Buddhism can advance in their spiritual practice.

In the monasteries, we have debate courtyards where the monks would go after class to debate on what they have learnt. The monks would question each other on a topic and it may go on for hours until a logical answer has been found. If the monk cannot come to a formulated answer, it either means that he didn’t study well enough… or that there simply isn’t a logical conclusion. Questioning is the basis of deeper understanding in any subject divine or secular.

When we question things this way, we will base our acceptance of the teachings, not on blind faith, but on logic and understanding.
    MaryAnne
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited February 2013

robot said:

zenff said:

No, I'm saying that the middle way is between ( above? ) skepticism and blind belief - an open mind.

I guess I just don't agree that skepticism is the opposite of blind belief.
    I could see it is an antidote to blind belief perhaps. Unless it is carried to an extreme, in which case I would agree that it is a hindrance.
  • zenff said:

The definition of skepticism is not dogmatism. It can be dogmatic if taken to the extreme but so can anything, even Buddhism.
    MaryAnne
  • Buddhism teaches that skeptical doubt is one of the 5 hindrances to awakening, and yet a skeptic reifies skeptical doubt. Buddhism teaches the importance of faith as one of the 5 spiritual faculties, and yet for a skeptic faith is a dirty word.

Be a skeptic at the right moment. Be a skeptic when necessary. don't be a skeptic fof skeptic sake.
    vinlynMaryAnneJeffrey

• Skepticism doesn't mean one will always determine what they are skeptical about will be proven wrong; nor will it always determine what they are skeptical about will be proven right.

In my eyes, skepticism is nothing more (and nothing less) than the application of "critical thinking". What could be wrong with that?
    how
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Philosophical reasoning can prove or disprove things through logic that can't really be done through empirical observation. For example, take the sometime used example of Russell's teapot (a teapot orbiting the sun.) The basic point is that the teapot can't ever be empirically disproven so therefore someone could claim a belief in it and it couldn't be refuted. Its an analogy that is used in relation to the existence of God or other supernatural beliefs. Anyway, we can use logic to refute it saying a teapot is a manmade object and we can know whether a space program ever launched a teapot into orbit around the sun at some point. So empirically we can't ever say we don't see the teapot so it doesn't exist but logically we can disprove it.

I think my overall point is about the reification of empiricism into a dogmatic form of skepticism...

Or I'm just rambling. :scratch:
    Jeffrey
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited February 2013
    I have the (kind of bad) behavior to always respond to the opening post first, then read the rest of the thread. So if this has already been said, my apologies.

My 2 cents:

Doubt/skepticism is one of the five hindrances for meditation. Now it sounds like kind of a big thing, but we need to put it into perspective with the other four hindrances, which are aversion, craving, sleepiness and restlessness.

Now obviously, we all are sleepy sometimes. We all are restless, averted or craving sometimes, too. But all of these four do not happen all of the time. And likewise, neither is somebody doubtful all of the time... See where I'm going?

People are defined as 'skeptics', but putting such a label on someone is far from the truth. Nothing is constant, neither is 'being skeptic'. If one can let go of skeptical doubt during meditation alone, that's basically enough to come to understand Buddhism. It doesn't have to be replaced with faith, just as long as the questions are just put aside for the moment. Because if one can let it go during meditation, the mind can rest. It will get still and will get the power and insight needed to understand reality as it is.

Also, just like you can't just decide to not be sleepy, it's not like you can just decide not to have doubt/skepticism. It will stay until we've seen the Dhamma, the truth. That's only natural. Just as natural as being sleepy at times.

With metta,
    Sabre
    Jeffreyperson
    MaryAnne said:

In my eyes, skepticism is nothing more (and nothing less) than the application of "critical thinking". What could be wrong with that?

See here for definitions of skepticism:
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/skepticism

Note the primary definition ( No. 1 ): "An attitude of doubt or a disposition to incredulity..."
    Also have a look at the list of synonyms further down, which is quite revealing.
    Yaskan
  • Also, as some said before, that's not the kind of skepticism the Buddha was talking about. I'd say that'd be more the skepticism of meditation not working, for example. Or having doubts on what to do in meditation - things like that.

robot said:

Skepticism means a tendency towards doubt and disbelief - which is the opposite of a tendency towards unquestioning belief.
    Jason said:

Moreover, according to the Manual of Buddhist Terms and Doctrines, the Pali term vicikiccha, which is often translated as 'skeptical doubt' and 'uncertainty,' is described in the Visuddhimagga as "the lack of desire to think (things out i.e. to come to a conclusion; vigata-cikiccha, desiderative to √ cit, to think); it has the nature of wavering, and its manifestation is indecision and a divided attitude; its proximate cause is unwise attention to matters of doubt."

OK, but a continuously skeptical attitude is likely to increase unwise attention to matters of doubt.

• robot said:

Skepticism means a tendency towards doubt and disbelief - which is the opposite of a tendency towards unquestioning belief.
    May as well refer to the same definition that you used above:

skep·ti·cism noun \ˈskep-tə-ˌsi-zəm\

Definition of SKEPTICISM

: an attitude of doubt or a disposition to incredulity either in general or toward a particular object
    a : the doctrine that true knowledge or knowledge in a particular area is uncertain
    b : the method of suspended judgment, systematic doubt, or criticism characteristic of skeptics
    : doubt concerning basic religious principles (as immortality, providence, and revelation)

Which included:

skepticism noun (Concise Encyclopedia)
    Philosophical doubting of knowledge claims in various areas. From ancient to modern times, skeptics have challenged accepted views in metaphysics, science, morals, and religion. Pyrrhon of Elis (c. 360–272 BC) sought mental peace by avoiding commitment to any particular view; his approach gave rise in the lst century BC to Pyrrhonism, proponents of which sought to achieve suspension of judgment by systematically opposing various knowledge claims. One of its later leaders, Sextus Empiricus (2nd or 3rd century AD), strove for a state of imperturbability. Modern skeptical philosophers include Michel de Montaigne, Pierre Bayle, and David Hume.

Apparently a tendency toward disbelief is not included in these definitions.
    Moreover, these definitions describe a tendency toward holding no view over unfounded belief.
    Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I am even more convinced that a degree of healthy skepticism is a function of right view.
    Tosh
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited February 2013
    The most important question for me with my own skepticism is, is it manifesting as attachment or not?
    All the fine tunings of it's definition, better serve me by the results of that question.
  • robot said:

robot said:

: an attitude of doubt or a disposition to incredulity either in general or toward a particular object
    Apparently a tendency toward disbelief is not included in these definitions
    Disposition and tendency essentially mean the same thing in this context, as do disbelief and incredulity. The following is according to Google:

Tendency - An inclination toward a particular characteristic or type of behaviour.
    Synonyms - inclination, trend, propensity, leaning, proclivity

Disposition - 1. A person's inherent qualities of mind and character.
    2. An inclination or tendency.
    Synonyms - disposal, temper, nature, arrangement, character

Incredulous - (of a person or their manner) Unwilling or unable to believe something.
    Synonyms - mistrustful, unbelieving, sceptical, distrustful

Disbelief - 1. Inability or refusal to accept that something is true or real.
    2. Lack of faith in something.
    Synonyms - incredulity, distrust, mistrust, discredit

[Note: Just clarifying some definitions, not taking any sides or providing my opinion]
  • Yaskan said:

robot said:

robot said:

Apparently a tendency toward disbelief is not included in these definitions
    Disposition and tendency essentially mean the same thing in this context, as do disbelief and incredulity. The following is according to Google:

Tendency - An inclination toward a particular characteristic or type of behaviour.
    Synonyms - inclination, trend, propensity, leaning, proclivity

Disposition - 1. A person's inherent qualities of mind and character.
    2. An inclination or tendency.
    Synonyms - disposal, temper, nature, arrangement, character

Incredulous - (of a person or their manner) Unwilling or unable to believe something.
    Synonyms - mistrustful, unbelieving, sceptical, distrustful

Disbelief - 1. Inability or refusal to accept that something is true or real.
    2. Lack of faith in something.
    Synonyms - incredulity, distrust, mistrust, discredit

[Note: Just clarifying some definitions, not taking any sides or providing my opinion]
    Thanks for that.
    I think there is enough flexibility it the definition of skepticism to say that I may hold an attitude of doubt about a particular object, such as Hell or rebirth, and not have a general disposition to incredulity, and still be considered a skeptic.
    The notion of attaining mental peace through avoiding commitment to any particular view has a Madhyamaka ring to it.
  • The notion of attaining mental peace through avoiding commitment to any particular view has a Madhyamaka ring to it.
    Yes, I think so!
    robot said:

Apparently a tendency toward disbelief is not included in these definitions.
    I am even more convinced that a degree of healthy skepticism is a function of right view.

Did you see the list of synonyms?
    Synonyms: distrust, distrustfulness, dubiety, dubitation [archaic], incertitude, misdoubt, misgiving, mistrust, mistrustfulness, query, reservation, doubt, suspicion, uncertainty

Also I'm not sure what you mean by "healthy skepticsm"?

how said:

The most important question for me with my own skepticism is, is it manifesting as attachment or not?

Yes, it's a good question, and I think we all get attached to views - and of course views can stem from disbelief as well as belief.

• CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited February 2013

Do you really want to know? I am both a Skeptic and a practicing Buddhist for going on thirty years. I can respond to your statements and answer your questions, in the order you bring them up.

First, Buddhism teaches many things through the thousands of sutras that have been handed down, many of the statements profound and some nonsense and some contradictory. The old Monks did the best they could, but every religion is trying to sell you on a set of beliefs and considers the skeptical attitude to be the guard at the gateway of the mind, and Buddhism is no different.

Notice I said Buddhism is trying to sell you a set of beliefs. That doesn't mean they are false beliefs, or that the people trying to sell you these don't firmly believe they are true and only want your best interest.

Now, one of the unversal tools for avoiding the skeptical guard is to appeal to an "open mind" and say this skepticism is in some way a fault. Of course, what they mean is to have an open mind about their set of beliefs only. Remain skeptical about all that other nonsense the competing religions are trying to sell you. Why don't you believe in a creator God that rewards and punishes and requires our worship? Why aren't you going to their churches since anyone with an open mind has to believe? The Scientologists have a fascinating set of beliefs about ancient extraterrestrial superbeings inhabiting our bodies. Since skepticism is a flaw, why don't you believe this?

Because Buddhism does not use blind faith to authority to pound your skeptical mind into submission. Yes, to a skeptic "faith" is a dirty word. Guilty. Because the word faith has been redefined as blind belief and then elevated to some mystical attribute necessary for a spiritual life. Yes, we view with suspicion anything that is supposed to be accepted simply because it's traditional. Guilty. Tradition is another tool to kill the skeptical guard at the door. Something might be true and traditional both, or it might be bullshit and the only reason you've allowed yourself to be infected is because "it's Tradition!"

Now, how can a skeptical mind understand Buddhist traditions? Because Buddhism doesn't only appeal to blind belief or tradition. Buddhism appeals to reason and observation. Buddhism stands before the skeptical guard at the doorway to the mind and engages it in a conversation instead of a battle.

The only problem with skepticism that I can see is, it doesn't come naturally to most people for whatever reason. The world is full of "open minds" and look where it gets us. Every church out there has a preacher dumping beliefs into a room full of open minds.

A teacher out there will tell you, give him a room full of skeptical minds and he has a chance of teaching them something important and they might even teach him a thing or two before it's over.

robotMaryAnnevinlynSabre
    Cinorjer said:

You are attempting to portray skepticism as even-handed and objective, but it's actually a subtle form of aversion. This is clearly demonstrated by the definition and synonyms for skepticism above, which show that skepticism is characterised by incredulity and mistrust.

You are attempting to portray an open mind as gullibility, but actually it's the middle path between the mistrust of skepticism and unquestioning belief.

I remain skeptical about skepticism.
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited February 2013

Cinorjer said:

You are attempting to portray skepticism as even-handed and objective, but it's actually a subtle form of aversion. This is clearly demonstrated by the definition and synonyms for skepticism above, which show that skepticism is characterised by incredulity and mistrust.

You are attempting to portray an open mind as gullibility, but actually it's the middle path between the mistrust of skepticism and unquestioning belief.

I remain skeptical about skepticism.
    Good! Do what feels right for you. There are a thousand gates to the Dharma, and much of our practice is finding the one that will open for our particular mind. So what if our approach differs? I don't expect you to agree with me, but you asked and I answered. So now you know why and how this Skeptic approaches Buddhism.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited February 2013
    Nothing wrong with a bit of skepticism. We can use dictionaries to define skepticism, but do we really have to? What I see as skepticism is the usual interpretation of not taking on ideas blindly, but needing proof. Which is great, because nowhere did the Buddha asked us to accept things blindly.

But just to say it again, the hindrance of 'doubt' is not this kind of skepticism. It is actually a hindrance we are born with. It is the doubt of being unsure what the Dhamma is and why we meditate. We naturally have these questions until we see Dhamma. Just like we have the other hindrances like anger. Luckily, the hindrance of doubt is usually not that hard to put aside for a while, and it is not the hindrance that usually gives people the most problems.

When we see reality (Dhamma), doesn't mean we know everything, but we have no more shred of doubt about the four noble truths, about non-self and suffering, why we follow the path, why we meditate and what to do. The Dhamma becomes ingrained within us and we in the Dhamma. So the hindrance of doubt is gone. Simply to stop being skeptic doesn't do this, obviously. It comes from following the path, letting go. It doesn't matter if before this moment of understanding you were 'skeptic' or not, as long as you are able to let go.

With loadsa metta to ya all,
    Sabre
    Sabre said:

We can use dictionaries to define skepticism, but do we really have to? What I see as skepticism is the usual interpretation of not taking on ideas blindly, but needing proof.

I think it's important to consider the actual meaning of a word like skepticism, otherwise we come in with our own arbitrary definitions and end up talking at cross puroses.

As for proof, do you have any proof that enlightenment is possible - or is there an element of faith involved?