Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

is eating non-vegetarian food really needed? think again please.

misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a HinduIndia Veteran
edited January 2013 in Diet & Habits
somehow was browsing internet. saw this documentary link.

So sad to see this documentary film :(

Is this the way animals are treated? is eating non-veg food really needed?

my request to all is that if you eat non-vegetarian food, then please stop eating non-vegetarian food and eat only vegetarian food.
Invincible_summer

Comments

• I'll think about it. I was vegetarian for two years and eventually just broke down. It was so much easier to be with family. For example my mom had to be a vegie with me and I could tell she preferred meat. I will go vegetarian again when I am on my own down the road.
    lobster
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    I like to think things are getting a bit better.

My family try and buy meat products where the animal has lived a life free from unethical conditions.

I think some of the bigger supermarkets are getting on board too (certainly in Australia and the UK through the efforts of people like Jamie Oliver and Curtis Stone).

http://www.coles.com.au/Portals/0/content/pdf/News/Coles Announces Sow Stall Free Initiative.pdf

A certain supermarket in Australia also recently phased out selling eggs that are not free range.

• Factory farming methods are terrible on livestock -- of that there is no doubt. Not all meat does come from a factory farmed situation, though how costly it is and where you can find those options is going to depend on where you live.

I am an ovo-lacto vegetarian. I only ate meat a couple times a week for a number of years and then finally stopped all together after reading the Pure Land sutras (they have nothing to do with meat, but after reading about Amida's compassion I couldn't bring myself to eat animals anymore). I have also been cutting back on dairy products, though I strongly doubt I would ever be vegan. **Personally** I do think that vegetarianism is a good fit with Buddhism. I know there are many ways to interprate whether or not eating meat is considered ok or not, since there are some conflicting statements in the sutras. However, in focusing on the spirit of things, I simply could not justify continuing to eat meat.

Here's the thing though... (and why I don't believe dietary choices like this should be pushed on other people)

When it comes to food -- there are many factors that come in to play such as individual dietary needs, culture, family situation, availability etc. To ignore that these factors exist and assume that everyone can and should give up meat is to forget one's compassion for their fellow human beings. Pushing for better standards of care for animals as well as addressing environmental concerns is laudable. So is encouraging people to take the time to be mindful of where different foods come from so they can make more informed decisions -- remember that there are many ways to make a positive difference that don't involve giving up meat entirely. Eating less meat (many in the US eat more meat than is actually good for them), buying from sources that are more humane and ecologically sound, etc. We definitely need to ditch the want-more-fast-cheap mentality which helps creates unsustainable herds of livestock and encourages some attrocious methods of keeping animals.

However, the world is never going to be entirely vegetarian -- meat has been eaten for thousands of years and we are omnivores. I'm not trying to make excuses, but be realistic. There are some battles that simply can't be won and trying to fight them will turn off more people than help your cause (I don't eat meat, and I still get really put off by the rather militant vegetarian activist types). I'm not saying you are one of those types, but I think it's worth mentioning as I've seen that attitude in plenty of other places.
    Invincible_summerMaryAnnesukhita
  • I always buy free range if advertised. Organic is a little expensive for me though, actually that's vegies. I also always buy free trade coffee unless I am bored of the monotony of that single free trade coffee.
    Bunkslobster
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited January 2013

my request to all is that if you eat non-vegetarian food, then please stop eating non-vegetarian food and eat only vegetarian food.

do you care about the millions of beings that die for you to eat crops and veggies? or is it only the animals that people can make a movie about to get people emotional over?

no matter what you eat and how you eat it.. beings will die for you to eat.. this is just the nature of reality.
    sukhitaStormer
  • do you care about the millions of beings that die for you to eat crops and veggies?
    Insects during ploughing, crops sprayed during growing. Animals displaced, fields protected, habitats cleared.
    Existence is dukkha.
    Do you eat chocolate, 90% produced with child slavery? Cash crops keeping farmers in servitude etc . . .
    In short are you a smug veggie proseletizer? Hopefully not. :wave:
    vinlyn
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Even many who are vegetarian are ovo-lacto veggies, and the animals that factory farms use to produce eggs and milk aren't any better. The good news is, if you choose to eat those products there are ways to greatly reduce your funding of factory farming. Even very small rural areas now usually have a farm or 2 nearby who can help you know where you food is truly coming from. You can make better choices that simply going to the store and buying Jenni-O turkey. Do the best you can to make changes for the better of all beings. What "the best you can" 'is to each person is going to vary, and that is ok.
    lobstersukhita
  • Do the best you can to make changes for the better of all beings. What "the best you can" 'is to each person is going to vary, and that is ok.
    Pigs are wonderful creatures. Not everyone can avoid fish (bad cructacean! - eat your seaweed) . . . Eat the most ethical food your situation allow . . . Avoid leather, fur and animal killing clothes. Be kind to omnivores. Grow your own recycled grass (aka cows). Be kind to bananas. If in doubt eat less (anorexics exempted). Enjoy mindful cooking and munching. Every little helps . . . :D
    Bunks
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Jeffrey said:

I always buy free range if advertised. Organic is a little expensive for me though, actually that's vegies. I also always buy free trade coffee unless I am bored of the monotony of that single free trade coffee.

Where you live, are the terms "free range" and "organic" regulated by the government? If not, then any company can say their products are "free range" or "organic" without it really meaning anything.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited January 2013

Yes it is sad. It would be nice if we didn't do this to these animals. Is eating non-veg food really needed? The science generally says no it isn't, when you have a wide variety of choices to make in a supermarket. If you live in the plateaus of Tibet at 14,000 ft, then maybe it would be.
    vinlyn said:

My counter request is that vegetarians leave the rest of us alone.

But what if a person views animals in these videos as "beings who are in slavery and suffering and should be protected"? The animals are obviously suffering in these videos. Should they not be protected from harm? If you see a being who is suffering and you have the opportunity and potential to help them, would it not be a moral imperative to do so?

Jayantha said:

do you care about the millions of beings that die for you to eat crops and veggies? or is it only the animals that people can make a movie about to get people emotional over?

no matter what you eat and how you eat it.. beings will die for you to eat.. this is just the nature of reality.

Yet there is a still a huge difference between 100 beings dying and 1,000 beings dying. Growing grains to feed to cows and killing the cows, kills many more beings than just growing grains.

blu3reeInvincible_summer
  • If only I could have the forbidden apple!
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    Well, we humans are omnivores. So, I eat a little bit of everything edible. Get a nice stiry fry with sweet pea pods, tofu, baby corn, carrots, celery, cabbage, toss some chicken and pineapple in, mm good. Or steamed broccoli with some nice delicious salmon. Can't forget fruits and grains as well. I eat meat yeah, but it is a very small portion of my diet.
    Bunks
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    edited January 2013
    Will do what will do. But, thanks for sharing. It's a process that is like any other. Not only are animals being treated horribly, there is also so much crap in the meat that it only makes sense it cut it down.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    seeker242 said:

vinlyn said:

But what if a person views animals in these videos as "beings who are in slavery and suffering and should be protected"? The animals are obviously suffering in these videos. Should they not be protected from harm? If you see a being who is suffering and you have the opportunity and potential to help them, would it not be a moral imperative to do so?

Do you think there's any of us on here that couldn't nag others on the forum to death about any range of issues that we think are right.

Do you really want this forum to be the type of place where people say, "You're not a real Buddhist because you don't _________________________."

Because if that's what this forum is going to about, please tell me, and I'll be a heckuva lot more forceful about stating my opinions about other people's posts.

But those who have, in the past, got kicked off the forum.

Bunks
  • blu3reeblu3ree Veteran
    edited January 2013
    lobster said:

do you care about the millions of beings that die for you to eat crops and veggies?
    Insects during ploughing, crops sprayed during growing. Animals displaced, fields protected, habitats cleared.
    Existence is dukkha.
    Do you eat chocolate, 90% produced with child slavery? Cash crops keeping farmers in servitude etc . . .
    In short are you a smug veggie proseletizer? Hopefully not. :wave:

well if america would adopt policies of bringing birds to their farms through creating homes for them they would in return eat some insects and if we didn create such huge plots of land insects wouldnt be as big of a problem. the indians lived here much longer than we have and they never had these problems because they knew that one shouldnt tear up 5 acres of land and make it all for crops. rather they had a few spots in the forest where they had their crops. no one wins with plants being sprayed with insecticides because it then runs off the crops eventually and gets into the soil once there the plant probly soaks the pesticides up in its roots just like it does water.

also for the amount of beings that die for us to eat animals is much much greater you have to feed the animals for like 5-x years the food you would instead be eating then you have to provide them water. in place of animal protein their are nuts. there is a show on netflix called vegucated and they show how its 6x more energy inefficient to eat animals
    blu3ree said:

well if america would adopt policies of bringing birds to their farms through creating homes for them they would in return eat some insects and if we didn create such huge plots of land insects wouldnt be as big of a problem. the indians lived here much longer than we have and they never had these problems because they knew that one shouldnt tear up 5 acres of land and make it all for crops. rather they had a few spots in the forest where they had their crops. no one wins with plants being sprayed with insecticides because it then runs off the crops eventually and gets into the soil once there the plant probly soaks the pesticides up in its roots just like it does water.

It's difficult to get a real estimate of what the total NA population...I've seen stats that range from 1-18 million. As compared to the US population today of 315 million plus.

• I'm a vegan, because I believe that if I can live my life without causing others pain, I should.
    vinlyn said:

seeker242 said:

vinlyn said:

Do you think there's any of us on here that couldn't nag others on the forum to death about any range of issues that we think are right.

Do you really want this forum to be the type of place where people say, "You're not a real Buddhist because you don't _________________________."

Because if that's what this forum is going to about, please tell me, and I'll be a heckuva lot more forceful about stating my opinions about other people's posts.

But those who have, in the past, got kicked off the forum.

ya know what I say to that statement.. sadu sadu sadu :-D
  • blu3reeblu3ree Veteran
    edited January 2013
    It's difficult to get a real estimate of what the total NA population...I've seen stats that range from 1-18 million. As compared to the US population today of 315 million plus.

wait what NA pop 1-18 mil am i misunderstanding this or are these numbers goofed? are we talking about birds or people? i recognise the 315mil is of people in america but i remember seeing that a few years back plus with all the illegal immigrants flooding in from mexico it cant be accurate any way
    edited January 2013
    I think the point was (I might be wrong) that it wouldn't be possible to feed 315 million people in the way that the NA lived, which is true of course. However, the amount of food that goes to waste in the western world is truly astonishing. Keep track of it yourself sometime. for a week, set out a separate garbage that you throw your food scraps into-stuff you don't finish, stuff that goes bad in the fridge/freezer/cabinets and see how much you throw away. It's incredible. We can do a lot better simply by making smaller changes.

Vegetarianism isn't an option for our family. I'm not going to explain why for the 25th time, lol. But we have in the past few years incorporated more organic veggies and fruits, and more kindly raised meats as we've been able. We try to be more careful about what we waste, including when we happen to eat out. We started our own organic garden and try to add more to it every year.

I do recognize my responsibility towards harming life, and I try to make improvements constantly in that regard. Perhaps one day I will end up being vegetarian. But right now it isn't feasible so I do the best I can in other ways.
    MaryAnne
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited January 2013
    vinlyn said:

seeker242 said:

vinlyn said:

Agreed! But just making a post on a forum I don't think is nagging. Nobody is forcing anyone to read everything in every thread about vegetarianism. Buddhist forums tend to have threads about vegetarianism. It's common with all different kinds of Buddhist forums. It's a naturally occurring event that has been going on for years and years and it isn't going to stop. I don't see why that has to be a problem. If you don't like vegetarian threads, you just don't click on them! If a person does not like vegetarian threads, then why are they reading a vegetarian thread? To me, nagging is more like someone sitting next to you as you are just about to eat a bite of steak and saying "So hey, you know that's a dead animal you're eating right? So, when are you going to stop being a murderer?" Now something like that would be nagging! And yes that would also be a stupid thing to say to someone.
    No, but reading back, I haven't seen anyone say that. Someone requesting that others become vegetarians, I don't think is the same as saying "You're not a real Buddhist!". The only person who has spoke the words "You're not a real Buddhist", is you!

• I guess I would have to agree with seeker. If someone feels strongly about cruelty to animals in the meat business, they should go ahead and express their views.
    In a thread about vegetarianism is the place to do it.
    And they should have the right to not be badgered about it unless they go off topic about it in a different thread.

seeker242 said:

vinlyn said:

seeker242 said:

vinlyn said:

Agreed! But just making a post on a forum I don't think is nagging. Nobody is forcing anyone to read everything in every thread about vegetarianism. Buddhist forums tend to have threads about vegetarianism. It's common with all different kinds of Buddhist forums. It's a naturally occurring event that has been going on for years and years and it isn't going to stop. I don't see why that has to be a problem. If you don't like vegetarian threads, you just don't click on them! If a person does not like vegetarian threads, then why are they reading a vegetarian thread? To me, nagging is more like someone sitting next to you as you are just about to eat a bite of steak and saying "So hey, you know that's a dead animal you're eating right? So, when are you going to stop being a murderer?" Now something like that would be nagging! And yes that would also be a stupid thing to say to someone.
    No, but reading back, I haven't seen anyone say that. Someone requesting that others become vegetarians, I don't think is the same as saying "You're not a real Buddhist!". The only person who has spoke the words "You're not a real Buddhist", is you!

Oh, I thought we had the right to the read and post.

The nagging is in the repeated nature of these threads...like every few weeks...most often by the same individuals. That's practically the definition of nagging.

So let's take your philosophy in this post -- if you don't like my posts, then don't read them. I don't like all your posts, but sometimes I find some of your posts very insightful. I don't just read only what I like.

mfranzdorf
  • I think killing sentient animals is worse than killing barely sentient insects. Anyone with me on that?
    I think even agreeing with what the meaning of sentience should be is problematic.
    MaryAnne
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited January 2013
    Jeffrey said:

I think killing sentient animals is worse than killing barely sentient insects. Anyone with me on that?

I'm not convinced that a cockroach is any less sentient than a fish. Or perhaps a chicken. I've handled plenty of both.
    A big one flew into my room the other day. It was wandering around the bathroom when I went to catch it in a glass. As soon as I trapped it, it was startled and I could see that it was not going nuts in there, but searching for a way out. I only had it for a moment but I really felt that it was quite alert and bright.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2013
    I don't think a cockroach is as intelligent as a chicken or a pig, especially. I do agree that every being suffers. I am not an expert; this is just what I think.

Fun memory of waking up with a cockroach on my bare skin!
  • Some chickens are brighter than others. Seems to depend on the breed. Pretty small brain in all of them.
  • @Jeffrey

I'm no expert either, none of us are, as far as I see ....

But I, personally, make a big distinction between living things that can THINK, feel/express emotion (such as nurturing and protecting offspring, grief, etc) and experience pain; and other living things that have brains the size of a grain of rice -or smaller - and/or operate on physical survival instinct, alone.

@vinlyn-
    You are right, there are different viewpoints on what constitutes "sentience"...

The way I see it; warm-blooded mammals are pretty much all 'sentient' beings.
    While insects, reptiles, mollusks, fish, etc are more instinctual creatures functioning on a very limited, basic level of intelligence; about level with the instinctual functioning of a plant. This is "survival intelligence" - not problem solving, thinking, & nurturing intelligence.

To me, it's logical to make these distinctions and have some sort of "hierarchy" amongst living creatures. But I'm not saying lower level creatures and plants have NO 'value'... not saying that at all -- but they aren't 'sentient' beings, again, IMO.

• ArthurbodhiArthurbodhi Mars Veteran
    edited January 2013
    Some resent study shows that crustaceans like crabs also feel pain

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29915025/ns/technology_and_science-science/t/lobsters-crabs-feel-pain-study-shows/

Well, to me is obvious that if a being try to escape from it, then it feel pain, no need of study to demonstrate that. Plants can't escape to being captured and eaten so if they feel suffering is contraproductive to the plant, also some plant count on that to reproduce (like bees with pollen or birds with seeds, etc.). Anyways is difficult know exactly if a being, animal or plant can feel or not pain, so the best is try to cause the less suffering possible to any being.
    blu3ree
  • Some resent study shows that crustaceans like crabs also feel pain

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29915025/ns/technology_and_science-science/t/lobsters-crabs-feel-pain-study-shows/

Well, to me is obvious that if a being try to escape from it, then it feel pain, no need of study to demonstrate that. Plants can't escape to being captured and eaten so if they feel suffering is contraproductive to the plant, also some plant count on that to reproduce (like bees with pollen or birds with seeds, etc.). Anyways is difficult know exactly if a being, animal or plant can feel or not pain, so the best is try to cause the less suffering possible to any being.

yeah i couldnt imagine being a lobster and sitting in boiling water so much suffering
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Jason said:

The Buddha strongly suggested in various ways for us not to eat other beings, but told his monks it's OK as long as the meat and fish are pure in three ways: if it hasn't been seen, heard, or suspected to have been killed on purpose for them

This is problematic in our modern world, especially in industrialized countries. All meat products are killed on purpose for our consumption.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    Goddamn, chill out everyone. Harshin' my mellow and all that. And for what? be honest. Do any of you think you're going to convince the other on this?

Just lean back for a second.
    vinlyn
  • Octopus is a mollusk. Very tasty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octopus
    Invincible_summer
    edited January 2013
    robot said:

Octopus is a mollusk. Very tasty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octopus

And very intelligent, some compare it with that of dogs.

Here a small octopus gives a walk on dry land and leaves a souvenir to some tourists (maybe) :)
    Invincible_summerThailandTom
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited January 2013
    so this brings the topic as to what is sentience? i think sentience means awareness or consciousness. so i think sentient beings are those who are aware about themselves and their surroundings and are animate. so based on this, i think plants are not sentient beings. does anyone think here that plants are sentient beings? if yes, then please explain why too.
    MaryAnne
  • so this brings the topic as to what is sentience? i think sentience means awareness or consciousness. so i think sentient beings are those who are aware about themselves and their surroundings and are animate. so based on this, i think plants are not sentient beings. does anyone think here that plants are sentient beings? if yes, then please explain why too.

Trust us, you don't want to go there. We had a HUGE thread on whether or not plants are sentient beings. It raged on for pages. It was actually pretty interesting, but I think if you want to discuss that, you should either start a dedicated thread to that, or look up the old one. Try Google.

• ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
    edited January 2013
    Jeffrey said:

I don't think a cockroach is as intelligent as a chicken or a pig, especially. I do agree that every being suffers. I am not an expert; this is just what I think.

Fun memory of waking up with a cockroach on my bare skin!

Man I woke up with on my face last year, that scared the hell out of me.
    That octopus video... Is that evolution in action or something lol, kind of creepy.
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    Yes, yes it is needed, children need protein from meat when growing and even adults need it to help heal wounds, we are omnivores we are meant to eat meat and if we all rely on crops then there will be loads of crop shortages.
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited January 2013
    Dakini said:

so this brings the topic as to what is sentience? i think sentience means awareness or consciousness. so i think sentient beings are those who are aware about themselves and their surroundings and are animate. so based on this, i think plants are not sentient beings. does anyone think here that plants are sentient beings? if yes, then please explain why too.

Trust us, you don't want to go there. We had a HUGE thread on whether or not plants are sentient beings. It raged on for pages. It was actually pretty interesting, but I think if you want to discuss that, you should either start a dedicated thread to that, or look up the old one. Try Google.

lets then take the short route - what we can do is ask people here that are plants sentient beings as per them - the answer should be either yes or no or don't know - then we can count the number of yes and number of no - then whoever is in majority, their decision will be final - after all, democracy counts :) (even the yes and no can try to convince the don't know to their side and so their count can increase) so keep voting :D
  • Perhaps sentient beings from the perspective of the Buddha-dharma refers to the five categories of beings - gods, humans, animals, hungry ghosts, and hell beings. No mention of plants there. Also, animals are animals, some are not "lesser" animals than others. Just my 2c worth....
    robot
    Do I think plants are sentient? I will say, I don't know. I've read a lot of information lately on their ability to communicate and "warn" each other in their plant communities. So, I withhold judgement. 100 years ago we did not understand the intelligence of dolphins and whales, simply because we did not know. There is a whole lot more out there that we do not know. So, even though I eat both meat and plants, I do take care to show respect to all life, and that includes plants. I do believe a balance can be struck between still eating healthy and staying alive, and respect for all.
    MaryAnne

Yes, yes it is needed, children need protein from meat when growing and even adults need it to help heal wounds

Actually we require certain amino acids, fatty acids, minerals, and vitamins in specific amounts. That's all. It doesn't matter where they come from as long as we get enough. :)
    edited January 2013
    holy crap with this line of thinking " bugs aren't as "sentient" as bigger animals because their brain is smaller"... WOW... so much for metta, developing equanimity for all beings..

and yes I hold the same value to the life of a bug as I do a cow and myself. We are all sentient beings that wish to be well , happy, and peaceful, and we are all sentient beings in samsara where there is unavoidable suffering that cannot be stopped, only accepted.

so yes I view animals being slaughtered for meat and animals dying for crops in the same light.
  • I see it (saying animals = insect) as an unskilful practice of ahimsa. We DO have to choose between pigs and insects. We are not practicing ahimsa and the best thing to do is make it as minimal suffering as possible. From the utilitarian philosophy I would draw the conclusion that killing mammals such as pigs or even dolphins in fishing nets has superior utility of ahimsa than protecting an insect's life.

I still believe in metta to all sentient beings. Just if I have to choose between a pig or human and 30,000 insects I will choose the pig or human to save.
    Jayantha said:

and yes I hold the same value to the life of a bug as I do a cow and myself. We are all sentient beings that wish to be well , happy, and peaceful, and we are all sentient beings in samsara where there is unavoidable suffering that cannot be stopped, only accepted.

I'm glad you're not dealing with malaria and dengue fever in Southeast Asia. I guess you'd want to save the mosquitoes?

edited January 2013
    vinlyn said:

Jayantha said:

I'm glad you're not dealing with malaria and dengue fever in Southeast Asia. I guess you'd want to save the mosquitoes?

you mean Ajahn Mosquito as Ajahn Chah said? na I wouldn't swat at em. They kept me company in the woods this past summer while I was meditating. At one point I probably had 15 mosquitoes feeding from me at the same time. The worse part is the itching afterwards. Thankfully they don't have malaria and dengue fever(just west nile) in west virginia.. at least I don't think.

and I'm not screaming" save" any animal am I? as I've said I'm not even a vegetarian, I'm just speaking through equanimity with regards to all sentient life and the knowledge that there is and always will be dukkha in the world.