Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The first Nun

Here is the story of the first Nun. Interesting for a number of reasons. I have fortunately rarely come across dharma misogyny at Western dharma centres but be prepared for it in the text. Quite often I have found greater exemplars and practitioners amongst our sisters.
http://www.budsas.org/ebud/ebdha149.htm

I have always considered the Dharmakāya to trancend gender, just as the Buddha is a mother and father being. Do you feel the expression (not the experience) of realisation is different according to gender, age, location in time, space and culture?

PS. If I became a nun I would like to be known as 'The Wiser', then I would be Nun The Wiser . . . :clap:
BunksBhanteLuckyStraight_Man

Comments

• ZeroZero Veteran
    lobster said:

Do you feel the expression (not the experience) of realisation is different according to gender, age, location in time, space and culture?

I would assume so otherwise we would all be the same.
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited January 2013
    '....Do you feel the expression (not the experience) of realisation is different according to gender, age, location in time, space and culture? '

Of course. :mullet:
    lobster
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    If I were a nun I'd want to be called 'of the above'
    ZeroVastmindInvincible_summerlobster
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    'for the hills'
  • What about a monk named chip?
    Zeropersonlobster
  • Nun Sequitur
    ZeroJeffreyperson
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    Jeffrey said:

What about a monk named chip?

lolololol...I kept sitting here saying...Nun chip?? WTF?
    I don't get it....then...
    .......Duh! ChipMonk. lololol
    Bunks
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I see we've found our level..... :rolleyes:
    JeffreyInvincible_summerlobster
  • '....Do you feel the expression (not the experience) of realisation is different according to gender, age, location in time, space and culture? '

Of course.
    Then realisation is not an independent omniscience, or unworldly merge into dharma borg-hood? It is both personal and dependent?
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    My favorite Bhikkhuni( and one of my favorite people in Buddhist history period) is Patacara

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/hecker/wheel292.html#patacara

This woman lost every loved one in her life in one day, goes nuts, is brought out of that nuts by the Buddha and becomes one of the most famous female Arahants. Anyone who has experienced great loss in their life can definitely connect with this woman.

if you'd like to learn more about Bhikkhunis during the Buddha's time check out this exhaustive link - http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/hecker/wheel292.html

lobsterBunks