Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

"Sacrilege" of Images of the Buddha

TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
edited February 2013 in Buddhism Basics
http://www.lankaweb.com/news/items/2009/12/05/sacrilege-of-buddha-statue-for-unholy-purposes/

I myself know some people who have dozens of Buddha statues in their house and garden in not particularly respectful places who are non Buddhists as decorative pieces, and paint images of the Buddha and I think they are just doing it to kind of show off and it is a bit disrespectful. If someone who wasn't a Christian or Hindu started decorating there houses for non religious purposes with Jesus, Virgin Mary or Krishna or Ganesh statues it would not be respectful.
blu3ree

Comments

• NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    There's a Buddha statue or two laying around my house, and I painted a big Buddha face which hangs in the living room. I don't flatter myself that it's sacrilegious though. :o
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    A non-Buddhist having Buddhist art does not seem a bit disrespectful to me. Although, depending on how it was displayed, it could be.
  • People do use Christian iconography in that way already. It doesn't really bother me much, to be honest. If someone were using a religious themed piece in a way that was intentionally rude, that would be something else entirely, but I can't get too worked up over someone's choice of garden art. Look at it this way -- they were clearly drawn to these images for a reason, something had to resonate, so is that such a bad thing? Maybe seeing those images will effect someone positively -- plant a seed that will cause them to follow the dharma in their next life (or not, but you never know).And in some places it may be cultural, in the way that many people who are only nominally Christian or maybe not Christian at all celebrate Christmas. It's just something that's worked itself into the fabric of US culture. I do not know if that happens or not in countries that have a higher buddhist population, but I imagine it could.

What it really comes down to is that there is absolutely nothing you can do about it, and most people aren't trying to cause upset. So taking those two things into consideration, is it worth getting that worked up over?
    Jeffrey
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    edited January 2013
    The article was posted 3 years ago and I guess not much has changed.

In the UK at least, the image is synonymous with 'oriental' - we have the marketeers to thank for that and the people who make up the markets for that - I suppose it is a symbol that stereotypically captures all oriental people and on balance it is probably the least offensive of the options.

Humans are inclined towards symbolism - in part at least, symbols are our interface with the unfolding unknown - I dare say that Buddhism's surge of popularity in the west has some correlation with its market image - perhaps just a step in the journey ideas make through the fabric of our society.

I think also that the people who buy into the image are not purchasing a religious icon which would then lead them to sacrilege - they're making a lifestyle choice, not a religious statement.

I agree that it isn't respectful and I think it reflects, in some measure, the reality that the UK generally at least, does not respect (or strive to educate its population to understand) the image (or deeper symbolism) of any non-Abrahamic religion.

Or perhaps in an outwardly secular society, some symbols cause unrest (commercially undesirable) and therefore a 'just dont go there' policy applies and some don't (commercially desirable) so a 'make cash off it' policy applies.

I take the point that protest might bring the symbol into the commercially undesirable zone but overall in my mind at least we don't need more conflict - there's enough trouble with people kicking the s**t out of each other at every turn - seriously.

And then I came to, 'Well, who owns the image anyway?' - who am I to say where the image would be most appropriately placed? I asked my friend once why it was that he only had pictures of his grandparents with him and not any other members of his family - he said that his grandparents had passed away and he wished to remember them but his other family were still alive and he remembered them just fine! OK, so that's romanticising it but maybe there is a grain of something in there - perhaps inspiration is best placed where it is needed most!

Just some rambly thoughts really... overall, I advocate being respectful to others.
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    I'm not Hindu, but I want a Ganesha statue to go with my Buddha. I love what he represents (wisdom and removal of obsticles).

Am I being disrespectful?
    Nirvana
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    I'd like to think the Buddha would find it all kind of amusing.
    JeffreyDaftChrisBunkslobster
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited January 2013
    @BonsaiDoug
    Just imagine teaching 2500 years ago about "being a lamp onto youself" and the most direct path to the cessation of suffering and forbidding anyone from making a likeness of yourself and then being able to see into todays deification of your teachings

Amusing might be the response but I think it would more likely be, "Didn't anyone listen?"
    lobsterTBRulhInc88
  • I say take a middle road between deification on one hand and losing the benefits which a teacher and inspirational deities might offer. There are things outside of Buddhism that are respected as sacred such as grave sites. It's just a cultural construct, but there is beauty in both memorial of the dead and also veneration of bodhisattvas etc. A lot of mahayana sutras talk about Buddha's and bodhisattvas such as the Avatamsaka. So a beautiful and deep opening to the deities and asking them to awaken positive qualities.

Be a light unto yourself should be taken with the middle road. We all need help on the way even though our lamp of clarity might be ours alone.
    black_tea

Invincible_summer
  • GuiGui Veteran
    What a fuss we humans make over rocks and paint.
    lobster
    ^^ Ah, but it isn't about rocks and paint. It's about respect.
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    @lobster

Interesting...
  • GuiGui Veteran
    Respect for foolishness is not something for which I would go out of my way.
    lobster
    Respect for another person's religious beliefs is not foolishness.
    Invincible_summer
  • GuiGui Veteran
    That's not what I said. Nevermind.
    vinlyn said:

I thought Buddhism wasn't a religion?
    Nevermind said:

vinlyn said:

That's another question that has been discussed here often. Depends on the Buddhist.

• TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    @daftchris
    DaftChris said:

I'm not Hindu, but I want a Ganesha statue to go with my Buddha. I love what he represents (wisdom and removal of obsticles).

Am I being disrespectful?

Well not really because you're having him for the symbolic, deeper meaning other than the typical Western "Look at me, I am really cultured and sophistocated, look at my Asian stuff, I have no idea what it means but it looks cool"
    sukhita
    The main problem I have with these people just having Buddha statues up for decoration is that they lose there meaning and just become random statues without any link to anything, just ornaments and people forget what Buddhism is actually about, it gives people the wrong messages
    Nevermind said:

vinlyn said:

It is, its an atheistic religion.
  • it gives people the wrong messages
    Your respect is admirable and should certainly be extended to other symbols, other people, other religions. It is a good example we can not expect from others.
    Imposing our good intents, practices, respect, even decency, is not always possible. We offer free will and degrees of laxity in what really is not very important to some people, including some advanced Buddhists . . .
    http://approachingaro.org/no-holiness-vastness
  • The main problem I have with these people just having Buddha statues up for decoration is that they lose there meaning and just become random statues without any link to anything, just ornaments and people forget what Buddhism is actually about, it gives people the wrong messages

I don't think they lose their meaning. I think the meaning is there waiting to be unlocked.
    Sometime a person might see their statue in a certain light or from a new angle and their curiosity might be piqued.
    Or perhaps they may have to answer a guests question about it and find themself researching its meaning. Who knows.
    I'm not sure if there is a wrong message. Is there?
  • GuiGui Veteran
    IMO, either everything is sacred or nothing is sacred. It just seems ridiculous, to me, that statues and paintings can be more sacred than, say, bullfrogs or clouds. Or you and me.
    I have problems with the art of elevating the messenger to a godly state. It obscures the message.

...and one more thing. Who are "these people" anyway? And how do we know, and why should we care, why "these people" do the things they do?

• how said:

@BonsaiDoug
    Just imagine teaching 2500 years ago about "being a lamp onto youself" and the most direct path to the cessation of suffering and forbidding anyone from making a likeness of yourself and then being able to see into todays deification of your teachings

Amusing might be the response but I think it would more likely be, "Didn't anyone listen?"

I think before he had any kind of response, verbal or otherwise, he would have ascertained the intent and outcome of the actions and it is all good IMO - as far as humanly possible, given how many unenlightened humans exist on this planet today.

• Buddhist images have become art work and i don't have a problem with that because even if they do not see it as a sacred image, by people seeing the image itself, they will get dharma imprints which will open at a later stage. I know a lot of people have a problem with Buddha bars where large Buddha statues are placed in bars - the very hotbed of attachments! Again, i think it is okay to have them there because they plant seeds on the very people who wouldn't be seen dead in a temple. My teacher, Tsem Rinpoche, came up with an innovative concept of having Dharma outlets in shopping malls. Not only do the outlets give Buddhists the opportunity to invite home Buddhist prayer items, it also creates the cause for our Dharma centre to be self-sufficient (we are not-for-profit) also every single person who walks by our outlet or into and out again without buying anything will gain Dharma imprints.

I think when we start to judge if a Buddha image is disrespectful or sacrilegious, whether intended or not, and if we start to feel upset or affronted and it may lead to anger, it contradicts the very principles Buddha taught. And even if it was intended to be rude, it was from ignorance so we should be compassionate to the person involved.
    lobsterJeffreyMaryAnne
  • ZenBadgerZenBadger Derbyshire, UK Veteran
    sharonsaw said:

My teacher, Tsem Rinpoche, came up with an innovative concept of having Dharma outlets in shopping malls.

In the UK at least there is the Evolution chain of shops which I believe is still owned by the Triratna Buddhist Community and can be found in most shopping centres (malls). They sell lots of trinkety stuff, homewares and gifts for those of a hippy-ish persuasion but at the back of the shop is usually a rack of rather nice wooden, resin and brass Buddha statues in the East or South East Asian styles (Thai, Burmese, Chinese etc. rather than Indian or Tibetan). In the end, if you respect a statue you are really respecting the Buddha-nature that it represents, not the materials. If you disrespect a statue then you are disrespecting a lump of wood or brass that you wasted your hard earned cash upon. Without the idea that the statue represents Buddha-nature then there is nothing to disrespect other than mundane materials. With such an idea in mind I don't think anyone would intentionally cause disrespect. I haven't yet met an anti-buddhist who actually believed in Buddhism and wanted to cause harm to the Buddha in the same way that a Satanist might desecrate a church. That would require a duo-theist approach to Buddhism which does not exist as far as I know.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    This whole thread has got me wondering if I should try and be a little more respecting of religions in general. I'm not frequently offended by stuff and it's weird to me when others are. When no real harm is done, being offended is ultimately an attachment. I don't know... I just laughed really hard at the song "Rock Me Sexy Jesus" in Hamlet 2, but I know some people would really flip. Comedy has always had this issue.

But bringing the point back to art, I think people underestimate the effect of art. You might hang something on your wall and ignore it most days, but every now and then, you take a moment to look and it can really touch you. Why not have an image of the Buddha? It's certainly better than a lot of other things I could think of. This is also the same reason that the crucifix has always seemed weirdly morbid to me. What a thing to focus on...

• ...the crucifix has always seemed weirdly morbid to me. What a thing to focus on...

The link between the cross symbol and the crucifix as a method if execution is somewhat misleading - the symbol of the cross (both as a symbol and as a concept) is far older than christianity - the swatsika, for example, is at its core a cross.
  • @ZenBadger oh that's great to know that there are Buddhist outlets in malls in UK too!

@zombiegirl i like what you said about why not have an image of the Buddha... why not indeed :) It is certainly more beneficial than many things we hang on our walls :D
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    Zero said:

...the crucifix has always seemed weirdly morbid to me. What a thing to focus on...

The link between the cross symbol and the crucifix as a method if execution is somewhat misleading - the symbol of the cross (both as a symbol and as a concept) is far older than christianity - the swatsika, for example, is at its core a cross.
    I probably should have said the crucifix with Jesus hanging on it. That's what I was thinking of. Just the crucifix itself is sort of tame, but the popular version with Jesus hanging from it... Yeesh. When I considered myself a Christian, I used to prefer the pax symbol.
  • .... .... ..... ....It is, its an atheistic religion.

I think it was HHDL who said that Buddhism is a NON-THEISTIC practice rather than an ATHESTIC practice because it's not a question of saying that there are no gods but rather the practitioner need not rely on the gods for his salvation. What do you'll say?
  • sukhita said:

.... .... ..... ....It is, its an atheistic religion.

I think it was HHDL who said that Buddhism is a NON-THEISTIC practice rather than an ATHESTIC practice because it's not a question of saying that there are no gods but rather the practitioner need not rely on the gods for his salvation. What do you'll say?
    Non-Theistic sounds the most accurate to me. Whether a person considers it to be a religion or not seems to largely depend on how they define what 'religion' is.
    edited February 2013

Nevermind said:

vinlyn said:

It is, its an atheistic religion.
    Rather, I think it could honestly be said to not be a monotheistic religion. If indeed it has any significance whether or not God or Gods are involved. Aside from incurring the wrath of God or Gods that is!
    robot said:

The main problem I have with these people just having Buddha statues up for decoration is that they lose there meaning and just become random statues without any link to anything, just ornaments and people forget what Buddhism is actually about, it gives people the wrong messages

I don't think they lose their meaning. I think the meaning is there waiting to be unlocked.
    Sometime a person might see their statue in a certain light or from a new angle and their curiosity might be piqued.
    Or perhaps they may have to answer a guests question about it and find themself researching its meaning. Who knows.
    I'm not sure if there is a wrong message. Is there?
    Not really it spreads ignorance abotu Buddhism, for example why isw it that loads of people think that the laughing Buddha is the historical Buddha? because they see a bunch of idiots who have images of him in their home who don't actually know who he is meant to be and just tell them that t is a Buddha statue, it also is outrageous how people have Buddha Bars, f someone opened a Jesus or Mohammed bar their would be an outcry, for some reason it's ok to disrespect non-abrahamic religions
    Gui said:

IMO, either everything is sacred or nothing is sacred. It just seems ridiculous, to me, that statues and paintings can be more sacred than, say, bullfrogs or clouds. Or you and me.
    I have problems with the art of elevating the messenger to a godly state. It obscures the message.

...and one more thing. Who are "these people" anyway? And how do we know, and why should we care, why "these people" do the things they do?

Because "these people" are using images of things they have no right to own for shallow, improper reasons, mainly just to be arrogant show offs and to look all big and cultured.

• Because "these people" are using images of things they have no right to own for shallow, improper reasons, mainly just to be arrogant show offs and to look all big and cultured.

Who owns these images, exactly? Someone may own the right to reproduce a particular piece of artwork, but nobody specifically owns the likeness of the Buddha.

While some uses of Buddhist images may be more out there than others, for the most part you don't know what the mindset is of the people that bought them. Are you so sure they are all a bunch of arrogant show offs, or could it be that they thought that particular piece of art was attractive? Helped create a positive feeling in that space? You get the idea.

And if it is a commercial interest that you feel is being disrespectful -- vote with your wallet and don't go there/buy those products. Write them a letter to let them know of your concerns. That's about all you can do. At some point you have to let it go, or be angry everytime you see one of these images. There are many things that are (or should be) a lot more upsetting than the use of a particular image -- being angry about this seems like a misuse of energy.

Because "these people" are using images of things they have no right to own for shallow, improper reasons, mainly just to be arrogant show offs and to look all big and cultured.

Why do you think they have no "right" to own an artwork that includes an image of Buddha? You must be operating under laws of some entity of which we're not aware.

• I think it is relevant to remember that Buddha statues were not seen as an object of reverence for a couple of hundred years after the Buddha lived and died. There’s a good change the Buddha himself would have laughed his head off about the idea.

It’s a cultural thing in countries like Thailand or Burma; and so I think it is polite to show respect to a Buddha statue when you are in such a country.
    In our culture however a Buddha statue is the modern version of a garden gnome. No big deal.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited February 2013
    Wow..
    Teams, companies, products, countries & religions all have their identification symbols. Perhaps Buddhism would have faded into obscurity long ago had it not found it's own product identity.
    I believe my path in training over the years did involve coalescing various levels of worldly identification into one Buddhist identification. A spiritual version of debt consolidation.
    Compared to my earlier experiences of worldly chaos, it provided a consistency and understandability that felt very much like equanimity.
    This is the compounded delusion that IMHO caused the Buddha's admonishment to not create images of himself. The great comfort that it provides turns the path to the cessation of suffering into religious dead end.

It makes my wonder if the Buddha's predictions of the 500 year decline of his teaching was predicated on his belief that his disciples would follow his instructions to not externalize it.
    Although I think that folks will continue to make there ways along the path, todays Buddhism pushes a wall ahead of itself that few seem willing to scale for the emptiness that beckons before it..
    I do not think that the externalized tendencies of todays Buddhism prepares us for that step the way that the Buddha's original teaching intended.

I am not saying that there is a right way and a wrong way, just that todays Buddhism bulldozes a path that more can follow but ill prepares those pathwalkers for moving beyond the dozer debris piles. A 21 century spiritual traffic jam.

Just a thought.
    zenff said:

I think it is relevant to remember that Buddha statues were not seen as an object of reverence for a couple of hundred years after the Buddha lived and died. There’s a good change the Buddha himself would have laughed his head off about the idea.

It’s a cultural thing in countries like Thailand or Burma; and so I think it is polite to show respect to a Buddha statue when you are in such a country.
    In our culture however a Buddha statue is the modern version of a garden gnome. No big deal.

People should treat it with more respect than that though, if they are going to steal someone elses culture they should atleast show the decency to respect what they have copied, thats like buying a copy of a bible or quran and treang it disrescpectfully and thinking that its all right simply becasue in our cultutre is alright to abuse it.
    vinlyn
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited February 2013
    Reminds of a book title: "Dropping ashes on the Buddha"-
    Drop ashes on my Buddha, I would not be offended, but others might and it is out of this respect for others feelings and opinions that we are mindful of our actions.
    All the best,
    Todd
    vinlynMaryAnne
    zenff said:

I think it is relevant to remember that Buddha statues were not seen as an object of reverence for a couple of hundred years after the Buddha lived and died. There’s a good change the Buddha himself would have laughed his head off about the idea.

Two things:

First, I thought that there were NO Buddha statues until a couple of hundred years after the Buddha's death. I thought the first depictions in Buddhist iconography were things like the wheel of law.

Second, I think you miss the point of respect, which is key here, because Buddhism teaches respect for others...or doesn't it. Something of value to others ought to be respected, as in turn others should respect the things that you honor. So, in no society should a Buddha statue be looked on as equal value of a garden gnome.

edited February 2013

Gui said:

As mentioned in the first response I seem to be one of "these people," or I fit the description. There's a small statue of a Buddha in our living room and also a picture of a Buddha that I painted hanging on the wall. These two items do not serve 'religious purposes' in the sense that they are not part of any sort of Buddhist ritual that I perform. My wife bought and placed the statue. I'm not sure why, she's not a Buddhist. I think it was because she knows that I'm interested in Buddhism and it has been important to me. I think that's basically the reason for the Buddha painting also, it merely expresses what I feel important.

As for the charges of being shallow, showoffy, and trying to appear cultured, there may be some truth to that. I wouldn't say that my interest or participation in Buddhism was shallow, but I would not describe it as deep or terribly serious either.

I suppose that in some circles a few Buddhist artifacts displayed in the house may make the householder appear somewhat "cultured," but I would seriously question whether those circles are "cultured." Technically, none of us can escape being cultured, but I suspect you're referring to "higher" culture. There can be many subcultures within a culture. It's not clear which culture, subculture, or social strata would strongly value Buddhism. Can you or anyone else enlighten us?
    Nevermind said:

Gui said:

As mentioned in the first response I seem to be one of "these people," or I fit the description. There's a small statue of a Buddha in our living room and also a picture of a Buddha that I painted hanging on the wall. These two items do not serve 'religious purposes' in the sense that they are not part of any sort of Buddhist ritual that I perform. My wife bought and placed the statue. I'm not sure why, she's not a Buddhist. I think it was because she knows that I'm interested in Buddhism and it has been important to me. I think that's basically the reason for the Buddha painting also, it merely expresses what I feel important.

As for the charges of being shallow, showoffy, and trying to appear cultured, there may be some truth to that. I wouldn't say that my interest or participation in Buddhism was shallow, but I would not describe it as deep or terribly serious either.

I suppose that in some circles a few Buddhist artifacts displayed in the house may make the householder appear somewhat "cultured," but I would seriously question whether those circles are "cultured." Technically, none of us can escape being cultured, but I suspect you're referring to "higher" culture. There can be many subcultures within a culture. It's not clear which culture, subculture, or social strata would strongly value Buddhism. Can you or anyone else enlighten us?

Oh no I'm not saying you are shallow just most non buddhists who have buddha images, if you have it because you are interested in it and are one yourself I see nothing wrong.
  • A deliberate act of disrespect – intended to hurt someone else’s religious feelings is ... well not very nice. Flushing a Quran through the toilet is an example.

But at the other hand it is not very nice to impose one’s religious sensitivities upon others. No one can expect me to revere the Quran like they do. It simply doesn’t have the meaning to me it has to them.

Similarly I’m perfectly happy with my Buddha / garden gnome and I’m not after offending anyone’s feelings with it. I think I have the right to put a statue of a peaceful guy in my garden. If other people feel offended by that, it’s really their problem.

The way I feel about it I’m the product of my culture and I’m entitled to it. I can pick and choose from other cultures what I want. That’s not stealing. Culture is open and changing and divers. Religious fanatics can have problems with that, but it is their problem.

vinlynzombiegirl
    zenff said:

A deliberate act of disrespect – intended to hurt someone else’s religious feelings is ... well not very nice. Flushing a Quran through the toilet is an example.

But at the other hand it is not very nice to impose one’s religious sensitivities upon others. No one can expect me to revere the Quran like they do. It simply doesn’t have the meaning to me it has to them.

Similarly I’m perfectly happy with my Buddha / garden gnome and I’m not after offending anyone’s feelings with it. I think I have the right to put a statue of a peaceful guy in my garden. If other people feel offended by that, it’s really their problem.

The way I feel about it I’m the product of my culture and I’m entitled to it. I can pick and choose from other cultures what I want. That’s not stealing. Culture is open and changing and divers. Religious fanatics can have problems with that, but it is their problem.

But they should respect it more than a garden gnome, just because its not in their custom too but because it is the customs people who actually first use those statues, if they're going to mimick others ideas they should respect it, I as a Buddhist am very offended by people who just see it like that and after all it belongs to us not them so should they have it if they are not Buddhist anyway? No one expects them to treat the buddha statues the way that they do just not use them instead, I am originally a non-buddhist and I think they should stick to their own culture instead of nicking others, it kind of makes the west look like it has no culture of its own.

Nevermind said:

Gui said:

Oh no I'm not saying you are shallow just most non buddhists who have buddha images, if you have it because you are interested in it and are one yourself I see nothing wrong.
    But I fit your description. I don't use the items for religious purposes, for example. Have you changed your mind about that?
    Sorry I ment non buddhists who had it for a decorative purpose, not including a Buddhist who has it out of being interested in it or out of trying to express themselves, I myself have tried (and failed) to draw images of the Buddha not for my practice but because I was interested in it.
    I'm not a Buddhist. And anyone who displays art in their house is expressing themselves, in some way.
    Nevermind said:

I'm not a Buddhist. And anyone who displays art in their house is expressing themselves, in some way.

Well still, your interested in it and your clearly not just showing off, you are an exception, the funny thing is the person who I am talking about claims to be interested in Buddhism but is actualy the opposite off one and I am sure they are just doing it to show off because its in that person's nature.