Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Tanha

Tanha is generally translated as craving. I'm wondering what exactly craving is. It is my point of view that if one were to ask the Buddha, he would respond in one of two ways:
- Tanha is the root cause of pain.
- There are these three kinds of craving; craving for sense based pleasures, craving for existence, and craving for non-existence.
With that said, if one were to ask me, I would say that craving is a very subtle, almost imperceptible mechanism in the mind, a clamping down, a push, pull, or disregard of whatever is felt as painful, pleasant, or neither painful nor pleasant.
What is your opinion and why?
JeffreyJason

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    Dependent origination is helpful here for it inbues craving with a fluidity that our more usual still shots fail to fully capture.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited February 2013
    tikaL2o6 said:

Tanha is generally translated as craving. I'm wondering what exactly craving is. It is my point of view that if one were to ask the Buddha, he would respond in one of two ways:
    - Tanha is the root cause of pain.
    - There are these three kinds of craving; craving for sense based pleasures, craving for existence, and craving for non-existence.
    With that said, if one were to ask me, I would say that craving is a very subtle, almost imperceptible mechanism in the mind, a clamping down, a push, pull, or disregard of whatever is felt as painful, pleasant, or neither painful nor pleasant.
    What is your opinion and why?

Great question.

The way I see it, craving (tahna, literally 'thirst') is a very subtle but powerful aspect of our psychology that's directly tied to suffering. It's there, latent in the mind, waiting to exert its influence through mental fabrications by directing or at the very least encouraging the mind to feed upon sensory experiences via the five clinging-aggregates in an unhealthy way (e.g., see SN 12.52).

In this, I think it's distinct from biological wants or needs. When we're hungry, for example, our mind has a tendency to attach itself to the desire for food and create an identity around it, which can then create suffering in a number of ways, e.g., if we don't get what we want; if it doesn't live up to our expectations that we create around the attainment of our goal; if, in our greed, we eat too much and feel sick and lament our physical discomfort; etc.

Craving, then, isn't simply our desire to or for X; it's the beginning of a mental chain of events that turns our desires for things into the potential for suffering.

That's one way of looking at it, at any rate.
    tikaL2o6
  • That's great insight @Jason. It shines light on the whole process of the mind mixing with phenomena as they arise and pass away. When there is craving for an object, the mind will get involved in it and react in some way, but when craving is absent, phenomena come and go without any attachment.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    Jason said:
    "The way I see it, craving (tahna, literally 'thirst') is a very subtle but powerful aspect of our psychology that's directly tied to suffering. It's there, latent in the mind, waiting to exert its influence through mental fabrications by directing or at the very least encouraging the mind to feed upon sensory experiences via the five clinging-aggregates in an unhealthy way (e.g., see SN 12.52). "

My question about this thirst, which seems so different to me from desire (which could be directed outwards, wishing the well-being of others and things along that line) is this: Is it not just the mechanism within us that triggers our Greed for things for ourselves and those whom we love most dearly? I say this because desire can be a good thing in that it can motivate people towards pursuing good things even for strangers, whereas craving for things in themselves generally tends towards hoarding and things like that --things that weigh us down and hamper our freedom.

Maybe it's like pining vs whining when one is really out of control. I mean, the spirit can pine for beauty and freedom, and that's a goodly kind of desire; whereas if the self-aggrandizing tendencies are not kept in check, perhaps there is some sensory whining going on, demanding the attention and attachment of the poor sufferer.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2013
    I think pining is the Buddha Nature sensing that things could be free from suffering and experienced as sensitive joy. It's just the problem is we invest in strategies and beliefs to get what we want that are ultimately fruitless. In aversion we punch out at things and as if they are coated in tar we just keep getting more and more stuck. With tanha you can sit with a craving and pacify it, but then another pops up. My teacher says that the solution is to go into (rather than give) into the craving and feel it in the four mindfulness: body, feeling, realm of heart, and object of mind. So we see all of these body (etc) feelings for what they are rather than getting more confused and trying to 'fill up'.
    edited February 2013
    Sorry for the second post, but I had intended to point out that Tanha might be subtle in a refined man like our dear Jason, but is pretty apparent in the prevailing culture. I dunno about The Lord Buddha's day, but our market economy absolutely depends on it to survive even another week.

Powerful: yes, Subtle: No
  • I was just talking to a friend about this.

Not sure if this is even a good answer or even worth speaking about but I'll just put some observations I've had down here about this topic, which ironically is "The" topic of life.

For myself on this path I've come to notice the heart. It is an unconditional sadness, a longing. It is very physical and emotional. And there isn't a story why or how it got there. It just is inherently what the heart feels. When one interacts from this you really see people. You see their suffering, their confidence, their goodness, and how they all want the same thing. They all long to be real. They all long for this to be permanent. They all long for some connection, some truth, something.

And until one finds that its like we're constantly looking outwards to find this. What is this? The heart itself that longs. It is called bodhicitta.

So you see desire is a funny thing. On one level it makes us suffering, go insane. We just have this incredible desire towards or away from things. Yet we are not satisfied.

But when we practice the dharma we find this embryo in our hearts. and its totally free and its nothing we can manipulate. Nothing we can own, Yet it is the thing we all want, the thing we long for is ourselves. We long for our true essence, which cannot be found by intellectualism or cold analysis.

It is found by diving inside. By weeping. By looking at people and seeing them really seeing them and then weeping some more because.

well there is no reasons. you just fucking weep. and you're happy. and you're okay. and you want to connect and its all okay and its not okay.

so thats what craving is. the seed of enlightenment and the seed of suffering.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited February 2013
    Nirvana said:

My question about this thirst, which seems so different to me from desire (which could be directed outwards, wishing the well-being of others and things along that line) is this: Is it not just the mechanism within us that triggers our Greed for things for ourselves and those whom we love most dearly? I say this because desire can be a good thing in that it can motivate people towards pursuing good things even for strangers, whereas craving for things in themselves generally tends towards hoarding and things like that --things that weigh us down and hamper our freedom.

Maybe it's like pining vs whining when one is really out of control. I mean, the spirit can pine for beauty and freedom, and that's a goodly kind of desire; whereas if the self-aggrandizing tendencies are not kept in check, perhaps there is some sensory whining going on, demanding the attention and attachment of the poor sufferer.

I definitely thinks it's important to make a distinction between desire and craving, which, from a Buddhist point of view, are actually two different but closely related aspects of our psychology. Desire is a neutral term, and one generally has to have the desire to achieve a goal in order to achieve it, even nibbana (SN 51.15); whereas the Pali word for craving, tahna (literally 'thirst'), is something that's directly tied to suffering.

The second noble truth states that the origination of suffering is "the craving that makes for further becoming — accompanied by passion & delight, relishing now here & now there — i.e., craving for sensual pleasure, craving for becoming, craving for non-becoming" (SN 56.11). As Thanissaro Bhikkhu explains in Wings to Awakening:

Craving for sensuality, here, means the desire for sensual objects. Craving for becoming means the desire for the formation of states or realms of being that are not currently happening, while craving for non-becoming means the desire for the destruction or halting of any that are. "Passion and delight," here, is apparently a synonym for the "desire and passion" for the five aggregates that constitutes clinging/sustenance [III/H/ii].
    Desire, on the other hand, can be skillful (kusala) or unskillful (akusala) depending on the context. The desire for happiness, especially long-term welfare and happiness, is actually an important part of the Buddhist path. Moreover, desire is listed as one of the four bases of power (iddhipada), which themselves are included in the seven sets of qualities that lead to the end of suffering (MN 103). The four qualities listed in the bases of power are desire, persistence, intent and discrimination. In Wings to Awakening, Thanissaro Bhikkhu points to this passage:

There is the case where a monk develops the base of power endowed with concentration founded on desire & the fabrications of exertion, thinking, 'This desire of mine will be neither overly sluggish nor overly active, neither inwardly restricted nor outwardly scattered.' (Similarly with concentration founded on persistence, intent, and discrimination.)
    He goes on to explain that, "This passage shows that the problem lies not in the desire, effort, intent or discrimination, but in the fact that these qualities can be unskillfully applied or improperly tuned to their task." If we take a look at the exchange between Ananda and the brahmin Unnabha in SN 51.15, for example, we can see that the attainment of the goal is indeed achieved through desire, even though paradoxically, the goal is said to be the abandoning of desire. That's because at the end of the path desire, as well as the other three bases of power, subside on their own. As Ananda explains at the end of SN 51.15:

He earlier had the desire for the attainment of arahantship, and when he attained arahantship, the corresponding desire subsided. He earlier had aroused energy for the attainment of arahantship, and when he attained arahantship, the corresponding energy subsided. He earlier had made up his mind to attain arahantship, and when he attained arahantship, the corresponding resolution subsided. He earlier had made an investigation for the attainment of arahantship, and when he attained arahantship, the corresponding investigation subsided. (Bodhi)
    So, in essence, desire can be beneficial in certain contexts, and one shouldn't be worried about the desire to do skillful things. Craving, on the other hand, is something that, by its very nature, conditions suffering through the way it encourages the mind to feed upon sensory experiences and either causes it to intensely cling to pleasant experiences or violently push away unpleasant ones. It may have helped us at some point in our evolution as a species, but now it tends to do more harm than good.
    NirvanaBrian
    edited February 2013
    Thanks, Jason, for helping me think through this. Both the ideas from the tradition and the sources you cited have been very helpful to me in trying to make any real sense of it all.

SN 12.52, paragraphs 2 and 3 refer to "the allure of clingable phenomena," i.e., things that we can hanker after, such as material objects, warmth, friendship, pleasant memories, friendship, etc. That portion of scripture maintains that it is the focussing on the things or on their drawbacks that is the key. Not sure this is written in language really conducive to our modern mentalities, but the meaning is clear. As human animals, we do need some of these "clingable phenomena" in order to flourish, though. I guess the key to these passages is the "keeping the focus on" either the allure, if we are to perish spiritually, or on the transitoriness of these phenomena, if we are not to drown in worldliness.
  • @tikaL2o6 - I found this in my notebook:
    The way of the world is the way of tanha , an unquenchable thirst , a kind of craving that can never be satisfied. The masses, who follow this way, flow with the current of craving; seeking happiness by pursuing the objects in which they imagine they will find fulfillment. The Buddha's message is exactly the oppisite: the pull of craving is to be resisted and eventually abandoned. Craving is abandoned not because it is morally evil but because it is the main cause of dukkha (suffering). Thus, the turning away from craving and its drive for gratification is the key to happiness.
    In my opinion, the turning away from tanha (craving) may be a process of many levels as we progress along the 8F-Path. It possibly asises naturally from "dispassion" than from brute force.
    JasonNirvana
  • When the thought “I want this” comes up, can it simply be seen? Desire can be seen, and in that seeing there is no desire.–Toni Packer
    " If anyone were to say, 'Craving is the self,' that wouldn't be tenable. The arising & falling away of craving are discerned. And when its arising & falling away are discerned, it would follow that 'My self arises & falls away.' That's why it wouldn't be tenable if anyone were to say, 'Craving is the self.' ...................................... craving is not-self.

"Now, this is the path of practice leading to the cessation of self-identification.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.148.than.html
    @sukhita, I like to employ picture language whenever I can. For me, such is the glory of the languages of the Far East. To me, "turning away," is not as powerful as "turning off the spigot (faucet)" would be. Just a thought, @tikaL2o6.

"Turning away" is the meaning of repentance; perhaps that's where I get hung up, since I see Buddhist progress along the spiritual path as being more organic than Western process. I'll take progress over process any day.
    sukhita said:

In my opinion, the turning away from tanha (craving) may be a process of many levels as we progress along the 8F-Path. It possibly arises naturally from "dispassion" than from brute force.

Sukhita, I like your juxtaposition of "dispassion" and the "brute force" we might impose on ourselves. Turning away (i.e., repentance) is where we'd have to "gird our loins with great strength," so to speak, whereas dispassion is something that is "built up," as it were, over time —turning down the spigot (but never so abruptly as to force a counterproductive reaction).

Bit by bit, we turn the screw, and with less fuel spewing from the faucet, the pace slows...

• find and read 'vattu sutta/vattupama sutta'

if you have any one of unskillful quility out of those 16 unskillful qualities you have 'thanha'

there is no doubt you have more than one

i know i have more than one
    that is why i am here typing this post

:)