Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Can I vent about money?

I know everybody's different, and have different standards of living, but I think some people are just silly with their money.

I know of a married couple who easily make twice as much as me. They are accustomed to a higher standard of living than I am, but the things they spend their money on makes me shake my head.

They have cable tv with a few premium channels. Cable tv is expensive where we live. They still have magazine subscriptions to magazines that they don't really read. The furniture they buy are top brands and are very expensive. They shop at higher end grocers. They tons of shoes. They eat at expensive restaurant regularly. At least they don't have expensive cars.

I shake my head because they have a lot of debt and they complain about it, but are not willing to make cuts to pay it off. They are currently renting a house, but at the rate they get paid, I think they should already own a house within the years I've known them. On top of that, now they have an emergency and need money, they want me to help them out.

I'm not mad at them or anything, they are generally nice to me. I'm just disappointed in them.

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    It's not up to you to judge what they do with their personal lives. The only decision you really have to make is whether you want to help them, or not. Who knows what has led them to behave how they do. People's relationship with money is very complicated much of the time. What their financial priorities are shouldn't matter to anyone else. If you do decide to borrow them money, make a contract in writing for them to pay you back. I've seen more than one well-intentioned friend who loans money to another friend end up not only without the money they are owed, but without the friend as well.
    DaltheJigsawstill_learning
  • This is one of the things that led me to Buddhism. I used to be a worry wart about money- am I saving enough?, what's the stock market doing?, are my investments secure?, etc. I used get really bent with worrry. After a spiritual quest I came to the conclusion that the key to happiness is to count on nothing. There is no security. I'll be OK. No matter what happens I will just have to be resourceful.
    BunksDaltheJigsawstill_learningMaryAnne
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    I think that when it comes to money there's a very great number of us who live upriver (on De Nile).

Denial is a coping strategy that works for a lot of people, helping them (us) live without falling into a complete funk about how much work remains to be done to get to where they (we) need to be...
    still_learning
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

I know everybody's different, and have different standards of living, but I think some people are just silly with their money.

I know of a married couple who easily make twice as much as me. They are accustomed to a higher standard of living than I am, but the things they spend their money on makes me shake my head.

They have cable tv with a few premium channels. Cable tv is expensive where we live. They still have magazine subscriptions to magazines that they don't really read. The furniture they buy are top brands and are very expensive. They shop at higher end grocers. They tons of shoes. They eat at expensive restaurant regularly. At least they don't have expensive cars.

I shake my head because they have a lot of debt and they complain about it, but are not willing to make cuts to pay it off. They are currently renting a house, but at the rate they get paid, I think they should already own a house within the years I've known them. On top of that, now they have an emergency and need money, they want me to help them out.

I'm not mad at them or anything, they are generally nice to me. I'm just disappointed in them.

I was going to ask why it's your business until you mentioned they are asking for help from you. Aside from that, why is it your business?

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    A friend of mine once remarked, "Have you noticed how many people cry poverty as they drink their bottled water?"
    Invincible_summerDaltheJigsawstill_learning
    Yeah, and they complain about the price of gasoline, which is not even a fifth the price per liter. Go figure at all this entitlement we feel!
    DaltheJigsaw
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    I agree with what you say @karasti up to a point, but if these people are asking @still_learning to help them out financially, she / he is well within his / her rights to pass comment. People need to take responsibility for their actions.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.
    vinlyn said:

I was going to ask why it's your business until you mentioned they are asking for help from you. Aside from that, why is it your business?

There is no "aside from that". It's their business because they are being asked to help them out.
    Bunks said:

There is no "aside from that". It's their business because they are being asked to help them out.

So when I was visiting and living in Thailand, and there were so many beggars on the street, should I have interviewed them before I gave them some money? Had them fill out an application and asked for references before I bought them some drinking water? Visited where they lived to see their living conditions before I bought them some food?

The people in question have cable television. Oh my god! They are just like 77% of the rest of Americans.

Frankly, I think this almost sounds like a class thing.

I have no problem with whether the OP gives them help or not. Apparently they need it, but there are many other people out there with a greater need. But some of the judgements here don't seem very "metta-minded".

Zero
    The fact of the matter is that the OP DOES know their situation and it sounds like they have been irresponsible.

If it were me, I would help them out but make a point of commenting on exactly what she / he put in the post i.e. "I am happy to help you out this time but maybe you need to have a look at your lifestyle so this situation doesn't arise in the future...."
  • lobsterlobster Crusty Veteran

On top of that, now they have an emergency and need money, they want me to help them out.

People can be so kind, they want us to indulge what they want (not need). You too have an emergency, poverty and Sangha to fund.
    As for the rich, let them eat their own cake.

Do you notice how people bang their head against the wall and ask others to remove the wall?
    :rant:
    BunksInvincible_summerNirvana
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    I just tell people....I can't afford to help them out.

My money is on a tight budget, and unfortunetly,
    due to my own living expenses, caring for children,
    and like lobster said...throwing a few to the Sangha, and
    community...I'm tapped out. Don't take it personal.
    I just don't have any left.
    And yes....they make almost double what I make.
    vinlyn
    well, sometimes people project a situation a certain way because they are embarrassed about the truth. Perhaps the OP is also makes leaps of conclusion. I'm not saying that is the case, but I don't know that for sure. Just because they *have* all this stuff, do you know for a fact that they themselves paid for all of it? Is is possible there was an inheritance or something in there that is now gone or something? Anyhow, I'm just saying it's only one half the story, and I would be surprised if the people asking for money agreed with the assessment. Perhaps they would.

Also, for me, whether I borrowed people money in such a case would depend in part what it is for. What constitutes an emergency to one person does not constitute an emergency to me. Our family car blew up once and we could neither afford to repair or replace it. We rode bikes for 5 months, including into the snowy winter until we could save enough to buy some crap vehicle. An emergency for some. An inconvenience for us. Now if we are talking medical care for a child or something, that is completely different.

Either way always be cautious to loaning (assuming you are thinking loan and not a gift) money to anyone you are on any sort of personal basis with. If they already have bills they cannot pay, their owning to you will take a back seat over them saving their credit rating. One of my best friends borrowed $3000 to another mutual friend who had been through a rash of hard times, to help them save their small business. The person who borrowed the money talks all the time about their Keurig coffee maker and other things they buy but have made no attempt whatsoever to pay back any portion of the debt from 2 years ago. Not only did it destroy their friendship, but it destroyed the friendships that alot of us shared mutually. It's just not worth it. If you truly desire to help them and can afford to lose the money if they don't pay you back, then just give it freely. If you truly trust them to pay it back, write up a legally binding agreement. If you don't want to, or can't, then just say you are unable.

Though, I have to ask, either way, what is the point of venting? I ask myself this when I do it, so I'm asking here, too. Usually it is out of desire to wanting someone to agree with me and validate my feelings, whatever they are. Is it necessary?
    still_learning
    I still vent occasionally. I know it's not very "buddhist" but hey......
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran

They wouldn't be the first to be bailed out after mismanaging money. :o
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    edited February 2013
    Many people have problems with their money. Many people are spoiled by how much money they have. I think it is important to be "frugal," we are not talking about "cheap," we are talking about frugal, buying what you need, instead of what you want. I am working on living frugally as well as buying only the necessities. It is definitely easier to get into debt when we do not have the right education to know what are good assets and bad assets. I suggest people read, "Rich Dad Poor Dad," by Robert Kiyosaki, while the book has many issues, the jest and the grounding is great.
    Bunks said:

We have to start somewhere. At least you recognizing it! Baby-Steps!:)
    LeonBasin said:

Bunks said:

Thanks mate.....I am getting better!
  • Speaking of the bottled water- did you ever notice what Evian is spelled backwards?
    Zerostill_learning
    Bunks said:

LeonBasin said:

Bunks said:

Thanks mate.....I am getting better!

Welcome! :) Anytime!! Keep up the good work!!

I shake my head because they have a lot of debt and they complain about it, but are not willing to make cuts to pay it off... On top of that, now they have an emergency and need money, they want me to help them out.

Can I vent about money, too? Money is how the government "governs" our lives. Bartering systems are perhaps more eco-friendly and would definitely give people more control. If I found a neighbor with a greater income than me coming to me asking for a "loan," I think turning to the bartering system for cash might be a viable option, really putting no one out.

One trait of our monetary system which I find displeasing is how people can be so very fussy about things down to the very last detail or they won't sometimes even pay. Though necessary when you're dealing with precision instruments, fussiness is not very attractive in trivial matters. Our monetary system creates a lot of waste and runs up costs very significantly. In a way that coin with Caesar's face on it is an intrusion of the Emperor into every transfer of goods.

It's true that nature itself, in the very physiology of the cell, is superabounding in waste, but when that waste is compounded in the macrocosm, we see the dilemma that causes. Perhaps if governments don't engage our problems more, we might take things more often into our own hands with no reference to the Imperial Coin?

Just another thought...

DaltheJigsaw
  • I think they have every right to spend money they way they want. As far as I know, they've earned every penny of it. It didn't really bother me until they wanted help.

Why vent? I'm a little frustrated and it just feels good to let it out. To be honest, I didn't know venting was an unbuddhist thing to do. Why is it unbuddhist?

I've never been jealous of their money and what they have, I live comfortably on my salary, and I really don't find comfort or joy in having so many material things. However, is it bad of me to think, "I'm glad I don't have spending habits like them."
  • It's ok to turn them down if you feel like you can't afford to help, or that helping is inappropriate. Some people are better with money than others -- sometimes it just takes life experience to get better at it. I am far from perfect, though I have improved (sometimes life doesn't give you much choice).

Some of the things you mentioned seem like pretty easy things to cut back on (eating out frequently for example). Other things they may have a valid reason for. My money's tight, but I don't like to scimp to much on food costs, becasue I want to eat food that is healthier and prefereably produced in a more sustainable way. to me that is imporant as it has greater implications than just saving a little out of my pay check, but people's mileage varies when it comes to stuff like that. A lot of people are far from perfect and make at least some mistakes with money. That's part of being someone who isn't independantly wealthy. So try and be patient and compassionate towards them.

However, sometimes it does pay to be cautious when lending money. I'm not talking about giving money to charity, but things like bailing the people youi know out when they get into trouble. Sometimes the people and the situation is such that it is a good thing to do, but being financially entangled with other people can complicate things and cause resentment (happened with a friend of mine whom I helped out financially quite a lot while she was my roommate). The flip side holds true too -- be careful who you borrow from.

Bunks
    I suppose in part you are talking to me. And it wasn't so much that you chose to vent. Or that you chose to judge. Both are human traits that we all have, even when we don't like to admit that we do. In fact, it wasn't even so much your post that led me to respond.

What irked me just a bit was that your post, and another on a different thread about gay marriage, and another on a different thread about abortion exposed more clearly to me a dichotomy on this forum between a couple of general themes and when you get down to specific cases.

In general, if you were to read 10,000 posts on this forum you would see that it is often preached that we should not judge people. You would also see a theme that we should not vent/rant. That to do those things is not what being a Buddhist is all about.

But then you get down to specific posts. For example, people who are not in favor of gay marriage are to be shamed...or even worse if they thing being gay is morally wrong. Or how disgusting people are who are not in favor of legalized abortion. Wow, what happened to not judging others? What happened to loving metta towards all?

Well, what happens is that the person then doing the judging starts putting conditions on not judging others and loving metta for all. Statements start popping up like, "Well, they're on the wrong side of history." But let's see, it's pretty clear that on this planet, Buddhism is very much a minority religion. Are Buddhists, therefore, on the wrong side of history? In fact, considering the biography of Buddha and the history of Buddhism, you could probably say that Buddha was on the wrong side of history. In a majority of the world (remember to consider virtually all of Africa and the Middle East, and many countries in other places in the world), gay marriage is on the wrong side of the "now". And we don't really know what history will develop on issues such as gay marriage and abortion. We see a little slice of history...but so did Athens, and Rome, and the sun never setting on the British Empire, and the Third Reich.

And loving metta for all...unless you're Dick Cheney, or radical Muslims, or Evangelical Christians, Then the loving metta for all begins to falter.

Now, lest you think I'm being hypocritical (and I am from time to time), I do judge people, and I think it's a human trait that is sometimes wise...and I don't mind at all when others judge me by my actions...and my posts. I never claim to have loving metta for all...for most, yes, but not for all.

Invincible_summerlobsterBunks
  • Get it in writing if you lend. Also even with writing you may not get your money back.
    DaltheJigsaw
    @all, IMNSHO, forums like newbuddhist are built for venting. Most of the time that venting may just be a mild ventilation or airing of ideas, as was the OP. Sometimes we rant, and that's OK too if we're respectful of others.

@vinlyn, I think your position is very judgmental of judgmental attitudes. I think my Teacher and you think alike: "It's OK to have dogmas, but not OK to be dogmatic about them."
    still_learninglobster
    Nirvana said:

@vinlyn, I think your position is very judgmental of judgmental attitudes. I think my Teacher and you think alike: "It's OK to have dogmas, but not OK to be dogmatic about them."

Cool.

You know I was continuing to think about this thread. Isn't there a sutra where Buddha exhorts his followers to use wisdom in deciding with whom to associate...which, of course, requires making judgments about people.

• According to Myer-Brigs personality test some people gravitate to judge (me) and some gravitate to perceive. I think it takes skill to judge without hurting other people and us Js have to learn that skill.
    edited February 2013
    vinlyn said:

Isn't there a sutra where Buddha exhorts his followers to use wisdom in deciding with whom to associate...which, of course, requires making judgments about people.

I wish somebody would start a thread on finding sutras. The threads I start always fizzle out so I'm not doing it. However, where I commend you, @vinlyn, is your stance against harsh words/judgment of people who have meant and done no harm, really.

I'm dying to find the one where the Lord Buddha speaks about how terrible it is when a person who doesn't truly "get it" (the substance of a religion) becomes a teacher of it.

It looks like the poor folk in the USA are gonna have a lot of venting to do about money with the escalating payroll tax:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/08/business/restored-payroll-tax-pinches-those-with-the-smallest-checks.html

@Jeffrey, although just a borderline extrovert, cuz I like quiet, I'm an ENTP. I never could understand the J's, except as efficiency whips in business and the military. [wry smile]
  • vinlyn said:

I suppose in part you are talking to me. And it wasn't so much that you chose to vent. Or that you chose to judge. Both are human traits that we all have, even when we don't like to admit that we do. In fact, it wasn't even so much your post that led me to respond.

What irked me just a bit was that your post, and another on a different thread about gay marriage, and another on a different thread about abortion exposed more clearly to me a dichotomy on this forum between a couple of general themes and when you get down to specific cases.

In general, if you were to read 10,000 posts on this forum you would see that it is often preached that we should not judge people. You would also see a theme that we should not vent/rant. That to do those things is not what being a Buddhist is all about.

But then you get down to specific posts. For example, people who are not in favor of gay marriage are to be shamed...or even worse if they thing being gay is morally wrong. Or how disgusting people are who are not in favor of legalized abortion. Wow, what happened to not judging others? What happened to loving metta towards all?

Well, what happens is that the person then doing the judging starts putting conditions on not judging others and loving metta for all. Statements start popping up like, "Well, they're on the wrong side of history." But let's see, it's pretty clear that on this planet, Buddhism is very much a minority religion. Are Buddhists, therefore, on the wrong side of history? In fact, considering the biography of Buddha and the history of Buddhism, you could probably say that Buddha was on the wrong side of history. In a majority of the world (remember to consider virtually all of Africa and the Middle East, and many countries in other places in the world), gay marriage is on the wrong side of the "now". And we don't really know what history will develop on issues such as gay marriage and abortion. We see a little slice of history...but so did Athens, and Rome, and the sun never setting on the British Empire, and the Third Reich.

And loving metta for all...unless you're Dick Cheney, or radical Muslims, or Evangelical Christians, Then the loving metta for all begins to falter.

Now, lest you think I'm being hypocritical (and I am from time to time), I do judge people, and I think it's a human trait that is sometimes wise...and I don't mind at all when others judge me by my actions...and my posts. I never claim to have loving metta for all...for most, yes, but not for all.

:confused: Was this directed at me? I don't remember posting in gay marriage discussion, an abortion discussion, yes.

I hope I wasn't being too judgmental in my posts.

I thought I made it clear I was talking about general posts in this forum, not anyone specific.
  • @vinlyn

OIC.

:rockon:
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    This is what the Buddha said about money -

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an08/an08.054.nara.html

"Herein, Vyagghapajja, whatsoever wealth a householder is in possession of, obtained by dint of effort, collected by strength of arm, by the sweat of his brow, justly acquired by right means — such he husbands well by guarding and watching so that kings would not seize it, thieves would not steal it, fire would not burn it, water would not carry it away, nor ill-disposed heirs remove it. This is the accomplishment of watchfulness.

"What is balanced livelihood?

"Herein, Vyagghapajja, a householder knowing his income and expenses leads a balanced life, neither extravagant nor miserly, knowing that thus his income will stand in excess of his expenses, but not his expenses in excess of his income.

"Just as the goldsmith,[5] or an apprentice of his, knows, on holding up a balance, that by so much it has dipped down, by so much it has tilted up; even so a householder, knowing his income and expenses leads a balanced life, neither extravagant nor miserly, knowing that thus his income will stand in excess of his expenses, but not his expenses in excess of his income.

"If, Vyagghapajja, a householder with little income were to lead an extravagant life, there would be those who say — 'This person enjoys his property like one who eats wood-apple.'[6] If, Vyagghapajja, a householder with a large income were to lead a wretched life, there would be those who say — 'This person will die like a starveling.'

"The wealth thus amassed, Vyagghapajja, has four sources of destruction:

"(i) Debauchery, (ii) drunkenness, (iii) gambling, (iv) friendship, companionship and intimacy with evil-doers.

"There are four sources for the increase of amassed wealth: (i) abstinence from debauchery, (ii) abstinence from drunkenness, (iii) non-indulgence in gambling, (iv) friendship, companionship and intimacy with the good.
    DaltheJigsawVastmindBunksstill_learning
  • I know everybody's different, and have different standards of living, but I think some people are just silly with their money.

It's their money. Why worry?
    footiam said:

It's their money. Why worry?
    Because they want some of his.
    When a person knows they are being judged and it hurts them, can the judger then claim they are doing no harm? Regardless of which side you are on, you have to operate from a place of love and not pointing fingers on the other side.
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    This is where meditation can really shines. What's right, what's wrong, what helps, what doesn't, judging, interpreting, your position, their position, protecting oneself, etc. etc. can all just get dropped so that all that's left, is what is best to do.

This takes some trust that the answer, whether we like it or not, is just getting out of the way of all of our own obscuration.

Let us know what happens.
  • The more I observe people, the less logic I see in their behavior (and yes, that includes me). Our lives are rarely orderly or sensible. There is this craving in me for a logical, explainable world but that is futile. In fact, I am starting to suspect that could be one of the biggest sources of suffering...

I would try to find openness to and acceptance of your friends. Life is like that- erratic, impulsive, inquiet and then it ends. There is beauty there and I feel that seeing it is key to moving away from being stuck in ourselves. As Leonard Cohen sings, there is a crack in everything- that's how the light gets in.
    DaltheJigsaw