Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Were there two buddhas? by Stephen Knapp

absoluteabsolute Explorer
edited February 2013 in Buddhism Today
http://www.stephen-knapp.com/were_there_two_buddhas.htm ,read it and what do you think about it? i don't know who is stephen knapp but i think he don't know about buddhism. he thought there were two buddhas first buddha live in about 18000bce and this buddha was avatar, another buddha is gautama buddha.

Comments

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Many traditions credit a lot more than just two ....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_twenty-eight_Buddhas
  • yeah i know buddhists are believe in there are many buddhas live in other worlds and sakyamuni is not only one buddha and we will become buddha one day in future. but that idea means some hindus think there was a first buddha who lived in 18000 bce and he was a avatar of vishnu and only one adi buddha who's father name is ajanna look at this site http://www.bvml.org/SBBTM/mbavabad.html
  • oh sorry 1500 bce
  • BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    The Buddha said there were many Buddha's before him beyond count and will be many after. a story is told of him in a previous life meeting a previous Buddha.

Beyond that, and even WITH that... Who can really know, and should we really waste time caring?
  • absolute said:

http://www.stephen-knapp.com/were_there_two_buddhas.htm ,read it and what do you think about it? i don't know who is stephen knapp but i think he don't know about buddhism. he thought there were two buddhas first buddha live in about 18000bce and this buddha was avatar, another buddha is gautama buddha.

Stephen Knapp is wrong. Before, there were more than 2 Buddhas. Siddharta is the historical Buddha, the one who is in History book. There were supposed to be many more Buddhas before Siddharta, not necessary just Avatar. After him, it is said that there will be one called the laughing Buddha. Maybe, you'd be laughing now because it probably sound absurd and you could be right too since in actual fact, there are really two Buddhas as Stephen Knap said but he was wrong about that because he said the first live in 18000bce. Past or present, there will always just be 2 Buddhas, just you and me.
    lobster
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    edited February 2013
    Stephen Knapp is a crackpot, derided and scorned by serious historians and scholars.
    This is what he says at the end of the Two Buddhas article:
    "The real Vedic tradition points to the ways in which we can grow beyond our limitations and realize by direct perception our natural spiritual identity and reawaken our eternal loving relationship with the Supreme Spirit. This is the direction and ultimate goal of all truly Vedic processes of spiritual development. "
    He has been described as an American "Hindu Supremacist", who judges and sees all other beliefs in the light of his Hindu beliefs. That's fine, but he is a revisionist who then attempts to twist and re-write the histories of those other religions. He posts this gobbledygook online and people link to it thinking it's accurate.
    Hence he has "found" evidence in the Hindu scriptures that there were two Buddhas.
    Everything Knapp writes should be seen as propaganda.
  • I may perhaps be mistaken however and Siddhartha may in fact be the Lord Buddha predicted by the Srimad Bhagavatam.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

@Billl said:
    ...Prior to Siddhartha being born there was a Buddha named Lord Buddha who was a manifestation of god and he also preached nonviolence and the concept of void.

I would like to know what "serious evidence" you have about this.

This discussion has been closed.