Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Food and drink

blu3reeblu3ree Veteran
edited February 2013 in Diet & Habits
What does everyone eat?
I enjoy foods such as rice couscous tomatoes pita oatmeals peppers (not hot peppers) cucumbers carrots lettuce soy milk walnuts almonds pistachios avocados(when eaten with rice or couscous in a pita or wrap) occasionally eggs strawberries bananas and every other fruit not big into junk foods
This has made up the majority of my diet for around a year. Sometimes I feel like I'm missing key vitamins recently I learned how important b12 is for vegetarians to get into their diet so luckily the soy milk comes with around 45% a serv. Anyything I'm missing that's important in ones diet? I don't abide by the one meal a day or nothing afternoon mostly bc never really understood why this is important. But I do make efforts in not wasting food.

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    I am addicted to sushi rolls! I have to have them every few days. Mainly vegetarian but tuna is nice...
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited February 2013
    I follow a pescetarian diet, meaning that if fish is provided for me or if it's on a menu and sounds good, I'll have it. I don't prepare it myself though, as my gf is a vegetarian and we usually eat dinner together so I tend to cook something that we can both share.

My gf is also an ace baker, so - whether for good or bad - we always have a small selection of pastry dough or cookie dough in the freezer ready to go. She also works at a chocolate production company, so I get to help "taste test" lots of stuff. :p

As for what I eat on a daily basis - lots of eggs, tofu, and broccoli. My family eats lots of brown rice, though I don't care for it much. I like oatmeal for breakfast, and a vegan protein shake w/ strawberries for post-exercise or a snack.

EDIT: @Bunks - where I live, there's about 3-4 sushi joints within a 1.5 block radius of my house! I think there was a statistic that said there's more sushi restaurants per capita here in Vancouver than in Japan. If I have any attachments to food, it's definitely sushi.
    Bunks
  • As a lobster it is my destiny to eat fish. Mostly sardines. Yesterday I undercooked the liver, blood is red, don't doubt it. :sawed:
    At the moment cooking oatmeal/porridge with raisins and banana. I am quite happy being vegan, vegetarian, omnivore or carnivore. One day I may live on moonbeams but Inedia is best for the morbidly intake attached.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inedia

I do recommend fasting as a discipline measure but it can easily lead to body highs and errant behaviour, such as death. Be careful guys.

http://www.buddhisma2z.com/content.php?id=477

the pre-Buddha was a bit of a twat* when it came to food, we could have lost him and ended up Jains . . . thank goodness for the middle way, curry, Italian food and . . . Must stop . . . Getting the yums . . .

* it takes one to know one, and I am a shameless twat :o
    blu3ree
  • Fried noodles - food of the Gods (and me).

Yum.

I'd eat a lot more simply if it wasn't for this fussy family I have.
    blu3ree
  • Fried noodles - food of the Gods (and me).
    I say . . .yum . . .
    Reminds me of knopfli
    http://www.online-cookbook.com/goto/cook/rpage/0000C5
  • i'm a vegetarian so I love mushrooms, sweet corn, capsicums, basil, arugula, coriander, onions, garlic in various combinations!! I especially love hedgehog mushrooms, which are totally delicious!!

There's a popular soupy dish in Malaysia called "Steamboat" which you can read about here http://blog.tsemtulku.com/tsem-tulku-rinpoche/animals-vegetarianism/what-is-a-steamboat.html Easier than for me to explain it!! It's really good!
    Bunks
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I eat pot-noodles, because currently that's all I can afford.
    I also make my own mung-bean flour noodles, but there's only so much cold noodle salad you can take, in the winter.....
  • federica said:

I eat pot-noodles, because currently that's all I can afford.
    I also make my own mung-bean flour noodles, but there's only so much cold noodle salad you can take, in the winter.....

I'm so sorry !
    I forgot a big one lentils:) lots protein in em yummm
    @ Sharon wat are capsicums and arugula ?
    @ tosh I get a little spoiled when it comes to food my family eats meat like almost everyday!!!!
  • ZenBadgerZenBadger Derbyshire, UK Veteran
    I eat a lot of lettuce and salad cream sandwiches, at least once a day, sometimes twice. The rest of my intake seems to consist of fried onions, peppers, peas, eggs, fish, rice, noodles and home made cake.
  • I'm a vegetarian, though I do eat some eggs and dairy (have cut back). I like big salads for dinner -- greens, beans, golden raisins, olives, almonds, feta yum. Green curry with tofu, veggies, pineapple and cashews. Lentil soup, yogurt made from coconut -- I use hummus as a sandwich spread. I eat a lot of banannas since they make such a good portable snack. Also have to include crunchy peanut butter (the organic kind that has only two ingredients). Peanut butter bananna sandwiches are the bomb, lol. I admit to having a really bad sweet tooth, so I try and keep things like cookies out of the house. Oh, also drink lots of tea.
    blu3ree
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    @Invincible_summer

personal favourite
    3302 Main St. Vancouver. A dinky little hole in the wall with awlful decor but one that many sushi worshippers in the know make pilgrimages to for the taste and the price.
    BunksInvincible_summer
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Vitamin D. It is very hard to get from foods naturally which is why milk and cereal is fortified with it. In reality most people need FAR more than the RDA that is suggested. the 400-600IU is only enough to help you prevent disease. It is not optimum by any means. Because I don't drink much milk, I take it as a supplement. Because I live in a northern latitude, I take 3000 IU a day from Sept-May. I take 1800 during the summer. Vitamin D helps prevent autoimmune disease along with depression and all sorts of other issues. Unless you live in a tropical area and spend a lot of time outside without sunscreen or lots of clothing cover, you probably aren't getting enough.
  • Just say no to bugs.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    @sharonsaw
    Is there any vegetarian version of nasi lemak? When visiting Malaysia I fell in love with the dish, but I would like to see if I can conjure up/find a version w/o the fish... but then again it may not be the same!

@how
    I'll have to check the place out! I've seen it before but yeah, never paid much attention to it. Thanks :thumbsup:
  • @Invincible_summer i'm afraid i don't have the recipe for nasi lemak though there are many places here in Malaysia which have vegetarian versions. I will let you know if i find one! :)

@blu3ree capsicums are red/yellow/green peppers and arugula is a green vegetable/herb also called rocket :)

For vegetarians in Malaysia, do visit the Kechara Oasis restaurants (http://kechara.com/dining) - they are vegetarian and have dim sum and many tasty dishes, without garlic, onions nor egg.
    Invincible_summer