Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What is meditation?

I tried to find a simple way to answer this
question.
' to pay attention...'

that is the simple answer.
pay attention to what????

the most important is your thoughts.

if you pay attention to your thoughts
you are meditating.
ie observing your own thoughts as if
you were another person.

any thoughts?

Comments

• All there is is awareness and thoughts. Meditation relieves us of cycles of distractions.
  • hermitwin said:

Exactly!
    Attention to attention.
    :om:
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited February 2013

Awareness that doesn't touch all of the senses gates and skandhas seems directed to me. Many meditaters mainly experience meditation as the observation of the thoughts but with a little softening of that stance, a much wider world unfolds.
    lobster
  • Not-thinking-so-much-by-focussing-on-1-thing
  • Pay attention and be kind.
    lobster
  • hermitwin said:

I tried to find a simple way to answer this
    question.
    ' to pay attention...'

that is the simple answer.

the most important is your thoughts.

if you pay attention to your thoughts
    you are meditating.
    ie observing your own thoughts as if
    you were another person.

any thoughts?

Sounds sensible. Just that thoughts could provoke further thoughts. No equanimity here.
  • Literally broken down into simple terms, 'to medicate the mind'
  • A way to understand one's self without using language
    ThailandTomDandelion
  • A way to understand one's self without using language

Out of curiosity, I am aware that essentially the mind is meant to be trained to function without a running monologue, how far have you guys come with this in meditation and or in daily activities?
  • We need to pay attention in order to see suffering, its cause, its cessation, and the path leading to its cessation.
    taiyaki
  • I've tasted it.
    ThailandTom
  • Coming from my own experience in a Chan/Zen approach:

Echoing a similar sentiment to zenff above, I think of meditation as an act of total trust: accepting everything as perfect and complete just as it is—this is the significance of the ‘just’ in ‘just sitting’ (shikan-taza).

The only obstacle is that we can't be or do 'just' anything--we always want to add something extra, or tweak it, adjust it, change it--which is where we discriminate between 'this' and 'that.' Meditation seems so difficult because we seem unable to trust in THIS moment right here, right now--and so off we go chasing ghosts. So when we meditate, we actually notice our monkey mind for a change.

Of course, you can't stop that monkey mind--you can only observe it and over time, the monkey mind will settle because there are no more toys for it to rattle about. Counting the breath and concentrating on it serves as a provisional method toward 'just sitting.' Then there is no 'ought,' only 'is.'

There is a beautiful haiku by Issa that illustrates this profound trust of meditation perfectly:
    Simply trust:
    Do not the petals flutter down,
    Just like that?
    (translated by R.H. Blyth)
  • howhow Veteran Veteran
    Awareness often can remain a directed phenomina especially with those who believe that meditation is a specific experience. Mentality seems to be one of the most common sticking points of attention. It's just an extended version of "I think, therefore I am".

There are many forms and definitions of meditation on a site like this. My practise happens to be Zazen. It's not that one is better than another, but that each has it's effect. Understanding what that outcome tends to be means that the practishioner can better decide if it's the right one for them.
    When some one says that the most important aspect of meditation is paying attention to your thoughts... I sometimes say the most important aspect of meditation for me is to be unwaveringly present with an ever widening heart.
    riverflow
  • howhow Veteran Veteran

Our identity does not easy describe it's absence (enlightenment) any more understandably that it describes the process of it's own dissipation (meditation).
    riverflow
  • driedleaf said:

We need to pay attention in order to see suffering, its cause, its cessation, and the path leading to its cessation.

yeah I agree with this statement. buddhism offers a specific insight and specific expression for that insight, which is cessation/liberation from the three poisons. this cannot be stated enough.
  • Opening to each movement of body, feeling, citta, and object of consciousness. Open to each one as if all are of equal importance.