Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Should the people of a Sangha be welcoming?

DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
There are two temples in my town. A Thai Theravada temple that has been around since the mid-eighties and a Vietnamese temple currently in construction. I'm going to visit both to get a feel of which feels more natural. When I feel ready, I want to join one.

I know people are different and no two temples are the same, but, generally, should the people of a Buddhist community be welcoming of those who wish to join? Especially if the seeker is not of the temples ethnicity?

Comments

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Yes, but you may very well find a high degree of reserve when a new person outside of the ethnic group comes in. I think the key is to show keen interest in the cultural aspects of the experience, which will happen best if you are very humble about your own status as a Buddhist.
    riverflowDaftChrisBhikkhuJayasara
  • This is a topic that interests me too. It may be a few weeks yet, but I plan to drive just south of Memphis to the Sunday 'mindfulness day' at Magnolia Grove Monastery (which is affiliated with Thich Nhat Hahn's Plum Village. I've been a solo practitioner so this will be an interesting first.

chela
  • I remember reading a famous teacher was talking about how woman can't experience enlightenment. Then someone asked why is this? Woman are humans too! The teacher responded with so your a woman?

• blu3ree said:

I remember reading a famous teacher was talking about how woman can't experience enlightenment. Then someone asked why is this? Woman are humans too! The teacher responded with so your a woman?

The Sage Tilopa, I believe, was reported to tell one of his female students that it is more difficult for a woman to generate bodhichitta, but once generated, a woman's body is superior for realizing enlightenment.
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    riverflow said:

This is a topic that interests me too. It may be a few weeks yet, but I plan to drive just south of Memphis to the Sunday 'mindfulness day' at Magnolia Grove Monastery (which is affiliated with Thich Nhat Hahn's Plum Village. I've been a solo practitioner so this will be an interesting first.

Let us know how it goes.
    That's close enough to me, that
    I'm interested. :)
    Thanks to Congress, I will have some furlough
    days coming, and that would be a good chance to travel.

riverflow
  • @Vastminds - I'll let you know. I have some travel plans and after that I will be going. It is roughly an hour from where I live on the other side of the Mississippi.

Here is their website BTW: http://www.magnoliagrovemonastery.org
  • blu3ree said:

I remember reading a famous teacher was talking about how woman can't experience enlightenment. Then someone asked why is this? Woman are humans too! The teacher responded with so your a woman?

I'm not sure where the topic of women came from (???), but I've just got to quote Dogen:

"What is so exalted about a man? Space is space; the four elements are the four elements; the five aggregates are the five aggregates. For a woman it is the same thing. In acquiring the dharma, all acquire the dharma equally. All should pay homage to and hold in esteem one who has acquired the dharma. Do not make an issue of whether it is a man or a woman. This is the most wondrous law of the buddha."
    MaryAnneblack_teaJeffrey
  • DaftChris said:

There are two temples in my town. A Thai Theravada temple that has been around since the mid-eighties and a Vietnamese temple currently in construction. I'm going to visit both to get a feel of which feels more natural. When I feel ready, I want to join one.

I know people are different and no two temples are the same, but, generally, should the people of a Buddhist community be welcoming of those who wish to join? Especially if the seeker is not of the temples ethnicity?

Everyone, if they are human, should be welcoming; just that in our modern world, we get very suspicious of each other.
  • chelachela Veteran
    @DaftChris, I hope you have a good experience. I've heard others on this forum say that they were nervous, but found the experience warm. I am very nervous about going to a different culture's temple. I have found a few I want to try, but am not sure about whether I will understand anything and have too many fears right now about making a fool out of myself.

@riverflow you are so lucky-- I would LOVE to go to Magnolia Grove. Definitely let us know if you get a chance to visit.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    I don't think you should go with any expectations. There are no "shoulds" in this regard. In most sanghas, a new person comes in, sits down, and blends in, goes with the flow. No welcome is necessary, really.

I've heard good things about Vietnamese Zen, btw. You're lucky there's a center near you (or soon to be).
  • ThaoThao Veteran
    DaftChris said:

i am curious as to the name of the temple in construction. as in, do you live in san diego co?
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    edited March 2013
    Thao said:

DaftChris said:

i am curious as to the name of the temple in construction. as in, do you live in san diego co?
    I live in Augusta, Georgia and the name of the temple in construction is Chua Dieu Quang.
  • ThaoThao Veteran
    oh, i used to go to a vietnamese one in calif. and they are doing new construction now.

i really like the vietnamese people and really miss the sangha. i am an american, and i had never felt more welcomed than at the vietnamese monastery. in fact i called and talked to someone on the phone before showing up the next sunday. i was met at my car and shown around, given lunch, even food to take home, and then a robe, pillow, etc. all to keep. but of course, i don't think all monasteries are that generous. depends on the people.
    DaftChrisLucy_Begood
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    I think Thich Nhat Hanh is a good spokesperson for and example of Vietnamese Buddhism. I think if you have a chance to attend a Vietnamese center, you're very lucky. There aren't that many of them around.
    riverflow
  • jlljll Veteran
    dont expect people to be welcoming.
    everyone is different.
    it is not realistic to expect everyone to be welcoming.
    if you have a question, ask.
    i am sure someone will answer it.
    DaftChris said:

• I'm now 95% certain I will go this next Sunday to Batesville. For first-timers they suggest coming at 8:00 am for some general orientation I suppose. I wish I could go tomorrow but I've got some business to take care of in the morning. I'm really looking forward to this!
    chelaDaftChris