Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The best thing that happened to you today.

sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
Hello, recently I read a small blurb on the internets about positive thinking, how it can really transform one's life, and how a simple way to get the glorious snowball of love and happiness rolling down the mountain side toward an unsuspecting village is to jot down one or a few great experiences you had today. Reflect happily on them. :D

Please share a highlight from your day. I'll go first, today I met a really friendly lady on the street with one leg. She smiled and told me that it is nice and sunny out.
Invincible_summerMaryAnneVastmindriverflowlobsternenkohaiSillyPutty

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Reading about these bright spots in all your day certainly gave me a smile.
    sovaInvincible_summerblu3ree
  • Jeffrey said:

I made spaghetti different from how I usually make it and it was fun to experiment.

@Jeffrey - Neither the "insightful" nor the "awesome" buttons don't really apply here--we need a "Yum!" button!
    lobsterVastmindsovaJeffrey
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran

I'm still alive!

Exactly! I've gotten into the habit each morning to be thankful that I didn't die overnight, and that I have yet another day to enjoy and practice.
    sovariverflowJeffrey
  • MaryAnneMaryAnne Veteran
    edited April 2013
    So many of you posted AWESOME happy moments of the day!
    I'm too lazy to click on the awesome badge for each one.... so one big
    {{{{{ happy hug }}}}}} for you all! :D
    lobsterriverflowJeffreysova
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    I got a big hug from a Franciscan Monk who I am friends with.
    He cooked me delicious sausages, which I ate as he read the gospels to me.
    Thousand year old tradition apparently.
    Reading and eating I mean, not sausages.
    riverflowJeffreysovalobster
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    nothing special and everything special.
    riverflowsova
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I have got the most raging toothache ever.
    It focuses the mind on the 'Now' wonderfully...... :buck:
    Jeffreysovablu3ree
  • Peach blossoms in the courtyard at the hospital I work at... white petals floating down everywhere and busy bees doing their work. It was such a surprise seeing that today.
    Jeffreysova
  • sova said:

Please share a highlight from your day.

BTW, this is a lovely thread to have started @sova - thank you.
  • JimyoJimyo Explorer
    2 stand out moments were walking to the office on a fresh spring morning (my favourite time of year) listening to the new Jimi Hendrix album and getting a text from my girlfriend saying 'Arr Arr...Guess what I am.' I guessed seagull but she was a sealion. So close! It made me smile hugely though. I hope everyone is well.
    sovaJeffrey
  • @federica. So sorry to hear of the raging toothache. I used to suffer terribly from them myself, so I know the excruciating pain involved.
    Please feel better soon and try to see a dentist ASAP. In the meantime try clove oil on a small cotton wad or gauze and swab the tooth with it if you can reach it well enough.
  • the magnolia blossoms are magnificent! :)
    riverflowJeffrey
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Jimyo said:

2 stand out moments were walking to the office on a fresh spring morning (my favourite time of year) listening to the new Jimi Hendrix album and getting a text from my girlfriend saying 'Arr Arr...Guess what I am.' I guessed seagull but she was a sealion. So close! It made me smile hugely though. I hope everyone is well.

(A segull looks nothing like a sealion....) :scratch:

:lol:

MaryAnne said:

@federica. So sorry to hear of the raging toothache. I used to suffer terribly from them myself, so I know the excruciating pain involved.
    Please feel better soon and try to see a dentist ASAP. In the meantime try clove oil on a small cotton wad or gauze and swab the tooth with it if you can reach it well enough.

Am contacting the local dental hospital tomorrow.
    Can't afford to visit my dentist, as even on our National Health system, it would cost me money I don't have....

I know clove oil works wonders. I shall have to get some - although the taste is truly foul. But again, it's money..... :rolleyes:

I read' swap' for a second.
    I thought swapping would be an excellent idea! :lol:
    MaryAnne
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited April 2013
    A little Brahms made me smile inside.

Thanks everybody.
    nenkohai
  • The best thing that happened to me today? Well, that's easy: logging into this forum. If that's the best thing, you can imagine how bad my day must have been.
  • @federica - yes, do follow up on that tooth -- the pain is bad enough, of course-- but if it is an abscess (or develops into an abscess) it could potentially become a serious health issue. At least make sure that it is *just* a toothache...
    @riverflow, bless you for your concern.
    I used to be a dental nurse, so I well understand the pitfalls of oral abscesses - and sad to say, I have had a couple.
    I have a degenerative bone disease, which I inherited from my father.... Thanks pops!
    I have teeth anyone would be proud of - sound, strong and intact - but the jawbone has problems, and I also suffer from nocturnal Bruxism, which compounds the problem wonderfully!

I shall very definitely be addressing this issue sooner rather than later.

Thanks all for your kind thoughts.

Another wonderful thing that happened today!! :thumbsup:
    riverflowsovaJeffreynenkohai
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    @lamaramadingdong It feels so good to make progress in PT.
    @federica I had luck with tea bags on a toothache as well. I believe it is the catechins in the tea, I don't recall if certain teas have more. But I know it did help until I could see the dentist. I hope you feel better soon, tooth pain is the worst.
    nenkohai
  • Best thing that happened to me today -- I started out feeling like I was coming down with a respiratory bug, but at this point I think it was just bad allergies. Probably tree pollen. This is a relief since I can't really afford to miss work.
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran
    At work today I saw this woman trying to take a photo of a poster of a girl rock climbing. She said she met a nice young man in Austria who was also a climber and she said she'd find him a girlfriend, so she wanted to send him the picture. She was trying to figure out an angle that didn't have too much glare on the glass. Then she gave me a pink slip of paper that said "good for one free hug" and along the border it said "I'll hug you if you hug me i'll hug you if you hug me ..."

We shared a great hug.
    lobster
    karasti said:

@lamaramadingdong It feels so good to make progress in PT.
    @federica I had luck with tea bags on a toothache as well. I believe it is the catechins in the tea, I don't recall if certain teas have more. But I know it did help until I could see the dentist. I hope you feel better soon, tooth pain is the worst.

It worked very well.
    particularly after I soaked the teabags in neat gin.

(Joking!)

Actually, I'm having a nice cuppa now, before retiring... early shift tomorrow! :wave:
    sova
  • fed- glad to hear you're feeling better. Tooth pain can be a special kind of hell.
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    As I mentioned yesterday I brought my truck into the shop for the brakes. Anyway there has been a crack in the windshield that I wasn't sure if insurance covered and was too lazy to bother finding out. Apparently there is an auto glass shop attached to my mechanic, the manager called me and we got a hold of my insurance to find out I have full coverage on glass so that will also be fixed for no direct cost to me.
    karastiJeffreysova
  • person said:

As I mentioned yesterday I brought my truck into the shop for the brakes. Anyway there has been a crack in the windshield that I wasn't sure if insurance covered and was too lazy to bother finding out. Apparently there is an auto glass shop attached to my mechanic, the manager called me and we got a hold of my insurance to find out I have full coverage on glass so that will also be fixed for no direct cost to me.

I love it when that happens.
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    I had a snazzy new haircut.
    BhanteLuckyMaryAnneVastmindBeej
  • Correction: not peach, but plum blossoms. Yesterday I wrote five haiku in the courtyard inspired by them.
    lobsterMaryAnne
  • My morning cup of tea, simple mind simple pleasures.
    riverflownenkohailobster
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    i try to say to myself at least once, every single day, "today is the best day of my life". sometimes i say it when i am eating a piece of fruit, sometimes i say it it when i feel the sun hit my face, sometimes i say it when my dog licks my face, sometimes i say it when someone smiles at me or i at them.

it doesnt have to be a big event or some ego inflating venture- in fact, i have learned to place less importance on these thing, because that inspires people to put off happiness until some acheivement is obtained, and that is silly because the ego is never satissfied and always looks to another acheivement.

so my cup of coffee, that i am drinking right now, is another chance to say, "today is the best day of my life. ahhhhhhhhhhh." :)
    karastiJeffreyVastmindlobster
  • coffee
    MaryAnneJeffreylobster
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    Today, alkaseltzer plus because I can breathe through my nose and stop sneezing all over everything. I'm sure my family is thankful as well :D
    Oh, and the birds that cuddled together in front of our door this morning. They are not native to our area and I have no idea why they are here. They have been here for months and come to eat daily. They looked cold, I wanted to let them in but I doubt they or our dog would have appreciated that. It's always super cool to see them.
    nenkohaiJeffrey
  • First pipe after 2 days non-smoking. It is rainy but not raining. And not freezing cold like yesterday!
    Beej
  • riverflowriverflow Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Reading THIS.

@JamestheGiant
    karasti
  • karmablueskarmablues Veteran
    edited April 2013
    I was sent an email with the story and vdo of a very lovely and inspiring couple - Nolan and Morgan. Nolan had been fighting brain cancer for four years, had several brain surgeries and reached a stage where he had only a few months to live. So he decides to propose to his girlfriend, Morgan, who has been on his side from the very beginning of this ordeal. The couple dreamed of getting married but due to the medical bills was unable to afford it. A community of people and vendors who heard of their story came together, donating money and time, to organize a really beautiful wedding for them which took place in March. One of these vendors was a film company who captured the truly wonderful moments of the wedding on vdo which I've provided the link to below. Nolan passed away around one month after the wedding.

youtube.com/watch?v=Fk834n5rJ-I
    JeffreyMaryAnnenenkohaifederica
This discussion has been closed.