Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is it laughable?

lobsterlobster Veteran
edited April 2013 in General Banter
99.999% of the spiritual books and teachers out there are completely wrong. They are wrong for one simple reason, they are not enlightened, they don’t know what's going on. So in order to keep the illusion of personality, of the idea that there is something or someone, they invent stories, or theories, or ideas, wear special clothes, perform certain rituals and so on. They teach this stuff. But the truth is so simple, it is laughable.
http://www.spiritualteachers.org/norquist_article.htm

I bolded that bit . . . Oh dear . . .
The Truth hurts. What is a wannabe Buddha to do? Laugh?

You will notice this continuation of the dream state through practice is the preferred Modus Operandi. You will notice that change rather than being is part of the delusion.

Fortunately a couple of people here have had the good grace to admit they are enlightened. Most of us probably slept through that admission . . .

My life as a non Buddha will soon be over. What will you do? I won't be doing anything exceptional, just so you know . . .
The other day I noticed the Buddha Nature in someone . . . tsk tsk . . . something seems to be happening . . . :coffee:
kashi

Comments

• FlorianFlorian Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Is the author one of the 99.999%? It's odds on.
    SabrepersonJeffrey
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    Florian said:

Is the author one of the 99.999%? It's odds on.

Ah, he has a product he wishes to sell!! That always makes me suspicious that does; probably not very Buddhist of me though. Has he a free e-book?

I don't think people have to be awake to be teachers either; I stay sober by following a book written by a bunch of recovered alcoholics; I doubt any of them were enlightened (the co-cult-founder of A.A. definitely wasn't).

But they were still good teachers since they taught from their own experience; not theory or opinion.
    personJeffreypegembara
  • Ah, he has a product he wishes to sell!!
    Don't think he much cares whether you buy it or not.
    Listened to a talk he gave. Seems that everyone knows all about him already. He does not fulfil our fantasy dream enlightened being? Ah well . . . :)

Getting people sober is wonderful. Nothing to do with enlightenment though . . .

@Florian you can recognise the enlightened? Good news. :)
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    For someone who is enlightened he sure uses I and me and awful lot. :scratch:
  • So?
    How should he speak? You think 'no Self' means an inability to speak?
    I wonder if I have to fulfil others fantasises on awakening?

Nope. I won't be. :)
    mfranzdorf
    There are 2 points that I seem to disagree with him on.

1) That he is enlightened, and

2) That spiritual teachers and books are wrong because they are not enlightened

I didn't read the whole page but he sounds like he knows what he's saying from an advaita point of view and I do generally agree with him on his metaphysics. From my experience genuine teachers don't spend much time thinking about what they did or realized.

Maybe its just a difference of definition about what enlightenment is. Its quite probable that he has had a strong spiritual realization, its just not the type that this Buddhist recognizes as enlightenment.
    nenkohaiJeffreylobster
  • I'm not sure I'd recognize enlightenment if it bit me in the ass, to be honest.
    Vastmindlobsterswaydam
  • I did a quick google, and nowhere did I find any information about the man at all who is trying to sell his book on enlightenment. Apparently he wrote a book and a couple of articles and that's about all people know about him. Doesn't make his message invalid, but it is strange.

His "consciousness IS the universe because there is only consciousness" message is meaningless. He seems to have had some sort of breakthrough, but perhaps needs to continue out the other side of his satori to realize consciousness is consciousness and the universe is the universe, also.

Just my opinion.
  • Im drinking some coffee myself....

and my thoughts
    ".............."
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    Don't be so sure. Don't be so sure about other's enlightenment, but especially, don't be so sure about your own.
    nenkohailobsterInvincible_summer
  • @Sabre, what difference does it make, if there is still suffering to end?
  • Fivebells, you made some extremely good points. Well done.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    fivebells said:

@Sabre, what difference does it make, if there is still suffering to end?

For clarity, I was replying to lobster. But yes, the point is recognizing suffering. Once people think they are enlightened they won't make an effort to look deeper. Seeing deluded minds, it's very easy to overestimate ourselves spiritually. But I can see nothing wrong with underestimation.
  • OK the words in the article were those I would equate with realisation. Not totally polished, agreed. I found his honest expression of the enlightened state as something everyone has, to be simple and correct. You can hear him talk here - bit long . . .
    http://selfinquiry.org/media2010/11-Steven-Norquist-Oct-2010.mp3

You can only judge the enlightened and who is when in the 'condition'. Everything else is pseudo knowledge and 'thus have I heard'. Self evident I would have thought . . .

The point is very simple. Is enlightenment possible? Why so few enlightened Buddhists?
    Its quite probable that he has had a strong spiritual realization, its just not the type that this Buddhist recognizes as enlightenment.
    He know his state.
    Enlightenment is unmistakable. Simple, unmistakeable. He has nothing to prove. Maybe enlightenment could be mistaken for an arising? No . . . don't think so . . . :)

I will let you know shortly . . . sometime soon . . .
  • Do you think Mooji and Gangaji are enlightened? Seems to me they are in the right direction and if 'e' is so matter of fact I am sure that they are.
  • lobster said:

You can only judge the enlightened and who is when in the 'condition'. Everything else is pseudo knowledge and 'thus have I heard'. Self evident I would have thought . . .

Maybe you can only make a positive judgement regarding enlightenment when enlightened yourself. Anyone can make a negative judgement, though. Suffering is suffering. Clinging is clinging. He is doing both. One doesn't need enlightenment to see this, just basic reading comprehension.
    lobster said:

Enlightenment is unmistakable. Simple, unmistakeable. He has nothing to prove. Maybe enlightenment could be mistaken for an arising? No . . . don't think so . . .

Didn't you tell us a moment ago that only the enlightened are qualified to make this judgement?
    lobster said:

Is enlightenment possible? Why so few enlightened Buddhists?

Yes, it is possible. There are few enlightened Buddhists because Buddhists cling to Buddhism. Clinging to Universal Consciousness, General Anatta-Me or laziness as the natural order of things is just as problematic.

@Jeffrey Who/What's 'e'?
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I can't, and won't try, to say who is enlightened and who is not. One thing that caught me was that he says he knows he is awake, but later he says if you think you are enlightened then you are not. Of course, thinking is not knowing. I just would like to be able to sit down with him in person and ask him how he knows it's not just thinking, lol.

I have glimpses, very small glimpses. They have probably expanded by nanoseconds but it still makes me frustrated when I cannot hold them. It is like being in a dark room, and someone runs in, flips on the light and before I can start to discern shapes because I'm stunned by the light, they turn it off again. I most certainly have no clue where the lightswitch is to find it repeatedly. But I know it's there. I have no doubt there are people who can find the light switch. I am skeptical of people who claim they know where it is and that they have it turned on 24/7 and yet feel the need to explain it, describe it, and sell books about it. It seems to me that it not only is difficult to explain, but impossible to put words to. Beyond lame analogies I certainly lack the words to explain any of these moments that I've had. So I don't even try, because any word I could spew out of my thinking mind and then my mouth would not come close to doing justice to the actual moment. Nor do I think it helpful to try to explain them to someone else. When someone has one of those moments, they will know. Beyond that it does not matter. Trying to explain it to people only makes them strive to experience the same thing.
    JeffreylobsterInvincible_summerriverflow
  • Suffering is suffering. Clinging is clinging. He is doing both.
    Agreed. There are degrees of 'realisation clearing', that he mentions in the talk.

@fivebells, I must apologise, I have forgotten . . . I did ask if anyone on this forum was enlightened. A couple of people responded in the affirmative. Where you one? How do you judge your present capacity?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Ha! e for enlightenment. The shorter path to enlightenment is 'e' not 'enlightenment'. The other letters are not needed once you realize 'e'. Just kidding. The mahayana says AH is the shorthand version of all the prajnaparamita sutras. Not sure what that means I guess one of those cryptic things that mundane layperson like me doesn't understand.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited April 2013
    The short answer is no, but I don't really see enlightenment operating on the level of a person like that. Beings arise in personal experience as passions for the five skandhas, and it is the duty of a practitioner to lay them to rest. If I were enlightened, there would be no clinging, no passion, and no beings arising. If I were even simply a more skilled and dedicated practitioner, the beings would not run the show as much as they do. (As they are right now, as I procrastinate by writing this post.)

I don't think full enlightenment in the sense of no beings forever more is possible for mortal humans. I believe that if someone imprisoned Gautama Buddha in a dungeon, dulled his mind with torture and controlled his access to sustenance in the right way, they could induce a being in him. (I tried to test this hypothesis, but I couldn't get it past the ethics review board at my University. Pansies.)

I think the best we can hope for is freedom in the sense that germ theory and disinfectant frees us from microbial infection, with beings being the microbes, disinfectant being concentration, and insight being the germ theory. There are still germs, but they don't have nearly the impact on our lives that they did before the theory took hold. (At the same time, I know that the hostility implicit in the concentration-as disinfectant simile has a very limited place in meditation. It does have a place, though. See the sutta I linked above.)

I also think that under favorable conditions a master of concentration and insight can fashion and manifest whatever being seems appropriate to the current situation (concentration practice is the fashioning of a particular type of being, after all. It depends on a passion for attending to the object of meditation.) I am no such master, but I think such a master would not find writing an essay a colossal amount of work, because they would manifest an attitude appropriate to the task.

On the other hand, getting back to whether I am enlightened, there have been times with formless-realm beings (though I've only mastered first jhana) and times with no beings. I know what enlightenment is, the ideal the practice is heading towards, and how the practice heads there, and I am committed to heading in that direction. The longer short answer is that I just about meet the criteria for stream entry except for the doubt about full enlightenment for the rest of this life.
  • @karasti I can never come with as many words to type as you do. :)
    So, I will just say "ditto". I feel just the same.
  • @Jeffrey Oh, thanks. :)
  • Don't be so sure. Don't be so sure about other's enlightenment, but especially, don't be so sure about your own.
    I belong to the Neti-Neti school of enlightenment. Not only are we unsure, we are unsure of our uncertainty. Most of the enlightened say it is irreversible, tsk, tsk . . . never be so sure until you are dead and go through the whole process again . . .

As for my own enlightenment, be unsure for sure . . . :)
    riverflow
  • Did I say this? I don't think so. I was suggesting that if 99.999% of spiritual teachers are completely wrong then it is a near certainty that Mr. Norquist is one of them.

It's pretty obvious that he's talking nonsense. A teacher does not have to be enlightened to avoid being 'completely wrong'. All he has to do is claim no more than he knows. Unlike Mr. Norquist.

The two sentences quoted at the start are ridiculous. It is always ridiculous when people claim that everybody is wrong except themselves.

But perhaps these are not his actual words.

• From listening to him talk rather than his grasp of statistics, I am 97.5% sure he is enlightened. ;) Big deal, so what?
    Well . . . so he knows what he is talking about, rather than discussing dreams of being awake, he can share gnosis, knowing, experience.

Information sharing and conveyance can be carried by a book. Learners and seeking sangha can be inspirational - making us committed seekers.

'Spiritual Teachers' in a condition of z z z . . . are usually pleasant enough napping companions . . .

Only the enlightened know of what they speak . . . or maybe that is just my dream . . .
  • If a rich or famous guy says something - even rubbish - people will try to see great meaning in it. But if someone, like the guy in the OP, does the same, people ask for credentials and all sorts of evidence. Such is the nature of samsara.
    poptartlobster
  • Do you think Mooji and Gangaji are enlightened?
    Mooji yes. Very simple and straight forward, no twaddle, platitudes or artifice.

In essence the methodology is simple
    http://m.wikihow.com/Become-Enlightened

The idea that all enlightened people teach, have super powers or are somehow more than 'just awake' is . . . fantasy . . . Some teach, some have siddhi. Some appear very ordinary.
    FullCircle
    As I suspected, it seems to be a difference of definition.

http://m.wikihow.com/Become-a-Buddha#