Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Does meditation give you more energy??

Does meditation improve your general energy levels?? and if so why?

Thanks in advance xxx

Comments

• kokorokokoro Explorer
    For me, in the short amount of time i've been meditating, i've found that i think clearer in that i'm not as bogged down in thoughts which doesn't result in increased energy, rather i'm more productive.
    Lucy_Begood
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    Interesting question...
    I am less stressed and more chilled out and clear eyed. More relaxed.
    But not really more energetic physically.
    Sorry.
  • Are you getting more energy? Requiring more energy? :clap:

It depends on the degree of sloth and stupor and amount of time, type of meditation etc.

Tea and coffee just sap your energy - like pep pills. Occasional boost, fine, drug addicted caffeine fiend, not so energetic . . .

generally . . .
    Meditation of an hour replaces aprox. two hours of sleep. So you can sleep less. Some energising meditations such as some chants change your breathing patterns, so more energy.
    Meditation will often make you more positive and effective. Which seems like more energy. Most of the experienced meditators I have known seemed calm but also energised.

If you specifically want more energy, yoga, Qi ong or exercise is more energising.

Hope that is helpful, my apologies to the addicts out there, getting more Truthful as I approach imminent Buddhahood . . . ;)
    Lucy_BegoodJeffreykarasti
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited April 2013
    By meditation you don't put much energy in thinking, planning, memories and things like that. All this leftover energy goes towards experiencing things as they are. So, mentally, yes, there will be more energy. This can translate into the physical in certain ways, but it'll mainly be mental. When I wake up after having meditated well the day before, I feel much more refreshed and bright.

I've heard those who can meditate really deeply barely need any sleep at all. But then again, they don't exercise much, probably. ;) I've also had a period I needed almost no sleep, but at times meditation can also bring up 'hidden' sleep and I need to sleep more.

This is what meditation can do, but it shouldn't be the end goal I think.
    lobsterLucy_BegoodpersonStraight_Man
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    Generally yes because it stops other things from draining energy. Worrying for example, drains energy. Stop worrying, have more energy. Although when there is a long retreat, usually come back super energized. :)
    lobsterLucy_Begood
  • Yes, because as others have mentioned, it helps to unclutter my mind. I am also cutting sugar out of my diet (including all those hidden sugars in processed foods). This is helping with both the energy level and the ability to meditate - which helps with the energy level. Sort of the opposite of a vicious cycle. :thumbsup:
    riverflowlobsterInvincible_summer
  • I am also cutting sugar out of my diet (including all those hidden sugars in processed foods).

I have the occasional chocolate every now and then, but other than that I've cut out sugar since 2011 (and very importantly the HFCS which is put in almost everything in the US, though that is starting to change). But the biggest change was the bloody sodas which I used to drink several a day. I did that for years and when I stopped the for the first month with no sugar, it wasn't too bad (except for of course the psychological urge to want a soda). But for the entire following month my energy dropped drastically and I was perpetually exhausted. At first I thought I was ill, until it dawned on me I was having withdrawal symptoms! After that one month period, things improved significantly and I haven't looked back since.

(It really makes me think all these kids getting diagnosed with ADD etc are really just getting too much sugar combined with absurdly active TV shows-- who could pay attention to anything poisoning their bodies and minds with all that? Sugar is in too many foods!)

Anyway, I just wanted to give you a heads up @Lucy_Begood - the first month isn't bad, the second might be draining, but after that it smooths out. At least that was my experience. It certainly helps my already addled brain!
    Lucy_BegoodInvincible_summer
  • @riverflow, sugar really is an addiction that can drain energy. You get on a sugar high, and then you just quickly fall from the cliff. I cut out sodas a while back (the headaches were the worst part of withdrawal from them!).

But lately I realized I was still consuming too much in the way of refined flour and sugar/fructose and I decided to be much more . . . mindful? . . . about what I eat and drink. :)

Some dark chocolate now and then, and a little raw honey in my tea, and I'm perfectly satisfied. After about the second week, I noticed my energy level really increase.

I am actually thinking of my sugar avoidance as an extension of my commitment to follow the fifth precept now, because for me, sugar and its effects on my system were sort of intoxicating.
    Invincible_summerriverflowlobster
  • EnigmaEnigma Explorer
    I haven't observed a consistent impact of meditation on energy. On days that I've meditated eight hours, I notice a sense of complete exhaustion afterward. On most days when I meditate only one or two hours, energy levels can fluctuate in either direction.

However, the relationship may occur the other way around: energy is required for sustaining a regular meditation practice. This energy, viriya, is comparable to effort, diligence, enthusiasm. In the Abhidhamma, viriya is likened to the pillars that reinforce the structural foundation of a house. This type of energy has a supporting (upatthambana) upholding (paggahana), and sustaining (ussahana) quality. Energy thus serves as the foundation for a fruitful and consistent meditation practice.
    Invincible_summer
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Most of the time, meditation makes me feel pretty mellowed out - not tired, but definitely not what I'd attribute as gaining energy.

But a few times, I've had some weird meditation experience where I felt like some blissful energy was growing inside my body and it culminated in my laughing like some crazy guy for a good minute or so. After the sitting, I felt very awake - ironically this was supposed to be a "relaxing" sit to help me sleep!
    EnigmaLucy_Begoodriverflow
  • culminated in my laughing like some crazy guy for a good minute or so
    Sounds like a good minute of meditation. Not sure what you were doing beforehand ;)
    Invincible_summer
  • @gracelee, why do you ask?
  • Hi everyone!

I ask because I suffer from chronically low energy probally to do with anxiety which is very energy draining. however I have had problems sustaning a regular practice which might be to do with not having the foundations of energy like enigma suggests.
    Enigma said:

However, the relationship may occur the other way around: energy is required for sustaining a regular meditation practice. This energy, viriya, is comparable to effort, diligence, enthusiasm. In the Abhidhamma, viriya is likened to the pillars that reinforce the structural foundation of a house. This type of energy has a supporting (upatthambana) upholding (paggahana), and sustaining (ussahana) quality. Energy thus serves as the foundation for a fruitful and consistent meditation practice.

I almost always fall asleep in mediation. I stand up, try walking meditation etc but the lack of energy makes concentration very difficult and eventually I succumb to whats the F*&"!ing point mind.

I suppose I was hoping that further down the line, if was able establish a regular and effective practice, I might feel more energetic.

I have been three weeks without sugar in my diet and so far have noticed no difference in my energy levels.. but I'm still going to continue because I know it will help in the long run.

Thanks very much for your posts

Grace
  • @gracelee - as far as anxiety goes, sitting meditation, over time, may (as a side effect) help reduce it somewhat, and so, to that limited extent, you might not GET more energy, but perhaps also EXPEND LESS energy. But it will take some persistence to get to that point.

From my own experience about cutting sugar out-- week five is when it got bad for me, and it last for a month. Hopefully your experience will be different from mine, but if not, just hang in there!
  • I succumb to whats the F*&"!ing point mind
    Understood. :bawl:
    For a couple of years. I had chronic fatigue, brought on by candida. It was so bad, it took all my energy to get up and do the washing up. So if someone suggested exercise or anything other than diet, it would have been impossible.
    I had to cut out all sugar, including fruit sugar, refined carbohydrates and take large doses of garlic and other measures. No tea or coffee. It was hard but I was heading towards chronic shutdown of my body.

However I got back to health.
    As soon as I had enough energy, I was doing yoga and Qi Ong.
    I have been there.

Do you think yoga would help your anxiety? Do you have money for massage? Relaxation through hypnosis maybe?

Good luck. Let us know how you get on. The sugar cut out, good plan.
    person
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    @gracelee it is not only sugar and syrups and such but anything that is high glycemic that will impact your energy levels. You could avoid sweets and soda and other actual sugars forever and not notice a change if you are eating a lot of white flour products (bread, tortillas, cereals). Take a google at the glycemic index and look up some of the foods you eat regularly and see where they fall. If you are eating most high GI foods then they have the same impact as actual sugar on your body's systems. Some of them actually have a worse impact than sugar. You'd be better off eating sugar than you would eating most bagels, for example (as far as the effects on the blood sugar).

Do you meditate with your eyes open or closed? If you haven't already, you might try to do it with your eyes open, it usually helps prevent one from falling asleep. If you are too visually distracted pull your gaze closer it so it's only 2-3 feet in front of you. It's difficult to adjust to if you always meditate eyes closed, but it might be worth the try.

As others have reported, I do not have an actual change in energy from meditation. On the "good" days I am more clear headed, more focused, more ready to take on the day, and more positive/optimistic. My body energy levels are most changed by fresh air, sunshine, physical exercise, and diet. The more plant food I eat to replace grains, the better my energy level is. It makes sense. Grains do not interact well with my body, and the fewer of them I eat, the better off I am.

Lastly, you might want to look into a vitamin B complex supplement and vitamin D. Your doctor can check the vitamin D for you and tell you if you are within range. Vitamin B is found naturally only in animal foods. So if you do not eat meat/seafood you may not be getting enough.
    riverflowlobster
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I should clarify that and say that B12 is the one that is naturally found only in animal products. B6 and B9 can be found in nuts, beans and leafy greens (and a few other random things). Many products are of course fortified with B vitamins, but these are all processed products and are best avoided anyhow.
  • @gracelee Meditation can indeed help if the problem is emotional. If you suspect that anxiety is the main problem, try doing metta meditation for a while.
  • EnigmaEnigma Explorer
    A member of the lay-Sangha I lead who experiences anxiety and panic attacks said she has been able to better understand and notice what is happening in the body-mind through vipassana. Simply watching feelings/thoughts as they come and go without judgment, without attachment or aversion, may work for you as well. From personal experience, I notice that during vipassana, I am more awake and energized than during any other form of meditation. I recommend giving it a try.
  • @Enigma, what form of vipassana?
  • EnigmaEnigma Explorer
    Insight meditation as taught by the Buddha.

373. The monk who has retired to a solitary abode and calmed his mind, who comprehends the Dhamma with insight, in him there arises a delight that transcends all human delights.

374. Whenever he sees with insight the rise and fall of the aggregates, he is full of joy and happiness. To the discerning one this reflects the Deathless.

Dhammapada XXV, Bhikkhuvagga
  • gracelee said:

Thanks in advance xxx

Well energy is one factor of enlightment, and yes meditation can lead to a level where u will have lots, i mean lots of energy. Why?, because when the conditions are right and u let go of craving, u dont have hindrances for a while and joy/energy arises.

But its not easy, and by the way most people develop their meditation it leads to a different kind of place (a place where u have pleasant feelings and some energy but mind its kind of drowsy and feels weird)

• @Enigma Your advice is likely to be more helpful to Grace if you give more specific instructions. Do you mean Mahasi vipassana?
  • EnigmaEnigma Explorer
    Every type of vipassana I've practiced - be it that found in shikantaza, Mahasi vipassana, Goenka vipassana, or MBSR - has been equally effective for me.
  • OK. Those types of practices are very important and useful, but not good places to start if the issue is anxiety.
  • EnigmaEnigma Explorer
    As a technique that incorporates vipassana consistently, MBSR works extraordinarily well for anxiety. As a neuropsychologist, I would highly recommend it.
  • Well, as an anxious person who's tried all that stuff, I would recommend against it. Grace should try a few approaches and see what works, though.
  • EnigmaEnigma Explorer
    Certainly. The very reason I hesitated to "give instructions" in the first place. :)
  • EnigmaEnigma Explorer
    As a side note, I've suffered from severe generalized anxiety disorder, and meditation has been my one and only medication. I've noticed a total transformation in my habits of thought as a result. Results may vary.
    riverflowlobster
  • Enigma said:

meditation has been my one and only medication.

Meditation medication!
    Enigma
  • @Enigma I certainly agree that meditation is a useful response to anxiety. Vipassana as the first response can be harmful, though, because it trains the mind to view experience in terms of suffering. If anxiety is already present, suffering isn't what you need to be looking at straight away, not for a beginner at any rate. It's much easier to do that after the mind has been stabilized, gladdened, made pliant, etc. These are results of shamatha meditation, not vipassana.

All effective meditation teachings involve both shamatha and vipassana, and it may be that we are simply arguing about terminology, i.e. when you discuss Goenka, Mahasi, MBSR and shikantaza, you are referring to early exercises involving breath concentration or body scanning with relaxation. If so, those are not vipassana, those are shamatha. The vipassana comes in Goenka and Mahasi when you look at experience in terms of the three characteristics. In Goenka, you don't get to that until halfway through the first course, IIRC. In Mahasi as described by Daniel Ingram, you can't really progress with the insight component until you've reached first Jhana. In shikantaza, you don't "just sit" until you have basic breath concentration down. I don't remember where insight comes up in MBSR though I remember there's a section on it in The Mindful Way Through Depression, but it's certainly not the first exercise it recommends, and I would say that overall MBSR heavily emphasizes shamatha. The insight practices in these teachings are also useful for shifting the perspective on anxiety and developing the capacity to release it, but they are not good beginning practices.

The preliminary exercises in these teachings are all potentially useful responses to anxiety, but in my opinion, they don't really get to the heart of the matter, which is aversion. That is why I think metta is a better beginning practice in this case: learning to foster good will (and eventually to foster it for the target of the anxiety) addresses the matter directly.
    Invincible_summer
  • EnigmaEnigma Explorer
    edited April 2013
    My only advice @gracelee would be the classic ehi passiko, see for yourself.
  • EnigmaEnigma Explorer
    Personally, I've found that vipassana energizes me moreso than samatha. The vipassana I've learned and practiced isn't about merely viewing experience in terms of suffering, but rather as seeing things as they are, unadulterated, yathabhutam dhammata. Of course, this is after many years of practice and is not realistic for the first time practicing vipassana as a beginner. However, even in his introductions to vipassana, Goenka touches on anicca rather thoroughly, at least in the introductions I've experienced. For me, this has led to profound insight regarding impermanence. Seeing feelings as transitory has substantially lessened my anxiety, and the friend I mentioned from the Sangha I lead has had the same experience. As I said, however, results may vary.

The bulk of my one-two hour daily meditation practice is a samatha-vipassana hybrid. I supplement this with about a half hour of metta bhavana. I would not argue any single method is superior to another. However, vipassana as I and my Sangha have practiced it has not been anything even vaguely resembling "harmful."

Overall, vipassana has given me more viriya than samatha. Metta can be a bit draining, especially for those who struggle with self-esteem, which is correlated with anxiety. Just my two cents, though. I would not advise against any form and instead encourage whoever is interested to put the teachings to the test for themselves through experimentation. This is what has worked for me.
    Invincible_summer
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Of course we're arguing. This is an argument: "I'm a neuropsychologist* and MBSR, which consistently incorporates vipassana**, works extraordinarily well for anxiety.*** Therefore, vipassana is a good thing for Grace to try."

My argument is that there are different meditation practices even within a tradition/teaching, and some are more appropriate for a given circumstance than others. I am arguing that the class of practices you recommended is less appropriate given Grace's interests. You seem to disagree with both of these propositions. I was elaborating on why I believe them.

*Who does research, not patient treatment. An argument from authority, and a deceptive one at that.
    **Not true, to judge from Kabat-Zinn's writings.
    ***Not reliably established, to judge from the paltry data in The Mindful Way Through Depression, but that's to be expected, given the parlous state of (frequently irreproducible) psychology research. All any of us have really got is "It worked for me."
  • EnigmaEnigma Explorer
    I'm MBSR certified. MBSR, however, is not the focus of my research. There is no need to make this personal. I am not arguing and I'm sorry you see it that way. Out of respect for the OP, I will not be engaging in any further back-and-forth with you. Thanks for sharing.
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    I once wanted to attend Rohatsu Sesshin -- traditionally, one of the most intensive retreats of the year in Zen Buddhism. My problem was, I had an apartment-painting job during the time frame and could not afford to sacrifice the income. So I signed up to go to the retreat in the mornings and evenings only.

Morning meditation began around 4:30-5 and lasted until something like 8. Evening sittings began around 6 and lasted progressively later each night ... 9 o'clock on the first night, 9:30 on the second, 10 on the third, etc. until the last night ... which lasted all night.

Before the sesshin began, I was really worried that I wouldn't have the energy to do my day job. Getting up at 330, walking to the zendo in New York, sitting, doing house painting for eight hours, rushing home to shower, walking to the zendo by 6, getting
    home a half hour after the evening sitting lasted and then getting up at 330 all over again. I thought I might drop dead in the middle of it all ... running on fumes, that kind of thing.

Instead, as the week progressed, I found I was tired from work, but strangely full of bushy-tailed pep. I thought at first I might be hallucinating, but since my thoughts were clear enough and people didn't look at me as if I were crazy, I just let things alone and enjoyed the ride.

By the morning of the last sesshin day, after sitting all night on the heels of a busy week, I was nice and awake as I walked home ... not hyper or holy or any of that stuff ... just pleasantly alive on a sunny day.

Did the meditation help? I honestly don't know, but I do know what happened.
    EnigmaJeffreylobsterInvincible_summer
  • Yeah, sorry about getting personal @Enigma. I'm normally more tolerant of BS, but I get aggressive when someone's gaslighting me. Old unreleased family karma, have to work more on that.
    lobster
  • footiamfootiam Veteran
    edited April 2013
    gracelee said:

Thanks in advance xxx

For me, a balanced diet works better. Meditation merely calms the mind and they say, it could lead to nirvana.
  • fivebells said:

Of course we're arguing.

That post was started while this previous post said something along the lines of "Who's arguing? Meditation is meditation." Shame I only just noticed that @Enigma had backed away from that.