Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Sutra Club: Tittha Sutta

zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifelessin a dry wasteland Veteran
Broken into four short parts:

Tittha Sutta: Sectarians

Tittha Sutta: Sectarians (1)
(The well known allegory of the blind men and the elephant. Comparison between the lore in Buddhist, Jain, Hindu, and Sufi lore. Other commentary.)

Tittha Sutta: Sectarians (2)

Tittha Sutta: Sectarians (3)
(The well known allegory of the arrow.)
riverflowJeffreyInvincible_summerantking85

Comments

• "Having approached the brahmans & contemplatives who hold that... 'Whatever a person experiences... is all caused by what was done in the past,' I said to them: 'Is it true that you hold that... "Whatever a person experiences... is all caused by what was done in the past?"' Thus asked by me, they admitted, 'Yes.' Then I said to them, 'Then in that case, a person is a killer of living beings because of what was done in the past. A person is a thief... unchaste... a liar... a divisive speaker... a harsh speaker... an idle chatterer... greedy... malicious... a holder of wrong views because of what was done in the past.' When one falls back on what was done in the past as being essential, monks, there is no desire, no effort [at the thought], 'This should be done. This shouldn't be done.' When one can't pin down as a truth or reality what should & shouldn't be done, one dwells bewildered & unprotected. One cannot righteously refer to oneself as a contemplative. This was my first righteous refutation of those brahmans & contemplatives who hold to such teachings, such views.

I don't understand why a fatalist (my paraphrase or assessment) would not have a desire to act as they should and not act as they shouldn't. The reason would be that if the past conditions the present then the present conditions the past. Is he like refuting 'choiceless awareness'?
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    @Jeffrey I'm not sure I understand your argument about if the past conditions the present the inverse is also true.

I just made a thread asking for help finding a sutta, it happened to be that very one. I find that a common view in TB even among learned lamas and geshes to be that everything that happens is a result of karma. This view has never sat well with me mainly because of the reasons the Buddha gives here. Its unclear to me though what else the Buddha thinks acts as a cause for what happens to us from this sutta alone, probably there are explanations elsewhere.
  • I think he is refuting fatalism based on there being no reason to cultivate virtue since the past is conditioning everything. My idea is that the present is a cross-section of time space and this cross section will later on be a past which is conditioning things. So logically we Would want to cultivate good things. That's how I understand fatalism.
    It seems to me what you are arguing for is some kind of compatibalism as modern free will philosophy might call it.

The way I understand what the Buddha is saying, not only in regards to karma but also in the following paragraphs in relation to an omnipotent creator and no causes and conditions, is that what we cultivate in the present under these philosophies are also only products of causes outside of our control and so we can't really create anything it is already dictated.

I have my own thoughts on free will that I won't get into here to try and keep the discussion on the sutta.
  • I don't think we are a being who has 'outside' things happening to them.. So if their is a union between us and our environment what does that do to karma being everything or nothing?
    antking85
    Jeffrey said:

I don't think we are a being who has 'outside' things happening to them.. So if their is a union between us and our environment what does that do to karma being everything or nothing?

I'm not really sure, the Theravada teachings aren't that familiar to me, but the sutta continues to list these things:
    "But this Dhamma taught by me is unrefuted, undefiled, blameless, not faulted by knowledgeable brahmans & contemplatives. And which Dhamma taught by me is unrefuted, undefiled, blameless, not faulted by knowledgeable brahmans & contemplatives? 'There are these six properties' is a Dhamma taught by me that is unrefuted, undefiled, blameless, not faulted by knowledgeable brahmans & contemplatives. 'There are these six media of sensory contact' is a Dhamma taught by me that is unrefuted, undefiled, blameless, not faulted by knowledgeable brahmans & contemplatives. 'There are these eighteen explorations for the intellect' is a Dhamma taught by me that is unrefuted, undefiled, blameless, not faulted by knowledgeable brahmans & contemplatives. 'There are these four noble truths' is a Dhamma taught by me that is unrefuted, undefiled, blameless, not faulted by knowledgeable brahmans & contemplatives.
    So it seems like the Buddha is saying that there are other factors besides karma that influence our lives and that it is not all encompassing.
  • There are other ways of looking at karma. For example we can share the merit, virtue, blessing, entanglement of those involved in intense practice eg. one of the three jewels, the Sangha.
    . . . a sort of co-counselling or peer review
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Co-counselling

We can have confidence in our Buddhahood pulling us into an inevitable future. In other words karma can come from our attainment . . .

Karma is something we can constantly let go of. Failure is an option, let it go. Success is irrelevant, let it go. Now - What?
  • @Person

Ah those sense media are part of the 12 links or Nidanas and ignorance is the first, and sankhara/fabrications the second. I would expect that fabrication had to do with karma and ultimately leading to birth and death. I believe karma is illusory even so as birth is illusory. Indeed if there is no notion of birth and death it is hard for me to see karma because I think of a being always in connection with karma.

http://www.ask.com/wiki/Twelve_Nidānas?o=2800&qsrc=999
    riverflow
  • @Jeffery can you say more about how you believe cause and effect is illusionary?
    Yes I think karma is illusory and in the conventional truth part of the Two Truths. So while it may not be a part of ultimate reality it still has a function and a repeatable reality to it.

I don't think I'm disagreeing with you at all just stating it from my point of view.

I read the other suttas in the OP and I wonder if this discussion doesn't fall under those:
    "Monks, the wanderers of other sects are blind & eyeless. They don't know what is beneficial and what is harmful. They don't know what is the Dhamma and what is non-Dhamma. Not knowing what is beneficial and what is harmful, not knowing what is Dhamma and what is non-Dhamma, they keep on arguing, quarreling, & disputing, wounding one another with weapons of the mouth, saying, 'The Dhamma is like this, it's not like that. The Dhamma's not like that, it's like this.'"
    Studying the Pali canon makes me feel like an ignorant padwan again. :dunce: :)
    riverflow
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2013
    I think this is somewhat true. The personal mandala as we think we are removed from the center all of those connections seem to be cause and effect. But really we are not removed from the center. So this is like the two truths. There is cause and effect but it is not as it seems. Indeed only the Buddha understands karma (or cause and effect).

from Buddhism Connect an emailing of teacher and student discussions given by Lama Shenpen Hookham.
    Summary: Karma refers to the way in which our actions have consequences and it is impossible to understand it fully without a complete understanding of reality, which none of us has. Nevertheless, we can say something about it, and here Lama Shenpen talks about it in relation to our personal mandala.

A student asks:

Can you explain something which Rigdzin Shikpo said in a talk? He was talking about connections. So often people ask how, if we are not reborn as our present selves, karmic actions are carried on to the next life. Rigdzin Shikpo said that "conditions change but the centre remains the same". So could it be that the karmic resonances we have set up in this life affect the centre, but because the conditions change the person becomes a different aspect of that centre yet includes those karmic resonances? I'd be very grateful to know what you can tell me about this.

Lama Shenpen replies:

You are of course asking about karma which the Buddha alone truly understands. It remains mysterious even for the high level Bodhisattvas. It is worth considering why that might be so. If only the Buddha is truly one with infinite totality, then it’s obvious that everyone else including high level Bodhisattvas fall short of such a view. Nevertheless I think there is more that can be said in principle in terms of how karma works.

The way I think of it is that each of us is a point of view on reality that is not separate from the totality of reality and which one could perhaps symbolise as the centre of the mandala of totality. We are each unaware of our identity with the centre and so could be symbolised as a point a bit removed from the centre. But since this is a symbolic representation there is something not quite true about it. We are not really a bit removed from the centre but to us it seems so – hence the need for a path.

If we think of our personal mandala – the way our life of lives manifest to us – it’s as if we are dealing with an individual level of reality a bit removed from the centre and spreading out around us as if at right angles to the line from the centre to the centre of our personal mandala.

I would say karma happens on that individual level spreading around us into the connections we make on that level. We meet with other beings on that level who share the same karmic world as us and then as we die we dissolve back into the centre before striking out again manifesting again along the line that radiates out from our particular point of view. Again if we do not recognise that we are actually nothing other than the centre we identify with a point of view a bit down the line – a partial view, a limited view, but a view shared by the beings we have connections with. So the connections manifest as conditions at a particular time and place that constitutes our individual mandala. So whatever we did in relation to all the connections within that mandala will be affecting and conditioning how our individual mandala is going to manifest.

We won’t re-manifest again as the individual at the time and place we were in our past life. The conditions have changed even though the connections they were based on are still there somewhere in the totality of everything. We will still be our own particular point of view though and so it will be to us that the next life will manifest. In that sense it will be our own karma that influences and manifests in our future lives – even though we didn’t go anywhere and fundamentally the totality of reality has not changed in the slightest.

I wonder if this makes any sense at all and whether it at least addresses your question even if it doesn’t answer it.

Mandala: Any structure with a centre and periphery. Anything that appears in our awareness takes the form of a mandala consisting of a central focus and what surrounds it. Mandalas have a structure and dynamic in the sense that they are held together by connections between centre and periphery, with emotionality at the boundaries and where one mandala touches on another. In most contexts one can substitute for mandala ‘world’, as used in the metaphorical sense. For example, we talk of the world of our experience, our social world, our psychological world, our whole world collapsing

Karma: ‘action’ or ‘work’. Although it refers to our volitional actions that have inevitable consequences for us in this and future lives, the term is commonly used to refer to the consequences themselves, especially in the way they manifest as happiness and suffering in this life.
    zombiegirlriverflow
  • I should add that karma has to do with sentient beings in my opinion. A tulip sprouting is not karma as I see it because there is no mind. If there is a being watching the tulip then it has to do with karma.
    riverflow
  • I liked this:
    People are intent on the idea of 'I-making' and attached to the idea of 'other-making.' Some don't realize this, nor do they see it as an arrow. But to one who, having extracted this arrow, sees, [the thought] 'I am doing,'[1] doesn't occur; 'Another is doing,' doesn't occur. This human race is possessed by conceit bound by conceit, tied down by conceit. Speaking hurtfully because of their views they don't go beyond the wandering-on.
    lobsterInvincible_summerzombiegirlriverflow
  • After reading the sutta, I have some thoughts to share on this, but little time at the moment. What I do want to make a comment on, is this though:

What is the Buddha's central concern here? "When one falls back on [INSERT DOCTRINE HERE] as being essential, monks, there is no desire, no effort [at the thought], 'This should be done. This shouldn't be done.' When one can't pin down as a truth or reality what should & shouldn't be done, one dwells bewildered & unprotected."

What the Buddha keeps coming back to is placing the responsibility for action upon oneself. By looking for external reasons, one remains "stuck in inaction." The Buddha is less interested in the notion of Truth with a capital "T"--but with "what is beneficial and what is harmful." The Buddha is less concerned with true or false "information" and more concerned with method.

The problem with arguing about what "the Truth" really is is that it is by nature one-sided, concerned with "true," false," "objective," "subjective," "absolute," "relative," "good," evil," and a whole host of other metaphysical problems that actually lead one further away from the problem of dukkha. It actually exacerbates the problem.

Bearing this in mind, I think this helps to contextualize when the Buddha himself speaks about truth or good in relation to the Buddhadharma.

Anyway, something else to consider. I hope to write more tomorrow evening when I have more time!
    zombiegirllobsterInvincible_summerCinorjer
  • Good stuff happening here! Lovely reflections!
  • I'd just like to add a few things to what the others have already said.

On the unnumbered section, I think one thing the Buddha is trying to point out is the qualities that makes one able to "righteously refer to oneself as a contemplative". He seems to say that a true contemplative is one who is concerned with moral conduct, ie. discerning what is right and wrong. Apart from that, a true contemplative is also one who concerns himself with trying to "pin down as truth or reality what should and shouldn't be done" which I think means obtaining wisdom.

Another thing I think the Buddha is doing is to distinguish his teachings to the teachings of the three sectarian guilds on two important grounds.

His main criticisms of the sectarian guilds are that their views cause them to: (1) be "stuck in [a doctrine of] inaction" and (2) "dwell bewildered and unprotected" because they "can't pin down as a truth or reality what should and shouldn't be done".

So I think the point he is trying to make is that his teachings leads one to have the will and effort to discern "[what] should be done; [what] shouldn't be done". In addition, his teachings will also lead one to be able to "pin down as truth or reality what should and shouldn't be done". So the first element seems to be concerned with a desire to discern what is moral conduct as the Buddha refers to killing, stealing, lying, etc. The second element seems to be concerned with the ability to obtain wisdom (ie. pin down truth and reality) upon which one uses to discern what should or shouldn't be done as the Buddha also specifically refers to a person who is "a holder of wrong views".

So I think the selection of the Dhamma that the Buddha declares in the unnumbered section of the Suttra points to the main theme that there are causes and effects and that these causes and effects are not merely dependent on external factors. Thus we should be concerned with discerning what should be done and what shouldn't be done. And thus if one should be concerned with that, then one should also "pin down as truth or reality what should and shouldn't be done". For this, the Buddha declares that it is possible to reach cessation of ignorance through the noble eightfold path. Therefore, this implies that through practicing the noble eightfold path, one will be able to "pin down the truth and reality of what should and shouldn't be done".

Regarding the numbered sections of the Suttra, one theme that runs across all three is the Buddha's comments that the contemplatives in question are "attached" to their views and in the third numbered section, he also specifically mentions people being "conceited". He seems to be saying that by being attached to views and being conceited, this leads to (1) harmful conduct, ie. "quarrel and fight" and "speaking hurtfully because of their views" and (2) "sinking in mid-stream", ie. not reaching the goal. So I think that one of the important themes of the unnumbered sections is to point out that being attached to one's own view of the truth and being conceited are both a source of harmful conduct and an obstacle to reaching the goal of seeing the Dhamma. This means we should maintain an investigative and open mind rather than being the same as those contemplatives mentioned in the Suttra who say, "Only this is true; anything otherwise is worthless."
    riverflowpersonzombiegirlInvincible_summer
  • Interesting, I thought he was saying that nobody could pin down reality and it was vexing to try. I like the part about being open minded.

• "But this Dhamma taught by me is unrefuted, undefiled, blameless, not faulted by knowledgeable brahmans & contemplatives. And which Dhamma taught by me is unrefuted, undefiled, blameless, not faulted by knowledgeable brahmans & contemplatives? 'There are these six properties' is a Dhamma taught by me that is unrefuted, undefiled, blameless, not faulted by knowledgeable brahmans & contemplatives. 'There are these six media of sensory contact' is a Dhamma taught by me that is unrefuted, undefiled, blameless, not faulted by knowledgeable brahmans & contemplatives. 'There are these eighteen explorations for the intellect' is a Dhamma taught by me that is unrefuted, undefiled, blameless, not faulted by knowledgeable brahmans & contemplatives. 'There are these four noble truths' is a Dhamma taught by me that is unrefuted, undefiled, blameless, not faulted by knowledgeable brahmans & contemplatives.
    Dhammanusati (Recollection of the Dhamma).

Svakkhato bhagavata dhammo, Well-expounded is the Exalted One’s Dhamma,
    sanditthiko, to be seen by oneself,
    akaliko, here and now, not delayed in time,
    ehipassiko, (inviting one to) come and see,
    opanayiko, leading inward,
    paccatam veditabbo to be seen by the wise men
    vinnuhi’ti. for themselves.

'There are these eighteen explorations for the intellect'
    Eye, eye object, eye consciousness
    ear, .........
    nose ........
    tongue.........
    body.....
    mind, mind objects, mind consciousness.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited April 2013
    Jeffrey said:

I don't understand why a fatalist (my paraphrase or assessment) would not have a desire to act as they should and not act as they shouldn't. The reason would be that if the past conditions the present then the present conditions the past. Is he like refuting 'choiceless awareness'?

No, the Buddha recommended something quite close to 'choiceless awareness' to extremely advanced practitioners.
    "Then, Bāhiya, you should train yourself thus: In reference to the seen, there will be only the seen. In reference to the heard, only the heard. In reference to the sensed, only the sensed. In reference to the cognized, only the cognized. That is how you should train yourself. When for you there will be only the seen in reference to the seen, only the heard in reference to the heard, only the sensed in reference to the sensed, only the cognized in reference to the cognized, then, Bāhiya, there is no you in connection with that. When there is no you in connection with that, there is no you there. When there is no you there, you are neither here nor yonder nor between the two. This, just this, is the end of stress."[2]

Through hearing this brief explanation of the Dhamma from the Blessed One, the mind of Bāhiya of the Bark-cloth right then and there was released from effluents through lack of clinging/sustenance. Having exhorted Bāhiya of the Bark-cloth with this brief explanation of the Dhamma, the Blessed One left.
    The problem with 'choiceless awareness' as a practice is that first you have to learn to undo the other things that are present with reference to the seen/heard/sensed/cognized, and that developing the skills to even see those other things takes a lot of preliminary work. The Buddha's instructions to Bahiya imply that "In reference to the x, there will be only the x" basically is enlightenment (the end of stress.) So practices like "choiceless awareness" are a kind of "fake it 'til you make it" approach without the necessary preliminaries.

The problem with determinism as described in this passage is that it leaves no room for present action to changes the consequences one faces, because it implies that one's present choices are entirely determined by one's history. BTW, the creator-god fallacy the Buddha describes is closer to fatalism, as fatalism ascribes events to (the god of) fate.
    riverflowJeffreyInvincible_summer
  • BUMP. [including a reminder for myself!]
  • EnigmaEnigma Explorer
    edited April 2013
    "And they lived arguing, quarreling, and disputing, wounding one another with weapons of the mouth, saying, 'The Dhamma is like this, it's not like that. The Dhamma's not like that, it's like this.'" (Tittha Sutta)

Sectarianism can only cause conflict, as different views are bound to conflict.

Looking at the same truth from different viewpoints, people who do not see the larger picture or think holistically only encounter part of the truth, a part that conflicts with other parts if taken individually to be the sole truth. By limiting one’s perspective to a single view, by exclusively holding one stance, one never sees anything beyond one's narrow field of vision. All one has ever seen is contained in a tiny box, compartmentalized and demarcated, separate from anything else. Attachment to views makes one possessive of one’s beliefs.

By seeing only one side of a multi-dimensional figure, a single face of 6-sided die, one misses the whole image, the bigger picture.
    riverflowzombiegirlJeffreyInvincible_summer
  • Enigma said:

Looking at the same truth from different viewpoints, people who do not see the larger picture or think holistically only encounter part of the truth, a part that conflicts with other parts if taken individually to be the sole truth. By limiting one’s perspective to a single view, by exclusively holding one stance, one never sees anything beyond one's narrow field of vision. All one has ever seen is contained in a tiny box, compartmentalized and demarcated, separate from anything else. Attachment to views makes one possessive of one’s beliefs.

By seeing only one side of a multi-dimensional figure, a single face of 6-sided die, one misses the whole image, the bigger picture.

Beautifully expressed @Enigma ... mis-taking a part for the whole.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    I can appreciate this sutta because it points out the negative aspects of the views that come with the mormon church that I got involved with for a while.
    riverflow
  • Enigma said:

Sectarianism can only cause conflict, as different views are bound to conflict.

There's a place for conflict and harsh speech. Not often, and not for me over in the other thread (sorry again, and sorry for the snide remarks in my apology) but there is.
  • I feel like the Tittha Sutta ties in with the Kalama Sutta because it shows another aspect of how clinging to views is harmful.

I think when I first read this I was thinking of this as a sort of dismissal of all metaphysical views because they cannot accurately describe existence. That would conveniently coincide with my own personal anti-metaphysical views.

But I think now that is not the Buddha's point here at all. It seems to me that it is views AS attachments that the Buddha is addressing--and the reason why is because the harm that comes by clinging to them, whatever such a view might be (even if it were "true").

The important part the Buddha is addressing isn't the content of any of these metaphysical beliefs, but what they all appear to hold in common: "Only this is true; anything otherwise is worthless." Such dogmatism leads to quarrelling that causes more harm than good.

Take a quick look at history and you can see, in both religion and in politics how ideology becomes an idol to which we have fervently sacrificed lives. But even when it doesn't involve killing, but just arguing, when it becomes heated, anger is needlessly stirred up for all parties concerned and so it doesn't even matter if someone is right and someone is wrong--no one benefits from clinging to a view of any kind--it only stirs up confusion and anger. And for that, you don't even have to look at history--you can look at an internet forum sometimes (me included!).

No matter what view one takes, at best it can only describe the nature of things partially, not entirely (hence the story of the elephant and the blind men). We cling to that partiality and as a consequence we end up "wounding one another with weapons of the mouth."

It has been said more than once here that Right View is also a view. But the difference I think is that Right View is not dependent on concepts ABOUT what is true, but about "entering" truth, if that makes any sense. The common mistake is thinking that "truth"--whetever it "is"--is something expressed in words. But "truth" is not an ideology to believe in. Right View is expressed not in words, but in one's daily life and interactions with others--one must "go beyond / the wandering-on" of samsara by developing non-attachment.

It reminds me of something Kafka wrote in his notebook: "Not everyone can see the truth, but he can be it." Anything less results in stirring up passions which are harmful. Please note, I'm not saying views are harmful per se, but clinging to views are. It is possible to skillfully foster beneficial lives without clinging to views, even Buddhist views.

I imagine this is part of the reasoning behind the first three of the 14 mindfulness trainings in the Order of Interbeing:

[1] Aware of the suffering created by fanaticism and intolerance, we are determined not to be idolatrous about or bound to any doctrine, theory, or ideology, even Buddhist ones. We are committed to seeing the Buddhist teachings as a guiding means that help us learn to look deeply and develop understanding and compassion. They are not doctrines to fight, kill, or die for. We understand that fanaticism in its many forms is the result is the result of perceiving things in a dualistic or discriminative manner. We will train ourselves to look at everything with openness and the insight of interbeing in order to transform dogmatism and violence in ourselves and the world.

[2] Aware of the suffering created by attachment to views and wrong perceptions, we are determined to avoid being narrow-minded and bound to present views. We are committed to learning and practicing nonattachment from views and being open to other’s insights and experiences in order to benefit from the collective wisdom. Insight is revealed through the practice of compassionate listening, deep looking, and letting go of notions rather than through the accumulation of intellectual knowledge. We are aware that the knowledge we presently possess is not changeless, absolute truth. Truth is found in life, and we will observe life within and around us in every moment, ready to learn throughout our lives.

[3] Aware of the suffering brought about when we impose our view on others, we are determined not to force others, even our children, by any means whatsoever – such as authority, threat, money, propaganda, or indoctrination – to adopt our views. We are committed to respecting the rights of others to be different, to choose what to believe and how to decide. We will, however, learn to help others let go of and transform narrowness through loving speech and compassionate dialogue.
    Straight_ManzombiegirlInvincible_summer
  • And if you disagree with me, you are dead wrong!!! haha
    personInvincible_summer
  • Views and beliefs are not the enemy. Only wanting for things to be this way or that way that causes dukkha and conflict.
    The Great Way is not difficult
    for those who have no preferences.
    When love and hate are both absent
    everything becomes clear and undisguised.
    Make the smallest distinction, however,
    and heaven and earth are set infinitely apart.
    If you wish to see the truth
    then hold no opinions for or against anything.
    To set up what you like against what you dislike
    is the disease of the mind.
    When the deep meaning of things is not understood
    the mind's essential peace is disturbed to no avail.

Hsin-hsin Ming
    http://allspirit.co.uk/hsinhsinming.html
    riverflowzombiegirlJeffrey
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    Enjoying reading through this discussion. :) This quote seems relevant:
    “Nirvana can be translated as freedom, freedom from views. And in Buddhism, all views are wrong views. When you get in touch with reality, you no longer have views. You have wisdom. You have a direct encounter with reality. And that is no longer called views.”
    -Thich Nhat Hanh
    riverflowJeffreyperson